Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Liverpool will never win again. Relegated by this time next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd like to point out that I was all about selling that sack of poo poo Lovren this offseason and almost everyone else posted "oh he's only the fourth defender, how much of a difference will it make." I loving told you all!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's some good twitter.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/lgbtqfc/status/1237133249874362369

Reported as abusive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They voided the lower leagues. Precedent set?

Even if they just give Liverpool the trophy you're gonna have plenty of folks saying "well, they didn't ACTUALLY win the title." Gonna be fun times.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Look, all I'm saying is that Oliwan is going a bit far to stop Liverpool from winning the league.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

greazeball posted:

They could have just bought him out for $6 mil but they're paying him $25 mil instead. That seems... bad? Deferred money is still money, it's not worthless.

Ungratek is mostly right about how this works out, but a million dollars is still what an average quality relief pitcher makes in MLB during their first arbitration years (4th "full year" in the top league, baseball salary structure is byzantine). He's entirely right that the Mets ownership, clowns that they are, put all their money into Madoff and went bust when Madoff did. They still somehow own the team, to all of us Mets fan's chagrin.

Ungratek posted:

Deferring money is really common in baseball for the above reason.

This is the only thing I disagree with- deferring money wasn't nearly as common back when the Bonilla agreement happened. And a lot of teams stay away from doing it now, in large part because the Mets are shelling out $1m in nigh perpetuity for a guy who's been retired for 20 years. A few teams do it all the time, though. The Washington Nationals have close to a couple hundred million dollars of salary deferred between their top two starting pitchers. In 2027 and 2028 the Nationals will be paying $15m in deferred salary to Max Scherzer and $26.6m in deferred salary to Stephen Strasburg. Their total payroll this past year was about $200m.

My understanding is that the Nats do this because their owner is a 94 year old megabillionaire who wanted to see a world series championship in his lifetime. Which he got! Who cares what salaries are due when he'd be 102 years old? Can you imagine pro football teams trying to pull this off, though? The financial catastrophes would be worth the price of admission.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Bruce Sutter's still getting paid over a million a year by the Atlanta Braves? He hasn't played in a game since the 1980s!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i have no idea who bruce sutter is but he loving rules

He was a real good relief pitcher in the late 1970s and early 1980s. That contract was still insane at the time, $1.5m a year in 1985 made him the 5th or 6th highest paid player in the game at the time. And he was TERRIBLE for Atlanta. Under replacement level (replacement level = whichever rando you call up from the minors for the league minimum wage of $60,000/year. Sutter, earning one of the fattest contracts, was worse than that). This is probably still one of the very worst contracts ever. I can't believe I wasn't loving told about this! I don't feel shame about Bobby Bonilla anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lemon posted:

fuckin plastics

:wow: