Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Isola is a bum, has no connections, and actively hates the Knicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Isola is a bum, has no connections, and actively hates the Knicks

Are you telling me Thibs is NOT gonna be the coach cuz I don't believe it, won't believe it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

how dare you malign fill in frank

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Why would any coach with options choose to go to the Knicks? Even putting aside all the Dolan stuff just look at that roster

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

On this we can agree my man. Bucks Suck!

As a Celtics fan, who would you rather face in the first round, the Sixers or the Pacers?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well yeah, that's what I said, teams take less 3s against the Sixers and they make fewer shots because of it, that's not how I'd define the best 3 point defending team unless you wanna flip the books and say Milwaukee is the worst 3 point defending team because they allow more 3s at a worse shooting percentage than the Sixers

Anyways I'm hating too much so I'll cut it out. Sixers forever

Isn't 3 point attempts allowed the part of 3 point defense that teams have the most control over though?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Why would any coach with options choose to go to the Knicks? Even putting aside all the Dolan stuff just look at that roster

You kidding me? You got a 12 year old who hasn't shot a basketball in 3 years and is nicknamed after a pack of cigarettes. You got Julius Dreidel spinning like a top. You got Crazy Eyes Killa. You got a potential 15 winshare big man getting 20 minutes per night. You got Fort Knox, building his fortress with gold bricks. RJ Soprano. Uhh, you got, gently caress, I know there are other guys on the team, legally there has to be

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NotWearingPants posted:

As a Celtics fan, who would you rather face in the first round, the Sixers or the Pacers?

Pacers for sure, Sixers would be second to last on the list just cuz there's no real answer for Embiid if he remembers how good he is on any given night

MourningView posted:

Isn't 3 point attempts allowed the part of 3 point defense that teams have the most control over though?

It seems to correlate with pace for obvious reasons but I could see that argument too, I just don't buy that Milwaukee is the worst three point defending team so I'm dubious on using it as the main measuring pole. The "differential" category seems to work pretty well in terms of my eye test but my eyes suck

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

Pacers for sure, Sixers would be second to last on the list just cuz there's no real answer for Embiid if he remembers how good he is on any given night

But the Sixers are also horribly coached and tend to implode on a regular basis.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone doesn't believe in the Bucks because they lost 4-2 to a team that does not exist in the NBA anymore, which is Kawhi+two stretch defending bigs behind him

I guess the closest is the 76ers with Ben Simmons taking the Kawhi defensive role but uh don't think he's shooting contested jumpers 30 times a game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NotWearingPants posted:

But the Sixers are also horribly coached and tend to implode on a regular basis.

I don't like to poo poo on the Pacers cuz they have a lot of players I like but they really, really don't look good since Oladipo returned. Not really blaming it on him but they have some awkward fits that McMillan is struggling with

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't like to poo poo on the Pacers cuz they have a lot of players I like but they really, really don't look good since Oladipo returned. Not really blaming it on him but they have some awkward fits that McMillan is struggling with

Not disagreeing, but It's funny how they are now two games out of the #4 seed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

It seems to correlate with pace for obvious reasons but I could see that argument too, I just don't buy that Milwaukee is the worst three point defending team so I'm dubious on using it as the main measuring pole. The "differential" category seems to work pretty well in terms of my eye test but my eyes suck

I was genuinely asking, I have no idea where people have settled on it. The teams allowing high percentages of them do mostly seem to have great overall defenses so you're probably right and it's more about the kind of three you're allowing (open vs contested, corner 3s vs above the break, off the dribble va C&S, etc). The Bucks have a really good paint defense so they could just be forcing teams into lots of lovely desperation looks which would track with what I see in games.

Definitely agree that people are generally underrating the Bucks, they should be a really heavy favorite and it's goofy that people are holding past Bud teams where he did not have the best player in the league against them.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Best Giannis Defender has powerful Lebron Stopper energy as a take. Demarre Carrol: Lebron Stopper or Pj Tucker: Lebron Stopper becoming hilariously overmatched dunk props as soon as the series starts seems a likely case for the fabled Giannis Defender especially since every playoffs embiid looks like a fat guy playing his very first game of full court.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I was genuinely asking, I have no idea where people have settled on it. The teams allowing high percentages of them do mostly seem to have great overall defenses so you're probably right and it's more about the kind of three you're allowing (open vs contested, corner 3s vs above the break, off the dribble va C&S, etc). The Bucks have a really good paint defense so they could just be forcing teams into lots of lovely desperation looks which would track with what I see in games.

Bucks are also blowing teams out which I assume would lead to more threes

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NotWearingPants posted:

Not disagreeing, but It's funny how they are now two games out of the #4 seed.

Given the trajectory of said teams, Miami might just be headed for that 5th seed if Philly's weirdo reserve squad keeps scoring out of their minds, their defense has gone off a cliff lately

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Bucks are also blowing teams out which I assume would lead to more threes

yeah that makes sense too

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

what i am saying is pj tucker is exactly as good of a center as joel embiid

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

Definitely agree that people are generally underrating the Bucks, they should be a really heavy favorite and it's goofy that people are holding past Bud teams where he did not have the best player in the league against them.

Yeah that's a good read on it, just yet another thing where we don't really have the information available to use stats to determine the whole story. The defensive stat revolution will come one day but not today

And re: the Bucks I am loving terrified of them but bluster helps the whole situation

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Celtics fans are the only group that collectively properly rate Kris Middleton because of that one playoff series where he went nuclear against them

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MourningView posted:

yes

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I generally organize the columns until I find the one where my team is the highest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just wanna point out that giannis is scoring more, has more rebounds, and generally doing the same number of assists with better 3 point percentage in less mpg than last year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well yeah, that's what I said, teams take less 3s against the Sixers and they make fewer shots because of it, that's not how I'd define the best 3 point defending team unless you wanna flip the books and say Milwaukee is the worst 3 point defending team because they allow more 3s at a worse shooting percentage than the Sixers

That is the point of 3pt defense. When teams are covered better they take less 3s and look for something else. You don't take a 3 point shot when you have a defender draped over you, you pass the ball. Basketball plays are not deterministic like that, they have options where they take the best look they have.

3PT% varies a lot month to month and tends to regress when it flies out of whack. Most teams end up well within what you'd expect a margin of error to be, with a few exceptions.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

You kidding me? You got a 12 year old who hasn't shot a basketball in 3 years and is nicknamed after a pack of cigarettes. You got Julius Dreidel spinning like a top. You got Crazy Eyes Killa. You got a potential 15 winshare big man getting 20 minutes per night. You got Fort Knox, building his fortress with gold bricks. RJ Soprano. Uhh, you got, gently caress, I know there are other guys on the team, legally there has to be

Thibs will assault Kevin Knox lol. Awful work rate

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

That is the point of 3pt defense. When teams are covered better they take less 3s and look for something else. You don't take a 3 point shot when you have a defender draped over you, you pass the ball. Basketball plays are not deterministic like that, they have options where they take the best look they have.

I feel like that's ignoring a whole lot of context about what's happening out there but I see your point. If that's really "the point" of 3 point defense then you're saying these are the 5 worst three point defending teams and sorry I don't agree with you, there's much more to the story than just threes attempted

I think MourningView had a better overall perspective about it where all threes are not the same

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 2, 2020

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://www.nba.com/standings standings as of the morning of 2/2/20

The tanking race is tight, GSW is a lock for the most lottery balls with 13 wins, then you have 6 teams with 17 to 20 wins. I don't see an obvious case for fixing the lottery this year, no deep blue chip talent obvious, don't want to look like you're going out of your way to reward GS for tanking, don't want to rig it in consecutive years.

FWIW the 3 worst records all get identical odds, so they'll share the lottery ball lead with 2 others.

Edit: This lottery result would be very enjoyable, even if the current "likely top 4 picks" are all getting mixed reviews.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s definitely a big part of the Bucks’ system to give teams 3PA, and it works for them because their paint defense is incredible. They have Giannis and Brolo, and then a bunch of try hard weirdos (not pejorative) to jump passing lanes. They are pretty much the only team that can give up 3s and still beat the math to beat teams

The Bucks are 4th in 3PA and 30th in 3PA allowed, 13th in makes and 17th against.

22nd in 2pa but 1st in % made
15th in 2p allowed and 1st in % made against

That’s absurd
Plus they are top 5 in FTs against, 1st in DRB/TRB, 5th in AST, and 2nd in blocks

You can allow the most 3PA when you have the league leader in FG, 2PFG, PER, and DRB also ranking 2nd in FTA and 3rd in PPG in fewer than 31 mins a game, that’s loving insane. He’s ridiculously healthy too. As far as I know the whole team has been super healthy (Middleton and Korver are out right now but nothing serious).

The craziest thing? Ex-King George Hill is 1st in 3P% with 49%.

Sixers in 6 though.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

But the Sixers are also horribly coached

:frogout:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As the casual fan that only watched that christmas game and literally did not watch any more games or even look at any basketball media, the 76ers easily beat the Bucks

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kalensc posted:

FWIW the 3 worst records all get identical odds, so they'll share the lottery ball lead with 2 others.

Edit: This lottery result would be very enjoyable, even if the current "likely top 4 picks" are all getting mixed reviews.

SMH, Phoenix can't even crack the top 8 in the tankathon.

Also, I agree that the Bucks look like the most likely team to win on account of having the most wins and the best player.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'll be happy as long as Charlotte doesn't drop out of the top eight, the draft sucks but is at least pretty deep in the type of player they need

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just know that New York is going to Draft Lamelo Ball regardless of where there pick is and that's really funny to me

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Milwaukee's pretty middle of the pack in terms of opp 3P% and % of opponent 3PAs from the corner so even if you discount the raw attempts thing they aren't really an amazing three point defense

As was said, what they're amazing at is the paint. Per b-r, they only allow 22% of opponents shots to be taken within three feet, which is first by a mile, league average is .283, and they allow only .595 shooting within three feet, which is also first by a mile, league average is .664

So that in mind I think the best chance to beat Milwaukee in a series is a team that's good at chucking getting hot, since they seem willing to let teams chuck, which maybe implies Toronto or Miami. We will not be revisiting this claim when MIL beats MIA by 20 tonight but we will if Miami wins to go 2-0 on the season against Milwaukee.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if a team gets hot against milwaukee they could beat them but there aren’t a lot of teams in the east that can really space the floor like that without letting giannis just wreck shop in the paint

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

I think the real key is how few corner 3s you let opponents take. Above the break and straightaway 3s are significantly harder to make and often don't come in the flow of the offense.

e: whoops, this was already discussed as i was catching up

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 2, 2020

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

if a team gets hot against milwaukee they could beat them but there aren’t a lot of teams in the east that can really space the floor like that without letting giannis just wreck shop in the paint

Yeah my opinion is unless Giannis dies or something they cruise through through the East.

Part of the problem with the "hot chucker" idea is Milwaukee takes as many threes as anyone so if you aren't going supernova you're probably just at parity in that department and now Giannis is scoring thirty on dunks from the free throw line while you still get nothing in the paint. But I think it's slightly closer to realistic than a seven-game Giannis-stopper or whatever

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/DruProductions/status/1234542520341815296?s=20

https://twitter.com/DruProductions/status/1234550160316928009?s=20

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dutchy posted:

Yeah my opinion is unless Giannis dies or something they cruise through through the East.

Part of the problem with the "hot chucker" idea is Milwaukee takes as many threes as anyone so if you aren't going supernova you're probably just at parity in that department and now Giannis is scoring thirty on dunks from the free throw line while you still get nothing in the paint. But I think it's slightly closer to realistic than a seven-game Giannis-stopper or whatever

Obviously I'm a big stupid homer but assuming they're healthy for the playoffs the Celtics have 4 guys that can get you 20+ any given night and Tatum is trending towards more than that so I think they could fit the chucker upset role but in all reality it's not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I feel like that's ignoring a whole lot of context about what's happening out there but I see your point. If that's really "the point" of 3 point defense then you're saying these are the 5 worst three point defending teams and sorry I don't agree with you, there's much more to the story than just threes attempted

I think MourningView had a better overall perspective about it where all threes are not the same

I think you're just confusing what it means to be a good NBA defense. A lot of good defenses today are likely that good BECAUSE they are putting more focus into paint D and lowering FTA, which produces better dividends than defending the 3 point shot. Bucks are the best defense in the league, but I also don't think they are fantastic at defending the 3 point shot in particular. That's not an Achilles heel or anything, it's getting really hard to seperate 3 point shooting with offense as a whole and 3 point shooting is not the Alpha and Omega of offensive play. There are also other factors, like blowouts and the fact that the Bucks high rate of 3s certainly encourages other teams to play like that too, so 3PA isn't the only factor. But I am comfortable saying their 3P defense isn't particularly great.

The sixers are really good at 3 point defense, even if their defense isn't quite tip-top tier (though it is still very good). In particular that will be a good matchup against the Bucks even if it isn't as much of an advantage across the whole league. Though in general being able to defend Giannis I think is more significant.