Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I hit 20 finally after 90 hours of play.. I'm pretty awful at this game with a 21% survival and 1.74 K/D.

I'm using a lot of Saiga 12ga with 8.5 buckshot right now for some fun... It's obviously awful against anyone with a face mask and range.

I've been also using AKMSN AKMS weapons a lot but trying to figure out a decent build that doesn't break banks..

I died yesterday to my gun swinging wildly left and right while trying to Aim Down Sights while straffing, is there a way to lower this sway? Is it ergo?

Try the kedr, its really good and incredibly cheap if you're having trouble with money. Silenced kedr and kedr with pk-6 can make you feel like a real player, as long as you shoot their face/legs.

I don't think you're supposed to move while ADSing. You're supposed to be aiming and shooting. If you are moving away from them as they ADS you should try and 'point fire' as you strafe. Simply put them in the centre of the screen and squeeze that trigger. You will adjust your aim faster and also be putting out more bullets to get a hit.

Ergo will only reduce the stamina drain and prevent the exhaustion swinging from holding ADS for longer periods of time. The swaying is just from actually moving and you can't aim and move basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I hit 20 finally after 90 hours of play.. I'm pretty awful at this game with a 21% survival and 1.74 K/D.

I'm using a lot of Saiga 12ga with 8.5 buckshot right now for some fun... It's obviously awful against anyone with a face mask and range.

I've been also using AKMSN AKMS weapons a lot but trying to figure out a decent build that doesn't break banks..

I died yesterday to my gun swinging wildly left and right while trying to Aim Down Sights while straffing, is there a way to lower this sway? Is it ergo?

If you can get most vendors to II, it's possible to build a decent vendor only AK74 loaded with BT ammo for pretty cheap. the akms has some gnarly recoil with the 7.62 and I've found you need some decent grips to do a spraydown.

also, if you are strafing, you should probably be point-firing, not ADS

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Honestly you can build a silenced .366 TKM gun for not a lot with AP rounds that 1 tap and pen level 4 but probably wouldn't 1 tap through level 4. It's the new Hunter with m80 lmao.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Not sure if you guys also have friends that want to chain run reserve but I made this after a particularly dogshit few runs

https://twitter.com/ahspaghett/status/1293810417219719168?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Do a lot of people camp the Old Gas Station? I've spawn died there twice now.

Cage Kicker posted:

Forgot the factory key?

And electricity. I thought it worked like the other 2 and was excited to have an exit near my spawn.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Old gas is way more popular now that it actually leads somewhere so probably.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Bitcoin back up to 156k with therapist. Lets go free market!

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

There used to be many more options for lower level / poorer players that could easily put them on even footing with more geared players, like the mosin and the hunter. However, various price increases, and the increase of thorax hp, have made these weapons less good.

Using a 7.62 AK is a good and cheap choice, and something I did this wipe in the earlier levels. 7.62 PS ammo is super cheap and a very good budget option. As mentioned the recoil for these AKs are high, so you just have to be disciplined and tap-fire at medium-to-long ranges. I still like the AK over an SKS because you have the option to full auto at close ranges, say in dorms or resort.

Other than that, I would recommend that if you happen to kill other PMCs (or just find their bodies) and they have nice weapons, take them and use them, don't sell them. Resale value for PMC guns is pretty low this wipe since they aren't find in raid. Of course, if you're following the quests, you'll probably be railroaded into using certain types of guns too.

A really good budget option is to trade MCables and malboros to Mechanic for an AK Zenitco, and just throw a sight and foregrip on it. You can't do this until Mechanic LL3 which happens at level 30, but once you get there it's a great standard budget gun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best low gear option continues to be the pp-19 and shooting legs and faces

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Do a lot of people camp the Old Gas Station? I've spawn died there twice now.

For sure. It's also a player scav spawn and I frequently find them hiding behind the gas station waiting for someone to kill all the AI scavs so they can catch them looting/extracting

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The AKM, AKMS, AKMSN and Vepr KM/VPO-136 are all good starter guns even with basic 7.62. I'm somewhat preferential to the Vepr AKM / VPO-209 366TKM carbine with .366 AP and it's probably overpowered but don't let that stop you. The SKS is fine along but it typically costs the same or even more than better weapons.

Outside of that, the minimum you want after that is Level 4 Body Armor with a Level 3 Helmet. Going further having the Peltor ComTac 2 headset along with grenades is going to put you in a good place with out completely breaking your budget.

If you use anything else, the most important thing is good ammo and even cheapest body armor.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 15, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Gabriel S. posted:

The SKS is fine along but it typically costs the same or even more than better weapons.

I've always argued that if you're going to buy an SKS, you should either grab the Hunter or the VEPR AK instead. Hunter because it's like SKS with box magazines and M80 is a terrific round, or VEPR because it's a semi-auto 7.62 just like the SKS but the sights are better and 30 round box mags are dirt cheap and you can use AK attachments

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I missed the hunter. It's not either but the SCAV ammo along with sight limitations it comes with hold it back.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm a glutton for punishment so you'll never take away my sks

also, detachable 20 round mags. they're just a little pricier but imo the PS ammo redeems it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cage Kicker posted:

I've always argued that if you're going to buy an SKS, you should either grab the Hunter or the VEPR AK instead. Hunter because it's like SKS with box magazines and M80 is a terrific round, or VEPR because it's a semi-auto 7.62 just like the SKS but the sights are better and 30 round box mags are dirt cheap and you can use AK attachments

This.
I used to be a big fan of the SKS, but I tried using it a lot this wipe but the VEPR AK is just better in every way. 30 round mags, and the ability to easily mount a ton of useful attachments.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

If you have a sick-nasty gaming mouse, you can setup a macro button for fire with a 20ms delay for each shot and turn any semi-auto into an automatic, fyi.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pp19:
extremely cheap, with very cheap ammo.
no one in history has ever picked one up.
destroys scavs for fun tasking.
faces and legs hate being shot regardless of gun.
with no attachments its a laser beam already.

thank you for listening.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Seriously, try it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The PP-19 is much more fun than I expected and even works? The only draw back is it eats ammo, no penetration, low accuracy but it's such a bullet hose a close range it'll nearly eat through any armor.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you def need to bring extra ammo but its 9x19 so even taking a couple of stacks of rounds costs nothing and it doesnt matter if you lose it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just started playing this game today and it's fun but my old fat heart might not be able to take it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

If you’re doing 9mm leg meta poo poo at low levels I think Quake Maker is only PK2 and quite cheap, while being higher flesh damage than Luger CCI (the former budget alternative to RIP)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I just started playing this game today and it's fun but my old fat heart might not be able to take it

I feel this deeply. I was extracting from Customs when suddenly an entire squad started firing grenade launchers in unison nearby. Nearly shat myself. Those things are loving loud.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you start to feel palpitations, please take a break. Your thread in PMF is the best thread on the forums and makes me laugh literally every time, I couldn't take existence without it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Somebody in the steam thread linked me this when I asked if any game like tarkov but no pvp existed. https://www.offline-tarkov.com/index.html

I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly it works and you can have some of that stress go away.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I would just play Stalker games if I wanted single player- there’s a big modding community so you can make it how you like it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tarkov is significantly more playable than even modded stalker and i know because trying to play stalker again always ends up with me playing tarkov instead

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Somebody in the steam thread linked me this when I asked if any game like tarkov but no pvp existed. https://www.offline-tarkov.com/index.html

I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly it works and you can have some of that stress go away.

gently caress I'm hooked on Tarkov again. It's fun just playing it like a Borderlands or Stalker with no pvp stress.

It's pretty awesome. There are raider like scavs with armor, good weapons, dogtags and loot in the raids along with regular scavs so there's fighting going on while you're running around. I'm finding tons of keys, making tons of money and xp. I think I'm gonna try and go higher on the AI skill than As Online because it's a little too easy. I've done a bunch of raids and haven't died yet. Although it was stuttering a lot on Customs it might've been the amount of AI I chose or the AI "players" lag the game a bit because it always gets better when the shooting stops but it's smooth overall. I've only been on Customs and Factory so far.

So far everything is there, hideout, traders, quests. I'm a bit stoned but I think there maybe something whacky with the XP and leveling but you can edit everything and just go hog wild and mod certain/everything to make the game easier or any changes you'd prefer. I'd say if you're sick of the state of the game regarding the wipe and are waiting for a new wipe like me, play this.

Post here if anyone needs help installing. It was fairly painless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NJersey posted:

gently caress I'm hooked on Tarkov again. It's fun just playing it like a Borderlands or Stalker with no pvp stress.

It's pretty awesome. There are raider like scavs with armor, good weapons, dogtags and loot in the raids along with regular scavs so there's fighting going on while you're running around. I'm finding tons of keys, making tons of money and xp. I think I'm gonna try and go higher on the AI skill than As Online because it's a little too easy. I've done a bunch of raids and haven't died yet. Although it was stuttering a lot on Customs it might've been the amount of AI I chose or the AI "players" lag the game a bit because it always gets better when the shooting stops but it's smooth overall. I've only been on Customs and Factory so far.

So far everything is there, hideout, traders, quests. I'm a bit stoned but I think there maybe something whacky with the XP and leveling but you can edit everything and just go hog wild and mod certain/everything to make the game easier or any changes you'd prefer. I'd say if you're sick of the state of the game regarding the wipe and are waiting for a new wipe like me, play this.

Post here if anyone needs help installing. It was fairly painless.

Is it easy? I was reading about how to build the fake server and having never modded a game was a little worried I would break something.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Is it easy? I was reading about how to build the fake server and having never modded a game was a little worried I would break something.

https://www.guilded.gg/senkospub/groups/B36wYEeD/channels/16291b64-bd22-4e1a-8af5-11f5e69fd9d8/docs

I just did the Requirements, Startup and Creation tutorials. Super easy although I had a loading error that was easily fixed by making sure my file directory matched the example in Requirements tutorial.

I haven't modded anything yet so I'm not sure how hard it is but I think all it you need to do is edit a json file.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like I've done okay for my first day, I've just been doing Scav poo poo. I've been killed most of my runs but I made it out a few times with some piddly poo poo. My biggest problems so far are that I keep blasting scavs thinking they're players and then they all seem to go hostile, and that I absolutely do not know where I am when I spawn in so I spend more time trying to figure out where I am on the wiki map than I do playing the game.

I know that last one will become less of a problem with experience but I am also a bit miffed that this game appears to take place in a parallel universe where the compass was never developed.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I feel like I've done okay for my first day, I've just been doing Scav poo poo. I've been killed most of my runs but I made it out a few times with some piddly poo poo. My biggest problems so far are that I keep blasting scavs thinking they're players and then they all seem to go hostile, and that I absolutely do not know where I am when I spawn in so I spend more time trying to figure out where I am on the wiki map than I do playing the game.

I know that last one will become less of a problem with experience but I am also a bit miffed that this game appears to take place in a parallel universe where the compass was never developed.

Compass confirmed Coming Soon™

As far as learning the maps, you could always play offline without AI just to run around and learn where everything is etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NJersey posted:

https://www.guilded.gg/senkospub/groups/B36wYEeD/channels/16291b64-bd22-4e1a-8af5-11f5e69fd9d8/docs

I just did the Requirements, Startup and Creation tutorials. Super easy although I had a loading error that was easily fixed by making sure my file directory matched the example in Requirements tutorial.

I haven't modded anything yet so I'm not sure how hard it is but I think all it you need to do is edit a json file.

Yeah it wasn't hard at all. This will be great.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Anyone see a pretty drastic increase to load times and stuttering with the latest patch? Game went to nearly unplayable for me.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Im getting a lot of hanging at the end of matches, occasionally spinning blue wheel of death and then crashing to desktop.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I had a Woods run last night where the whole screen jittered with every movement and thankfully I was sniped two minutes in before I had a seizure.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Stux posted:

PP-19 Chat.

I've been playing with the PP-19 more but what's everyone using for attachments and I swear I saw a handguard similar to the Wooden CAF WASR 10-63 handguard but was better and built in? Am I crazy?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I’ve had a huge performance decrease after the Customs update patch. My game froze and borked my install yesterday, had to reinstall the game. Today I’ve had zero issues.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Gabriel S. posted:

I've been playing with the PP-19 more but what's everyone using for attachments and I swear I saw a handguard similar to the Wooden CAF WASR 10-63 handguard but was better and built in? Am I crazy?

You can put the wasr on the pp19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
picked up Titanfall 2 and have been playing that along w tarkov and the performance differences are night and day

that game can load bigger maps with higher LOD than tarkov in like 5 seconds lol