Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

escape from tarkov is a game where you suffer greatly in your mission to make number go up. will number go up?? will it go down??? you decide. someone else make an effort post i can put here thanks.

hakimashou posted:

If you want to play tarkov with goons there's a big discord full of those people at:

https://discord.gg/fxvqwE6

da official wiki

https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Escape_from_Tarkov_Wiki

ammo chart:

https://kokarn.github.io/tarkov-tools/

goon discord:

https://discord.gg/G4GHD35

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im new and ammo is confusing:

rifle ammo cheat sheet. normal ammos are effective against average armor, most helmets and face shields, and importantly are not overly expensive. sweaty option is effective against gear lords but will cost you more than your weapon.

9x39mm (VAL, VSS):

normal: sp-6, sp-5. sp-6 is preferable but a large price premium over sp-5 while still being cheaper than the other two. a vss with sp-5 can do well while not being as expensive a loadout as some of the more high end rifles.
sweaty: spp, bp

.366 TKM (Vepr AKM/VPO-209, VPO-215):

DONT USE THESE GUNS THEYRE COMPLETE GARBAGE ALL THE AMMO IS GARBAGE IF YOU START WITH ONE AS A SCAV REPLACE IT WITH LITERALLY ANYTHING.

5.45x39mm (AK-105, all AK/AKS-74 variants, RPK):

normal: BT but be aware of its tracer, BP can be used at a push but it is both worse and more expensive than BT
sweaty: BS, igolnik

5.56x45mm NATO (ADAR, M4, MDR (beige), HK, TX-15, AK-101/102):

normal: M855A1, M856A1 is a good budget round but be aware of its tracer again
sweaty: M995

a lot of the "meta" guns use these ammo types which can make them overly expensive early on compared to the more common AK systems

7.62x39mm (AK-103/104, all AKM variants, Vepr KM/VPO-136, SKS):

theres no normal and sweaty, its just BP. PS is the next best and serviceable early on, be aware it has issues with armor but if you dont get on with bolt action guns an SKS with PS can still get the job done if youre making use of it being semi auto.

7.62x51mm NATO (Vepr Hunter/VPO-101, MDR (black), SA-58, M1A, RSASS, SR-25, DVL-10, M700, T-5000):

normal: m80, tpz sp is tempting in a cheap vepr hunter build but if youre running one you might as well load up m80 cos youre only taking in 10 round mags anyway and the entire point of using it is to blast someone
sweaty: m61 for the best pen, m62 has a tracer but is still going to let you one tap everyone in the face regardless for a lot cheaper

7.62x54mmR (Mosin, SVD, SV-98):

normal: literally anything but i personally avoid T-46M. if you spawn in as a scav with that ammo its fine, all bullets in this calibre will punch through average armor, but T-46M has a tracer and LPS GZH doesnt and is cheaper from prapor anyway so use that
sweaty: 7BT1 but it has a tracer, SNB. 7N37 has more penetration than is required for any armor in game and loses damage off its stats in exchange for it.

if youre using a shotgun either you can afford AP-20 slugs or flechette and you should use those or you cant and you should shoot people in the legs with buckshot.

if youre fitting out SMGs you should know what youre doing and how to read the ammo chart above.

if youre using a pistol dont load expensive ammo unless you know why youre taking that ammo and not just hoping to land a lucky face shot.

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 13, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they should move all woods quests to reserve so i dont have to load up woods

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I've stepped away from this mentality. My mentality as a scav now is to go directly towards a fight and see what happens. I've gone the route of looting as much as I can and then you die, giving the loot to someone else. Why not be that someone else? Yes, i've had runs where I loot a ton of stuff and get out. But far more often, I get killed in an ambush or by a far outgeared PMC. So now I go after the quickest chance of loot or a fight, then see what happens. If its enough loot to be satisfied, I leave (or try to). If it ain't poo poo, then I keep going. Eventually you just have so much money in this game that a run needs to be worth half a mil to make sense strategically. If my scav run can't pay for a run with my PMC, then why don't I just run with my PMC? Yea, scav runs can be fun, but you are so out-geared that it usually ends in a loss. This isn't necessarily the case early-wipe, but we are basically late wipe now and even the new players are getting better gear because everyone has it. I've seen level 10's with spec'd out M4A1's because they can loot them off anyone else.

yeah i just throw scavs into dorms or resort or something and see if i can clear up a sweaty guy and get out

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Oh yeah, the OP doesnt have it anymore.

added

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilentW posted:

oh look it's the thing that made the last thread's OP close it, let's go for round 2

lol if u think that would make me close the thread go hog wild

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the op isnt a joke and i probably wont make any effort to update it myself for at least a month but ill add any resources people mention

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its like 2 years old ill add some stuff when i have some time. and i didnt rush, no one else posted one for hours so i did.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im going to put this in the op but i hate the chart and ill put an ammo cheat sheet for early game guns in in a bit as well so people dont have to look at it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i am lord of the gear, dont speak ill of me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ComradeBigT posted:

Honest question for Ambaire,

Is the market money making strategy you mostly use just buying and reselling to vendors for minor profit just at huge scale, or is it the more traditional “market pvp” of buying things out and re-listing / waiting for the market to spike?

I get that people like seeing the money number go up, but really don’t see the appeal of spending all my play time clicking thru menus.

i dunno its kinda fun sometimes to play with game economies and ill do some instead of actually playing sometimes when i cant/dont want to commit to full raids where i cant just leave. no where close to the ridiculous liquidity ambaire managed but i keep myself floating around 8 mil so i never have gear fear

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is the first wipe I've actually bothered questing and getting my Trader levels up and it really is huge even if you never play the market just because you can buy so much poo poo "at cost." And I'm only at LL3 with Prapor/Therapist at the highest!

Learning the "free" barters to get their money reqs dealt with was also very helpful. Tetriz > Bitcoin for Mech/Therapist, Cat Figurine (for 35k or under) > AKS-74UB for Prapor/Skier/Mech (remove the silencers and sell them to Skier, then sell the rest of the gun to Mech) (this one needs Prapor LL2.)

EDIT: There are also good flea market plays for Skier that will at least break even, but I'll keep that just to the Discord where I learned it.

dont forget buying antique axes off the market and selling them to jaeger for his

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i want a big rear end switch in the hideout so i can chill out and play mario odyssey between raids

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think ive got every single mp153 with a silencer on back because it makes it 8x2 slots. i still have one in my stash cos everytime i take it out to try and lose it i get it back.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah bad pointless change, the level 5 barrier already seemed needless and shouldve just been removed rather than made much bigger

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was kinda necessary to avoid people effortlessly dodging bans for API abuse

just keep banning them and taking their money lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

really feel like pairing the flea market locked behind level 15 instead of 5 with traders having limited money and not paying well for items is only going to compound how awful the first 15 levels will be for people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Do you ever wonder why you almost never see items listed on the flea market for less than x price? It's because the vendors pay so much for them, with infinite money that never runs out. When I was camping diaries and flash drives, while noone was buying them to vendor, diaries could drop down to 25k and flash drives 40k before someone came along and bought them all out up to 40/56k just to sell to peacekeeper for 45k and 63k equivalents. (~$406 and ~$567). Infinitely according to player supply. How/why is that good game design?

Also, this would partly kill the market bots because infinitely buying various barter items and selling them to therapist wouldn't be viable anymore.

I'm not questioning the rarity. I'm not questioning how much it costs to obtain them. I'm questioning the absurd price the traders pay for them and the fact traders will buy effectively infinite of them if the player supply exists.

Also, magazine cases seem like a dumb case to argue about. Why are they so expensive? Because Therapist pays 318,750 for them. Why are empty blue fuel cans so expensive? Because they're used in that craft and the price has settled around what players are willing to pay for the profit. If magazine cases vendored for 100k, empty blue fuel cans would probably only be worth 10k apiece or less.

they pay that much for them because the items are rare and it sets a price floor so that theyre worth checking for in places they can spawn. magazine cases are 320k because early on inventory space is limited and the first expansions you get are the lower cost cases and they want to create goals for people to aim for with t heir income. you go from buying the cheap cases to being able to afford a junkbox, getting a weapons case, doing your first stash upgrade and so on. this would be extremely obvious if you like... played the game. your perspective on the game economy is very literally disconnected and the reason things seem arbitrary to you is because youre just playing the market and have no sense of what the progression is meant to be. the traders have infinite money and buy items by design its not some random accident, its them setting the basis for the economy while allowing them to adjust things. in a game where the economy is entirely or much more player driven things would probably get completely out of hand as a wipe goes on and money means less, having developer controlled price floors is an attempt to stop that happening.

also im not saying that what theyve done is perfect or entirely working as intended here, im just explaining basic concepts about the game and game economies that have a player market because apparently thats what we have to do at this point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also your argument would make more sense if they werent about to raise the barrier to the player market to level 15 but with that happening what youre talking about is braindead lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dont get the pk06 bit still do i need to spend time watching bad tarkov streamers or something to understand

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i use the pk06 on everything cos i like the sight picture and it feels accurate at max fov and i havnt found another sight i like as much

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i was using the walther mrs but it feels off for some reason

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's correct. Nikita is trying to make his dream game, not the next Strand type game.

well to be fair i think thats what kojima was doing as well lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

When a AAA company that’s competent at game design and programming, and can afford a decent infrastructure, inevitably picks up this games style and detail, it may be full of MTX for lovely cosmetics but will probably be the better game.

extremely unlikely, clones are inevitably worse than whatever kicked off a genre/fad/whatever you want to call it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

Escape from Tarkov: Star Citizen for Gun Nuts

tarkov is actually a game and functions on some level after a number of years so its more like no mans sky

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Disagree. For most games that started things off you can usually find a game that took a core concept and ran with it to make an even better game. Blizzard built an empire out of iterating on existing genres and polishing the hell out of them.

right but this is 2020 and blizzard cant even remaster wc3 correctly and everyone who tried to copy pubg and fortnite made a pile of garbage no one cares about, every clone of minecraft is trash, every bandwagon dev is now a team turning out something as soon as possible to get mtx income on mobile rather than a studio spending 5 years on a polished experience.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Yeah Blizzard sucks now but when Hearthstone came out it was an amazing iteration on the genre.

For PUBG I liked the Black Ops blackout mode and Apex Legends much more. For Minecraft you can see how a ton of decent games came out of that formula. I'm not taking about quick cash in clones but games improving on the core gameplay. I could see a game company looking at Tarkov and coming up with something with a similar but more focused.

I'm liking Tarkov, but all the reactionary changes like cursing hatchlings or this flea market change do not give the impression he has a strong vision for the game. So far it looks like throwing things at the wall to see what sticks in between researching more guns and ammo types to put in.

blackout and apex suck real bad and died immediately because of it and nothing came anywhere close to being as good or as big as minecraft. people will probably take parts of the game and use them well elsewhere like some of the not-direct-clones of minecraft did like nms as it is now has, as itclearly has parts of it in a completely different game. but the direct clones almost always suck badly and only blizzard ever really did well doing that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Ah yes, the 'progression' that consists of half baked quests with some incredible RNG requirements. I've been reading a lot of reddit EFT posts lately (since people don't rely on personal attacks quite so frequently there as they do over here), and someone said they literally never saw a single white armor from 0 to 40 and wouldn't have completed that quest if not for the flea. Someone else did ~35 (16 survived) interchange raids before they managed to extract with a gas analyzer (on a scav, never saw any on their PMC). Now, I don't know that they were telling the truth, but if they were, then the quests have some serious flaws.

That's because this is the darkest timeline and we're living in the weird mirror universe. At least we still have Factorio.

wasnt making a qualitative judgement on if the progression is good or bad but pointing out you genuinely dont know it exists and how it informs the things youre talking about. its not just random or arbitrary. and i was talking outside of quests, we were talking about why trader pricing is there and why they dont have a limited money pool. why magboxes have a price floor intentionally put there by the developers etc.

like you asked "Do you ever wonder why you almost never see items listed on the flea market for less than x price?" which is such a wild question to ask, its because theyre deciding they want price floors on items and seeing how less controlled game economies spiral out of control its probably a good idea overall. this way all that happens is the people whove played all wipe get really rich but new players dont get priced out of being able to afford things because of insane price inflation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

right but the actual reason is to create price floors so a magbox, which is an early game container to deal with limited stash space, doesnt get inflated in price and make it harder for new players to get when its one of the first cases youll be going for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Apex is cool and good and consistently in the top 10 on Twitch and I have never had a problem finding a match. Your definition of dead game is as bad as your taste. Anyway, what I was saying is someone could make an excellent not-direct-clone of Tarkov like your NMS to Minecraft example.

Why the Reddit hate? It's not like folks on this forum who joined after [checks reg date] July 2004 are any smarter. Reddit is just a bigger sample size of Internet people.

you wouldnt play nms instead of minecraft because one is minecraft and the other is a space sim that has some resource gathering but also has trader missions and dog fighting and a story.

with apex its extremely telling EA went from yelling about how it gained players faster than fortnite to not talking about playercounts anymore and given that the game is owned by EA they wouldve been wanting extreme profitability out of the title. remember that people like ea and activision have a completely nonsensical concept of how well a game should do and will drop games that are popular. activision let bungie take destiny with them because it wasnt profitable enough and apex was def a title that ea wanted to be competing with fortnite and pubg. but its ok im sure, they love doing continued support for games and also dont chronically shut down studios.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

I can't speak to EA's expectations but Apex just had a big patch come out and there are things added at a consistent pace so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If EA was done with the game I'm sure step one would be stop making new content for it. Someone should tell Respawn they about to be shut down!

you poor innocent child... stay pure...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

EA and Steam just partnered up and more EA Games are coming to Steam again. Between that and this whole shift to "games as a service" or "live games" or whatever buzzword you want mean that these companies are seeing a new opportunity out there and are slower to outright dump a game. Look at how much post launch support Star Wars Battlefront 2 got. After a poo poo start and predatory mtx, people are saying it's in a pretty good place now. You can still hate on these companies while recognizing the change. Moral of the story is Apex is doing fine and is still fun. You should try it again! I'm still waiting for Titanfall 3 though.

On Tarkov: What's the quickest way to level STR? I'm in my 20s and was still at level 1 until I started carrying around a docs case full of technical manuals. I want to level it up before the new patch hits.

uhh the mtx is still bad and the only reason its being changed is because eu nations are starting to clamp down on them. theyre going back to steam because everyone uses steam and they didnt make up enough surplus from their own platform to outweigh losing steam sales. games as a service suck. apex was unfun at launch to me and the only br that i enjoy is pubg and ive tried them all. titanfall sucks. ea shuts down studios endlessly after running them into the ground and respawn is currently working on a vr game so lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

stux don't do this to me. don't turn out to be brokebrained after all this time

pubg like tarkov is great because its some good mechanics with a nice layer of jank and you can ram a jeep with a motorcycle and 50% of the time the jeep flies across the map and you can ride a motorcycle around with your friends and do backflips and also all the maps other than the first one suck especially the newer ones where theyre really trying to be a serious competitive game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

also their netcode and latency rules work pretty much the exact same way so

literally as far opposite as possible because pubg leans so heavily on server verification you can have hits confirm on your screen that disappear into the ether

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ambaire posted:

"you used to be able to" implying a vague second/third party

They never said specifically that they cheated. News flash: a person linking a lag switch video does not mean that person in particular used that lag switch.

hes linked multiple videos of himself playing with a lagswitch lol god youre a rube

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Even if this guy is lag switching, you can’t help but blame BSG for not fixing their netcode. I mean the game literally verifies every item movement to the item verification server so items don’t get duped, but it seems like they don’t want spend the time improving the netcode or maybe don’t want to pay for the servers/bandwidth.

Honestly given the choice I’d rather have server verified combat over constant item verification. But hey that’s just me.

As far as these upcoming changes go they should just get rid of all of these garbage quests and then remove the flea market. The flea market is more or less a product of bad fetch quests.

And yes, PUBG did allow lag switching for the first couple months of beta. That’s how people were killing everyone at the beginning of the match. You could lag switch before the plane left the starting island and use the demo guns or punch everyone else once the timer ended. On their end, they’d be on the plane or parachuting out and die once the lag switcher reconnected. Funny, annoying but also fixed relatively quickly.

no i can def blame the guy making the choice to cheat.

quests and flea market should stay but the quests need improving. flea market should be open from level 1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

just lol if you havnt been following the game since the only map was factory and jumped in because of its end goal being a hardcore nightmare

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

ye not playing this game till the weight system stops punishing the people that actually play the game

another buff to hatchetmen, as if it was required lmao

so nikita fixed the game looks like

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HORSEPORN posted:

I won’t gently caress with a quake player though those dudes are a different breed.

[resheathes katana] so you have chosen life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow im shocked