Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of being terrible at the game, any good suggestions for getting better at combat and getting over jumpy combat nerves? Specifically I'm thinking about finding a reasonable budget Factory loadout (which may not be super realistic at this point in the wipe?) and just running Factory a whole bunch and shooting mans vs. crawling around Shoreline for 25 minutes and getting owned by a bush. Suggestions? Builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jarf posted:

New strategy (to me) for levelling strength
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9O1B4M4pUA
Fill up on throwables
Throw them all
Die
Repeat

16 grenades gets you about 2.3 points towards strength.

Specifically, bring Zaryas and one RGD, i forget the most efficient number but it’s like 14-16 total. Throw all the Zaryas and drop the RGD at your feet, rinse & repeat. It’s the fastest way to get to str 3 but it’ll cost something like 1.7m. If you do it on Shoreline you can run to the nearest stash and shove it up your secure before you drop the RGD for at least a little money back.

Also nice for new players, bring a car kit or cheese kits in and get healing exp at the start of each raid.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Pro tip for the new players with tiny stashes - lots of rigs have more internal spaces than spaces they occupy in your stash - for example the AVS armored rig takes up 12 spaces in your stash, but has like 25 internal spaces, including two 4x4 squares. It’s one of the best rigs early on for making your stash space really count.

Also one of the most important skills you need to learn is efficient looting - ctrl + l/r click and alt + l click are your friends. Less time with your head up a dead guy’s rear end is more time to scan and react to threats. It drives me nuts when I watch a video and some dude is laying on a body out in the open click-dragging poo poo back and forth. I think I remember Veritas having a good looting tutorial video - I won’t speak to his gameplay or general attitude, but his technical/mechanics videos are all very informative.

Lastly it’s definitely been blown up a few times, but Shoreline stash runs are still great. Use a few offline/scav runs to get familiar with the Shoreline stashes & swamp/village. Once you have some familiarity it’s a mellow way to get good PMC experience - you get experience looting stuff, there are some easy scav kills to make along the way, and you can bring along some smoke grenades from Prapor and start working on Strength 3. There’s a huge potential for making really good money, too - hitting 6+ stashes, multiple jackets, bags, tool boxes, and weapons crates means you’ll find lots of stuff that you can sell straight to traders for $$$, plus lots of chances to find items you’ll need for found-in-raid quests.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Famethrowa posted:

Mosin, grach, paca, peen helm was my go-to newbie loadout.

Replaced by sks, armored rig and ratnik when I got money

OP-SKS with the FD stock for a military filter from Mechanic will cost you less than Mosin + Grach; Tapco SKS for a GP Coin same. Can’t remember trade levels tho.

Edit: another super pro trade during early levels is 3 soap and 4 toilet paper for a L4 Uley from Ragman. You’ll need flea market access for a regular supply but it ends up being a l4 rig for like 45k. They repair like poo poo but they’re good enough for 2-3 repairs (at least while you’re new) and you’ll get them back pretty often, especially at this point in the wipe.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 14, 2020

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Famethrowa posted:

Newbs don't have flea market early game.

Oh duh, yeah. Still helpful once they hit level 10 though.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Finally finished my epsilon and now I can finally dig into the stockpile of M1A SASSes that I’ve built from Mechanic’s severe nicotine addiction. I’m still pretty new and low 50’s recoil with M80 feels amazing, especially after the SVDS.

Going back to budget builds and pre-flea guns, though, what are good “new wipe” guns to be familiar with? Rec battery ADAR as mentioned seems super solid... GP coin SKS? 7.62 VEPR with a few attachments? USB-A M1A? Or just Mosin Boyz it?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

But I like Eve online's market system :(

Yeah EVE had a fantastic market system compared to Tarkov's janky poo poo

I'm entirely confused how ammo flipping is even a problem compared to a billion other things btw. The "problem" comes directly from the global market/global supply setup and slapping off-brand band-aids on it won't fix the structural issues.

Also if you want to force players to use a wider variety of weapons then re-design/rebalance weapons & ammo. There are like fifteen different 9x18mm rounds and the difference between 14 of them is pointless. Same goes with attachments like foregrips - there are 4? 5? variations of RK-x foregrips and like exactly one or two are actually desirable. I'm not a game designer but it feels far more engaging and permissive to have a smaller number of weapons that are all very viable to use in different cases vs a ton of weapons that are either basically repeats or useless. The sweaty min-maxers are always going to spend a million hours organizing raid trades and getting all the best poo poo anyways, so maybe just make basic poo poo a little more usable throughout the duration of a wipe instead of trying to hold back the gear tide.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ChesterJT posted:

All I'm hearing is that Nikita is the master of redirection.

"What's that? You want me to fix all these bugs that I've had years to fix, and fix the audio, and stop the stuttering and server issues, and prevent hackers from ruining the game? Well what we will do is OH HEY LOOK AT THIS PPSH!"

um there's going to be an amazing new mp5 helloooo? its the mpx-5d1n used by the special russian polar submarine forces and the gun nut streamer is already ordering all the parts to build it irl :aaa:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
holy poo poo thermal sights

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jarf posted:

I'm pretty excited for the audio changes in the next patch. So many times I've been sat in a bush listening to somebody get closer to me with no effing idea which direction they are coming from.

Could be a real game changer.

Or hearing someone crunch around next to you on interchange except are they really next to you? Or in the garage/on the second floor?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
hell yes

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone hit flea market yet? I’m a few levels away and saving all my t-plugs, ushankas, and high level ammo/barter items for it

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

rap music posted:

i like to run around and loot stuff from boxes or scavs or players and hopefully survive is that ok?

This is NOT how to play Tarkov

Now listen to my reddit song about nikita’s Beautiful Tarkov Vision

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Pro fuel spot is the van warehouse on customs - it can spawn on the shelves next to van, on the floor, and in the red conex by the front door. That spot is awesome for uncommon/rare barter stuff in general.

Shoreline village also has some decent fuel spots, like behind the tractor on the corner closest to bus depot/resort.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
so uh. The new FIR flea is totally skipped if you slap a bunch of attachments on your gun and put it up for sale. Big opportunity for 60 rounders right now.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

TTerrible posted:

You took a rear sight off a mosin and then advised other players not to use it because you couldn't hit anything with it.

I can’t hit poo poo with a mosin, period. I can have all the sights and scopes and reflexes and my shots just seem to fly off into the great beyond. What the heck am I doing wrong?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Some advice from one garbage player to other garbage players: Jaeger's Cold Blooded is a loving miserable garbage poo poo quest but it also opens up a bunch of other quests, including one that gives you 0.3 Jaeger rep (holy poo poo!!). Here's how I got it done:

1: stack a bunch of PMC kill/Factory quests like:
Skier - Stirrup (3 pistol kills)
Skier - Friend from the West pt 1 (7 USEC kills)
Jaeger - Huntsmen path: secured perimeter (8 kills in Factory office)
Jaeger - Cold blooded (of course)
Maybe something like Prapor - Punisher 5 if you're there (PMC kills w/ scav vest & 6b47 helmet)
Mechanic - Scout (three Factory exits)

2: get a cheap gun for headshots. I ended up just sticking with a P226 - a pistol and two mags of Pst was like $15k max. I tried a Kedr/Klin and they own for Factory but not so much for getting headshots if you can't aim well like me. I found pistols easier to aim for heads with and you only lose $15k a run. Pst is decent and cheap, and 18 round mags mean you can spam some without running out of bullets like with a 1911 or TT.

Note: this is for lovely players like me who can't aim and die a lot. Doing it this way means you can prep like 10 setups (pistol, 2 mags) and just zip through them.

3: get set up for tremor. I found the easiest and cheapest way was by maintaining dehydration. You can let it run out in another raid and go from there, or eat a full jar of mayo or a bunch of Slickers bars. I found the Slickers bars were a great cheap way to maintain 0 hydration if I had to go screw around in my hideout or take care of other chores. I tried all combos of vaseline, ibuprofen, painkillers, propital, etc. I think the most effective way was either painkillers or ibuprofen - I'd keep one stack in my alpha plus an IFAK and/or a propital/Factory key.

As long as your hydration is low (<5 for Ibuprofen, <7 for painkillers) you take one or the other immediately upon getting into raid and hide for 30 seconds or so for the tremor to kick in. WAITING IS CRITICAL! I got two extra headshots that didn't count cause it was too soon. Propital can be nice because it heals you while you lose health from dehydration, but honestly I usually died before it would have mattered, and a heal or two from my IFAK kept me going just fine.

4: get dem headshots. I did most of it this PST morning when it was busy, not sure what best times might be for everyone else.

5: gently caress you Jaeger

edit: two other things to pay attention to: healing after raid doesnt re-hydrate you thank goodness, and sometimes I'd randomly get like +20 hydration when I got in raid. It can be useful to stick a slickers in your secure just in case, and worst case scenario you can take 2-3 painkillers back to back to knock your hydration back down.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 7, 2020

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

dogsupremacy posted:

whats a good cheap gun set up ive been putting a foregrip on an sks/using a stock mosin/mp 153 with the monsterclaw when I can find one is there anything im missing out on

Right now honestly a 7.62 VEPR does work, and you’ll get it back every time. The thread has always said that Tarkov is more about the ammo than the gun and going through a new wipe for the first time has really shown the truth of it to me. I feel like you might still have a couple weeks while PS is still fine.

Honestly even a 366 VEPR isn’t terrible either; it looks like the ammo has been upgraded to be actually usable. VEPR Hunters are always nice for M80, too, but you’ll probably have to figure out a solution for mags - if anything you can have a goon with Jaeger 3 bring you half a backpack of 10-rounders in raid.

Speaking of new wipe, it’s been a really interesting experience. I started playing Tarkov this past April, during a pretty matured wipe, and some of the PMC kill/Jaeger quests seemed almost impossible. How do you get tremor headshots and Mosin kills as a new player in Factory when everyone is running around in level 6 armor with face shields? New wipe, though, I’m already looking forward to getting my PACA and SVD Punisher quest kills on Factory, and I’m trying to get to the <25m Mosin kill quest early while 7N1 can one-shot pretty much everyone. If anything I think it speaks to overall game balance re: itemization - is the game actually better with high-end ammo and level 6 armor?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
PS: to the guy who gave the Mosin advice about cupping your target in the rear sight, loving thank you! Cleared my >40m Mosin iron sights quest in one magical Shoreline run thanks to you. 10 scav kills with a few headshots, even.

Is there any good info out there for other iron sights? I feel like 90% of the issue is that I’m not clear on what part of the sight I should be using for aim, primarily at distance. Like in regards to AKs, is it the tip of the center front post, or where the post hits the rear sight line, that kind of thing.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Not necessarily viable for a new account who doesn’t have flea, but cat statue for a silenced 74u full of BP is a pretty good deal from Prapor.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

Important caveat for noobs though is that the .366 AKM/Vepr is complete garbage.

.366 EKO is 30 pen 68 dmg, it’s absolutely usable early wipe if you get a scav loadout with the right ammo. FMJ is only 23 pen but 93 dmg so amazing early, early wipe. Plus no one’s gonna take your poo poo. If 7.62 PS still cuts the mustard (probably not so much after a week of drops) then EKO is just as good.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gabriel S. posted:

What's the best map for looting and being able to escape without getting killed? I like Reserves but getting out is hard.

Shoreline stash runs are super safe as long as you pay attention and even safer when you have a decent understanding of map flow.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Silenced srimp and 3 useless corrugated hoses. TBH I hope the vast majority of the drops for everyone is stuff like that instead of slicks and airframes and REAP-IRs. I’m a little confused about extending the early game with FIR flea vs. two weeks of drops 10 days into a fresh wipe, but I guess BSG gonna BSG.

Guess I better go get my <25m mosin kills fast while LPS still works.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Man it’s some real FIR flea Stockholm syndrome poo poo when I’m happy to get a graphics card for two buttcoins in barter

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah I also got a keytool in a drop but already have a docs case. Since the docs case can hold more variety of stuff (keys, Intel, money) is there even a real purpose for the keytool for me other than stash space or should I barter it in flea/ sell to therapist?

If you’re keeping keys to useful/valuable spots as you find them you will definitely end up with more than a docs case worth. Unless you desperately need the value now, it’s worth holding on to if only for the stash space it’ll save.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Mechanically, item detection/item proximity is hot janky garbage in Tarkov. I’m standing on top of the goddamn stash, why is it so hard to find the exact pixel I need to click on to open it?? Doors, quest items, all of it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Not just fuel but lots of decent barter stuff, commonly hoses, helixes, water filters, air filters, etc.

“teleporting “ dude just looks like a late spawn, iirc there’s a pmc spawn right there on Shoreline, is there not?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
What map and how are you playing it? Seems like it could be an issue of bad luck & running counter to map flows if you’re constantly getting blindsided

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
when do i get the wizzard bullets

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Free IRs for everyone is the exact kind of stupid poo poo to make raids a mess for a while. Drops were pretty well paced with hideout mats and cases that are nice QOL boosts without affecting actual gameplay but I guess bsg just can’t loving help themselves.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Also there’s at least a small chance that 43m rubles is some kind of money trade

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

hakimashou posted:

yeah one of the many lovely vandalisms they did this execrable wipe was to make it so quest rewards expire after 48 hrs

I noticed that, but it looks like the Twitch drops expire without any warning. Rip tactec

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It feels like there are still enough players using lovely ammo that a 6b3 armored rig is worth it. Not sure how quickly that will be coming to an end, though.

This is my first fresh wipe; do they normally go this fast? I’ve been playing a lot but not crazy furloughed/wfh amounts and I’m a pretty mediocre FPS player, but I’m pretty much done with Hideout/traders and have enough of a bankroll that tedious quests aren’t a horrible, money-burning grind.

It’s actually kinda interesting - grinding a lot of these quests when I started mid-wipe last wipe was pretty miserable. You run into dorms to pick up Prapor’s sippy cup and man purse and get obliterated by Gearlord #15 for the sixth time in a row, and scrabble and scrape just to get by on scav runs. Starting with a fresh wipe and mostly level playing field it’s actually fun - like, “Oh, shoot a bunch of stuff with shotguns? Cool, I can get a bunch of cheap AP-20 from Jaeger and just grab a 153 off flea” and when I die miserably I can just heal up and do it again.

Not meant as a humblebrag, but it’s been a huge difference to have a decent amount of game knowledge and a fresh start.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
PS cheap level 5 (that repairs for poo poo but whatever) is to barter Ragman 2 gold chains and 3 coffee for a gzhel. Should end up around 90-100k if you watch flea for good prices.

Another question for people - is there anything worth crafting for later-game that isn’t basically ammo, moonshine, or mag cases? I’ve been making hoses in the lavatory between mag cases but that seems to be heading to a revenue-neutral point. Making sugar in nutrition unit when I have chocolate and cigs for the M1A barter. Salewas in med unit for the 10-15% profit. It seems like there’s a point where you’re better off just selling raw materials on flea vs mucking around in the hideout though; like the time cost just isn’t worth it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol this game will never be out of early access

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i mean I’m no game dev but if you were actually worried about current end-state gameplay i feel like you should be looking at balancing weapon effectiveness vs bullet effectiveness vs armor effectiveness, realism be damned, instead of loving with poo poo that helps players actually get to that gameplay.

It’s funny cause every decision like this just makes it more and more obvious that bsg has zero idea what they’re doing wrt game theory, gameplay loops, etc

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ShowTime posted:

No, it is lovely development. There aren't many shills here. I just recognize they are a small, independent, new studio. I want the game to be better, but I also recognize what they can do because of their limited abilities. I know they are hiring more and more as the game gets bigger and sells more. Maybe they'll hire enough people or the right ones. Until the game gets better, i'm just not gonna play. I'm also not gonna complain and complain.

lmao they have a billion bucks from their game blowing up on twitch and can’t find their rear end with both hands

your “I don’t play, I won’t complain, i’ll just uncritically repeat whatever devs and Pestily say” is pretty tired. I play the game, I generally enjoy it for what it is, and I’m going to complain about poo poo becUse it’s funny as gently caress that the devs continually make pants-on-head stupid decisions

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Zigmidge posted:

Good lord nobody gives a poo poo about any of this. You bought into a beta, gamer.

Given the state of gaming and the ways games are released, falling back on “it’s just a beta though!!” Is hopelessly naive at best

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Also someone explain to me how THICC cases significantly impact RMT cause I don’t get it. I rush the therapist quest, sell my thicc case on the market, and rake in a big scoop of 7-8m rubles net? And make well over uhhh, 10’s?? of dollars selling 8m rubles rmt? I have no idea how much 8m rubles is actually worth but I can’t see the effort actually paying off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Or, like someone else said, if you move your stash backpack stack to your character and back to put on a backpack

If stacking a billion backpacks and filling the 2x5 gaps with what, antique axes or thermometers or something in order to sell millions of rubles for rl money is a real thing that needs to be combatted, I feel like your game has bigger issues than you can solve with “you can only wear one backpack!”