Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I don't think he actually plays the game outside of the flea market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah. Maybe the intent was to combat bots? But it's really going to suck for any legit new player.

I started playing Tarkov this wipe, and I was already not looking forward to the next wipe. I get that it's fun to play when everyone's starting from nothing, but I don't know if I'm going to have fun grinding through the same questlines. I'm imagining Streets of Tarkov being released and being all hype to play it, but also feeling an obligation to go back to Customs, Woods, and Shoreline for ages to level up and unlock traders + Epsilon case. If flea market is at level 15 it'll be especially rough.

Periodic resets work in games like Path of Exile where you get to try a completely different character (along with new buffs/nerfs/changes to the underlying game), but in Tarkov I'll be doing the same poo poo again.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

I'd really dig a deathmatch mode. I can't seem to shake my CSGO spray patterns and I don't get enough PVP exposure to drop them.

Do an offline Factory raid, set scavs to the hardest option and turn on tagged and cursed - this is the closest you'll get to a deathmatch! You won't get to fight other players but at least you can practice recoil etc.

On that note, I feel like I remember hearing about a planned squad vs squad arena mode or something?

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

causticBeet posted:

With the hideout, now more than ever, you will basically reach a point where you have a passive income and enough liquid that you can consistently run whatever gear you want. Start loving around with more cool guns, run a higher baseline of armor/meds. Focusing on PVP is cool and fun, making money is only half of the goal, and the “taking other people’s money” part has always been more fun.

I'm definitely at the point where I'm feeling this a bit more. Any recommendations for a good loadout that's a step up beyond the penis helm / 6B3TM budget default? I'm thinking either a Tactec or the Zhuk that ragman sells or Killa armor, plus some sort of helmet with a faceshield? If anyone has nice gun builds I'm all ears too, want to start playing more with VSS's and low recoil M4's / AK's

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

DrPop posted:

I really want to start running the AKM and 103 more. What's the most meta you can get their recoil down to, and with what mods? Just trying to toss on Pretty Good poo poo has helped reduce recoil a bit, but my builds so far still don't seem to be worth using instead of an M4 or 74 if I want to go non-7.62 NATO.

I've been using this doc for "meta" gun builds. The AKM on this sheet has 65 vertical recoil. But I've also definitely heard that if you're planning on full auto'ing a gun you'll probably want an M4 or an AK74. The M4 recoil build on this sheet has 32 vertical recoil but tbf it probably costs $300K or so.

Also a shout out to the budget tab on that doc, you can put together an AK74 with 63 v.recoil for only $60k at most. I've been using it a bunch and it's great.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Lemon posted:

I finally managed to get up to Level 10 and unlocked the Flea Market; is it worth me bothering levelling up the traders at all any more?

Yes, although you don't necessarily need to rush anything. Traders should naturally level as you do quests, aside from a few where you have to make a conscious effort to spend money with them.

Why? Some hideout upgrades require a certain trader to be at a certain level, so if you want a bitcoin farm up and running at some point you'll have to level them up. The most egregious of these is probably getting Jaeger to LL2. Separately, higher level traders often open up access to cheaper items than the flea market has. For example, a lot of attachments are sold for cheap by higher level traders, and some limited quantity ammo is also much cheaper from traders. Peacekeeper LL3 sells up to 200 rounds of M855A1 for ~$2.15 USD per round per reset, and Skier sells 100 more rounds at a similarly cheap price, when market price is often around ~$520 rubles.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, I remember a post on reddit from a Chinese player saying that there were a bunch of famous Chinese streamers playing Tarkov, and a bunch of clips and memes, so a lot of Chinese players ended up trying out Tarkov only to hit the learning cliff. It's especially bad because there aren't many Chinese resources for learning the game. So they get destroyed and turn to RMT... those who don't cheat, that is.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I know it'll never happen and it's against Nikita's vision, but I legit think a system where your PMC earns skillpoints each level-up which you can then spend to increase the skills could work. You'd have to know which skills are not garbage, obviously, but this change could rebalance skills and also implement it in a way where someone is probably never going to max out everything and therefore give players some meaningful choices. There are at least a handful of good ones to choose between - strength, endurance and recoil control for example, with lesser ones being stuff like health, searching, metabolism, covert movement, and the various weapon masteries.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2020

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Stux posted:

mosin sucks i hate it awful gun

edit: if youre going to use the mosin take off the rear sight thats my genuine advice cos the iron is garbage i hate it i will not use the mosin u cant make me

I remember hearing something about removing rear sight leads to the aim being hosed on the mosin? Or was that the front sight

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Hobnob posted:

Is that the m-cable + 3 marlboros one? I did wonder why the military cable goes for 35k or so.

Anyone have tips on the Jaeger "Kill 10 scavs at >50m range with an iron sight mosin" quest? I can't find a good spot for it, and I either need to get better aim or better eyes because I have had very little luck hitting scavs with it at that range.

50m isn't that far and you can probably just get it naturally if you bring mosins. But if you want to find specific spots, I would guess Woods or Shoreline would be the best. On woods there's a hill to the south of scav house that you can get on and snipe scavs in the field; you can also pick off scavs in the central area from the southern or western outskirts (although be careful of other players). On shoreline you can generally run along the waterfront and pick off scavs on the road or in gas station, or shoot them on scav island from the mainland. There are also sniper scav spawns at the power station and at the northern bridge / rock passage extract area.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Just tailor your weapon to what you're planning to do in raid. Going into dorms? I want a full auto gun every time. Creeping around on woods or on shoreline-minus-resort? A mosin is fine for cheap. Honestly it sucks to spray guns at anything past close range unless the gun is modded for recoil.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2020

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I will say that when I first got Tarkov, I somehow watched a Pestily video where he went into customs with just a pistol (wasn't even labeled as zero to hero smh) and it inspired me to try the same thing. I tried this 5-6 times and had an awful experience, I think dying almost every time. Yeah maybe I learned the map a little but I couldn't even kill scavs consistently. An SKS or a mosin are much better super-cheap alternatives.

Re: mosin chat - yes you can single tap AKs, but at range I would prefer to have the one-shot-on-thorax potential of the mosin. Even the cheap lps gzh ammo can do this even up to class 4 iirc.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Looks like there's a "75th Victory Day" sale going on today and tomorrow (until Saturday 5pm ET), for anyone who wants to buy the game or upgrade to EOD. 25% off EOD, 20% off all other versions.

I'm considering upgrading to EOD but I'm wondering whether it's worth it. I started playing in the middle of this wipe and found a big part of the game for me was focusing on quests to get the Epsilon case and the traders leveled up. Starting out with a Gamma and trader rep may almost remove some of the incentive to play. On the other hand, doing all those quests again might not be as fun on the second go, and it'll alleviate some of the pain of getting Jaeger to LL2. Hmm...

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Since it's my first wipe, anyone have advice on the best way to have fun and/or progress at the start of the wipe? I've heard that servers might be overloaded, which I'm expecting, but assuming I get to play, is there anything in particular I should be doing other than mainlining quests? I'm guessing FiR keys required for quests are going to be very valuable, since if anyone ever takes one with them into a raid you can't sell it anymore.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Somehow I managed to find two flash drives very early on (and extracted with them for the FiR), but have yet to find any gas analyzers.

On the FiR change, I agree that removing hatchlings is a move towards how the game was 'meant' to be played and generally provides a better in-raid experience. However on the other end, the most noticeable impact of the change for me is that makes me play super scared anytime I get a FiR quest item. At least with the 'get quest item and extract' type quests, the quest item is always there, even if others have also gone and gotten the quest item before you. With the 'find X in raid' quests you're never guaranteed that the item is there, and someone could easily get them before you. If they wanted to encourage more rat-like gameplay, they've succeeded, but personally I don't find that very fun.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
The mosin is one of the best guns in the game for its price and availability. Especially combined with the fact that Prapor LL1 sells both the mosin and LPS Gzh for extremely cheap. It's been my go-to budget gun this wipe so far; literally the only place it isn't great is in super close range combat like in dorms or factory, and even then it's a respectable weapon.

Your game plan is simply to hit their thorax, which should generally one-shot people. Take time to aim shots. Even with iron sights I've found it to be very accurate and never have any issues. If you hipfire, or if you try to ADS and shoot immediately, you'll probably miss or hit the stomach or something. The thorax is probably smaller than you're imagining and many center-mass shots end up being stomach hits, so aim at the top of their body.

Edit - re zeroing talk, I had read somewhere that guns are zeroed based on the type of ammo initially loaded in them (so if you change ammo mid-raid it may not be zeroed properly), but can't confirm. I've personally never had that many noticeable zeroing related issues, just click heads.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2020

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
A co-op game would be cool but the AI would need to be a lot better than current Tarkov. Have you seen how dumb scavs are? Or how bullshit some of the raiders / bosses can be?
Also, I feel like the PvP is what makes this game... the highs of killing a geared boy and taking his stuff, the lows of getting one-tapped just before you extract with your quest item... a co-op game would be fun but wouldn't get my heart racing like Tarkov, which I feel is one of the only games that can do that anymore.
But yes, the FiR change clearly makes things much more difficult for casual players. I do think it should be changed back and another solution to hatchet runners should be tried.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
The scarcity / high price of good guns and ammo is one of the things that's annoying me so far. It's all well and good to say, "this is early raid and people are supposed to be playing scrappier", but Ragman 2 sells a pretty cheap class 4 armor, which I already see many people running, and which invalidates a lot of guns. I want to play with 5.45 AKs, but PP ammo isn't enough, 700 roubles per round for BP/BT ammo is crazy, and having to scav reserve to scrounge up the ammo kind of sucks (and if you do this you're also faced with the opportunity cost of just selling the rounds instead). 7.62 AKs with PS ammo are not bad, but as others have mentioned you have to play them as a single fire weapon for any range past in-your-face, and if I'm playing at those ranges I'd rather have a mosin or a hunter. Speaking of which, though, 10-round mags for the hunter are going for 20k roubles each...

All that to say that this wipe has only decreased the variety of weapons I bring, and that the mosin is still king, baby.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I understand that, I'm just saying that mid last wipe (when I started playing) it felt like there were many budget options that could be dangerous to all players, while this wipe so far those options do not feel budget anymore.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Farming raiders just got even more valuable...
On that note last night I legit had a reserve scav run where I made $1M or so, just from killing three raiders and a scav, and selling their weapon parts plus a labs card I found on them. Made up for a bunch of lovely PMC runs leading up to it.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
What the gently caress. It's an items case now.

I'm usually on the live and let live side, the FiR changes were annoying to me and made the game a little more unfun but I could see the reason behind it (hatchet runners) and I was fine to play with them.

This change though... changing this midway through the wipe just fucks anyone that didn't rush this questline. I get that the idea is to make it harder to make money which theoretically extends the "mid-game", but this isn't one of those things that you can change mid-wipe. The wealth disparity is only going to grow because of this.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
It seems like raiders can spawn in the new underground area too, which I'm looking forward to! I"m guessing there'll be a ton of people going down there now though.

Although it might be interesting. I always felt like the reserve underground tunnel areas would be cool to have firefights in, but it was rare to see others down there.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Apparently vendor prices for a bunch of items have been altered, and traders have been shifted around in terms of who's best to sell stuff to. Notably,
- Bitcoins now sell for 97k to therapist, 106k to mechanic
- Fuel conditioner nerfed to 30k
- Magazine box nerf, and strangely crackers sell for a ton to therapist.
Reddit thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/hj9ydz/vendor_prices_have_been_altered/

Personally, I'm just sad. My bitcoin farm construction literally just completed today, and I had been saving up / buying graphics cards for a bit.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
145k or so. Not a huge cut, but I'm guessing it's enough to make the bitcoin farm take a decent bit longer to pay off. At the same time, I would guess that the mag case nerf means that you can't resell or craft empty blue fuel cans to recover as much money as you could before, so fuel will overall be more expensive.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

No one was doing that. There's enough broken with the game you don't need to make things up to whine about.

I don't have strong opinions here but there was literally someone in the last thread who was doing exactly that. Ambiare or something, I think it was.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
You get one bitcoin at the end of the timer, just like any other craft. You should not have gotten a bitcoin midway through a timer. Is it possible that the first 20 hour timer completed, giving you one bitcoin, and then you left it for 13 hours more? That could explain how you had one bitcoin and 7 hours left on the timer (to get your second)

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
For what it's worth, the one and only situation where I was 100% certain I was killed by a hacker was on reserve, and the hacker was a player scav.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Best: Reserve
Good: Interchange, Shoreline
Okay: Factory, Customs
Bad: Woods
Haven't played enough: Labs

I think I like shoreline more than most. Fighting inside Resort is super fun, and I actually think it's my favorite place to indoor close-quarter PVP. The rest of the map is super boring, yes, but game-design-wise Tarkov probably does need a map with wide open areas that you can get long range engagements in, and IMO shoreline does this better than woods. I think Interchange is great aesthetically and the feeling of fighting inside this huge mall is super cool, but actually playing it I feel that the map can be pretty random just because there's so many angles, long sightlines, and dark corners to check.

Factory is ok if you want quick close quarters pvp battles or to farm scavs but not for much else. I would rank Customs higher if the loot were better.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
There's also vocalizations. Pscavs will very rarely vocalize, but when you get close to an AI scav they'll frequently start shouting some russian.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I hit 20 finally after 90 hours of play.. I'm pretty awful at this game with a 21% survival and 1.74 K/D.

I'm using a lot of Saiga 12ga with 8.5 buckshot right now for some fun... It's obviously awful against anyone with a face mask and range.

I've been also using AKMSN AKMS weapons a lot but trying to figure out a decent build that doesn't break banks..

I died yesterday to my gun swinging wildly left and right while trying to Aim Down Sights while straffing, is there a way to lower this sway? Is it ergo?

There used to be many more options for lower level / poorer players that could easily put them on even footing with more geared players, like the mosin and the hunter. However, various price increases, and the increase of thorax hp, have made these weapons less good.

Using a 7.62 AK is a good and cheap choice, and something I did this wipe in the earlier levels. 7.62 PS ammo is super cheap and a very good budget option. As mentioned the recoil for these AKs are high, so you just have to be disciplined and tap-fire at medium-to-long ranges. I still like the AK over an SKS because you have the option to full auto at close ranges, say in dorms or resort.

Other than that, I would recommend that if you happen to kill other PMCs (or just find their bodies) and they have nice weapons, take them and use them, don't sell them. Resale value for PMC guns is pretty low this wipe since they aren't find in raid. Of course, if you're following the quests, you'll probably be railroaded into using certain types of guns too.

A really good budget option is to trade MCables and malboros to Mechanic for an AK Zenitco, and just throw a sight and foregrip on it. You can't do this until Mechanic LL3 which happens at level 30, but once you get there it's a great standard budget gun.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
PVP by itself is not profitable unless you are *very* good at this game. Imagine you're going up against someone with equal gear and skill as you - you'll win the fight 50% of the time, but the loot you'll get off his body will only be worth a fraction of the value you brought into the raid, because a) you can only sell it to vendors, and b) you probably won't loot all of it. That's a negative expected value. Of course you could bring in better gear and up your winrate, but you're also risking more value there, too.

The way to do it is to run to areas with good loot and treat the PvP as a fun side reward/activity. Sometimes I seek out PvP for its own sake to have fun, but I don't expect it to be profitable. For dorms specifically, the only times it makes financial sense to go there imo is if you have quests there or if you have one of the two closest spawns to hit marked room.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Goons were nice, goons were helpful, this is done.

There are many more quests to come that are much easier when you're playing in a 5-stack. Anything involving planting or finding stuff at Factory is made trivial, and most other fetch quests are much easier because there's four fewer PMC's potentially trying to kill you (and four more meatshields to draw enemy fire!). One quest that stands out in particular is literally called "Bullshit", where you have to get an item from the bridge in Customs, go to dorms and drop it off along with a bunch of other stuff, and survive the raid, all without killing a single scav. While yes you could get it done solo by running from scavs or using flashbangs or something, it's much much easier in a group.

What I'm saying is, play with goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah it's really only useful in close quarters situations where you and your opponent(s) both know the other is there. But in those situations, it's really useful. Especially if you're doing this at night and the other guys made the mistake of wearing night vision.