Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just started playing this game today and it's fun but my old fat heart might not be able to take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like I've done okay for my first day, I've just been doing Scav poo poo. I've been killed most of my runs but I made it out a few times with some piddly poo poo. My biggest problems so far are that I keep blasting scavs thinking they're players and then they all seem to go hostile, and that I absolutely do not know where I am when I spawn in so I spend more time trying to figure out where I am on the wiki map than I do playing the game.

I know that last one will become less of a problem with experience but I am also a bit miffed that this game appears to take place in a parallel universe where the compass was never developed.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rycalawre posted:

went into customs and died within 1 minute. Ah well

This has been my experience in the week or so I've been playing, almost exclusively.

Enter map, spend 5 minutes figuring out where the hell I am on the map, start moving someplace I think I want to go (I don't really know, ever, where I want to go), get drilled in the head.

A few minutes ago I did almost 300 damage with a shotgun and still didn't drop a single person.

But it's oddly fun.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

Many players move towards the nearest enemy spawn when the raid starts to thin the competition. If you're spending 5-10 minutes standing in the spawn, that's probably why you're getting shot up.

I'm not just standing still right where I'm at or anything, it's just that I'm moving around kind of aimlessly trying to spot a landmark while my attention is more than half on the map I've got open on my second monitor.

I try to stick to cover or concealment while I'm doing this but without knowing exactly where I am it's hard to know what angles are the dangerous ones, especially since I haven't learned all the spawns yet.

Anyway I'm just posting to post, I'm not bothered by this and I realize it's one of those things that comes with experience.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've been in several fights now where I lost and in the after action report it says I did 300ish damage to a guy's body.

Is the damage reported straight up "this was subtracted from the other player's health bars", and thus the guy I lost to is probably super hosed up and a heartbeat away from death, or is the damage report at the end of a raid like pre-mitigation somehow and thus I'm not reading it correctly?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I knew I almost had that fucker

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Reading things and watching videos has instilled a healthy fear of dorms in my noob rear end to the point that I pee a little if I even see the buildings lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've learned about the Labs, where apparently some awful poo poo is going on, and the occult markings at specific places on the maps.

Are they going to be adding supernatural or scifi type stuff at some point or is this just all background lore?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This is pretty neat. I dunno if I'd want them going too far into fantastic stuff but cultists with different AI could be cool.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

today I learned that Killa is hostile to player scavs

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Things I did in Tarkov today:

- After 17 total raids as my PMC, finally killed another PMC. I was beginning to think I'd never do it.
- Got a fractured leg in the middle of the Woods and then realized I forgot to bring splints or painkillers
- Limping along in Woods, stumbled into a marked area and looted a weird assault rifle (DT MDR) that didn't seem to have any kind of sight attached when I aimed down it. It felt like my dude was holding it at a really weird angle too
- Killed a scav and he had ibuprofen!!!!
- made it out and immediately decided to call it quits for the night cuz always end on a high note

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Today's objective was to acquire a Customs key and complete Delivery from the Past.

Never been into factory before so I scavved in to have a look around and got lucky and found the key immediately. Made it out, nice and easy.

Took me two tries to get the docs from Customs, but that's how it do.

Figured after that fairly easy scav run in Factory doing it as a PMC couldn't be too bad. Reality crashed into me about six seconds after I loaded in. Fastest I've ever died so far. My precious documents are gone :saddowns:

This feels like kind of a mean quest to hit a newbie with. But I will persevere.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ixtlilton posted:

any time you have that quest goons will stack factory with you and protec

Yeah I just tried it again and didn't make it so might have to get some help for it. I've never used discord for much of anything and I don't generally play games where I need to talk to people so the whole thing will be a very new experience for me.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah I just tried it again and didn't make it so might have to get some help for it. I've never used discord for much of anything and I don't generally play games where I need to talk to people so the whole thing will be a very new experience for me.

Goons were nice, goons were helpful, this is done.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This has been your daily update of a noob's Tarkov livejournal

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress this game :saddowns:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

General Probe posted:

Obviously, but that said, what happened?

It was just one of those nights you have in competitive games that make you question whether you've actually learned anything or are improving at all. Five PMC deaths in a row on Customs, two of them to AI scavs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

They're going to find me dead at my desk over this emotional roller coaster

This is why I hate this game but more importantly it's why I love it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm still using PACA and the penis helmet and bank robber rigs and the SKS and other poo poo nobody wants so I don't worry so much about losing gear, I worry more about where I'm going to put it all when I log on the next day and find I got five or six full kits back in insurance.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I spawned as a scav whose last name was Fartovvy :haw:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Three and a half weeks in Tarkov and I've gone from pants-shittingly terrified and almost unable to move when I spawn in as a scav to howling and laughing like an extra in a Mad Max movie as I attempt to find the biggest motherfucker on the map and cheap shot him before he sees me coming.

Not QUITE that confident with my PMC yet but getting there.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I used and still use the SKS a ton because 7.62 PS is so competitive. That 10 round mag can be an absolute motherfucker though. I've tried the PP-19 a few times but I don't like it very much, though I think at least some of that is 25 fuckin' years of FPS muscle memory causing me problems. If I'm not literally repeating "go for the legs" to myself constantly then I just kinda instinctively go for the head/center mass instead. It's not an easy lesson to unlearn.

I'm with you on not liking the 5.45 AKs. You can give 3 tushonka to level 1 Prapor for an AKM so there's one not too awful way to get a 7.62 AK early. You can also give 8 of those brown-handled daggers that scavs always have to Peacekeeper for an MP5.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've started to appreciate Factory. No worries about when a fight is gonna break out, it's coming immediately and you can always hear it coming.

gently caress Reserve forever, though. Definitely my least favorite map.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like the map itself cuz of all the places to go but I have two beefs with it: it takes a long time to get into it as a scav and the PMC extracts always seem very dangerous.

I'll probably feel different when I've got more experience but as someone who still struggles with pvp it's not the nicest place to visit.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've been struggling to do the Tough Guy quest for Jager. I was trying to do it long range with a Mosin, but I finally got frustrated and said gently caress it, took an AKM and hauled rear end straight into the middle of the lumberyard intending on killing anything I saw. I killed a scav, then saw somebody that might have been a PMC charging straight at me and dropped him. Right as he went down I thought to myself "never seen anyone wearing a parka like that before" and it turned out to be Shturman. Grabbed his poo poo and booked it, killing two more scavs on the way out, so not only did I finish Tough Guy but I also got my first scav boss kill.

This game has a way of making you feel low when you fail again and again and again and then just when you're near your limit it loving elevates you with something like that happening.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Did you remember to loot his stash?

I sold the key for I think almost 300k cuz I didn't know where the stash was and didn't really give a gently caress, Woods can tongue my butthole. The labs keycard I accidentally sold for 70k because the game autoselected the goddamn key when I opened the flea market. I was trying to sell sugar and didn't pay close enough attention to what I had selected.

That kinda sucked but I'm not the sort to really rage at video games and I realized early on everything in this game is easy come easy go, there's always another one just around the corner.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hocus Pocus posted:

Let go of your attachment to earthly things. Can one ever really own a SV-98? Possessions are transitory, life is fleeting.

I died on a scav run with a graphics card and a tetriz in my bag a couple days ago I have reached no gear fear nirvana

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

aw man. I just had a backpackless Scav run, so I figured I'd go kill an AI scav and get myself a backpack for loot.

I see two scavs in Oli, one with a Pilgrim, so naturally I run up to the Pilgrim scav and get it it's face for an easy headshot. cute little guy is wiggling and I think nothing of it as I euthanize the npc lootbox.

it was a pscav. his backpack was full. he was being friendly and wiggling. I'm the problem. :ohdear:

I ran into my first friendly player scavs a couple of days ago. One dropped me a bandage and the other one wanted me to follow him for awhile. I did but frankly the whole thing just felt weird and I'd prefer it if we just stick to shooting each other.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I come to you with a glad heart today, gentlemen. Nearly two months now I have been playing this game, and for approximately a month and a half of that time I have scoured every filing cabinet and every jacket on every map, every tech store and tech spawn that I know of on Interchange. I have searched high and low, prayed to gods both real and imagined, and considered dabbling in the blackest of arts to find that most elusive of items. Until today I had seen exactly three of them, ever. Two were turned in, one was lost to death, and then nothing for what felt like an eternity. But moments ago, on an Interchange scav run, I found it and made it out alive with it: the third gphone needed for Signal 2.

gently caress this quest. I cannot loathe it enough.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm finishing up my hideout. Is the booze generator just a money sink? Moonshine seems to sell for about 240k, but two sugar (70k each, sometimes more) + pure water (80-90k) is ~220ish and you'd probably eat that last 20k just in fees listing the moonshine right?

I know you can use moonshine in the scav case, but I've done some intel scav runs and haven't been impressed by the returns. It feels like gambling, the kinda thing where you're operating in the red while you hold out for some dream score that throws you back into the black.

Am I right that these are bad, at least in terms of pure roubles?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also got a dog tag case and a grenade box that is stuffed full of f1s

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Is there some sneaky way into the crack house intel room on Customs?

I spawned as a scav 42 minutes into the raid, was close to the crack house so I ran there and camped on the interior stairs waiting for someone to come along. Some guy comes up the metal fire escape, enters the building, loots the med room, and then he comes out of the intel room, through the only door that leads into it which was closed and in my line of sight the entire time.

I tried figuring out how to do it in an offline raid just now and while you can kinda hang by your toenails on the upper floor windows I refuse to believe that anybody can reliably jump from window to window to get in there that way. Especially since the dude was only level 12 and I doubt someone that new would know a trick like that.

But it had to be that right?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

the compass, mostly useful to new players, is 160k from level 3 jaeger.

Yeah this is pretty dumb. One of my first posts in this thread as a new player was about how much trouble I had orienting myself and how Tarkov apparently existed in a universe where the compass was never developed.

Two months later and I can't ever see myself needing a compass to figure out where I am.

The compass should be in your inventory right from level 1.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the right click mag reloading could be great but without a secondary "put a full stack of this ammo type in my secure container" button it's just wasted!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Is it possible to be the only PMC in a raid? I just did an Interchange run where I didn't hear a single gunshot that wasn't me or the scavs I was fighting. Quietest raid I've ever had, it felt really weird.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently you can scav into Customs and appear in sniper scav locations :allears:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I thought it was really unlikely that I ended up alone, especially on a Saturday morning in the US. But I thought it was equally unlikely that I'd go a whole Interchange raid (I extracted with 8 minutes left) and not hear a single gunshot that wasn't me or the scavs who were shooting at me.

Maybe everyone was running suppressed and took all the scavs by surprise or maybe everyone just laid really low. But I went all over the map, including all around the outside, cuz I was leveling my sniper skill for Tarkov Shooter so I was hitting up all the scav hot spots.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hidden stashes have gotten even better now that you can find high end helmets and armor. I pulled a Slick out of one a couple days ago and I'm currently drowning in level 4 helmets.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Check your containers so you don't pee a little when you open one post raid and realize what could have happened.

I went into Customs with nothing but a Mosin cuz I needed to kill sniper scavs. I got the one on the smokestack and the one on top of Warehouse 17, then figured I'd just run around looking for trouble cuz it was no biggie if I died. Managed to kill a PMC with a Pilgrim and a scav vest so all of a sudden I had a huge backpack and could try to take some stuff out with me. But he wasn't wearing any armor so I was still naked.

The tree behind old gas had a Blackrock under it and I scooped it up without looking inside. Grabbed some other stuff on the way out and I wasn't being too careful cuz I wasn't that worried about losing the piddly poo poo I had. But all went well and I extracted safely.

The Blackrock had every single slot filled with items, including a blue keycard. I could have lost that fuckin thing without ever knowing I had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fuckwolf posted:

I’m just getting started with this game. I’ve only got about 5 hours of play time so far, so I’m predictably terrible. I don’t think I’m getting any better, though. Definitely getting dropped frequently by Scavs offline. Can anyone refer me to some streamers that have good content for beginners? I’ve watched a few videos, but they’re all like “36 INS@NE TIPS 4 EFT BEGINNERS, OWN CHADS!” Something like a full walkthrough of a raid in Customs would be fantastic.

I want to play with goons eventually, but I don’t have headset so it would probably be kind of lame to not be able to ask questions and communicate. I should just get a drat headset since playing WITH people was one of the attractive things about this game.

Try Karmakut's playthrough if you want to watch somebody who's starting fresh and talks through what he's doing and why pretty well. Pestily's raid series is pretty good too but don't try to play like him, he's reckless and while it seems to work for him it absolutely will not for a noob.

You will want a mic if you're gonna play with other people.

And you ARE getting better, you're just not gonna feel like it for awhile. I was in the same place you are a few months ago. This is not a game you can learn without going in and just doing it and that means a lot of dying and feeling humiliated. Figure out what you did wrong each time or what you could have done better, because there's always something.

Run your scav as much as you can and always always always go for headshots.