Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Actually that rule kicks rear end and should stay forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Shea Weber retires in 25-26 (the last year of his deal) his recapture is $7,857,143 for 3 years, then $999,999 for one.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Just get rid of frontloaded contracts or have their cap hit each year be whatever the actual salary is.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Just get rid of frontloaded contracts or have their cap hit each year be whatever the actual salary is.

They've rewritten contract rules twice now to minimize crazy differences in salary year over year, it's basically not an issue anymore.

It's looking like some teams might actually get annihilated by the contracts that do exist so the league needs to do something about it, but since some teams have already been punished by, or made trades because of, Brian Burke's spiteful retroactive rules they can't just scrap recapture. Since it's the NHL all they can think of is to keep piling on rules to complicate things.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Actually that rule kicks rear end and should stay forever.

:hai:

Chaos reigns

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

4 Orange Julius'!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/hmvkbb/nhl_picks_hub_cities/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/W90-iWQkExE

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That looks pretty amusing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie O'Connor has a fantastic read on how Eric Wellwood went from his horiffic injury to turning around the OHL's Flint Firebirds as their head coach.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/1280905705747341313

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol at buffoslug

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1280638153741742080

"Wikipedia posted:

According to historian Kerry Trask, Black Hawk and his fellow prisoners were treated like celebrities because the Indians served as a living embodiment of the noble savage myth that had become popular in the eastern United States. Then and later, argues Trask, white Americans absolved themselves of complicity in the dispossession of Native Americans by expressing admiration or sympathy for defeated Indians like Black Hawk.[180] The mythologizing of Black Hawk continued, argues Trask, with the many plaques and memorials that were later erected in his honor. "Indeed," writes Trask, "most of the reconstructed memory of the Black Hawk War has been designed to make white people feel good about themselves."[181] Black Hawk also became an admired symbol of resistance among Native Americans, even among descendants of those who had opposed him.

Based on most of the replies to that tweet, that seems accurate.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
And all the redneck hockey fans come out to cheer that they won one and "common sense has prevailed".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell yeah :toot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1280638153741742080

Based on most of the replies to that tweet, that seems accurate.

They're named after a military division and their logo isn't an attempt at a depiction of Black Hawk or the Sauk. It's just generic 'Indian'.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1280925570738671621

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's been explained to me many times but I still don't get how an Cartoon of an ethnicity is cool for a logo. Name is fine, history seems fine, but what's wrong with just redesigning the logo to look like, I dunno, a Cartoon bird or whatever?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He has?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

It's been explained to me many times but I still don't get how an Cartoon of an ethnicity is cool for a logo. Name is fine, history seems fine, but what's wrong with just redesigning the logo to look like, I dunno, a Cartoon bird or whatever?

Short answer is it’s not cool but huge segments of the population see any change to things they’re used to as a personal challenge and a lot of people would rather be assholes than ever admit they were wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Short answer is it’s not cool but huge segments of the population see any change to things they’re used to as a personal challenge and a lot of people would rather be assholes than ever admit they were wrong.

Yeah there was a very vocal group of Cleveland fans that went batty when they finally got rid of chief wahoo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you all should read that article from the athletic on the hawks logo/name from a few weeks ago, it was great

https://theathletic.com/1888307/2020/06/25/is-it-time-for-the-chicago-blackhawks-to-drop-their-native-american-logo/

that one

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

https://indiancountrytoday.com/archive/culturally-appropriate-chicago-blackhawks-logo-by-first-nations-artist-vOVpIQl9X0-cFZj68BnPJg

heh

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They're named after a military division and their logo isn't an attempt at a depiction of Black Hawk or the Sauk. It's just generic 'Indian'.

Isn't the military division named after the person?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bewbies posted:

you all should read that article from the athletic on the hawks logo/name from a few weeks ago, it was great

https://theathletic.com/1888307/2020/06/25/is-it-time-for-the-chicago-blackhawks-to-drop-their-native-american-logo/

that one
tl;dr/don't-have-a-subscription?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, do that. It's just a better logo in every way.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1280959281907589121

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they even officially announce those two as the hubs? I don't recall that.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Isn't the military division named after the person?

Yes, but that's the division McLaughlin served in in WW1. It'd be kind of like naming your team after the P51 you flew then saying they're name after a horse.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Eric Wellwood got engaged to a family friend and basically ghosted her to chase puck bunnies*, so he can get bent.

*no disrespect to the pod, they are good

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Except the statement from the team itself said almost the exact opposite:

quote:

The Chicago Blackhawks name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois’ Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public,’’ the Hawks’ statement said.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All Native American named teams should change their name.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All Native American named teams must have at least 75% Native American players.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

This is really the only answer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cartoon Man posted:

:emptyquote:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, but that's the division McLaughlin served in in WW1. It'd be kind of like naming your team after the P51 you flew then saying they're name after a horse.

I'm not really sure what your argument is. Are you saying the name is fine, because it's only indirectly colonialist? Like if someone who played for the Washington football team started a restaurant, named it after the football team and then told people its named after a football team I played for, not a racial slur, thats okay?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Technically no as it’s part of the PA vote that’s currently going on so it’s not official yet and everything is just “leaks”, but it sounds like every single media person Has a copy of the docs they are voting on which has Toronto and Edmonton written on them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

Except the statement from the team itself said almost the exact opposite:

I mean yeah, they have to lie or else they have no defense instead of just a lovely one.

It's not like it's a secret, it's right there in any history of the team.

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'm not really sure what your argument is. Are you saying the name is fine, because it's only indirectly colonialist? Like if someone who played for the Washington football team started a restaurant, named it after the football team and then told people its named after a football team I played for, not a racial slur, thats okay?

No I'm saying it's worse.

The name comes from a military that were Black Hawk's enemy, and paraded him around like a toy when he was defeated. That's not him on the logo, and the military and team never meant to honor the man. It's not even really his name.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rename every team in the league for a fun COVID down time project! They're nicknames so who actually cares? Just don't be racist with them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EYSL-3sFmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Rename every team in the league for a fun COVID down time project! They're nicknames so who actually cares? Just don't be racist with them.

Flavor Town Flame T-Shirts