Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Huggybear posted:

Like does any other team have this bad of an issue with the cap right now?

Literally half the league (most of the West). A lot of NHL GMs are former players who most likely have played during a time when helmets werent mandatory and basic education was skipped for more bag skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

College Slice

Cocaine Bear posted:

Like a third of the league, actually. Nhl GMs aren't a smart lot.

show your work

the canucks are committed to eriksson (6), sutter (4.38), roussel (3), beagle (3), myers (6), edler (6), jordie benn (3), ferland (3.5) and baertschi (3.36) for next season

that's just the REALLY bad contracts. i left off horvat, boeser and pearson's only moderately bad contracts

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

show your work

the canucks are committed to eriksson (6), sutter (4.38), roussel (3), beagle (3), myers (6), edler (6), jordie benn (3), ferland (3.5) and baertschi (3.36) for next season

that's just the REALLY bad contracts. i left off horvat, boeser and pearson's only moderately bad contracts

Given Ferland's health might his desl become LTIR?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

meanwhile, in nashville

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

Bad hockey timing: I turned on the Nashville Edmonton game for the start of the 3rd period thinking ďoh, this will be a good competitive game for Nashville.Ē

Man was I wrong. 5 goals in 10 minutes holy lol.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Draisaitl has 43 goals and 107 points in 66 games jfc

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?

Nap Ghost

While driving from Ohio down south today we got passed by a lady with a horrifying Gritty head over the headrest in her passenger seat. I tried to get a pic but my phone was set to video mode and I missed it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Saviour, thy name is Knuckle

Leon Draisaitl: not as good as Nicushkin

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ahahaha

https://twitter.com/EvolvingWild/st...4609966080?s=20

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Val Nichushkin had one (1) assist tonight. would like to see Draisaitl do that

(touches earpiece) ah. okay

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Lol that's hosed up. but also lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

look Nichushkin was a nice add for the Avs but, uh, I don't know how you can compare the two just on a 1 to 1 basis and come away thinking you'd rather him on your team than Draisaitl

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

I think their whole line of thinking / schtick is that Draisaitl isn't great at suppressing shots. So, fair, by some fancystat measures he isn't nearly the best player in the league.

By the measure of "is he a German warlord who will crush his enemies", then he's the runaway Hart favourite.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

only two countries have produced both an NHL MVP and a ballon dor winner. assuming draisaitl closes this thing out Germany will be the third

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Again, Torts took him to a very high mountain and showed him Nationwide and all its splendor.

"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will lay down and block for me." -Jackets 15:16

fits posted:

meanwhile, in nashville

And then God said "hold my beer" and somehow made the night worse for Nashville.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

And then God said "hold my beer" and somehow made the night worse for Nashville.

Yeah, this was a poo poo thing to wake up to this morning (I donít live in Nashville anymore but still know a lot of people) poo poo this sucks.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

This is sustainable right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How was he so bad on the Kings??

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I assume it's a combination of the Kings being a garbage fire, and Washington having the luxury of deploying him on the third line where the disparity in talent between him and his on ice competition is vast.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FYI here is a go fund me setup to help people displaced by the tornado.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/37206-se..._pd+share-sheet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I lived an hour west of Nashville ten years ago and I am here to tell you there is nothing in the world as pants making GBS threads terrifying as a tornado. I got to experience a couple of them far closer than I ever wanted to. One time a heavily wooded hill a half mile from my house had a 30 foot wide, quarter mile long swath of trees just... gone, after a tornado hit there. Like a giant took a weed eater to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He was bad in Montreal too.

Washington has that good pseudoephedrine though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Again, Torts took him to a very high mountain and showed him Nationwide and all its splendor.

"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will lay down and block for me." -Jackets 15:16

Eric the Mauve posted:

I lived an hour west of Nashville ten years ago and I am here to tell you there is nothing in the world as pants making GBS threads terrifying as a tornado. I got to experience a couple of them far closer than I ever wanted to. One time a heavily wooded hill a half mile from my house had a 30 foot wide, quarter mile long swath of trees just... gone, after a tornado hit there. Like a giant took a weed eater to it.

TV coverage of SCF Game 1 last year was interrupted by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torna...93_Dayton,_Ohio

Breathing a sigh of relief that a tornado missed you only to find out a second goddamn tornado is on its way is a hell of a thing. (Fortunately, both missed me.)

Anybody who bitches about their show getting pre-empted by storm coverage can shut it.

e- One of the tornadoes destroyed Hara Arena, which was home of several Dayton IHL/ECHL/Federal League teams over the years.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"I believe I did, Bob."

Fun Shoe

Kovalchuk was top 5 on the Habs for points per game and was overall pretty decent there for a 36 years old. Then again the Habs suck so much overall that he could be a pretty okay player and look really good compared to the rest of the team.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kuznetsov is also very obviously trying a lot harder with Kovalchuk around now, which is the sort of thing I think of when people make fun of players saying they have to work harder. Sometimes it may be blather when they don't really want to say the other team is better than them, but sometimes guys just aren't really giving 100%. Players are humans and motivation is variable, turns out.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

TV coverage of SCF Game 1 last year was interrupted by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torna...93_Dayton,_Ohio

Breathing a sigh of relief that a tornado missed you only to find out a second goddamn tornado is on its way is a hell of a thing. (Fortunately, both missed me.)

Anybody who bitches about their show getting pre-empted by storm coverage can shut it.

e- One of the tornadoes destroyed Hara Arena, which was home of several Dayton IHL/ECHL/Federal League teams over the years.

Those touchdowns missed my fiancee's parents by a quarter of a mile.

Do not gently caress with tornadoes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Kuznetsov is also very obviously trying a lot harder with Kovalchuk around now, which is the sort of thing I think of when people make fun of players saying they have to work harder. Sometimes it may be blather when they don't really want to say the other team is better than them, but sometimes guys just aren't really giving 100%. Players are humans and motivation is variable, turns out.

One of my reservations on e.g. giving Kreider a huge contract is that itís a contract year, so heís going balls to the walls in February games when most players are in Power Saver Mode. I do think itís a thing, at least sometimes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...onth-left#adams

Sullivan winning the Adams because he had lots of injuries but still managed four PPG players over Bednar or Torts with lesser rosters would be a joke.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

That isn't the press box unfortunately. I went back to see how the pairings had been working out so far and the breakdown: JMFJ - 50% Letang, 16% Marino, and 10% Schultz, 8% each Riikola/Ruhdwedel. Now I had it in my head that Marino played predominantly with Pettersson which is why I even looked this poo poo up: Marino - 37% Pettersson, 21% JMFJ, 18.5% Letang, and 16% Dumo. Schultz has played with Pettersson and JMFJ only....the Schultz JMFJ pairing is really really really bad. They are actually worse together than which is going to be awesome to watch. Also....I would like to see Riikola play with an actual NHL player....his numbers with Ruhd are surprisingly passable (Riikola appears to be carrying Ruhd) so I'd be interested to see him with Schultz/Marino/Pettersson.

Edit: ^^^ Torts should win the Adams hands down imo. This 6 game losing streak really soured me on Sully.....mostly becasue he isn't smart enough to not play JMFJ so much and against tough competition.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

You say 'in bed with the Russians' like it's a bad thing...

glynnenstein posted:

Yeah Kuzy has definitely acquired Alex Semin disease. Get lazy during the regular season knowing you can just turn it on in the playoffs and then the playoffs come and you find don't have "it" anymore. He was such a beast in 2018, they really need that version of him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I, uh, donít think you have to worry about Sullivan winning the Adams anymore

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

if you're looking at awards predictors/tracker articles during the season as anything but lazy click-generators then that's on you

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013

bewbies posted:

only two countries have produced both an NHL MVP and a ballon dor winner. assuming draisaitl closes this thing out Germany will be the third

Czech Republic and Russia the other two? Only other country I could maybe see it being is Sweden but I don't think Zlatan or Larsson ever won it.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

bewbies posted:

Without knowing all that much about soccer, I'm trying to rack my brain hazarding a guess at the other countries... maybe Sweden (Forsberg/Sedin & Zlatan Ibrahimovich?) and USSR/Russia (Kuch/Ovi/Geno/Fedorov and...?) or maybe Czechoslovakia? (Hasek/Jagr and ...?) Someone help me out here...

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

https://twitter.com/satchelprice/st...5510684672?s=21

Hockey is for everyone da Troops

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 3, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hockey is for everyone who can pay $10 to watch an away game.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

goldrush posted:

Without knowing all that much about soccer, I'm trying to rack my brain hazarding a guess at the other countries... maybe Sweden (Forsberg/Sedin & Zlatan Ibrahimovich?) and USSR/Russia (Kuch/Ovi/Geno/Fedorov and...?) or maybe Czechoslovakia? (Hasek/Jagr and ...?) Someone help me out here...

It's the USSR and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Both of the Soviet citizens who won the Ballon d'Or were Ukrainians, not Russians.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

Both of the Soviet citizens who won the Ballon d'Or were Ukrainians, not Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Yashin

(was CR and Russia: Yashin; Fedorov/Ovie/Malkin/Kucherov, and Pavel Nedved; Hasek/Jagr)

Also I just realized that both Yashin and Nedved were mildly prominent NHL last names as well, lol

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I was surprised there wasnít a stupid answer where one of the super early Hart winners wasnít a British immigrant that moved as a kid in the 1890s or something