Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's interesting- I guess he won't be picking up NBC games then South of the Border, anymore?

All the more reason to cement Gord Miller as Doc Emrick's successor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Weaponized Autism posted:

I'm liking these odds

So teams that need to play in are 5-10x more likely to win compared to a team with a bye. The math checks out!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

I'm not sure the CFL will be doing the CFL anymore.

4 games a week in Regina sounds just fine to me.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
yeah, I am ready for hockey. I am loving tired. I spend most days and nights going between worrying about my job disappearing, whether or not I'm being a lovely dad because I'm stuck in a room at home, worrying about America burning down and Canada ignoring first nations people, I can't go visit my family in BC this year because they won't lift the travel ban to Haida Gwaii (rightfully so) and its getting loving hot in Ottawa and I'm out of popsicles and I already made my weekly shopping trip so gently caress you in your butt if you want to see this blow up so you can laugh about it and say I told you so.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

mennoknight posted:

yeah, I am ready for hockey. I am loving tired. I spend most days and nights going between worrying about my job disappearing, whether or not I'm being a lovely dad because I'm stuck in a room at home, worrying about America burning down and Canada ignoring first nations people, I can't go visit my family in BC this year because they won't lift the travel ban to Haida Gwaii (rightfully so) and its getting loving hot in Ottawa and I'm out of popsicles and I already made my weekly shopping trip so gently caress you in your butt if you want to see this blow up so you can laugh about it and say I told you so.

You're a good dad and a good poster go hug your kids.

I want hockey back because I want all the dumb, young dudes who don't have families to just livestream their Olympic Village poo poo 24/7. Especially since actual 24/7 got shitcanned because Mike Babcock is the worst, and all the knockoff budget versions individual teams made (Oil Change, 24CH, etc they all loving have them now apparently) kind of suck rear end. Like I don't know who who the Bruce Boudreau of this bizarro world version of "relatable behind-the-scenes sports show" will be, but there's gonna be one, and I'm ready for it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MaoistBanker posted:

I am down as hell with this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBB0M2EFg-v/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=45A70E62-49D6-4B78-9630-067E235D2BB5

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I want sports to be back so I can talk to my coworker on our calls about something other than COVID-19.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I miss my idiot coworkers being all "getting rid of Babs was a terrible decision and tie Domi should be in management" instead of "masks are for pussies and all lives matter".

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I need something else to get mad at, so come back hockey, please, for a week, until you get shut down again

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All players who wear 19 should be banned.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MaoistBanker posted:

gently caress you, give Gord Miller back. The US can have Dave Randorf or Paul Romanuk. Hell, you can have both.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

grack posted:

gently caress you, give Gord Miller back. The US can have Dave Randorf or Paul Romanuk. Hell, you can have both.

We have enough things to not look forward to.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Glad to see Ovi Jr does do rebounds

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

If this is what it takes to stop Mikko Koskinen from wearing, 19 so be it. That is not a goalie number.

I will gladly die on this hill.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aphrodite posted:

Larry Robinson's gonna come out of retirement to paste you into the boards and permanently warp them again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKd4HJNSbQg

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Twin Cinema posted:

I want sports to be back so I can talk to my coworker on our calls about something other than COVID-19.

Just work in sports for a Canadian company like I do. Not a problem.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://twitter.com/BHCdotcom/status/1265648144811003909

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Again, the Bundesliga is back and has had a handful of positive tests, the EPL is back in full contact training and has had around ten positive tests out of 1500. All were asymptomatic and self isolated. I would expect hockey to be back and the weird playoffs to go broadly fine

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tanking is a great way to eventually win some cups though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

deoju posted:

If this is what it takes to stop Mikko Koskinen from wearing, 19 so be it. That is not a goalie number.

I will gladly die on this hill.

Sup number traditionalist goonbro. :hfive:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If I was an NHL goalie I'd wear, like, number 8 just to piss people like you off :colbert:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

If I was an NHL goalie I'd wear, like, number 8 just to piss people like you off :colbert:

Ban this sick filth.

Edit: I was obsessive about this poo poo as a young goalie, and it still runs deep for me...

A comprehensive list of acceptable numbers for goalies...
0 or 00, John Davidson and Marty Biron. The association with zeroes is obvious.
1, the Ur-Goalie Number
2, Czech, Slovak and other eastern Euro goalies wear this, dunno why, but they've been doing it for ages. Only they can do it, and only in international tournaments.
20, Tretiak, enough said.
27, Hextall
29-39, this should be obivious. I might even extend this to 28, and through 43 by proximity.
Subsequent multiples of 10. 50, Crawford. 60, Theodore. 70, Holtby. 80, Weeks. 90, Ayers (:lol:).

I will also accept numbers that are inversions of numbers they've previously worn if they are otherwise taken. ie, 53 for Khabibulin in Chicago, because it is retired for Esposito. 92 for Vokoun in Pittsburgh because Fleury wore 29.

I will further indulge numbers with notable stories, such as Carter Hart not wanting to change his issued number because it would disappoint some kids who bought his jersey while he was still in camp.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 6, 2020

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

As a teenager, I had to play with the number 4 as it was the biggest jersey available and the only one that fitted over my goalie gear :shobon:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Marty Biron briefly wore 00 as a rookie. He was banned from doing so after it was discovered that the league's crappy stat tracking software couldn't handle it and it caused the program to crash.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hey you remember that 42 year old Zamboni driver for the Toronto Maple Leafs who played goalie against the Toronto Maple Leafs and beat the Toronto Maple Leafs?

He wore number 90 that night he beat the Toronto Maple Leafs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ThinkTank posted:

Marty Biron briefly wore 00 as a rookie. He was banned from doing so after it was discovered that the league's crappy stat tracking software couldn't handle it and it caused the program to crash.

Lmao. Didn't know that was the reason.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tbh, it really wouldn't have much effect because one of the people I work with was a youth goalie and would wear 8 or 9 whenever possible in honor of Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya (his favorite players) respectively.

He eventually wound up wearing 39 because it had a 9 in it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Angelstad n Desjardins

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There should be a rule that if your surname is Griswold, then you have to play with the 00.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

deoju posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Edit: I was obsessive about this poo poo as a young goalie, and it still runs deep for me...

A comprehensive list of acceptable numbers for goalies...
0 or 00, John Davidson and Marty Biron. The association with zeroes is obvious.
1, the Ur-Goalie Number
2, Czech, Slovak and other eastern Euro goalies wear this, dunno why, but they've been doing it for ages. Only they can do it, and only in international tournaments.
20, Tretiak, enough said.
27, Hextall
29-39, this should be obivious. I might even extend this to 28, and through 43 by proximity.
Subsequent multiples of 10. 50, Crawford. 60, Theodore. 70, Holtby. 80, Weeks. 90, Ayers (:lol:).

I will also accept numbers that are inversions of numbers they've previously worn if they are otherwise taken. ie, 53 for Khabibulin in Chicago, because it is retired for Esposito. 92 for Vokoun in Pittsburgh because Fleury wore 29.

I will further indulge numbers with notable stories, such as Carter Hart not wanting to change his issued number because it would disappoint some kids who bought his jersey while he was still in camp.

Random :words::

I've waffled on multiples of 10 but they're common enough that I'm fine with it. Elvis wears 90, but Ayers is a more fun example.

Markstrom wearing 25 is a sin.

One of the EA NHL games I played assigned Curtis Sanford #2 in the minors which made no sense until today.

Bob wanted 1 in Philly but it was retired and picked 72 in Columbus because he thought it was a cool number (and presumably because Steve Mason was 1).

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Now I want a goalie to wear either 87 or 66 to really piss people off.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I like players who use their name to gimmick their number... things like:

Dumba wearing 55
Tootoo wearing 22

which makes me hate players who didn't use their name to gimmick numbers
Haula 56 (so close!)
Commodore 64 (what a loser)

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Lest we not forget Steve Heinze wearing 57. And that the Bruins wouldn’t let him do it because they’re no fun jerks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hirez posted:

I like players who use their name to gimmick their number... things like:

Dumba wearing 55
Tootoo wearing 22

which makes me hate players who didn't use their name to gimmick numbers
Haula 56 (so close!)
Commodore 64 (what a loser)

Wasn't Haula stopped from wearing 55 because whatever team he was on at the time said "I see what you did there" and said no?

Devin Shore, who I constantly forget is on my own team, changed to 74 because his friends always reminded him that it rhymes with his name and constantly gave him poo poo about him not wearing it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's the idea behind Haula and Dumba wearing 55?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

Haul rear end, dumbass

Schremp Howard posted:

Lest we not forget Steve Heinze wearing 57. And that the Bruins wouldn’t let him do it because they’re no fun jerks.

Oh man this brings me back to Steve Heinze being one of my favorite players when I was a kid. Totally forgot he existed til now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i also did not get the joke so i too am dumbass

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Arivia posted:

thank you for asking the question I was too ashamed to ask and also I love Matt Dumba now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Haul rear end, dumbass

Yeah but what about Dumba?