Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Got to meet Bernie Sanders, then watched the Red Wings beat the Blackhawks.

Today was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cocaine Bear posted:

Covid-19 gonna kill all the olds. Other than obviously Detroit and democracy, which team benefits the most?

Looks like a double win for me, boys

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

hasn't mattered for Ottawa, Detroit, Arizona or Florida

Actually, LCA has been pretty full this year, things considered!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

TIME TO GO TO THE COW PALACE

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
DON'T CANCEL A THING, GARY

ALL WE WIL HAVE IS HOCKEY

EVERYONE IS GONNA BE HOME!!!! WATCHING HOCKEY!!!!

THIS IS OUR TIME

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Shinjobi posted:

Hahahahaha, it's funny because I promise you there's at least one suit thinking it out loud

SOMEONE GET THAT SUIT IN FRONT OF GARY

IT'S HOCKEY TIME, THE SPORT WITH ATHLETES THAT BELIEVE IN GERMS

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
IT IS HOCKEY'S TIME NOW!!!!!!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

This is literally the BoG's thinking. We live in the stupidest possible timeline run by the most idiotic people imaginable.

You would think Gary Bettman would take any opportunity to shut down the season!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GARY, YOU DUMBASS

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I guess it's time for a 31-team playoff, hmm.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

Should cancel the draft lottery and the draft can be held via telephone with the current standings imo. Cannot be too safe with the corona

You really can't, this is a good idea
Then have a 31-team playoff

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Time for a 31-team, NCAA tournament style first round. Everyone in, give everyone some playoff revenue.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

tarbrush posted:

30. Red Wings have been eliminated already

Nope. Everyone in. Besides, what would the Wings' potential opponent, Boston, be so scared of?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

CBJSprague24 posted:

Detroit looks like it could pass as a regular Road jersey.

That was the Red Wings' white jersey, in the Gordie Howe era, from 1934-61.

The current one, with red sleeves, has been here since 1961.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Huh, I heard a story that the Wings used to put a white pinney over their regular jersey when they played the habs and that's why the white jersey has coloured sleeves. Guess it isn't true then.

Nope. The red sleeves came from trying to add more red to the jersey, and red sleeves sort of signifies red "wings".

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A Cup win is a Cup win.

Even if the NHL institutes a 31-team playoff and the only team mathematically eliminated before the quarantine started goes on an epic run to win it all.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
huge news from sources

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1252982970161549313

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
*slow, mournful Chelsea Dagger plays*

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aye Doc posted:

the team has a 49.5 winning percentage over the past 3 seasons, having spent that time basically cap-crippled (current free cap space: $175,558 via capfriendly), and their immediate future looks current Red Wings-level bad. there's plenty of reason to can the dude without him being a piece o' poo

Well, that's on the GM.

From a business standpoint, the Hawks' turnaround was entirely due to who they just fired.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This quarantine has finally broken me.

Should I buy a video game system to play NHL 20 on? If so, which one?

Haven't owned a video game since Sega Game Gear, for reference.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Get EHM if you have Steam.

Why?

Also, what are both of these things?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

Get NHL 04 for PC and install the NHL 04 Rebuilt mods on it, it's not perfect but it's better than any other hockey video game I know of.

If you like arcade-ish hockey fun then try to get hold of a PS2/3 and one of the NHL 2K games.

e: I have a dream that one day someone will finally make a modern hockey video game where 95% of the goals aren't scored by skating into the corner and passing to someone in front of the net for a one-timer

Now this is a good suggestion! Bonus points for the original game coming from when the Red Wings were good and at the Joe Louis Arena.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Duckman2008 posted:

Buy a Switch and play Breath of the Wild or at least Mario Odyssey.

Edit: except you can’t buy a Switch anywhere, so this really only applies if you’re cool with a handheld.

none of this means anything to me

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't install the roster or arena updates if you don't want the Red Wings to be terrible and at the Pizza Palace

I won't!

Looked up the original rosters, and the Wings have Hasek and Cujo in net. Only major player I need to trade for is Sergei Fedorov, then I'm good.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

For prime nostalgia use practice mode to have Draper fire pucks at Hasek's face

Is there a mode where when the Wings are on the power play at home, digital fans will stand up and block the bottom 40% of the screen?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

https://mobile.twitter.com/jameswisniewski/status/1256333218166394881

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's been 69 days since the Maple Leafs lost to their own zamboni driver.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, if you want to work in a Toronto, GO access is a must outside of Toronto proper.

This is from last year, but https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2019/04/new-map-charts-gta-home-prices-go-station/ but it gets you commute time to downtown (for hockey reference, Leafs play right at Union, the centre of the map and the Marlies are at Exhibition one stop over) and who the gently caress knows what real estate prices will be like by the time moving is a possibility anyways.

For reference, my coworker takes the train from Oshawa to Union. Driving takes her around 2-3 hours during normal work hours or around the same time as the train if she gets in to work before 7.

"old cummer"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ZuluDashOne posted:

Hello errybody. New to the site/forums.

I like hockey.

let's go Red Wings

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Poor Red Wings fans have been waiting 30 years for a number one pick.

Not much longer to wait now!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

I am only okay with the league rigging this lottery entirely in Detroit's favour because a byproduct is the Canucks getting to move this year's pick for Miller, but man why is this being considered at all and why the change in lottery rules?

- the league is concerned about an expanded playoff system where a lottery winner could then go win the Cup, and teams with low lottery odds are happy to bargain them away in exchange for Bonus Playoff Revenue
- the lottery rules were changed recently to keep Edmonton from not always winning the lottery, the rule change would just be changing it back
- NBC is starved for content, and would love to televise a NHL Draft

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ZuluDashOne posted:

Hmm I think I missed the memo and now google is just spitting back old dated stuff. What were they going to change for this year?

Reverting to an old format, where there is one lottery winner to move up a maximum of three or four slots, instead of three winners for the first three picks.

This would take the Wings from a 49% chance of a top 3 pick and a 51% chance of the #4 pick to a 49% chance of #1 and a 51% chance of #2.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Twin Cinema posted:

Marked to-read

I am fascinated by Jimmy Carson's career. He came into the league scoring 141 goals and 286 points in 240 games. All in his age-18 to -20 seasons. He was included in the Gretzky deal. For whatever reason, he just couldn't maintain these totals, and was out of the league at 27. Truly fascinating.

Ended up coming to Detroit in a trade, retired, and immediately went into finance.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

In exchange for the NHL rigging the draft for the Red Wings I am prepared to give up Justin Abdelkader.

He is banned for life.

He's just gonna get sent to Grand Rapids and become a player-coach or something, like Dan Cleary.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

I said banned for life, god drat it

I just got woken up by a bad text from a mutual friend of Abby's, banned for life is now completely appropriate

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

DId the wings pull the plug again?

A woman thought that it was very urgent to mass text out some Mike Cernovich tweets, just after I fell asleep.

Time to block someone, in real life

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It looks like the worst takes online belong to Brendan Leipsic, according to Twitter.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Brian Burke tried to arrange a fight with Kevin Lowe at a rented barn, Bettman had to veto it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Kite posted:

Just to turn this back to stupid debates...

I wish the search function worked so I could find a few moments. I remember a discussion of which current players are HoF worthy, and I suggested Frolov and Ryan Smyth from the Kings. Afterwards mennoknight went on a hilarious rant about how most of us don't even realize how few players get in the Hall and what it takes.

How many of the recent Stanley Cup champions will be Hall of Famers, and how much does winning the Cup impact that?

The Blues have Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and potentially O'Reilly.
The Capitals have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, potentially Carlson, potentially Oshie.
The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, potentially Kessel.
The Blackhawks have Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford, Hossa, potentially Seabrook.
The Kings have Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, possibly Brown, possibly Gaborik.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

There was a raging argument in the summer of 06 after the Wings lost to the Oilers that they should trade Datsyuk away for a goalie and sign Scott Gomez instead. Good times

The Wings then brought back Hasek, and had two future Hall of Famers in net.

The Wings' playoff runs from 2007 to 2009 were quite great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Brown's not sniffing the hall, historical stuff ain't anywhere close to being enough, his numbers aren't even close to sufficient. If Theo Fleury ain't in, Dustin loving Brown isn't.

Kopitar might if he wins another Selke

counterpoint: Guy Carbonneau, HOFer.