Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

He's been showing a lot more recently, but it has definitely shown that it's hard to adapt from 98-foot-wide rinks to the NHL's 85, especially how wingers have to play in the neutral zone against fast competition. This has changed in recent years, as bottom-sixers are as likely to be speedy as they are to be hulking. Of course, I'll add that the "problem" with Hughes is clearly that he plays for the Devils.

For what it's worth, most Liiga games are played in 92-foot-wide rinks, not 98.4 (28 m vs. 30 m vs. NHL's 26 m), so the difference isn't that big.

That goes for most KHL rinks too btw (17 out of 24 teams use either 92 or 85-foot-wide rinks instead of the full 98.4 ft). Not so many full-width Olympic rinks are used in European hockey today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mikael Granlund's lacrosse goal against Russia in a Worlds semifinal is my top individual moment probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHrOCJnx_I

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Schremp Howard posted:

Olli was a treasure

Such a perfect recreation of that old Panther logo

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I watched it on Sportsnet and they didn't do that, so you just heard players and coaches yelling on the sidelines. I prefer it to the canned noise.

Totally agree. I think fake crowd noise would be bad and distracting. It's a unique set of circumstances, people will understand why games sound like a practice rink and enjoy them regardless.

Of course it's still pretty likely they'll do it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What is home advantage in a neutral site game? I think they changed who gets last choice at who's on the ice to the team on offence, so just center ice faceoffs? Will they pipe in crowd noise for the home team?

I believe the home team still always gets last change, so that's a real advantage. What they changed recently was just who has to put his stick down first in offensive zone faceoffs.

But definitely, over a 7-game series with the site being neutral and without fans, home advantage is not going to be a huge factor.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

I guess Edmonton is a good choice for a social distancing hub because no one wants to go to loving Edmonton. We're gonna end up with all PDT late night games aren't we...

Without fans they can ignore the local time zone and schedule freely. It might annoy the players a bit but they'll adjust to earlier game times.

Like the UFC will run their Abu Dhabi Fight Island events at like 2am to 9am local time so that it's at the normal US time. Obviously this won't be nearly as bad.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

So uh what happens if placeholder teams get in the top 5 and the playoff bubble thing doesn't happen? Another lottery?

I'd guess they would then just fill placeholders in the normal reverse order (by regular season points-%). And then no more lotteries needed unless they maybe want to give a chance to the other teams too as a consolation for having to skip the playoffs.

But yeah I dunno if they've announced what the procedure would be if there's no games.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lol. what the hell

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Somehow I always enjoy watching the video they release of the actual lottery draw even after I know the results. I wish this were shown live on TV too.

https://www.nhl.com/video/bettman-draws-lottery-for-2020/t-277350912/c-5386233

I like Bettman's shocked "I'm sorry?" after being told the 1st pick is Team E at 09:15.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So apparently it's Toronto and Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1278335780218339329

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Shouldn't it be the other way around to ensure the Leafs and Oilers don't have any kind of home advantage? Or have they decided to ignore that factor?

I'm sure they considered it but the easier time zones are probably worth it. It would be tougher for everyone involved if the games in Edmonton started super early and the games in Toronto super late, local time.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The dumb part is that the streams are real high quality themselves. It's the apps that gently caress it up. That's what Hockeystreams did, they just ripped off the official ones.

I'm pretty sure Hockeystreams.com encoded their own streams from HDTV broadcasts.

In contrast, almost every free option then as well as today just uses the NHL.TV / GameCenter Live streams.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Where is this press conference streaming anyway? Twitter?

For example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPH2uxwvSZI

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh nice, the guy just said they'll reveal the uniforms today too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kraken it is. Nice logo

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fake crowd noise provided by EA Sports.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

Why the fake crowd noise? May be just when a goal is scored?

I'm sure it'll be used throughout. If you're lucky they might provide an alternative stream or something without it but it's most definitely on full blast in the main broadcast.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Who's going to sing the national anthems?

Michael Buble on the opening night.

https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1286478611080515591

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

myron cope posted:

I haven't been paying attention much to the actual format, so there's play-in series and then round robin stuff too. So the Pens and Canadiens play and then the winners seeding is determined... somehow?

Top 4 in conference gets a bye to the actual 1st round and will be seeded based on their round robin record. Round robin is played simultaneously with the play-in round using regular season rules, 3v3 overtime, shootout and all that.

Bottom 4 in conference will be those who qualify from the play-in series and will be seeded based on their points-% record from the regular season. Play-in round uses playoff rules, infinite overtime.

Oh and lest we forget, one of the 8 teams eliminated in the play-in round will get the 1st overall draft pick.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

myron cope posted:

Can the players hear the fake crowd noise? It's gotta be weirder for them than us. Watching highlights it sounded not so bad, I didn't catch the game live though so no clue how it played live.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29544868/how-nhl-games-look-sound-restart

"We're going to experiment with the crowd noise inside the arena. That's something we're going to do during the exhibition play. We've heard what it sounds like in here, but we want to actually hear if it's a distraction for the players. I heard a report that some of the baseball players, it sounds like, had reactions to [piped-in crowd noise]. So we're going to try it out. Let's see what level it needs to be at."

myron cope posted:

I also noticed they had local ads on the boards which seemed strange. Like Pittsburgh ads on one half and Philly ads on the other.

I'd assume this is only a thing for the exhibition games, and understandable at that. Once the playoffs start they tend to have the same board ads across the league even in normal circumstances.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

tarbrush posted:

So I didn't get a chance to watch any of the games. Were they as low quality as ten men on the ice suggests?

They were OK. At least they play like they give a poo poo knowing they only have this one game to prepare for the real stuff. The play-in teams do anyway.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just had an aha! moment, as I realized why the "STANLEY CUP" text was so far off the blue line. They must have intentionally left a blank space under it where they can add a "PLAYOFFS" once they officially start, so probably not until after the play-in round.

For reference:

2019:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Levitate posted:

I wonder if they're basically just trying to punt it as far as they can and hope that a vaccine can be produced before then

Maybe they're just synchronizing it with NHL's tentative plan which currently says December 1 (which is optimistic as hell but also definitely the earliest it could humanly be for the NHL).