Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Okay, so Johnny Boychuk took a skate to the face tonight...

:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_EvzezHGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good christ 90 stitches to fix Boychuk's eyelid.

Better than getting his eyeball sliced open.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

James van Riemsdyk has a broken hand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought for sure Hughes would have about 50-60 pts

I don't know what you're talking about, Hughes has 52 points. The good Hughes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Worst Antiques Roadshow episode ever

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm sure they'll pipe in crowd noise.

I'm also sure said noise will include the requisite racial slurs in Boston and Philadelphia

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:drat:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Rumours are MLB is suspending too, which is interesting because they're not even playing yet.

Spring training is on right now and that's been suspended, and it's more than likely going to go in to the start of the season.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

God, all these leagues shutting down or suspending play.

We might actually be forced to talk to our families! :ohdear:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

The NHL calling out the NBA in their statement is hilariously petty.

I was reading about several movies being delayed because of box office concerns. This all reeks of money rather than safety concerns. I'm sure the game can be played safely. The only issue is that there will not be a paying audience. I wonder how the players feel about this.

A second Utah Jazz player, Donovan Mitchell, tested positive for coronavirus due to Rudy Gobert's stupidity. There are reports that Mitchell was working out a local high school gymnasium, and there is a very real chance he could have infected people there given that coronaviruses can survive on hard surfaces for up to three days.

The safety concerns are very real and you are a massive loving idiot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Please stop being so unbelievably stupid. I'm sure all the team owners are loving ecstatic that they're going to lose a poo poo-ton of money from their TV deals.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh god, what about the SPHL? :ohdear:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

SPHL suspended its season

drat YOU COVID-19, drat YOU TO WHATEVER HELL EXISTS FOR CORONAVIRUSES!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Those poor players. What are they going to do without their paychecks of *checks notes* twenty bucks and half a pack of Lucky's per game?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Presidents of Toronto FC, the Raptors, Maple Leafs, Argos and Blue Jays announced that they will be creating an assistance fund for arena workers. They're putting their money where their mouths are as well - the four Presidents (the same guy is President of both the Argos and TFC) are personally contributing money to the fund, as well as other team management, coaches and players.

Edit:

Also

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1239331517916217345

grack fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 16, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The go/no go date for the rest of the season is probably the first week of May, so that's most likely the league announcing its best case scenario timeline.

Realistically I've resigned myself to the fact that the season is done.

Given the latest CDC guidance, that's probably what's going to happen. The NHL's new directive is basically "go home and see your family, there's no point in staying with the team".

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Correction: Pyongyang, North Korea

An oppressive, inefficient bureaucracy run by an autocratic megalomaniac?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TITANKISSER69 posted:

But enough about America

The joke was "Why would North Korea put up with the NHL?"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:effort: post of all the information I can find on support being provided for arena employees around the league. Take a look and see which owner is the biggest piece of poo poo! It's Jeremy Jacobs

Anaheim Ducks: Ownership will pay all part- and full-time workers scheduled until March 31

Buffalo Sabres: Ownership will pay all part- and full-time workers wages lost from any cancelled game, with support from players, staff and the Buffalo Sabres Foundation

Calgary Flames: Ownership will pay part-time workers a bridging benefit above EI payments up to 95% of wages lost. Calgary players have also started a GoFundMe.

Carolina Hurricanes: Ownership have announced that they are working on a plan to pay lost wages, no details

Chicago Blackhawks: Ownership will pay all part- and full-time workers through to the end of the season, based on games that were scheduled

Colorado Avalanche: Ownership will pay part- and full-time workers for the next 30 days, and have a program in place for other needs (food, etc.)

Columbus Blue Jackets: Ownership will pay all hourly wages for games that were scheduled but not played through the end of the season

Dallas Stars: Ownership will pay all part-time workers as they were scheduled until the end of the month

Detroit Red Wings: Illiitch Foundation has set up a $1 million dollar fund to pay the wages of any part-time staff from cancelled events/games

Edmonton Oilers: Have announced an "assistance" program for all Rogers Place staff, but no details were offered

Florida Panthers: Players have pledged to create a fund to help area workers, ownership has pledged that they will cover any outstanding costs beyond this amount. No details.

Los Angeles Kings: Will establish a fund (along with Clippers and Lakers) to help any staff affected by cancelled games. No details

Minnesota Wild: Apparently there is something in place, but I can't really find details

Montreal Canadiens: Ownership has pledged to pay 75% of wages for employees not eligible for EI, and will pay a bridging benefit for those that are eligible, to bring them up to 95% of wages lost. Players have pledged to contribute to a fund to pay the difference.

Nashville Predators: Ownership will pay for any shift scheduled at the time that the league was suspended, are working on a plan for moving forward

New Jersey Devils: Ownership will pay all hourly employees and arena staff for all postponed or cancelled games

New York Islanders: The Brooklyn Nets will be providing support for hourly employees at Barclays, including those scheduled to work Islanders' games, until the end of May. No specific details

New York Rangers: Ownership will pay all staff wages until March 22nd, and are working on a plan for after that time;

Ottawa Senators: Have announced an "assistance" program for all arena staff, but no details were offered

Philadelphia Flyers: Comcast has pledged to pay the wages of all staff scheduled to work until the end of March

Phoenix Coyotes: Ownership and the arena will pay part-time and hourly wages from all scheduled home games through the end of the season.

Pittsburgh Penguins: Have announced a plan to pay part- and full-time arena workers through the end of the season, through player contributions and two charitable foundations associated with the team.

Saint Louis Blues: Have announced the creation of a fund to assist part- and full-time arena workers, with contributions from ownership, players, and local donations. No details.

San Jose Sharks: Ownership will pay part-time workers from scheduled but cancelled Sharks and Barracudas games.

Tampa Bay Lighting: Ownership will pay part-time workers scheduled to work at cancelled Lightning games and NCAA events.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Ownership will pay a bridging benefit for all part-time employees to bring EI payments up to 95% of wages lost for four weeks. Additionally, management, coaching staff and players from the five major Toronto sports teams (including the Maple Leafs) are creating an assistance fund for hourly workers.

Vancouver Canucks: Have announced an "assistance" program for all Rogers Arena staff, but no details were offered

Vegas Golden Knights: Apparently have a plan, couldn't find details

Washington Capitals: Ownership will pay all staffs scheduled to work at an event until March 31.

Winnipeg Jets: Ownership will pay all part- and full-time staff scheduled to work at events until March 31

Boston Bruins: Marchand contributed to a GoFundMe to support TD Garden workers, but that's it so far. I also assume he'll return to his real job as a plague doctor.

Congratulations Jeremy Jacobs, you're officially worse than: Eugene Melnyk, the Illitches, Tom Dundun, Tom Gaglardi, Vincent Viola and loving Comcast. I hope you're proud.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Not to take away from Jacobs being scum, but this isn’t entirely true. The Sabres and Jets aren’t paying their arena staff either.

Both the Sabres and Jets have announced plans to pay arena workers, either fully (Jets) or partially (Sabres) funded by ownership.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Jets are paying 3% of their staff that qualify.

They're not laying off any full-time staff and are paying all part-time and casual employees through the end of the month.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 17, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Is that new since that lovely 3% letter? That’s good, that loving team has the richest owner in the league.

Yeah, the day after that letter came out. They were pretty much shamed in to doing it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Elliotte Friedman lookin' rough these days

grack
Jan 10, 2012

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm assuming that's because Jacobs hasn't (yet) figured out how to charge people for not showing up to a job they can't do.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Tom Dundon spent $250,000,000 trying to keep the Alliance of American Football afloat even though literally no one was watching halfway through its first season.

Actually he only paid a small portion of that amount to get control of a lot of the broadcast tech and reneged on the rest.

So this isn't all that surprising.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

One of the toughest things for an ex-pro must be going from a gazillion calorie diet to eating like a normal human.

*Keith Tkachuk nods while inhaling a bag of Lays*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That....is surprisingly reasonable. I know that the UK Premier League players have been dragging their heels in taking paycuts, calling it unfair.

NHL players don't really have a choice here, it's built in to the CBA.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ummagumma posted:

If that's all it was he'd be getting one more shift treatment along with Bobby Hull.

Although Rocky said everyone's job was safe a few months ago, perhaps the suspension of the season made him reconsider how the team is run. McDonough had little to do with on-ice decisions (at least in theory), but he had been vocally defending Bowman the past few seasons.

It would not surprise me if Bowman and Colliton are next...and honestly I'd welcome the removal of both at this point.

Hmm. "Blackhawks' GM Pierre McGuire" does have a certain ring to it, as does "Blackhawks' Head Coach Barry Melrose."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

I just don't understand what happens if they actually do start the playoffs and someone tests positive. Like say you're the afternoon before game 3 Caps Pens and Ovechkin tests positive. Do you play without him? Do you shut down the series until you figure out how he contracted it? Do you let the players stay in the same hotel any longer?
I'll be shocked if they actually award a cup this year

If games are being played and one player tests positive, there's a real good chance that way more people in that organization will have it as well. Locker rooms aren't exactly the most hygienic of places.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

lol

It looked like normal lovely beer league hockey at first but the end just killed me

I'm pretty sure it's actually from a Flyers-Penguins game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You're not getting a "starter house" in either Vancouver or Toronto for that price range.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I think it'll only take one ballot to get him it.

Booo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FBS posted:

Youth Hockey Player Attacked by Pit Bull organized by Tim Peel

He's not content being a lovely ref, now he's organizing pit bulls to attack children?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

How will Vancouver riot with social distancing?

Businesses in the downtown core will require people to wear gloves and N95 masks before they break in and loot everything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So which is the first team to get ravaged by Covid
Nothing like watching some sports heroes get destroyed by it to teach people to take that poo poo seriously, I suppose

Dallas

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zat posted:

Totally agree. I think fake crowd noise would be bad and distracting. It's a unique set of circumstances, people will understand why games sound like a practice rink and enjoy them regardless.

Of course it's still pretty likely they'll do it.

Just put a bunch of sex dolls in the stands like that Korean soccer team did.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So SARS-CoV-2 actually came from St. Louis, not somewhere in China. Got it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Is anyone kind of feeling, in light of recent events, this isn't really important any more and don't really care if they play this year? Or am I just a Bad Hockey Fan.

100% agreed. There are way more important things than sports these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

All the more reason to cement Gord Miller as Doc Emrick's successor

gently caress you, give Gord Miller back. The US can have Dave Randorf or Paul Romanuk. Hell, you can have both.