Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
This is sustainable right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How was he so bad on the Kings??

I assume it's a combination of the Kings being a garbage fire, and Washington having the luxury of deploying him on the third line where the disparity in talent between him and his on ice competition is vast.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

goldrush posted:

Without knowing all that much about soccer, I'm trying to rack my brain hazarding a guess at the other countries... maybe Sweden (Forsberg/Sedin & Zlatan Ibrahimovich?) and USSR/Russia (Kuch/Ovi/Geno/Fedorov and...?) or maybe Czechoslovakia? (Hasek/Jagr and ...?) Someone help me out here...

It's the USSR and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

bewbies posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Yashin

(was CR and Russia: Yashin; Fedorov/Ovie/Malkin/Kucherov, and Pavel Nedved; Hasek/Jagr)

Also I just realized that both Yashin and Nedved were mildly prominent NHL last names as well, lol

Josef Masopust from Czechoslovakia as well.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
"Inconsistent with the core values of the Ottawa Senators..."

He wanted the team to win?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
It turns out he wasn't a compatible liver donor.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
So, uhh, what's Gerard Gallant up to these days?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think one of the things Trotz was really good about with the Caps was that they have always been a... uh, shall we politely say... physical team. Tom Wilson's over-the-top shitheadedness, of course, but they've always had multiple guys who play on the edge. Under Trotz they did a great job staying right on the line between "physical and willing to dole out cheap shots to get inside their opponent's head" and "losing their poo poo and forgetting to play hockey instead of just goon it up".

Under Reirden, as the going's gotten tough it seems like they fall over the line. Their defensive organization sucks rear end.

What I'm saying is right now the Caps look a lot like the late Bylsma era Penguins.

All that said, they could have won last night with fewer penalties and better luck, or at least lost 4-3 instead of 5-2. Better goaltending would have helped but they did Holtby nooooo favors. I didn't think the Flyers were that great, just opportunistic.

I've come to hold the opinion that the Capitals woes are almost entirely coaching related. They've got a good roster, it's not perfect, but perfect isn't possible in the salary cap era, and it's not like they're throwing Milan Jurcina out there any more. The power play has looked like poo poo for months, and the only changes they've tried are moving Ovechkin, debatably the best power play weapon ever, from his natural spot to the point or right hand side. Zone entries are a joke, every team in the league knows that Carlson is going to carry it a bit then do that predictable drop pass for the "slingshot", it doesn't work and they haven't changed it. The defensive coverage is laughable and bleeds high danger chances at a ridiculous rate, which does Holtby no favors even as he's worked himself somewhat out of his slump, he's not the same goalie he was a few years ago (as an aside, I hope they don't use the potential large salary cap increase to re-sign him, that'd be a huge mistake). They don't make in-game adjustments (or at least not ones that work), and they don't seem to react to what their opponents are doing, just look at how handily Brind'Amour out coached Reirden during last years playoffs.

It's so odd to me that Leonsis has no problem signing players to market value (or above) contracts, but consistently cheaps out on coaches. Sometimes it works, Bruce Boudreau turned out to be a pretty good NHL coach, but he wasted years of Ovechkin and Backstrom's prime on Oates, and Hunter, and refused to goto market value with Trotz.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which is extra bizarre since there is a salary cap on players but not on coaches

He legit has some sort of issue with how he handles the coaching and management of his teams. Look at how long he held onto George McPhee past his expiration date, or ask a Wizards fan about Ernie Grunfeld (please, don't actually do this, you'll trigger some PTSD) or their coaching history (it's real dire).

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Are Montreal not only going to play Karl Alzner in this, the year 2020, but play him at... right wing?

https://twitter.com/stucowan1/status/1235712788057722883?s=21

Can that really be their best option?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps are poo poo and I’m just counting Ovi goals at this point.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Caps fans meltdowns are very entertaining to me. They're 5th overall in the league despite struggling lately lol

They're 5th in the league because they had a great tear to start the season, they've been an absolute garbage fire since December, and it isn't just lazy play or lack of talent, it's deep systemic issues from the top down. It's poor power play structure, predictable and ineffective zone entries, and a defensive scheme that doesn't actually defend.

This is before last nights game:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, wanted Ovi to get to 50 so bad.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

I suffer PTSD from that series to this day.

That one sucked rear end, but it was no 1987.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I'd say yes, but with the caveat that he's still young enough that if the right team picked him up he could still have enough of a resurgence that he could make an ok career for himself, maybe like Brett Connolly sort of situation.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Jaroslav Halak.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

AsInHowe posted:

It looks like the worst takes online belong to Brendan Leipsic, according to Twitter.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he’s done in the NHL now. He was already a healthy scratch and now he’s been caught saying horrible poo poo about women and minorities, also about teammates which in the grand scheme of things is far less important, but is the bit that will probably keep him from getting a new gig after he does whatever bullshit PR rehab I’m sure he’ll try.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't 500 goals still pretty much an automatic ticket

All but four eligible players with more than 500 goals are in (Bondra, Roenick, Turegon, Verbeek). Of the questionable 500 club members who will come up in a few years, in addition to Marleau I wonder if Hossa will make it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Good.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
drat it, I want enough regular season for Ovechkin to hit 50.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Potvin, Pronger, Murphy, MacInnis, Stevens.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Aye Doc posted:

hey what's Pavel Datsyuk up to, I sure would like to watch him play hockey aga---

https://www.rt.com/sport/492126-nhl-pavel-datsyuk-rebel-priest/

well then.

The priest sounds like a real great guy

quote:

Sergius, a former police officer who previously spent 13 years in prison for murder

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ThinkTank posted:

That man is the reincarnation of Rasputin.

Evidently he uses a coffin for a desk:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
How very NHL to gently caress this all up. American states and federal government racing to see who can handle Covid more poorly isn’t helping of course.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Twin Cinema posted:

I remember even old timers confused that Dick Duff got inducted in 2006.

That one was was definitely puzzling.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

All Native American named teams should change their name.

Yes.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Restarting is pretty dumb, and we’re all going to watch it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ThinkTank posted:

I've long said that I hate that he didn't win the Norris that year because the odds of us seeing another 30 goal defenceman in our lifetime is close to nil and that should've been celebrated way more.

E: what the hell when did the hockey reference season finder go behind a pay wall? This is devastating.

It really sucks, and there are no viable free alternatives I've found.

There have been 17 total 30+ goal seasons by a defenseman, from 8 different players. Green is the only one since the dead puck era. You have to go back to Hatcher in 92-93 and before that to Coffey in the 80's.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

All players should be required to dress like Iafrate, haircut as well:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

drat.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Congratulations Seattle fans, I hope you enjoy watching aging stars on bad contracts play hockey, I think GMs are going to be a bit more aware of the process this time after the Vegas expansion draft*.

*not applicable in Edmonton or Vancouver.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I hear Adam Oates is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
There should be a “ref you suck” button that a coach or team captain can hit when they think the call is bad and have it flood the arena with chants for 2-3 minutes. But it’s like a coaches challenge, you don’t want to blow your chant too early or you might not have it for a lovely boarding no call in the third period.