Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If I could get a real time display of who's on the ice on my second screen that'd be cool imo, but I don't want the broadcast cluttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You'd think he wouldn't want anymore family members to support.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

lol

But I'm not buying that story from a twitter account I've never heard of before.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What did we do during the lockouts? I've suppressed those memories.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They should play that one Caps/Pens playoff game from 09 or so when both Ovechkin and Crosby got hat tricks. That owned.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:hawaaaafap:

Ooof.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1244083445732716546

He also owns the Rangers.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
One time in the WHL a dude got traded for a bus.

Tom Martin was his name if you want to Google the details.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

fits posted:

under the 2005 rules the oilers would have the maximum 3 balls so

:sickos:

Oilers pick to Arizona for their first and Kessel.

E5

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

heeheex2 posted:

on that note:

Why are teams so afraid of putting these types of special patches anywhere else?
Like the shoulder or arm below the numbers. This looks crowded and lame.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Restarting the season is reckless. We'll be lucky to start the 20-21 season on time.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GeorgesLaraque/status/1255980562952617984

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i don't know what zub is and i refuse to find out. dont' tell me

Same.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There was also Mike Danton, who put a hit out on his agent. I think, I don't really remember and I'm not going to Google it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just watched the entirety of game 3 of the 96 World Cup of Hockey final on YouTube trying to scratch my itch for hockey. USA had no business winning that tournament. Canada had 11 Hall of Famers. It wasn't exactly a Miracle but it was definitely a Pretty Cool Thing, especially for tweenaged me.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wasn't there an MLB pitcher who got hurt literally falling off a bar stool? Not sure that'll ever be topped.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Read that Aliu thing. It's important.

I hope that Pens /Thrashers game is the one where Kane fought Cooke.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, when a player tests positive it means he's already been spreading the virus for days and half the team likely now has it and is also spreading it.

The Glorious Return of Sports will last about a week and a half tops.

Restarting sports right now is dumb. With the mortality rate some player or staff or family member is gonna loving die. Best case scenario is the Fall, but that's gonna happen cuz morons still refuse to listen to science. This poo poo is going to get worse before it gets better.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

"We're willing to risk your lives to mitigate our losses, but you'll be able to golf."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
^^^new thread title.

If they reopen but then have to shut down they'd better keep quarantine everybody for two weeks. If they let everyone go home they are just spreading the disease for no reason.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Sharks letting Pavelski go was a bad move too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cocaine Bear posted:

You want him back?

Pretty sure he's not NCAA eligible any more.

I'm not really a sharks fan. He was at the UW at the same time I was and I've loved him ever since.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm hoping someone will be brave enough to take a knee during the playoffs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's the full text so nobody else has to give them page views.

quote:

Evander Kane needs to mind his own business.

Kane plays left wing for the San Jose Sharks, and he’s black.

And Canadian.

Here’s what he had to say on ESPN’s First Take on Friday following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis: “We need so many more athletes that don’t look like me speaking out about this, having the same amount of outrage that I have inside, and using that to voice their opinion, to voice their frustration. Because that’s the only way it’s going to change.

“We’ve been outraged for hundreds of years, and nothing has changed. It’s time for guys like Tom Brady and Sidney Crosby and those type of figures to speak up about what is right and clearly in this case, what is unbelievably wrong. That’s the only way we’re going to actually create that unified anger to create that necessary change, especially when you talk about systematic racism.”

How about Crosby and Brady speaking out about it when they’re ready? Or not.

And how much credibility does a Canadian have when he says nothing has changed in hundreds of years? I know Canada is way up there in the frozen north, but you would think, by now, word would have reached Evander that America elected a black president 12 years ago. And then re-elected him four years later.

That was considered a pretty big change.

Maybe Crosby is smart enough to know he can’t win no matter what he says about what Kane perceives as systemic racism. And maybe he knows he’s a Canadian and should butt out.

Jacob Hancock of the Sporting News couldn’t let a major virtue-signaling opportunity go to waste. That opportunity presented itself when rioters defaced the Mario Lemieux statue in front of PPG Paints Arena on Saturday.

“Crosby has never revealed much about his personal life. He isn’t on social media and has never taken a stance on matters of circumstance. But with the nudge from Kane and the violence that’s taking place in the city that has helped make him an NHL icon, it seems selfish for him to say nothing.”

What Hancock is really saying is Crosby is being selfish by not serving up some inflammatory quotes to help him write a story and show how woke he is.

“Imagine what he could do for a league where fewer than 6 percent of the players are black, if he decided to stand with black Americans. Imagine what he could do for Pittsburgh, where the officer who killed unarmed 17-year-old Antwon Rose was acquitted on all counts four days after being charged with criminal homicide, if he spoke out against police brutality.

“Crosby has been served an opportunity on a silver platter to weigh in on an extremely tangible issue that matters to his hockey hometown. The question is, will he step up and attempt to score, or will he pass to someone else?”

When did the latest upheavals on the geopolitical landscape become opportunities for people who play sports for a living?

Maybe Crosby doesn’t agree with Kane when he says nothing has changed. Maybe he knows he doesn’t know enough about the subject to have a strong, credible opinion. Kane showed he doesn’t know enough about it to have an opinion that deserves any attention.

Or Crosby might agree with Jason Whitlock of Fox Sports, a former college football player and a black man, who said this about LeBron James’ comments on the killing of Ahmaud Abery by two white vigilantes in Georgia, “These athletes today who are trying to be Muhammad Ali for the most part, to me, are making fools of themselves,” he said. “Ali was not worth $500 million like LeBron James. He was not attached to a $100 million corporation like Nike.”

Here’s what James had Tweeted: “We’re literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes!”

Again, credibility. James is literally hunted every time he leaves the comfort of his home? No, he’s not. It’s a ridiculous exaggeration that destroys all credibility.

Crosby is doing just fine. He has been an adopted Pittsburgher for 15 years, and he’s done everything right. You won’t find anybody who has a bad word to say about him.

He does his job and minds his own business.

Leave him alone.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Schremp Howard posted:

Silly me, I forgot racism ended twelve years ago when Obama was elected. Steigerwald is the worst, he kept peddling the argument of "why don't we lower the speed limit if it'll save lives too?" during the shutdown. He's also the same guy who years ago wrote that Ovechkin was on steroids and got taken to task by RLam on his own show.

He also said the Giants fan who went to a Dodgers game and was beaten and placed in a medically induced coma had it coming because he wore a Giants jersey.

Sports 'journalism' and especially sports talk radio are full of meat heads who never outgrew the jock mentality.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
No more ties might help if they were good in the shoot out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does Tony Twist count?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Welcome back Marty. :glomp:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

"Health and safety is our highest priority, see you all in the locker room next week."

:rolleyes:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

All players who wear 19 should be banned.

If this is what it takes to stop Mikko Koskinen from wearing, 19 so be it. That is not a goalie number.

I will gladly die on this hill.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

If I was an NHL goalie I'd wear, like, number 8 just to piss people like you off :colbert:

Ban this sick filth.

Edit: I was obsessive about this poo poo as a young goalie, and it still runs deep for me...

A comprehensive list of acceptable numbers for goalies...
0 or 00, John Davidson and Marty Biron. The association with zeroes is obvious.
1, the Ur-Goalie Number
2, Czech, Slovak and other eastern Euro goalies wear this, dunno why, but they've been doing it for ages. Only they can do it, and only in international tournaments.
20, Tretiak, enough said.
27, Hextall
29-39, this should be obivious. I might even extend this to 28, and through 43 by proximity.
Subsequent multiples of 10. 50, Crawford. 60, Theodore. 70, Holtby. 80, Weeks. 90, Ayers (:lol:).

I will also accept numbers that are inversions of numbers they've previously worn if they are otherwise taken. ie, 53 for Khabibulin in Chicago, because it is retired for Esposito. 92 for Vokoun in Pittsburgh because Fleury wore 29.

I will further indulge numbers with notable stories, such as Carter Hart not wanting to change his issued number because it would disappoint some kids who bought his jersey while he was still in camp.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 6, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ThinkTank posted:

Marty Biron briefly wore 00 as a rookie. He was banned from doing so after it was discovered that the league's crappy stat tracking software couldn't handle it and it caused the program to crash.

Lmao. Didn't know that was the reason.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

What a loving moron.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

yellowcar posted:

cancel

the

dang

season

Yeah. Sorry everyone, this is the right answer. Best hope is a 48 game season starting next winter.

Misanthrope posted:

So 20 years of arguing with you idiots is finally at an end?

I hope not. I'd want to try to reassemble somewhere else.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
gently caress this. I'm not watching a minute of this farce. Full boycott from me. People don't have to to die just so I can watch my dumb idiot game for children.
Also gently caress this. Best case scenario would be a half season starting January of 21.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/W90-iWQkExE

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1284538702170066945

End this farce before someone gets killed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I, a millenial, won't pay for a cable subscription, or a streaming service that will black out games that are otherwise available on said cable subscription in my area.

Until the NHL figures out that cable is for the olds, its :filez: for me.

Once they get with the times, I'll pay, I dunno, $250 a season to get a quality stream of one game a night that I get to choose.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 19, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Knock off Kraken jerseys are starting to show up on dhgate already. Customization too.

I wish I lived in Calgary so I could walk around in Seattle Lucic jersey. Or any other town with a player the city hates/ wants gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

That gum you like is going to come back in style.