Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Ovechkin very likely could end this season with his 3rd highest goal total. At age 34.

The Red Wings could finish this season with half as many points as 30th place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kings finally making that playoff push with 6 wins in a row. :sadpeanut:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The NHL calling out the NBA in their statement is hilariously petty.

I was reading about several movies being delayed because of box office concerns. This all reeks of money rather than safety concerns. I'm sure the game can be played safely. The only issue is that there will not be a paying audience. I wonder how the players feel about this.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It kinda the art vs. commerce debate.

People were looking forward to those movies [and now they are postponed by several months] but the studios want to maximize profits.

Players and fans likely wanted to see the season play out but are now going to have to wait, and possibly see a condensed version eventually.

I'm more upset that they are trying to make it seem like a health and safety issue, when it's really about money.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Aren't many gameday employees at arenas contractors? Like, the arena hires the security company and a vendor company, and the employees work for that company? I worry that the arena/team owners are going to continue paying the contractors, but the contractors won't actually pay their employees since they aren't actually working any hours.

I think it's strange that they point out David Thomson's net worth. As if he's extra evil because he's extra extra rich. Once you hit 8 digits, you should take care of your employees. The "naughty" guys are all equally evil.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 14, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If the season starts up again, they should have the usual playoffs with an extra first round.

Bruins/Blues get a bye, while the rest play each other in a play-in game or a 3-game series.

Next round is 16 teams and playoffs continue like normal.

This can be a league-wide or split by conference.

Red Wings are already eliminated so whatever.

edit: Now that I think about it, since this would be a 5-round tourney and it would already have to be condensed, the round length would have to be 3, 3, 5, 5, 7.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 17, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

CBJSprague24 posted:

And what a way for the NHL to go out with the last game being Ottawa at Los Angeles.
Since the Kings won the last game of the season, I guess that makes them the champs.

Prove me wrong.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Since I'm still holding out hope that there will be a playoff tournament, I put together to simple format.

5 rounds. Each with the following number of games: 3, 3, 5, 5, 7.
Red Wings are already eliminated, so they don't participate.

First round:
Blues and Bruins get a bye until the 2nd round.
Each conferences remaining 14 teams play in the 1st round. Teams are ranking by point percentage with ROW and goal differential as tie-breakers where necessary.
Match-ups are as follows.

pre:
Avalanche/Sharks	Lightning/Senators
Knights/Kings		Capitals/Devils
Stars/Ducks		Flyers/Sabres
Oilers/Blackhawks	Penguins/Canadiens
Predators/Coyotes	Hurricanes/Rangers
Canucks/Wild		Islanders/Panthers
Flames/Jets		Maple Leafs/Blue Jackets
Winner of each series goes on to 2nd round and joins Blues and Bruins to make 8 teams per conference. Seeds are resorted.

I can't see it happening any other way.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I didn't really look too closely at the picture and thought it was just going to be NBCSN/TSN airing a CPU vs CPU game between the 10s Caps and the 80s Oilers. I might actually watch Gretzky vs. Ovie.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I either never realized or complete forgot about Jokinen's post-Panthers travels. 7 teams over 7 seasons, including two stints with the Flames.

Guy only played in one playoff: 6 games in 2009. :-/

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
There's 189 games left in the regular season. They really want to play every game and a full playoff? I guess they can always shorten the off-season some.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Aren't the games all the same now with updated rosters?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kopecky standing up for Carter is great.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Just to turn this back to stupid debates...

I wish the search function worked so I could find a few moments. I remember a discussion of which current players are HoF worthy, and I suggested Frolov and Ryan Smyth from the Kings. Afterwards mennoknight went on a hilarious rant about how most of us don't even realize how few players get in the Hall and what it takes.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
No, that was when Demitra was on the Kings.

Also, I think I was correct about that.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 7, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That definitely never happened. Other than may be pointing out Quick beat him in 2012?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Brown will get in for being the second American Cup-winning captain and the first to do it twice.

Kopitar will get in for the Slovenia thing.

Also both will probably end up with 20-year careers.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Brown will get into the heart, girt, leadership, blah, blah, blah wing of the Hall along with Carbonneau, St. Louis, Kariya, Lindros, Neely etc.

Although I didn't even realize Brown hasn't hit 700 points yet. So eh, may be not.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I didn't say that MSL, Kariya, and Lindros didn't also have talent.

I think this discussion has taken a turn towards the Hockey Is Serious Business and anyone I disagree with is trolling.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's like he's good or something.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Didn't everyone pretty much have a career year on the Vegas expansion team?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Yea. that doesn't make sense. They need to reseed after the first round.

But I liked my system better, anyway.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Each day, I get more and more annoyed that its 24 teams when only Detroit was officially eliminated. Make it a 30-team playoff and give the Wings Lafrenière as consolation.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I imagine (hope) they will have plenty of testing before, during, and after the event and no interaction with the outside world.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Gretzky is kinda lucky to be the only 850+ goal scorer. If circumstances (injuries/stoppages/Europe/era/teammates) were a little different, Jagr, Bossy, Bure, Lemieux would also be up there. May be a Hull or two.

Also, the Canes complaining about facing the Rangers is bullshit. They finished with only 2 more points but 4 less ROW. May be teams 5-12 should have a 5-game series to work stuff like that out as a regular part of the playoffs.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 28, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Best 2 out of 3 games?

No, best 2 out of 3 series!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Finals are going to be Bruins v Blues/Avs anyway, so I don't know why people are up in arms.

The bigger issue is that the Kings won their final 7 games. Why!?!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
They should just replay the 2014 West Finals on repeat since that was the best series in the last 20 years.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I did not know that Lemieux literally translates to "the best."

Now I know.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

fawning deference posted:

Also the whole Mario to Jagr to Crosby
Wasn't the Art Ross almost always won by Mario/Jagr/Crosby/Malkin for a stretch?

Checking....

88 - 01: Lemieux 6 times, Jagr 5 times
07: Crosby
09: Malkin
12: Malkin
14: Crosby

So this current 6-year stretch is the longest without a Penguin winning the Art Ross since Oiler Gretzky in the 80s.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 11, 2020

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I remember some Wings fan on here way back when loved Eriksson as a prospect because he was 6'6 and Swedish. And that was it.

I still can't get over McIlrath. During the draft they were saying he was basically a big, punchy dman and that's basically it.

Kings pulled something similar with Teubert in 2008 and missed out on Myers because of it. Teubert did land Penner who was helpful in 2012 so eh, can't complain too much.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Which player has the highest Cups to Games Played ratio?

Of the top of my head, Colin Fraser: 2 Cups in 359 games.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
You know what extra kinda annoying? The Penguins 2016 and 2017 Cups. We could have had the Sharks and Predators winning, but no, two more Cups for loving Pittsburgh.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I think what teams like the Sabres and Oilers prove is that you can't rebuild with just top draft picks.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The lottery is cancelled and the Kings are awarded the first 5 picks. I know, strange.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The DiPietro contract was actually reasonable. It was the same amount every year until the end - 4.5M until 2020-21. That would have been his age 39 year, which is about when goalies slow down.

So the Islanders were trying to stabilize their goaltending for a decade+ with a practical contract for a fair amount. I can't really blame them for any of that.

DiPietro just poo poo the bed a few years later and that was it.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So... how good is Quinton Byfield?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I like it. Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte is a good start to build around down the middle.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
When did "first overall" become 1OA?

Until I figured it out, I kept thinking you guys were saying ten-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
You shorten the offseason to three months until you are back to normal.

pre:
Season:    January 2021 - August 2021
Offseason: September 2021 - November 2021
Season:    December 2021 - July 2022
Offseason: August 2022 - October 2022
Season:    November 2022 - June 2023
Offseason: July 2023 - September 2023
Season:    October 2024 - May 2025