Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps continue to look mushy. At least Ovi scored.

Never thought I'd be this concerned about a game against the Flyers in March...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Kuznetsov is also very obviously trying a lot harder with Kovalchuk around now, which is the sort of thing I think of when people make fun of players saying they have to work harder. Sometimes it may be blather when they don't really want to say the other team is better than them, but sometimes guys just aren't really giving 100%. Players are humans and motivation is variable, turns out.

Yeah Kuzy has definitely acquired Alex Semin disease. Get lazy during the regular season knowing you can just turn it on in the playoffs and then the playoffs come and you find don't have "it" anymore. He was such a beast in 2018, they really need that version of him.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Todd Reirden freakin’ stinks!

He's really good at smiling ironically when the refs give his team a bad penalty. That's about it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

5 goals for zbad holy poo poo

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pens defense somehow worse than Caps defense. Quite a feat.

Unlike the Caps D which just gives up breakaways all the time, the Pens just kept overextending in the offensive zone and giving odd-man rushes.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 8, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/1237396103517044736

Winnipeg/STL would have 6 goals scored in the whole series.

Is this the year Caps fans finally welcome seeing the Penguins in the first round?

Of course not. Somehow just the right combo of players will get injured to make them good again.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

quote:

D.C. Health Department officials are recommending that “nonessential mass gatherings, including conferences and conventions,” be postponed or canceled in the nation’s capital. The recommendation is in effect through March 31.

“Mass gatherings are defined as events where 1,000 or more people congregate in a specific location,” the city said in a health advisory. “We also recommend that any social, cultural, or entertainment events where large crowds are anticipated be reconsidered by the organizer.”

Officials made the announcement as Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) reported a ninth coronavirus patient in that state, bringing the number of people testing positive for covid-19 in the District, Maryland or Virginia as of Wednesday morning to 23.

Caps host Detroit tomorrow. Haven't heard anything about sportsball matches...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

They might as well just suspend the season. There's no reason to risk it, and playoff games with empty stadiums would be lame.

But I need something to watch from quarantine!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Capitals are Metro division winners for 2019-20. No take-backsies.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Since we are talking about rivalries, I’m gonna stop by here to say:

gently caress Pittsburgh.

This is a man of philosophy.

e: Their dirtbag fans throw bottles into crowds from across the street at D.C. games.

Philly fans seem to always get tickets close to the announcer's booths in D.C., so I feel like I always hear them on broadcasts. That is a strategy I appreciate.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 17, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Watched the Russian Five doc on TV last night. I never get used to all the uncalled hooking and grabbing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

This whole thing is obviously a Russian weapon engineered to let the Capitals remain champs for another year, guaranteed.

Another reason why we should all hate the Caps.

While the Caps are still champions in my mind, the Blues might have something to say about that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

← this was memorable

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

That's a few times now that Ovi's gotten dressed up for some fashion shoot and the suit just does not fit him at all

I imagine it's hard to tailor a suit to wear correctly on that large a hunk of beef.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Winner gets the all-time goal record.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1250793842217025536

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

This quarantine has finally broken me.

Should I buy a video game system to play NHL 20 on? If so, which one?

Haven't owned a video game since Sega Game Gear, for reference.

Don't believe them. If you haven't played a modern NHL game it's worth playing at least one. They're not perfect, but they're hockey. (With Snoop Dogg!)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

NHL Hitz still has some fun in it if we're breaking out the classics. I worked at the company who made it (and 2k Dreamcast) and ea acqui-hired us and some of those guys are on the core NHL team now.

The threes mode in NHL 20 has very strong NHL Hitz vibes. It's pretty fun, if mindless.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just spitballing here, maybe the Jackets system is very kind to goalies and the Panthers system (to the extent there is one) is very mean to goalies.

I'm reminded of a Ken Dryden quote.

quote:

A good “bad team” goalie, numbed by the volume of goals he cannot prevent, can focus on brilliant saves and brilliant games, the only things that make a difference to a poor team. A good “good team” goalie cannot. Allowing few enough goals that he feels every one, he is driven instead by something else—the penetrating hatred of letting in a goal.

I don't mean to say that CBJ is a good team, but plenty of goalies have thrived or at least have been fine in that lack of structure in Florida: Craig Anderson, Lu, Tomas Vokoun, Jose Theodore.

Seems like Bob just isn't a bad team goalie.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I have zero recollection of the Caps signing Leipsic.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

How many of the recent Stanley Cup champions will be Hall of Famers, and how much does winning the Cup impact that?

The Blues have Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and potentially O'Reilly.
The Capitals have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, potentially Carlson, potentially Oshie.
The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, potentially Kessel.
The Blackhawks have Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford, Hossa, potentially Seabrook.
The Kings have Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, possibly Brown, possibly Gaborik.

No way Holtby is a HOFer. Ovechkin definitely, but I think Backstrom would take a while to get in.

e: Really maybe none of those goalies will. Goalies in the HHOF in the last 30 years:

1993: William John "Billy" Smith
2003: Grant Fuhr
2006: Patrick Roy
2011: Ed Belfour
2014: Dominik Hasek
2016: Rogatien "Rogie" Vachon

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 7, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There's maybe 4 people on this list who will make the HOF and 2 of them were Crosby and Ovechkin gimmes.

Other two are... Kane and Malkin?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dr Zaius posted:

Toews is a no-brainer as one of the top 100 players of all-time. But seriously, he'd have a good case considering he's won at every level.

Also that goalie list is sort of missing a guy named Brodeur.

Oh whoops, yeah, he was 2018.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

People rip on Toews, but I think the only other captain to have led their teams to three cups and not be in the HHOF is Crosby who is currently active. He's a first ballot guy despite never being a top ten player in the league.

I mean if Mats Sundin can get in then anything is possible.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

it is easier to bait yall into HOF arguments than it is food or beer arguments and that is really saying something

Baiting implies I wasn't looking for an excuse to argue about hockey in the first place.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Also Patrik Elias should absolutely be in the HOF

co-signed

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Every single member of the 90s and early-00s New Jersey Devils should be banned for life from the sport of Hockey

Elias is not guilty of Scott Stevens' crimes. He is a cutie patootie.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

buh bye

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/1258773185966850054

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

grack posted:

He's not content being a lovely ref, now he's organizing pit bulls to attack children?

that is definitely how I read it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Schremp Howard posted:

Man looking back and I forgot just how much of a trashheap the South East Division was.

Here's a thought exercise: was the junky Southeast division good or bad for the early Ovechkin-era Capitals?

Given that the second round exits to the Rangers/Penguins happened anyway after the switch to the Metro, I'm inclined to say it wasn't much of a factor. But maybe playing in a more competitive division might have forced those early run and gun teams to figure out how to play tight games a little better.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jagr and Seguin in Boston jerseys really dates it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

Jagr spent 2 seasons in New Jersey, i'm sure played several games against the Flyers that I watched or listened to, and I do not recall him being there at all :psyduck:

I was just thinking, "Wasn't he a big part of their Stanley Cup run around then though?"

Kovalchuk. I was thinking of Kovalchuk.

I was a Devils fan growing up and follow the team and I messed that up in my mind. But yeah, Jagr was a leading scorer for them in 2013.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

*2 first line dopers

3 dope first liners

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Downie was an incredible fantasy hockey asset for a couple years there.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

The gods demand more Rangers Caps playoff hockey.

No thank you.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Honestly the only thing they can do is shut down that hub for two weeks and wait it out. I think part of the reason they're so eager to get going is this could potentially take months to wrap up with a couple stoppages.

I imagine it's more to do with a captive (inter)national audience.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe being the rep sucks so they all made the fringe guy do it.

Or the single guys. Can't imagine why else the Caps have Thomas Wilson repping.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mr. Kite posted:

They should just replay the 2014 West Finals on repeat since that was the best series in the last 20 years.

I had a major surgery in 2013 and I will forever remember the day I came off anesthesia and watched a hockey game from my hospital bed that both objectively and subjectively seemed to go on for infinity.

Thought it was Hawks/Kings, but it must have been the first game of the Finals against the Bruins that went to 3OT.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Brodeur's career wins is going to be almost impossible to ever reach? Basically:

1. A goalie needs to be good enough to start in their early-20s and have the ability to stretch their career into their late-30s/early-40s.
2. A goalie needs to be good enough to never be regulated to back-up duty.
3. A goalie needs to be on a good enough team throughout his career to make getting wins easier.
4. A goalie needs to be able to play 65-70 games per year to making hitting the 40+ wins mark easier.

I may be missing some things, but these are really difficult.

Goalie has to still be trotted out as a starter for about four seasons after he's cooked just to pad the stats a little.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

remember hockey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I would welcome the opportunity to watch sportsmans and I don't think that diminishes the seriousness of what else is going on in the world.