Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The Canucks are bad defensively, have been bad defensively all year, and were getting bailed out by a Vezina-calibre season by Markstrom.

What does this month have in store for them, I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Misanthrope posted:

While I would enjoy that incredible asset management, there still plenty of time for any/all team(s) from the wet fart division to go on a extended losing streak and miss the playoffs.

This is basically the only thing keeping me going lately. Whenever I think "the canucks are bad" I have to remember that while that is true, it is also true for everybody else they're competing with. Hence, the playoff hope remains. That and watching Quinn Hughes play hockey.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

bewbies posted:

only two countries have produced both an NHL MVP and a ballon dor winner. assuming draisaitl closes this thing out Germany will be the third

Without knowing all that much about soccer, I'm trying to rack my brain hazarding a guess at the other countries... maybe Sweden (Forsberg/Sedin & Zlatan Ibrahimovich?) and USSR/Russia (Kuch/Ovi/Geno/Fedorov and...?) or maybe Czechoslovakia? (Hasek/Jagr and ...?) Someone help me out here...

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Quinn Hughes is absent from Canucks practice and the Canucks have recalled two d-men from Utica on an emergency basis

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Oilers gonna win the Pacific and the Flames or Canucks will miss the playoffs, baby.

¿porque no los dos?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
It continues to fascinate me how many excellent former Ottawa Senators there are in the league.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/1235807204357181441

jesus christ it's been a month why god

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Brock Boeser (rib injury) participated in full-contact practice today, is apparently really close to returning.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

that affects at least three Sharks home games

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1237208832557887489

itshappening.gif

goldrush fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 10, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Yeah they're definitely gonna suspend the season tomorrow

gently caress all of this.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Has Marchand licked anybody lately?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
All morning skates cancelled

Edit: https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1238101129646530560?s=19

goldrush fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 12, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Gritty did this.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Some vague words from Aquaman:

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/1238868938303229954

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Cartoon Man posted:

The program involves a death match between employees to see who’s worthy of the money.

We all know it's actually just a program where they give out short term loans to affected employees who then have to work it off in the blueberry fields come summer

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Misanthrope posted:

There's now a go fund me page up for the hourly staff of the Flames... because the public should help pay for an arena and the hourly employees in times of need.

It's at $43K out of an original $10k target, a lot of the Flames and their families have donated... kill all billionaires.

This is the poo poo that should be getting top story on Sportscentre during this whole ordeal. Shaming billionaires. But Bell and Rogers wouldn't have that, would they.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 15, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1239707146528477184?s=19

When you're even more of a shitbag than Melnyk... that's bad

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

kalensc posted:

I was there and hooooly shiiiiit.

Given what's happened with other mods and admins in the years since, sba not having a (larger) meltdown due to that series makes him a first-ballot HoFer.

sba was never the same after that series. He descended into bitter, cynical anger literally for years after. it was THAT BAD

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Mike Works posted:

I actually think this is the year the Canucks win the cup, because there'd be a huge fuckin asterisk next to it, and we wouldn't be allowed to go outside to celebrate it. And a bunch of us would die during the run. It'd be pretty fitting.

I'll take it!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Sure it's an ad for some sort of Swedish vitamin water, but these are lean times and this is the only hockey content we're getting these days and we're just gonna have to accept that:

https://twitter.com/_EPettersson/status/1240798602747760641

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Duckman2008 posted:

This is off the top of my head, but I think Gordon Howe was also famous for being able to shoot both righty and lefty.

The curve stick got introduced by Stan Mikita and Bobby Hall just a bit before Esposito, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he used a flat curve.

So you're telling me Phil Esposito was #flatteningthecurve decades before coronavirus? HERO

goldrush fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 21, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Cocaine Bear posted:

Anyone got any funny hockey pics?

See this is why we have covid-19

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Cocaine Bear posted:

Shoulda left the nachos where you found em.

I can't believe you've done this

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

soggybagel posted:

Jesus this is legendary.

Seriously how had I never seen that before

Philly fans are exquisite

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Blues prospect from UM-Duluth wins the Hobey Baker, a 5'9" d-man

https://twitter.com/HobeyBakerAward/status/1249175478902173696

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
So Bill Peters just got hired by Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg in the KHL, on the recommendation of noted bigot Pavel Datsyuk (he of the gay cadaver ankles), and now apparently their captain and leading scorer Nigel Dawes is reportedly going to leave the team because of it (his contract was expiring anyway, but he won't re-sign with them now)

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

LumpyGumby posted:

Me and the girlfriend are moving to Canada and are stuck deciding between the Vancouver area or the Toronto area. What are some good suburbish areas that aren't terribly expensive? Preferably a city that has some sort of hockey, doesn't matter which league, and isn't just completely empty, population-wiae.

We've looked at places Sudbury, Surrey, Abbotsford, Fort St John, etc.

Do you want to live in a suburb of Toronto or Vancouver? Or just in either Ontario/BC in general? I ask because Sudbury is not a suburb of Toronto, and Fort St. John is not a suburb of Vancouver they're both entirely different cities that are very far away from those places. Also are you looking to rent or buy, and what is your price range? Also, what sort of work do you do? Can give much better answers with that info

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Holy poo poo, some truly disgusting comments by Leipsic in that thread. Some next level misogyny there, not to mention the racist stuff.

Though his NHL career is surely over now because of this, it's too bad McDavid, Pearson, Virtanen, etc. won't be able to make him pay in a game

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I feel like the demographic in SAS probably skews away from liking tiktok videos but Kyle Bukauskas honestly knocks this one out of the park and I'll take any sort of HNIC content right now

https://twitter.com/SNkylebukauskas/status/1258122389445128192?s=19

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Has anybody been watching the 87 Canada Cup final replay on TSN this weekend? I've never actually seen the games in full before. Game 2 has been playing today/tonight and it honestly does live up to the hype. Particularly impressed watching Paul Coffey skate. I had also literally never heard of Normand Rochefort before yesterday. Also I miss stand-up goalies. I don't miss obstruction or the two-line pass, though.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 10, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I'm still confused as to what this vote is actually binding upon. My understanding is that right now they're just voting on the play format if they were to return this summer, and not actually on whether or not to return?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The Bruins are obviously going to win the 2020 Cup and Marchand will win the Smythe, it's on-brand awfulness for this year

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Award ballots must be submitted by 5pm EST next Monday

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
So B.C. is angling really hard to convince the NHL to make Vancouver one of the hub cities. And Dr. Bonnie Henry (the provincial health officer) has now approved the plan being proposed. And they've sent the proposal to Trudeau and the Feds.

quote:

VANCOUVER -- B.C. Premier John Horgan says the government and the provincial health officer have approved a proposal for Vancouver to be a hub city for the NHL.

Horgan made the announcement on Wednesday during his weekly media availability.

"As a result, I've written to the prime minister advising him that Vancouver and British Columbia would welcome the NHL as per the plan that was put together by the Vancouver Canucks, the NHL, and of course, public health officials," he said.

Horgan said provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has reviewed the plan, and it involves a "modification" to the quarantine plan that would allow a team to be a family entity or a bubble.

"So those individuals within that organization would stay together in that one hotel. They would travel to Rogers Arena together in private transportation," Horgan said. "Any testing would be the responsibility of the club. No interaction with the public would take place for the 14-day quarantine period."

The premier added that there were concerns that the province had not responded quickly enough to questions around the quarantine period, but Horgan was adamant that the province is not moving away from prioritizing the health of its residents "for one second."

"We're not prepared to put at risk the progress that British Columbians have made to this point in time," he said, adding that the decision now lies with the NHL.

"We love our hockey in British Columbia. We welcome the NHL to come here, and it's up to them to make that choice."

In late May, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced a shortlist of possible hub cities which included Vancouver, but league officials had also said Canada's mandatory quarantine period would rule out games being played here.

The league had previously announced a four-phase plan for a 24-team tournament to award the Stanley Cup, with all games played in arenas in two host cities with no fans in attendance.

Horgan added that Tourism Vancouver has also been involved in discussions, along with the Canucks, and sees many benefits to local industries should hockey return to the city in an extended season with subsequent playoffs.

The Canucks have been "instrumental" in the process, according to Horgan, as they worked with public health, as well as officials within the culture and tourism ministry.

In a statement released Wednesday, Canucks Sports & Entertainment says its conversations with Henry, the ministry of health and the provincial government have been "collaborative and encouraging" and that it's grateful to have their support.

"The health and safety of the public and everyone involved is paramount," it said. "If we are selected by the NHL to act as a hub city, frequent testing and medical protocols would be followed carefully, but we would ensure the event does not take any tests or resources away from the public."

The organization described the approval as an exciting step and said it will continue to collaborate with the league and the province over the next few weeks as the NHL makes its final decisions.

While the premier says he will be watching hockey regardless of where the games are played, he believes B.C. has a lot to offer the NHL, particularly over the summer months.

"If you were bringing your family to North America for the summer months to spend time while you play hockey, I can't think of a better place than British Columbia," he said. "The protocols would have to be followed. Public health is going to monitor this from beginning to end."

Horgan added that both he and Dr. Henry are excited about the proposal and that both of them had written separately to the federal government to "advance that initiative."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-s-nhl-hub-city-plan-gets-approval-from-provincial-health-officer-pm-advised-1.4978531

give me that hockey

goldrush fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 11, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Also Farhan Lalji and TSN1040 are retweeting this dude who is saying Vegas is probably a lock as one of the hubs

https://twitter.com/RobFai/status/1270906810803748865

goldrush fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 11, 2020

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Did Dahlin pan out? I haven't really heard anything about him since he landed in Buffalo.

yeah, he's good

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
pack it up we're done, see you in 2021

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

And then there were 6

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1274456643141619712

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Mogilny still waiting... sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
NHL shocked to discover they have to work around public health protocols, rather than public health protocols work around them