Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

We’ve had drills that focus on speed, some accuracy-centric, now lets work on control.

H1-West
Target KMC Pistol target Ver. 01

Distance: 3 yards
Round count: 10
Par time: 8 seconds
Scoring:
Each hit is +1
Each miss is -1
Each shot over par is -1.
Line breaks count

Draw, 2 shots to 4x2 rectangle
3 shots to 6” circle
1 shot to each 1” circle

Modifiers:
Don't have a holster? Run it as table pick up or if you don't feel comfortable with that, run it from low ready. Just list start position along with your score.
No shot timer? Use an app (surefire app/splits/etc) with a par function or failing that run it manually by using the stopwatch function on your phone. Just list ‘manual start’ if that's the case.

Drill Breakdown:
This drill is ultimately about throttle control; How fast can you shoot while still maintaining acceptable accuracy? Note that other then the draw there is very little firearms manipulation involved meaning that this is almost purely about shooting ability. The draw tests the one of the most critical foundational handgun skills, the ability to achieve proper grip at speed. The gun has to come from somewhere and we might as well get some accountable reps in while we're at it. Next comes the small rectangle. While still generous at 3 yards, an 8 in2 target will stop the average shooter from throwing the pistol in front of their face and start blasting. The transition to the 6" circle is where we test the grip. Most shooters can fire 1, maybe 2 shots well even with a compromised grip but 3 is where things will usually start falling apart. The larger target also gives the shooter a chance to pick up speed and the question of how fast is dependent on how well does the individual know their limits and how well can they understand their gun's 'cadence'. Lastly we have the five 1" circles. These are 'know your limits' targets and should be shot at the speed needed. Some people have trouble speeding up, some people have trouble slowing down and this final stretch is designed to catch the latter.
Par time
Here is the par time is calculated.
1.5 - Draw to rectangle
0.5 - Split
0.5 - Transition to 6" circle
.25 - Split
.25 - Split
1.0 - Transition to 1" circle
Total time = 8 secs.

Things to consider:
Use drills to figure out where you're weak. Consistently dropping the first shot? Try working holster drills and picking up the sights sooner. Shooting super tight groups on the 6" circle? Try picking up speed there. Can't hit a 1" circle to save your life? Work on your fundamental marksmanship. Don't be afraid to isolate each section of this drill to figure out what your limits are for each segment. Improvement is difficult with no data

Hopefully you guys enjoy an analytical approach to drill design and good luck.

Scores:
Semi-auto division

MantisClaw
8/10 G34 w/407c

ilkhan
6/10

FauxhawkSatan
8/10 G17 w/ACRO
8/10 G19 w/507c

Butch Cassidy
8/10 SCCY

Kramjacks
1/10 TM9

infrared35
10/10 Frankenglock 17

Need More Bullets (limited capacity)
Butch Cassidy
8/10 .625 hit factor LCP
8/10 .625 hit factor LCR
0/10 0 hit factor Beretta 21A

MantisClaw fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Glock 34.5 w/Holosun 407c
Score 8/10
Time: 7.74 secs

Dropped one shot on the third 1" circle and somehow managed to put two rounds through the same hole on the 6" circle. I didn't believe it myself until I reviewed the video. I'm overall happy where my accuracy is at, but I need to work on my recoil mitigation.

Full Video Run
https://imgur.com/kyqWhD5

Close up of target
https://imgur.com/b86tvMC

Originally I had this drill at a 10 sec par time but found that to be way too generous upon testing. For you superstars out there, this drill can be accomplish with a similar score out in about 5.5 secs if you're pushing.

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Looks fun, printed some targets and will try it this afternoon.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MantisClaw posted:

Hopefully you guys enjoy an analytically approach to drill design and good luck.

Any modifiers acceptable for us wheelgoons?

Maybe 1 shot to the rectangle, 2 to the circle, and 1 each to the 1st, 3rd, and 5th 1" circles?

(Or I can just run this with my semiautomatic. Which I will try to do anyway.)

(Edit: hit the wrong quote button.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Heading out to shoot it. Round count is 10 yards?

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Heading out to shoot it. Round count is 10 yards?

Just when I think I've proof read something 50 times ...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Best I could do was both in the box, all 3 in the big circle, and 1 in the small circle before runing out of time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Can this be done with a pcc/rifle? I might give it a shot at double or triple the range for pistol.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Neat! Just printed some targets off.

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

I shot 8/10 (missed two circles) in 6.77s with my Glock 17 w/acro and 6.35s with my Glock 19 with holosun 507c. Will post video and photos later

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Best I could do was both in the box, all 3 in the big circle, and 1 in the small circle before runing out of time.

Where were you losing time? What do you think you would practice to make the biggest improvement?

FauxhawkSatan posted:

I shot 8/10 (missed two circles) in 6.77s with my Glock 17 w/acro and 6.35s with my Glock 19 with holosun 507c. Will post video and photos later

Good job, I look forward to the video. What do you think caused you to drop those two shots?

tarlibone posted:

Any modifiers acceptable for us wheelgoons?

Run it as it is the best you can and I'll put revolvers in their own division. If you want to reload on the clock I won't stop you but that's going to be pretty spicy. I did some dry fire testing last night and I was pulling roughly +6s with a speed loader, and +14s for single loading. Someone who actually knows poo poo about shooting revolvers can probably chip in on what a good time is for speed strips.

Slim Pickens posted:

Can this be done with a pcc/rifle? I might give it a shot at double or triple the range for pistol.

Triple distance seems to scale best for long gun vs pistol. You might have trouble making out the 1" circles at 10 yards without magnification so I omitted that modifier from my post. You're welcome to give it a shot though.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

then

Forgot to note the total time but it was 12.xx seconds if memory serves and not adding it all up right the moment.

Score as you will. Unsure about line ticklers and sub-capacity guns.

CPX-3 could have revved it up more on the circle but the short stroke trying to cut corners after my first centerpunch was what primarily did me. Recovered from it in about a quarter second second trigger roll (total split halved to get a read on each press) for a hit so will give myself credit for that.

LCP was primarily being new-to-me, again. Mothership replaced the barrel and POI now seems closer to the tip of the frint sight for a dead center hold versus the old "cover the scary bit with the entire front sight post like driving the nonexistant dot." Shot something else to start confirming that afterward. Increased confidence in my sight registration would have made me less likely to rush after the reload and drop that shot. And pants that actually let me draw a gun would have sped up the first shot by about 1.0-1.3 seconds. These pockets have snug openings. Started hand on the LCP, by the way.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

Score as you will. Unsure about line ticklers and sub-capacity guns.

CPX-3 could have revved it up more on the circle but the short stroke trying to cut corners after my first centerpunch was what primarily did me. Recovered from it in about a quarter second second trigger roll (total split halved to get a read on each press) for a hit so will give myself credit for that.

LCP was primarily being new-to-me, again. Mothership replaced the barrel and POI now seems closer to the tip of the frint sight for a dead center hold versus the old "cover the scary bit with the entire front sight post like driving the nonexistant dot." Shot something else to start confirming that afterward. Increased confidence in my sight registration would have made me less likely to rush after the reload and drop that shot. And pants that actually let me draw a gun would have sped up the first shot by about 1.0-1.3 seconds. These pockets have snug openings. Started hand on the LCP, by the way.
I'm calling the both of those 8/10s. If the grease mark breaks the line it's in. Limited capacity is treated same as revolvers.
Good save on the trigger freeze. That level of subconscious recovery is not something you see in a lot of people.
Out of curiosity what do you find to be your times for a subcompact reload. Are you running pocket loads or is the overall size contributing to the 5 sec reload?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Both hits are in the rectangle with the LCP. One blew out the "KM" and is hard to see in sized photo.

As for subcompact reloads, dunno. Have never timed them. Used to work untimed dry reloads more but have really cut back on that for the last few years. Can say that the LCP is one of the slowest reloads of my autos. Fussy to thread the mag in, really have to slam it to seat, sometimes catch the blade of my strong hand and have to give it a second tap to seat having botched it. Reload was in my jacket slit pocket so that didn't slow me down like clearing a cover garment or slicing my hand into a pants pocket would have.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Long Rifle chambered Ruger LCR in proper pant pocket (Mika round cut holster) and Speed Beez in an unzipped vest pocket. Both loaded with CCI Velocitor. Did not click empty to signal the reload, just went straight to it after the third tiny circle:

And then totally outran my headlights with my Beretta 21A. Pocketed in same pants while loaded 7+1 with Velocitor in a Mika holster and spare magazine in unzipped vest pocket. Like the snub-nose, gamed the reload to in-battery speed reload after the second tiny circle. Bumped the timer trigger while tilting it to read the screen and lost my string when it booped:

LCR: More confidence pushing the gas up close on the big circle could have trimmed time. A good speed strip partial load of two cartridges may have sped the reload if the cylinder shut with both ready to go. Sometimes it only closes with one in proper position so it would have been a gamble.

21A: Got cocky on the big circle and totally outran my headlights on the tiny ones. Was not tracking my sliver of a front sight in the bright sunlight and screwed the pooch. Should pick up a Taurus PT22 PLY, Mika holster, couple spare mags, and see if a DAO trigger plus fatter front sight would run better at speed.

E: If just total points over time sans overtime penalties for hit factor using low-capacity guns then hit factor of a straight 0.625 for the LCR and whopping 0.000 for the Bobcat.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 8, 2020

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Tried this a few times with my TM9. No holster, so I did the pick up from the table method. I forgot to save the split times for my first two runs so I only have the score for the last time, but the first two would have been about the same.

Eight hits +8, two misses -2, five shots over the par time -5= a score of 1.

I'm slow to take the first shot, my transitions are all a little too long. I sped up as I went along, so the transitions between the 1" circles are only slightly too slow. I need to practice getting a faster sight picture.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ooh! Ooh!

I just saw a COVID-themed match in another group and we could do that next month or even this month as a bonus match.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Ooh! Ooh!

I just saw a COVID-themed match in another group and we could do that next month or even this month as a bonus match.

That might be the only kind of match that anyone anywhere can have. Places near me (my state and the neighboring one) are enacting or considering banning any event with 250 or more attendants.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

That might be the only kind of match that anyone anywhere can have. Places near me (my state and the neighboring one) are enacting or considering banning any event with 250 or more attendants.

It's a postal type match like we've been doing here, it's just topically-themed. And you get bonus points if you wear a mask while you shoot it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not seeing Lord Humungus costume masks anywhere. This is some bullshit.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Not seeing Lord Humungus costume masks anywhere. This is some bullshit.

I have a plague doctor mask, which seems appropriate. Might be more challenging, given the limited field of view, but I'm willing to risk it.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh drat I wish I printed this before I went to the range today.

I re-tried my favorite from last year, “modified navy qual” and Jesus Christ is it harder with an AR than a 10/22

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infrared35 posted:

It's a postal type match like we've been doing here, it's just topically-themed. And you get bonus points if you wear a mask while you shoot it.

I used to wear a mask at my indoor range because the ventilation was so bad I was getting elevated blood lead levels from my weekly visits.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Midjack posted:

I used to wear a mask at my indoor range because the ventilation was so bad I was getting elevated blood lead levels from my weekly visits.

I went to a range like that once.

Once.

I don't think they had any ventilation at all. And the crazy thing was, it was a shooting range during the week, and a wedding reception venue on the weekends. With little kids running around and crawling on the floors and everything else that entails.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The ventilation was pretty bad though the mask helped quite a bit and they got much better ventilation a year or so later. I’ve also not been going shooting in general anywhere near as frequently these last several years.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The US is also Really dependent kn the service sector.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Whew. Cold, windy day at the range. I ran a newly-built aftermarket G17 upper on a Gen3 G22 lower with CMC trigger. First rounds through it were Tula, and it did not go well. FTEs galore so I was way over the par time, and I shanked a couple shots.

Second run was with better ammo, and I shot it clean (barely!) in 5.93 seconds. Probably couldn’t do that twice in a row, especially judging by my first run.

https://youtu.be/3KppvKeUiRY

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Congratulations! Excellent score and a good time as well.

Did you feel like you could push the rectangle shots any faster? I think your tempo for the 1" circles is good given that you seem to consistently just at the edges of the scoring area.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MantisClaw posted:

Congratulations! Excellent score and a good time as well.

Did you feel like you could push the rectangle shots any faster? I think your tempo for the 1" circles is good given that you seem to consistently just at the edges of the scoring area.

I probably could have pushed the rectangle shots but not much. I wanted to make sure those were solid hits right off the bat. Just a psychological thing for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Edit: wrong thread, sorry

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I won't get to do this because I didn't do it the first week or two of the month.

I wonder if we'll be able to do an April one.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm still posting for April. YOLO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I want a COVID-19 themed target for April.

Not that I'll likely participate or anything.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Well, the virus seems to have a pretty iconic look. It's a ball, with a bunch a little pointy things, and maybe the pointy things also have balls, so someone could come up with that. Just shoot the little balls on the big ball. The little balls could be those little 3" Shoot-and-see stick-on targets.

Just an idea. Feel free to ignore.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Well, the virus seems to have a pretty iconic look. It's a ball, with a bunch a little pointy things, and maybe the pointy things also have balls, so someone could come up with that. Just shoot the little balls on the big ball. The little balls could be those little 3" Shoot-and-see stick-on targets.

Just an idea. Feel free to ignore.

That’s probably more accessible than the themed match I saw, which required drawing and rapid fire.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

How about a rifle match. Little 1" circles around a large center bullseye, shot at 100 yards because social distancing. 5 rounds in the bullseye, 1 round per little circle. 1 point per circle, divided by center group size.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ThinkFear posted:

How about a rifle match. Little 1" circles around a large center bullseye, shot at 100 yards because social distancing. 5 rounds in the bullseye, 1 round per little circle. 1 point per circle, divided by center group size.

I’d love a rifle match in general. I can’t do any of these pistol ones because my range doesn’t have any targets closer than 25 yards.

That said for April maybe do a BB gun match or something else people can do in their back yard.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’d love a rifle match in general. I can’t do any of these pistol ones because my range doesn’t have any targets closer than 25 yards.

That said for April maybe do a BB gun match or something else people can do in their back yard.

This is a good idea. I have an old pellet rifle I haven't shot in forever. Maybe that and a rimfire category. I'll take April if no one else has a plan.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

QTIYD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hell yeah, I don't own a pellet gun though so I'll probably try to do it with a bow.