Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheKingslayer posted:

Urijah Faber is 0-4 in UFC title shots.

But he was the world champ at one time, if we're counting wec, which we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Florian certainly makes the short list of best without a title.

Lots of the tuf1 crowd does: Sanchez, and Koscheck. Jon Fitch deserves mention too. Chris Lytle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I decided to figure out who the most active UFC champions have been:

The "loss to end?" column counts the fight where the champ lost the belt (and is 0 for fighters who are active, relinquished, or were stripped).

Kinda interesting I guess. That Jones has been so active is probably the best thing about him.

E. If Anderson gets credit for fighting at 205 and vs Lutter he goes to 163.8;

Max goes to 185 for his fight vs Poirier.

Nunes goes to 222 if she gets credit for the Cyborg fight.

e.e. And if we do the same for Matt Hughes's second run (counting non-title fights while champ) he has 5 fights in 757 days, for 151.4 days/fight

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 5, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No blue check. You got had, son.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Omfg we're getting consecutive vacant titles due to weigh in fuckups aren't we

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

Yeah even the obvious history of being juiced to the loving gills and the constant cheating don't make him anything other than a lovable rogue.

The only person who Romero beat up leaving me sad and feeling that it was unfair was Machida.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Macksy posted:

I don't think trying to "get under" Khabib's skin will ever work. He seems very calm and focused and the trash talk didn't help McG beat him.

Counterpoint - Conor's trash talk was obvious and racist, and easy to dismiss, wheras Tony's trash talk is abstract and absurd, and likely to leave Khabib wondering if there was some part of it he doesn't fully understand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1236115826010251265

Tony v Khabib is going to get cancelled due to Coronavirus

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hollandia posted:

One flew over the Cucuy's nest

That has to be the april thread title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why is Brian scuffling with a K-pop dude? Is he trying to build up a media beef to advertise a fight or what? idgi

He took exception to the K-pop dude's translation of a TKZ interview wherein the singer used the word "duck" to describe Ortega withdrawing from their fight. Yep.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The red shirt guy is Angie overkill's buddy and she was tweeting about it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It took Demian Maia 7 years and a 7 fight win streak to get his second title shot, and he did about 10x as much in his fight vs Silva as Romero did on Saturday.

and then he blew it all again by doing nothing

e. imo the only way that Romero is getting another shot at a belt is by being a late replacement vs Jon Jones.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I hadn't realized our favorite adult baby had even left the UFC, but Junior Albini has a win on the regional circuit. :allears:

https://twitter.com/Jolassanda1/status/1238899483288764418?s=19

A win over the dude in a rashguard sends him wayyy up the regional fat guy rankings

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched it and I love how he pulls up his diaper at the end

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/randamma/status/1240001643976024064

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The wrestling discord has a "Fatherdog memorial" room in it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well whatever. Whoever bothers to run the thing should just choose a place and put a link in the thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasn't it Wonderboy and Max Holloway who were trying to organize the Nicest Motherfucker Belt?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

what was yalls journey into this dumb sport?

i vaguely recall having seen an early ufc rebroadcast on one of the mexican channels i got growing up in el paso (dan severn tapped to royce gracie), and i think i rented some event tapes, but what really got me in to mma was watching diego ruin scrubs on TUF. and for that, i will never fully be able to cast aside that tremendously dumb weirdo

Starting the 80s I was into Kung Fu movies, WWE, and Judo. One of my friends had a subscription to Black Belt magazine. Once I started getting my hands on UFC poo poo I was completely and totally hooked. It was really difficult for me to follow during the dark ages, so I just would watch whatever tapes I could rent or buy. I got into following it really closely at around the time of Couture-Sylvia, and by the end of 2008 I was a full-on MMA weirdo doing poo poo like watching distorted Affliction streams to keep up.

TUF was on my radar but TV wasn't my bag, and I was pretty much always at work when it aired.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Let me put this on the record:

gently caress Gilbert Burns

gently caress Belal Muhammad

loving idiots being children at the worst possible time.

Go on

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Salty Affair posted:

Being a Canadian I kept hearing whispers about some fighter named GSP. I had just stopped watching wrestling and my friend was telling me how GSP had lost to Serra but that he would definitely win the rematch so I watched UFC 83 with him and was immediately hooked. This is also why GSP is still my all time favourite mma fighter.

The loudest bar I've ever been in was in a heavily french neighbourhood in Ottawa for GSP-Fitch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So Bryce Mitchell has exposed himself as being not a loveable possum-eating halfwit who happened to rip his scrotum with a power drill, but as literally the dumbest motherfucker who has ever been in the UFC

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/03/ufc-bryce-mitchell-touts-coronavirus-conspiracy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't know if I have a favourite, but Holm's KOs of Rousey and Correira are aesthetically pleasing shin-on-face events

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really like combo striking and subs. Florian-Guida and Mir-Kongo are both :discourse:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh loving yes I needed this.

the only downside is we're never going to get to see Jones have the piss beaten out of him. the upside is that his career is going to end on so many asterickses if the Santos fight and the Reyes fight - gift Ws in different ways - are the last two.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kensei posted:

Can't wait for Dana White to blame this on picograms too

Pulsing criminal record

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wait what, hold the phone

Did Diego Sanchez just liken Jones to notorious serial rapist Bill Cosby?

What's going on there is this a Hannibal Burress moment

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shadow225 posted:

You are in a room with a gun pointed to your head. You get shot if you ascertain the wrong truth.
Do you believe Diego saying that Jones is a rapist or Jones saying that he is not a rapist

I would not be surprised if Jon Jones is a racist but I'd rather take my chances beating the truth out of all-time-great fighter Jon Jones who is 50 lb bigger than me than try to determine the truth value of a Diego Sanchez tweet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1243348612005888000

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7g826RmbYk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was the first one to call cancelled by this pandemic. My original prediction was that Khabib would contract some kind of obscure parasite e.g. trichonosis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CRISPYBABY posted:

I still loving love Jorge Masvidal's quote on sucker punches.

Masvidal puts both hands behind his back and smiles when he's getting ready to sucker punch someone. You can see it in the Leon Roberts video and he's taken that same posture when other guys have started jawing at him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

handsome only face posted:

remember when khabib vs ferguson got cancelled on april fools day lol

Oh right lol I forgot that all of that poo poo happened on April 1 when I wrote up my bit for the decade end. Jesus it just keeps going.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just found this on my desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dana didn't tap. Dana didn't give up.