Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

bolind posted:

Update: he’s actually 83 and guess who’s wife was just picked up in an ambulance by two dudes in full PPE...

I read this and just

Tiger King is crazy and a fun adventure to watch. There was a podcast from a year or two back by Wondery called Joe Exotic. It was a wild ride and you should all listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
whooo boy.

I just heard my boss say "You can't get Covid-19 just by talking to someone" in reference to a question about having to deal with people and helpdesk tickets.
One solution was apparently to have people just meet our helpdesk staff so they don't bring it into our space. This seems equally as dumb to me because then what does the helpdesk guy do? Not come back to the office? Like lol wtf?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Update: he’s actually 83 and guess who’s wife was just picked up in an ambulance by two dudes in full PPE...

Gotta admit, with what you said earlier about him talking to *your* wife I read this as even more of a lovely situation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I feel like you have a lot more to tell us about this.

Well she did mention something about a giant meat grinder that Carole has and that it will come up in the show.....Guess you can put two and two together there :gibs:

Maybe my wife will get some more out of her we'll see.

Darchangel posted:

Do NOT make me feel guilty about this. I like to think I'd look at them again some day, but the reality was about 1/8" of dust.
I need to see if there are digital collections of the car mags available, then I can dump the dead trees that take up an amazing amount of space.
I ditched the Truckin' Minitruckin', an Sport Compact Car mags a couple years ago. Just don't have the space. I'd rather keep my 1000 fantasy and science fiction books.
I did keep some '80s Car & Driver, Road & Track, and misc. magazines, and I'm keeping my vintage Starlogs and a pile of model-building mags.

Don't feel bad, when you start keeping poo poo like that it's borderline hoarding. Years ago my dad asked me if I wanted his giant Motortrend collection from like the 70's, I was like lol no wtf am I gonna do with that. Read it then toss it in the bin.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Stuff like instant oatmeal in packets and pasta that was best by 2018 should I toss that or is it safe? I don’t have bugs or anything here. I normally make fresh breakfast for kids but I am trying to use everything here to minimize getting out for any supplies. We have plenty of food just trying to use what we can and not use what shouldn’t be.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Gotta admit, with what you said earlier about him talking to *your* wife I read this as even more of a lovely situation.

Ah, yeah, after I posted I realized it could be understood in two ways. No, my wife is fine, we’re surprisingly not at each other’s throats even with the lockdown.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

everdave posted:

Stuff like instant oatmeal in packets and pasta that was best by 2018 should I toss that or is it safe? I don’t have bugs or anything here. I normally make fresh breakfast for kids but I am trying to use everything here to minimize getting out for any supplies. We have plenty of food just trying to use what we can and not use what shouldn’t be.

I'm pretty gross but for dry poo poo like that without any contamination I'd easily consume it well past expired

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure we're on the same level with this.

No doubt, sorry if I came across as contrary. I'm constantly annoyed by pictures from my area... the waterfront was packed during the weekend, ice cream shops open, etc. :SMH:

stevobob posted:

I'm pretty gross but for dry poo poo like that without any contamination I'd easily consume it well past expired

"Best By" means nothing. If there's no fat in it, it's good for decades. Pasta, rice, stuff like that is fine. Oatmeal, smell it, if it smells like rancid butter or oil, toss it. Otherwise, to the children it goes!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I shall feed them from the back of the cabinets!!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

3/29 Quarantine Productivity Update:

Taxes. Figured we’d get them done since both of our incomes took a dip last year because we added a dependent and I’m now a SAHD. So we should get the maximum coronabux in a few weeks or whatever. Also getting a fat refund so that’ll give me a cushion for bills since I can’t really work much. Celebrated with some delivery Puerto Rican food from my favorite restaurant.

Asked for some quotes to install a 220v outlet for my welder, electricians are only allowed to install them if it’s for a primary driver electric car, because quarantine I guess. I could say it’s for MY WIFE’S Prius...

How feasible is it to install myself? The main service box is right on the opposite side of the wall from where I want the outlet so the wire run is maybe 3’. I’m good with 12v DC wiring and marine AC systems, but household stuff is more of a mystery to me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

Do NOT make me feel guilty about this. I like to think I'd look at them again some day, but the reality was about 1/8" of dust.
I need to see if there are digital collections of the car mags available, then I can dump the dead trees that take up an amazing amount of space.
I ditched the Truckin' Minitruckin', an Sport Compact Car mags a couple years ago. Just don't have the space. I'd rather keep my 1000 fantasy and science fiction books.
I did keep some '80s Car & Driver, Road & Track, and misc. magazines, and I'm keeping my vintage Starlogs and a pile of model-building mags.
I'll echo Applebees Appetizer on this one, don't feel guilty about throwing out old magazines. When my Grandfather passed away he had 20+ boxes of old magazines dating back to the 50s, each one easily 40-50lb. We tossed out most of them and got it down to four boxes of car magazines. Drug those back to my parents house and went through them looking for articles I was interested in. If the ~200lb we brought back we kept three magazines.

everdave posted:

Probably fine as long as it looks and smells ok. Worst case you eat it and give them the newer stuff. Alternatively kids are tough...

Big Taint posted:

Asked for some quotes to install a 220v outlet for my welder, electricians are only allowed to install them if it’s for a primary driver electric car, because quarantine I guess. I could say it’s for MY WIFE’S Prius...

How feasible is it to install myself? The main service box is right on the opposite side of the wall from where I want the outlet so the wire run is maybe 3’. I’m good with 12v DC wiring and marine AC systems, but household stuff is more of a mystery to me.
Between youtube and online articles you can probably manage it if you're comfortable. My Dad came down and we wired my garage a couple years ago over the course of a week. 220v isn't much different than 120v wiring, just bigger. Don't take additional risk by working with things hot, double check no power and triple check all work.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 30, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Big Taint posted:

If everything is already near where you want it to be, poo poo is easy. There's an electrician thread thataway for more details. But what Nitrospazz said - you're just hooking up wires. If anything home wiring can be easier because you're dealing with solid core wiring that isnt' getting vibrated to death so you can just wire-nut poo poo together instead of having to crimp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

If everything is already near where you want it to be, poo poo is easy. There's an electrician thread thataway for more details. But what Nitrospazz said - you're just hooking up wires. If anything home wiring can be easier because you're dealing with solid core wiring that isnt' getting vibrated to death so you can just wire-nut poo poo together instead of having to crimp.

N-thing the diy-able possibility. I ran a 10 gauge / 30 amp circuit for a garage heater last year. I just got done running an 8 gauge / 40 amp circuit for a double oven a couple weeks ago. Youtuve videos / SA threads / googling and reading on NEC codes and you can absolutely do it yourself. Just take your time and plan out the circuit and the connection to your electrical panel.

On that note, I found some fantastic connections that are way better than wire nuts, but way more expensive... they are like baby monkey fists, but you just run a bolt down with an allen wrench to secure the wire to the coupling. See what I mean here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMQ5BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone is interested, I bought four connectors with three-wire capacity https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KNX45M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when I thought the top oven and bottom oven were wired separately. But I should have read the directions... the top oven is connected to the bottom oven and only the bottom oven is connected in the box. ANYWAY... I have a set of four 3-wire capacity connectors. They cost like $60 delivered, but I'll never use them (I re-bought them in 2-wire capacity just for cleanliness). If anyone can use them, message me.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I’ll do some more research.

Those wire connectors look cool, kinda pricey though. I’ve been using some of these and liking them for small stuff.

Coming from marine wiring, I shudder whenever I see a wire nut. I’m extremely paranoid about insulation/waterproofing everything. House wiring has me very skeptical all the time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A couple things a lot of people don't know, from observation...
All splices (with very very few exceptions, this is not one of them) must be in a drat junction box
All junction boxes must be accessible after the job is finished
If the cable is within 1.25" of the edge of a structural member, you need to nail plate over it
Cables must be secured within 1ft of the boxes - I prefer about 6in
Make sure you use the correct size breaker and wire. I want to say a 40 amp breaker and #8 wire are standard but check your local codes, the install manual for your "car charger", the expected voltage drop based on length of cable, and the temp rating on your cable insulation.

Edit: if the panel is nearby consider running EMT to it instead of pulling cable, makes upgrading easy in the future. And if you have to run stuff through the fire rated wall assembly between the garage and house, be very careful to seal it with ductseal after.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 30, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Taint posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I’ll do some more research.

Those wire connectors look cool, kinda pricey though. I’ve been using some of these and liking them for small stuff.

Coming from marine wiring, I shudder whenever I see a wire nut. I’m extremely paranoid about insulation/waterproofing everything. House wiring has me very skeptical all the time.

ABYC != NEC. Follow the NEC for houses. It's weird for me, coming from the marine/oceanographic side of things, but the code is the code.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I HATE Wagos, back when I was a sparky they acted as fuses before the breaker tripped on multiple occasions...

I wish we used the British style wire connectors, colloquially known as "choc blocks" it's a strip of screw-down terminals, like a simple version of what Meatpimp posted.

Either way, if you're installing a new Welding outlet the only connections you should need to make are the screw-down terminals at the breaker and at the outlet.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sharkytm posted:

Dude, Americans can barely follow the instructions on a pack of Ramen... you think they're going to listen to the government trying to protect them impinge on their freedom? Especially after Cap'n Cheeto undermined the validity of the disease for 2 straight months? :lol: gonna be a bloodbath. It's hitting NYC, WA, CA, and the diverse cities right now, but it's gonna clobber the small communities in a few weeks. Come on: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/kentucky-coronavirus-party-infection/index.html

It's definitely hitting NYC awfully hard right now. I'm pretty skeptical of the numbers as I personally know a bunch of folks who have/had it and weren't able to get tested (including someone in a hospital who was told they have it and weren't going to be tested because it would be a waste of a test). At least FEMA gave us a bunch of refrigerated trucks, i guess. Would have been nice to get ventilators instead though.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I really feel like I'm missing out on a cultural touchstone. My schedule hasn't changed at all over the last few weeks, unless you count scheduling in about seven hours a day wondering which of my coworkers or friends will die because the nation decided to prioritize temporary stock market stability over disaster preparedness.

Just think, after this is all over you have something to look forward to!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those wago lever nuts are actually UL listed for use in residential wiring (IIRC, check your documentation) though most electricians hate them. I'll admit they make me very uncomfortable when used on solid wire. On stranded wire, sure. But I wouldn't use them on a welder drop, you're talking some serious current there. And you should be able to do a single run for the whole circuit with no splices aside from putting the wires in the breaker and outlet anyways.
E: I should have refreshed before replying I guess, but at least I didn't contradict anyone :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

A couple things a lot of people don't know, from observation...
All splices (with very very few exceptions, this is not one of them) must be in a drat junction box
If the cable is within 1.25" of the edge of a structural member, you need to nail plate over it
Cables must be secured within 1ft of the boxes - I prefer about 6in
Make sure you use the correct size breaker and wire. I want to say a 40 amp breaker and #8 wire are standard but check your local codes, the install manual for your "car charger", the expected voltage drop based on length of cable, and the temp rating on your cable insulation.

Edit: if the panel is nearby consider running EMT to it instead of pulling cable, makes upgrading easy in the future. And if you have to run stuff through the fire rated wall assembly between the garage and house, be very careful to seal it with ductseal after.

Added benefit: EMT doubles as the nail plate, yes?

edit:
forgot what I came to post in the first place: I had a hole in my dining room floor earlier (it's currently getting concrete put back in it):

Please note that the right branch of the Y is not actually attached.

And this:

is the bottom of the pipe. And the copped is also soft on the bottom. And they can't tell how far the softness/brokenness goes it goes all the way, so going to have to fade back and punt, spending 4x as much to run new pipe out and around the house.
gently caress me.
I really would have rather bought a car or remodeled the kitchen or something if I had to spend the $$.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 30, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Added benefit: EMT doubles as the nail plate, yes?

Far as I know, yes. I'm not sure EMT would take a direct strike from a 16d in my framing nailgun, but then again if you're blasting poo poo with a framing nailgun you should have looked first. It'll protect against a homeowner with some drywall screws for sure.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

Dry stuff will be fine and from my experience you will smell or see if it isn't OK. I have been doing the same for myself and am amazed by how much stuff I have that is out of date and just how long the food I have is lasting when I actually cook more carefully.
I thought I only had a small amount of food at home, and looking at other peoples cupboards I think i'm right - but I reckon I can probably do 6 weeks off the tinned, dried and frozen stuff I have (which was bought during normal shopping before all this poo poo kicked off) and its only fresh stuff and veggies I am now in need of.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Had a dream last night that Covid was literally a zombie virus and in my dream I was covering an exit so people could leave the room we were in and waited for the nasty zombie to get close enough to me to deliver a side kick to it.

Ended up kicking Mrs. Slidebite right out of bed :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I watched the movie Annihilation lat night then had weird dreams about that what a weird fuckin movie.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

On that note, I found some fantastic connections that are way better than wire nuts, but way more expensive... they are like baby monkey fists, but you just run a bolt down with an allen wrench to secure the wire to the coupling. See what I mean here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMQ5BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I found out when a storm knocked down the light pole in front of my house, the giant rear end connectors that feed those are this style. Looked like it used something like a 1/2" hex wrench though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

Just think, after this is all over you have something to look forward to!
I'm mainly looking forward to seeing my parents again.

I've heard some horror stories out of NYC, and it sounds like Philadelphia is ramping up. Things are about to go crazy, it sounds like.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Stay safe man. The next weeks are going to be one of those things looked back on for years to come.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I spent the weekend finalizing my will, and describing what I want at my funeral. I was doing it anyway, started the rough draft in January, but sheltering in place kind of re-prioritized it. The longer I go without getting the virus, the more paranoid I'm getting, which sucks. I've got my fingers crossed that raising a grade schooler in the last 10 years has made me either immune or strong enough to have a mild case, but who knows?

They're already starting trials on possible vaccines, I'm also holding out hope that they stumble on an old one that works and then fast-track it to kill this thing before summer's over. I know it's not likely but the idea cheers me up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

slidebite posted:

Had a dream last night that Covid was literally a zombie virus and in my dream I was covering an exit so people could leave the room we were in and waited for the nasty zombie to get close enough to me to deliver a side kick to it.

Ugh I act out my dreams a lot too and feel bad when I do stuff like that. I sleep on my back most of the time and my skunk sleeps between my legs. I had a dream a few months ago I was jumping out of bed for some reason and flung her out onto the floor. It woke me up so I picked her up and put her back and she stayed so no harm done I guess but I felt terrible.

Last night I had a covid dream. I read somewhere about someones friend describing being on a ventilator and it being the scariest thing ever not being able to breath when you wanted to. I got pneumonia a couple years ago and in the dream I got that feeling of not being able to take deep breaths and a machine forcing me to do it and it was terrifying and woke me up to a person on the radio describing trying to breathe with a ton of bricks on their chest. I wasnt too worried about catching the virus but now I kinda am because I never want to feel that feeling again. I cant even watch people with COPD or anything like that on TV without thinking about when I had pneumonia and that struggle to breathe being the worst feeling in the world

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Often I have the opposite issue when asleep in that I can't move properly in my dreams. My body is sluggish normally only managing a walk at best and I can never work out why I can't move faster

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I watched the movie Annihilation lat night then had weird dreams about that what a weird fuckin movie.

I'd heard a few people mention a bear scene in that film before watching it myself and yeah.. that bear scene is something.

It was an enjoyable film

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just returned from the grocery store doing a shop for 2 weeks. It's terrifying how many supercentarians decided they were above any protective measures.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Powershift posted:

Just returned from the grocery store doing a shop for 2 weeks. It's terrifying how many supercentarians decided they were above any protective measures.

My local safeway has actually been excellent.
Limiting the number of people with 6 foot spaced lines outside. Pre-sanitized carts and baskets. Spit shields at the register. 6 foot markings at the register.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

Sorry, that poo poo is hilarious.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and went up with my friend and his family to their tiny little cabin up north in the woods. Had to share a small loft sleeping area with my friend and was wondering why I kept waking up with sore body parts until I realized he was punching and kicking every night in his sleep :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Free concerts, interviews, music events, etc., will be updated daily.

https://www.livenation.com/livefromhome

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

So we got some new display coolers at work a few months ago. Self contained instead of on the existing compressor rack (despite the coolers they replaced being on them :iiam:), so they needed more than regular 120v. About a week after they were powered up, someone came in to install some railing around them (like 2-3" off the ground; it's to protect equipment from people ramming into it with carts). They did it overnight. It sounded like a loving shotgun when they drilled through the conduit. And the fuckers didn't tell anybody "hey, the cooler is dead now", they just left after installing the railing, and everyone on overnight is "that's not my problem" when it comes to a cooler going down, so over $10k in product got tossed the next morning.

It took 3 weeks to get the cooler back up. There's a junction box in the floor now (level with the floor). It's accessible, but barely, it's almost under the railing. I give it a couple of months of regular floor care before the cover disappears.

nm posted:

My local safeway has actually been excellent.
Limiting the number of people with 6 foot spaced lines outside. Pre-sanitized carts and baskets. Spit shields at the register. 6 foot markings at the register.

My employer beat Safeway by well over a week on the shields. :colbert: They showed up at my store the day after that article was published, the local Safeway (known as Randall's here) just got them a couple of days ago.

What's mildly annoying, as someone who's using hand sanitizer a lot at work (and the easiest to access source when I'm coming back from the restroom is the checkstands), is they just installed clear plexi on the backside of the checkstands. I've run into it a few times now (twice hitting it on the edge :argh:). They added bright red tape to the edges yesterday...

everdave posted:

The oatmeal may be iffy, smell it first. Pasta is fine forever. Canned stuff is usually good well past the use by date too, so long as the can or jar isn't starting to bulge.

LloydDobler posted:

I spent the weekend finalizing my will, and describing what I want at my funeral. I was doing it anyway, started the rough draft in January, but sheltering in place kind of re-prioritized it. The longer I go without getting the virus, the more paranoid I'm getting, which sucks. I've got my fingers crossed that raising a grade schooler in the last 10 years has made me either immune or strong enough to have a mild case, but who knows?

I'm 41 and still don't have a will. I should probably work on that... especially since I work in an essential business, so I'm still around people 40+ hours a week.

OTOH I don't own jack poo poo aside from an old Subaru, an old PC, a couple of older DSLRs, and some furniture/TV/etc. I have free life and AD&D insurance through work, currently have my mother designated as the beneficiary.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Get a will buddy. If for nothing else, dying without one is a royal pain in the rear end for the kin.. unless you loathe them of course. Ask me about my sister in law passing intestate a few years ago. The assets are the easy parts to deal with, it's the other poo poo!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I almost died right before I turned 20, and amazingly enough I had at a job at the time where one of the benefits was a life insurance policy, and I had left half of the policy to my ex-gf (because of course you can't die as a teenager). You really need to make a will and try to keep your affairs in order, because once I had recovered I realized I would have been so irritated if I'd died and then my ex got a 50k payday out of nowhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I really wish I had thought ahead and created a fake alter ego when I was like 11 so I could list it as my beneficiary and then buy a buttload of life insurance and fake my own death

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Definitely don't have the money to pay someone to make a will, so it'll have to be a DIY bit.

I have zero assets aside from an 18 year old car, a ~10 year old PC, and an even older TV. And a little bit of furniture. My 401k is only in the hundreds at the moment.

MomJeans420 posted:

I almost died right before I turned 20, and amazingly enough I had at a job at the time where one of the benefits was a life insurance policy, and I had left half of the policy to my ex-gf

I have free life insurance at 2x my yearly income (at 38 hrs/week * my hourly * 52) from my employer now, but (now ex) gf isn't listed on it - only my mother.

TBH I'm kinda tempted to put her as 50% on it for now. We're on good terms and doing our best to remain good friends, and she's potentially moving back to our home town soon. We're 6 months apart in age, we both work in "essential businesses", but I have health issues that will make me much more likely to poo poo my life out before she does if one of us drinks the Corona. And she's facing some major expenses if she moves back to our home town. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a fuckload of stupid poo poo. I asked my wife if she was okay with me leaving it to my friends and she's down as long as she doesnt have to sort through it.