Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

When you are selling a car, If someone asks you via phone or email for an outright "how low will you go?" figure I'm normal in thinking 'gently caress this guy' right?
I have both told people to piss off, and also come out with a number higher than the original asking price.

It's not a classic car thing, it's just a general populace thing. People are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't know about the US, but here, you can get dealer/manufacturer contributions to finance deals, and then immediately pay off the finance. In fact, it's legally mandated that any consumer credit agreement can be exited without penalty in the first couple of weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

builds character posted:

If you only drink beer you don't have to worry about dysentery.
Ironically, I bought myself a 12 pack of Corona. Which was about 30% off, because people are idiots.

I usually have enough stuff floating about to last a couple of weeks if I really needed to, but I can't say I'm expecting things to descend into some kind of apocalypse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I'll be stocking up on Bota Boxes. If it all goes down, I don't want to get caught drinking swill beer, I'll get caught drinking box wine.
It's called cardbordeaux

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO ANAL HYGIENE

IT WILL TAKE HOLD OF YOU AND YOU WILL RESENT ITS ABSENCE

(Shamelessly nicked)
It has not taken hold of numerous people on our shop floor, and I definitely resent its absence.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

Tho they're going to be horribly disappointed with the single ply, 1500 sheet rolls that are the worst combination of tracing paper thickness and baking paper poo poo removal ability.
Ah, the John Wayne stuff. It's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take poo poo off anybody

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

One of our maintenance trainees was this person a couple of years back, he was explicitly told he'd be sent home unpaid if he turned up stinking again so he involved the Union, the rep told him he wouldn't represent him unless he had a shower every day and that the company was being quite reasonable. He chose to leave after a couple of days of being sent home.
Yep. You just straight up tell them that they loving stink and need to learn to wash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

I had tickets to fly from Boston to London on Friday morning... I'm definitely not going now. The UK isn't Europe? LOL, sure. The Brits like to think they aren't, but Brexit doesn't stop COVID-19.
I'd rather be here than in the US, and the travel ban doesn't apply to the UK or Ireland as we're not in the Schengen free travel grouping.

You should probably check what your situation is regarding travel insurance and cancellation etc before making a decision.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

Right, because the 2 Grand is worth potentially infecting my immune-compromised mother and being a vector for my community. It's all cancelled, insurance/refund be damned. I'm fortunate that I can take the financial hit (I already paid for it). I'm more concerned about my elderly friends, customers, and the general health of the nation.
Don't be a dick. You were posting regarding the travel ban, and I was pointing out it doesn't apply to the UK.

Also you mentioned Virgin Atlantic, and they have sent out an email saying they'll allow rescheduling of flights to other dates without charge, so it's worth checking if that applies to US-originating bookings as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

technically correct is the best kind of correct! you generally get your money back on US airlines at this point (as credit, not cash, but on DL its very flexible), but there's of course a lot of other cost that may not be refundable.
It's not about being technically correct for dick waving, it's an important distinction with regard to how you're covered for losses - if you cancel on government advice not to travel, you generally do get covered by your insurance, and what Sharky was saying came across like he was cancelling because of the travel ban.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

Sorry, it seemed like you were inferring that it was fine to travel to the UK because there wasn't a ban.
No, I was concerned you were cancelling under the impression you had no choice, and setting yourself up for much greater loss than just $2k if your insurance weren't interested because technically it's still "ok" to travel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

China is apparently claiming that the US planted the virus in China
Hahaha how can anyone ascribe that level of organisation and competence to the current US government?

It'd be like expecting our lot to do a good job of Brexit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

I mean, it was either don't show tomorrow morning at 0700, or cancel. We were on VS158, departing tomorrow. Our Caledonian Sleeper ticket was for Friday night London to Glasgow. No time to do much but cancel.

Virgin turned it into a "non-refundable future travel credit" that has to be used by 30 Sep. Caledonian refunded me in full, no questions asked, and wished me luck and hoped to see me in the future. Avanti West flat out said "No refunds means no refunds, no extenuating circumstances." AirBnB is buried, and I expect to hear from them in the next few days. Hopefully I can convert the VA credit into something that lasts at least until December, which is when the conference is postponed to.
Will they let you book a ticket within the 30th September window, but then move the dates out for an additional fee?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Cyborg bodies will be handed out when required.
Do we get to choose?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ahahaha. So the UK government has advised people to avoid going into work, and work from home instead, and yeah, that's not going to be something that's workable for me, though at least many of my friends are able to do so.

I feel sorry for the one who works in a customer-facing council position though. Now she gets to be exposed to possibly infectious poo poo human beings instead of just the usual kind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So apparently because he's not told businesses to shut down explicitly they won't be able to close and then claim losses with insurers?
You mean exactly what he's done with clubs, pubs, restaurants, hotels, events etc?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is a forum of learned doctors and gun slingers.
Welcome to Goodsprings?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm going to have to still be in work, basically until I'm told not to be, I can't really work from home, but we've been doing what we can to separate everyone out physically, we're splitting ourselves across a new shift pattern with gaps between then so different groups never cross over (I'll now be on an evening shift, but it shouldn't be too bad a change).

The older guys who moaned about me being "ageist" last week for suggesting we see what we can do to keep them away from everyone else appear to have rapidly shut up.

Parents are behaving themselves, parked at home and switching to delivery for groceries etc.

Government have said they will fund up to £2.5k per month for the wages of any person a company needs to furlough in order to bunker down and get through the next few months.

Elviscat posted:

That's what it should be like for everyone, no matter what crazy poo poo happens you collect a paycheck you can live off of.
A lot of people don't or only barely get that even when everything is running completely perfectly

Elviscat posted:

If AI all got stranded on an island together I guarantee we'd all take care of each other and distribute goods equitably, I simply don't understand why modern society would be any different.
We're something of a managed group, though, people who are all at least somewhat reasonable/responsible/intelligent etc.

If you put people from AI on a deserted island with a cross-section of their general local society, I'd give it a week before we start disappearing some of them in the night and blaming it on the smoke monster.

The UK government yesterday said all pubs etc had to close, and asked people to just stay home instead of going out. So of course plenty of people decided this meant they had one last night to go down the pub and have a laast few pints . :jerkbag:

Liquid Communism posted:

It gets faster.
It's like one of those stupid youtube videos.
"Falling Down, only the frame rate goes up 50% every time someone tells you happy birthday"

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 21, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

He's the Florida Man that all the Florida Men and Florida Women voted for, what did you think was going to happen?
Death by misadventure within his first week in office, probably something ridiculous involving alcohol, a jetski, and alligators?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The government just announced a 6 month extension on MOTs that expire after the 30th of March.

Unfortunately they announced it while I was at the garage having my MOT done...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020#keep-your-vehicle-safe-to-drive

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Fucken sweet. Both our cars mots are due in may
Still get it done in summer if you can.

MOT expiry in November means MOT repairs in November.

Engineering it so you're doing the work when it's warm and sunny instead is the best present you can give your shade tree future self.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Have you forgotten I work in a garage and just bring my car in on a saturday and use one of the 20+ ramps we have?
It's honestly not much less annoying. It's still cold and everything under the car is still clarted up with winter crap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

We've been buying rolls of blue shop towels at work rather than fight the hordes. :haw:
That kind of fucks up sewer systems.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I thought that in Australia a Barra fits in anything?
I'm disappointed to not yet have seen someone build a Plymouth Baccaruda Barra-Cuda.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, home gym kit prices have gone loopy with everyone being stuck at home. I'm very glad I've already got all the kit I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I just checked the bylaws and due to an odd situation in the 13th century that was never fixed, fridge corn is 3rd in line to be the king in case Joris dies.
Time for the Highlander approach, then.