Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You've got dibs on the buyback for mine if anyone ever wrecks it.

Also my legs felt real weird this morning from all that free amateur acupuncture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I got the impression that the people who got that quote (the basis for my estimate) were getting fleeced.

Dude, you're sleeping in the F-150? I don't have a guest room right now, because of the aforementioned half my floor being ripped out, but I have tons of camping gear and could have set you up like in a 4 person tent with a heat source you could stretch out in.

If you don't have arrangements next time, give me a few days notice so I can give the roomies a heads up, and I can set you up a guest room (if we're done with the current project) or at least a nice campsite and gear (if we're not) if that's something you're interested in.

I had fun tromping around the 'ol homestead too, and talking about cars, it's a beautiful dream, and has re-inspired me to get to work on my own poo poo out here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And it really hit home just how loving stupid a significant part of the population truly loving is. That should be filled with poo poo tickets. Noooope just panic buy in one day by loving morons

I live 40 miles from where 9 people just died of confirmed COVID-19.

My local grocery store has, uh, slightly less bottled water tand rice then usual, no empty shelves to speak of.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

Costco is having trouble keeping toilet paper in stock (we have shitloads at the not-Costco store I work at), but we can't keep the cheaper bulk water (24+ packs and 5 gallon jugs), hand sanitizer, bleach, rice, or canned black beans on the shelf. Campbell's Chunky soups are pretty much selling out every day; Progresso soups are selling too, but not as well. Doesn't help that we had a store coupon active for Campbell's before this poo poo.

My county sent out an alert saying dozens to hundreds of people are almost certainly infected, just not symptomatic yet (many people commute from here to where the outbreak started).

There are no supply shortages to speak of, although name brand bleach was looking a little thin at Lowe's today.

I picked up 20lbs of rice and ten of lentils to supplement the 7 day freeze dried food stash I have. I'll use it all eventually, water is not a concern since A) it's not gonna go out due to Coronavirus and B) I have a seasonal stream on the property that's currently running, and an old open-bore well I can use as a last resort, my roommate and I are avid backpackers so we have about half a dozen water purification methods at our disposal.

Honestly I'm more trying to get in the right mindset for the first wave of climate change induced famines, or a major earthquake than worried about Coronavirus induced shortages.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Can you boil and eat modern TP?

If you do, you don't even have to wipe when it comes out!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Powershift posted:

I.....

I think that costs extra

If you pay for the upgrade see if they'll throw in some CBT for free, I've heard it does wonders!

If there were ever two communities that needed to get their acronyms straight...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone going "my EV eucks, I'm going back to ICE!" Truly for the commuter EV just blows ICE away, I can't even come close to describing how horrible and janky driving a standard Automatic Transmission vehicle feels compared to the smooth whine of IGBTs increasing in pitch to your desired speed feels. Like, I actively hate driving our work vehicles now because they're so unpleasant compared to my Leaf, and braking? Regenerative braking feels like what engine braking SHOULD be, hydraulic brakes are for scrubs, and using them should be avoided at all cost (a fact EVs will remind you of every time you use your horrible, squealing, underutilized conventional brakes).

And my Leaf's form factor is an AI wet dream, somewhere between large hatch and small wagon, I can fit just about whatever I want into its cavernous interior volume.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, but in 10 years neither of those things will be true.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AU is gonna be an Awesome challenge for carmakers, China's already putting out 10kWh bricks that people are adding to Leafs and poo poo, that, plus I'd imagine Solar-based charging systems will be pretty effective in the Outback.

It's okay to have outliers that EV's not a good fit for, fact is it's loving awesome for 90%+ of commuters (especially once we get laws requiring charging stations at Apartment Complexes and Workplaces, California will almost certainly take the lead on this in the US) once we have the "sit in traffic 2hours eryday" crowd in the fold we'll work on the contractors and what not.

I get it, I have an ICE truck I use for truck stuff,and my GF has an ICE SUV 'cause even though her commute would best be served by an EV, her apartment doesn't have charging, so we take her Rav4 anywhere I can't stretch my Leaf. It's telling that she prefers the Leaf if we can manage the range, it's quieter, comfier, and has seat heaters.

I'm a frothing EV enthusiast now though, after buying a basically brand-new one for $14k, so take my opinion with a hefty grain of salt.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's be fair, with 200 miles of real world range you've solved the vast majority of driving people do. Not 100%, but it's not like gasoline and diesel will suddenly vanish overnight for anyone outside of the norm.

:yeah: this!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

When are you getting an electric dirt bike?

This + charging in not-highway corridors would probably do the trick for me. I assume charging infrastructure will slowly continue building out until it hits some tipping point in the US. I’m curious to see what has to happen for the rolling coal crowd to convert though.

I love my Husky too much to go electric for dirt, I'm due for a road bike upgrade if I get promoted this year, and that might be electric if I can resist the siren song of the Super Duke or SAR.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I really thought i wanted a Bolt after I drove one but i just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a car. Especially when i can have a DD (xB) AND a toy (Miata, Jeep) for a good bit less than one Bolt costs. I just put a deposit down on the xB I've been looking for and after getting a Miata or Wrangler (still going back and forth on that one) I'll still be at under 20k for both cars which isn't bad.

The very low price for newish leafs is what drove me to them, I only paid 14k, and my State doesn't charge sales tax on EVs.

Ferremit posted:

The other one we were talking bout at work is some places we cant ever see EV working and thats agriculture- You might be able to get 5-600hp worth of electric motors into a tractor or combine, but the battery bank to support that is going to be enormous, and if you've got a choice between a tractor that you have to charge for 4hrs every couple of hours, or a machine that you spend 15 mins pumping diesel into once every 8hrs, that time difference in getting your field work done or not could be the difference between a successful year and a total failure.

If we get big on making everything electric, you could do a long 480v or 4160v tether for your combine, with an outlet in each field, and just enough battery to trundle between fields.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

350 for engine noise errrday

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you enjoy treating people like idiot children and teaching them how to bathe, join the military! I've been on both shower and toothbrush watch, where I have to literally watch someone shower/ brush their teeth because several direct orders for them to do so were ineffective.

E ^^^omfg the home made biohazard suits.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ban on gatherings larger than 250 people in several counties in Washington now.

According to my co-workers this is some sort of liberal plot to....???...?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

^^ My wife wants to go to Disneyland, and I've never been so I'd entertain the idea personally.

If this is still around in November, I'm calling a conspiracy theory that it was planted by the US as a way to keep Trump in office.

I don't think this is gonna be good for Donnie, can't wait to see what the market does tomorrow with trade with the EU halted.

Plus if it's still around by November half his voters are going to be dead.

Along with him, Bernie, and Joe.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Very glad we are somehow politicizing this pandemic and deliberately suppressing a Federal effort to, uh, suppress it.

gently caress the government and gently caress the news media, I'm suck of walking in to work every day and hearing about how Inslee's ban on large gatherings, buyup of property, trailers and hotels for homeless to recover from the virus in, and promise of aid to local businesses and employees being affected by Seattle's lockdown are some sort of stupid liberal conspiracy.

P.S. the military is shutting down all travel that isn't mission critical, so I guess all the top brass, and the secretaries appointed by the Trump administration are in on the Liberal Deep State agenda or whatever the gently caress bullshit line we're selling today.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Katie Porter is a goddamned legend.

Dad thinks he has it. He's old and has a heart condition. I'm off to panic now

As long as it's not his lungs, don't worry too much my dude.

Lots of bad poo poo going around, my GF's parents are recovering from Influenza B, don't lose your poo poo unless it's confirmed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

The USA is definitely the country that hides a zombie bite and imperils the entire group in any apocalypse movie.

"What, uh, no, I'm fine?"

*cuts to protagonist having **USA** chained up in basement a la Sean of the Dead*

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's been explained in this thread why it's important by an actual no-poo poo ER doctor, how brain poisoned do you have to be to ignore that?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Any AI goons who are struggling in the Seattle area are welcome to set up a hobo camp in my backyard, rice, lentils and unlimited water will be provided.

Of course one of our "clients" let someone come back from Italy a week ago then attend a house party, and now everyone's having trouble breathing and has fevers, so I'll probably give you the virus.

OTOH, anyone who gets it can pet Rosie.

Come Join Elviscat's 2020 pandemic compound!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

nm posted:

I've been eyeing these for years. How long is the power cord? My bathroom plug is just a bit far away and I rent, so I'm not putting new plugs in my walls.

I don't think the 70+ sub middle school teacher who just died here was a trumper.

With enough extension cords, and little fear of death, it's as long as you want it to be, Home Depot sells 100' extension chords.

(FR, I made my living installing outlets for these at one point, it's only like 2', basically requires a receptacle near the toilet valve)

kastein posted:

Ahahaha holy loving assballs Dow down 3k TODAY? THAT AWESOME TRUMP ECONOMY AW YEAH

and yes before anyone with an orange nose says otherwise, he owns this, he fired his entire pandemic team at the NSC and DHS 2 loving years ago and didn't replace them OR the white house management team that handled them. Good thing we saved a couple million dollars by not paying those people to nip this in the bud though

Jesus, I hope no one who voted against this ridiculous shambolic mess dies. If you voted for it, well you got what you asked for, thoughts and prayers for you.

Whoawhoawhoa, are you saying that massively cutting critical Government agencies can have negative ramifications almost like they were established to provide necessary services for tax paying citizens? What are you, some kinda Commie? The Free Market will provide for 21st century plague victims.

Seriously though, any rational President's Emergency Declaration should have included sweeping Social Services for those with the virus, and those in the Service Industry who are out of work and can't pay their rent, much less for food or medical care. It's a loving embarrassment to our country.

I guess we slashed interest rates so a few people keep their retirement and billionaires can keep most of their ridiculous Smaug-like hordes of money, so that's loving great.

I seriously feel guilty that I have a stable Federal job right now, and wish I could help others through the coming shitstorm, but I don't know how.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I've wanted to buy a gun again for ages but my wife is very scared of them. I'm part of a FB car group and a bunch of loonies have been making posts saying they don't care if they run out of poo poo, they'll just take what they want from DUMBOCRATS.

So yeah, having a boom boom on hand won't be a bad thing. I do wish we'd bought the new front door already.

Just last night I had cause to discharge a firearm at an intruder trying to loot my food stock!

Coyote trying to break into my chicken coop

Y'all out there are stashing TP and panic buying food and ammo, while I, an enlightened intellectual am stockpiling building supplies for use in case I get ordered to stay home.

I reeeeeeally should have made two trips, the mudflaps were scraping during turns, the leaf springs are inverted, steering was... unauthoritative.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My girlfriend's work has a confirmed case, and I'm a 30yo asthmatic smoker, so I'll fill y'all in on how much life support I require in the ICU in about a week!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

KillHour posted:

"I make enough that I don't have to worry about not having enough money and don't want for anything except luxury items" is the standard we should be striving for everybody to get to. We don't want to be rolling out the guillotine for people making $100k/year specifically because we want that to be normal and not a crazy exceptional thing. If we think of it as an exceptional thing, it makes being destitute seem less bad than it is. Have your free money and spend it on fun things - that's what the economy is going to need to keep running while poo poo is going south. We'll pay for it by taxing the billionaires.

But if the poors are living comfortably then who will I look down upon?

(A joke in incredibly poor taste, as I work for the Federal Government, my job has been stripped to its critical functions only, and my time has been cut down to 3 days a week, and I only work the hours necessary, yet my paycheck remains the same, and I'm in the very fortunate group of people who has a year, maybe 18 months in savings, more probably if I cut expenses and liquidated assets)

That being said, if anyone sees people going out of their way to do good work during the pandemic/recession please bring them up/link them so I can give them money.

If anyone in this thread is out of work and needs a small interest free loan to pay bills, please PM me, or e-mail me at username+(the letter x) at yahoo.

IOwnCalculus posted:

$100k/yr is only noteworthy because it sounds like a lot of money because it adds another digit, but when you consider how much it costs to exist in today's society... it's really not. It's not even enough to hit that standard of "enough to not worry if you aren't pissing money away left and right" in expensive cities.

Yeah, Bay Area, Seattle, NYC 100k doesn't even get you a cheap lovely house without pinching every penny possible, NYC at least has rent control programs so non-rich can sometimes afford to live there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

KillHour posted:

That $1k/month is ONLY the mortgage and interest. It does not include property taxes or homeowners insurance. The reason 20% down is the magic number is because any less than that and you have to buy mortgage default insurance, which can easily be $100+/month on top of your mortgage payments. I have a 30 year mortgage on a place I barely put any money down on (mostly closing costs) and paid <170k for. Total payments are in the $1500+ range, once you factor all that other stuff in. Then I'm responsible for maintenance and poo poo. Obviously, this depends heavily on where you live, but the cost of the mortgage is only part of the total cost of owning.

If that house was here, with my tax rates, a $350k house with nothing down would be something like $2500-$3000/month all-in.

Edit:

Looks about right.

gently caress paying PMI.

Or NE US property taxes, I pay like $3000 a year, although I legit wish my broke rear end State would charge more for infrastructure maintenance, and my County would build some more drat schools (worst overcrowding in the State) but our State constitution was written by libertarian assholes, and the all the Navy retirees in the county refuse to pass school bonds 'cause fygm.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you see the military mobilizing at a time like this, it's because they're preparing to ensure everyone is fed/ build hospitals/in general be the largest available supply of bodies for the Federal Government to provide humanitarian aid.

Look at Nuclear Powered aircraft carriers being deployed to hurricane struck regions to provide a mobile command center/source of electricity and clean water, USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy being used as massive floating hospitals, the National Guard is often the first line of defense during disasters.

If I can guarantee one thing it's the absolute devotion of the people that run the US Armed Forces to aiding the citizens of the country they serve (for all their many failings).

Plus DOD's locked us all in a 50 mile radius of our home command, 'cause of Coronavirus lol.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 20, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

rdb posted:

If it wasn’t for hacking up blood, tasting blood, feeling like I went for a run after just taking a shower, paranoia from being sick and locked at home and being denied medical care, and something in the back of my throat I would say fine. The hospitals in Evansville are so overwhelmed they aren’t answering the hotline and their web md service has crashed. I called the local hospital, they answered and said they can’t/won’t test me for covid 19, but if I go to their alternative site I can get a chest x ray.

I don’t think I will go. There is no treatment other than oxygen or ventilator and I don’t need it yet. I have an oxy/actylene rig in the garage. If I get to the point where breathing oxygen helps, I will try to go, but until then nothing will be done. And by then, I think the first wave will have hit the hospitals. Its just a cold and we are expendable anyways.

Please email every local and national news agency you can with your story, if things are this bad people should know, and it could help get additional assistance to your area.

Please be very careful with any homebrew O2 setup, that can be very, very dangerous.

Hope you get well soon!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been using a lot of Berryman's B12 fuel injector on rags for cleaning window tint adhesive recently, and realized I should probably avoid breathing it in. Looked for 3M 7500 half face respirators online, they're pretty much gone in my size. Are people seriously hoarding those? Are they planning on wearing them out in public as they do errands? I have questions

I've found citrus based cleaners to be really effective for removing adhesive residue, without the fumes.

Speaking of, I was laquering a little outdoor table I made, and even though I was outside I started feeling kinda hosed up.

That's when I realized it has Xylene AND acetone in it. Weeee!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's how the WORLD should work. I work fir the military and have a dude "John" he transferred over to my office because his wife had breast cancer. He's only allowed to do a little portion of our job, 7 of his dedicated 8 hours a day are reserved for hood family, as they should be. His wife is now recovering well, and he's due to transfer soon, but on Monday we canceled his move, and told him he better stay home with his loving family, because his wife is still immunocompromised from treatment, and vulnerable. He still collects 100% of his paycheck.

That's what it should be like for everyone, no matter what crazy poo poo happens you collect a paycheck you can live off of.

If AI all got stranded on an island together I guarantee we'd all take care of each other and distribute goods equitably, I simply don't understand why modern society would be any different.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

What are you guys doing to stay sane? Week one of quarantine and I've burned through most of my games and the missus and I are already going stir crazy in the same ~1000 sqft of space with no real outside interaction

I've made more progress on the house than I have in months, went dirt biking all day today, now enjoying the beautiful weather on my deck, so far I've seen a hummingbird fight, two Peregrine Falcons playing right in front of me, and a hummingbird fight. I haven't even touched my backlog of media.

E: going to a drive m-in movie tonight since those are still open! Gonna pretend it's 1969, maybe do some neckin'

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Geoj posted:

Because of poo poo like this on FB:

And that's relatively benign compared with "lets go use our guns to rob all the DUMBOCRATS who aren't armed, we don't need to worry about supplies when we take them by force lololol!" posts going around.

Yeah, looks like I have a new litmus test to see who I need to unfriend on Facebook.

Ah yes, jerking off about looting poo poo from the libs, definitely the hallmark of responsible gun ownership.

Btw, do you think they don't realize the libs in this country own guns too?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tomarse posted:

I appears we are now finally on proper lockdown in the UK.

I have been struggling to understand the food & bog roll panic buyers and stockpilers for the past couple of weeks but I just realised that I now easily have enough DIY supplies/car parts in stock to keep me going for the next 4-8 weeks. Am I as bad as them?

I have been furiously stockpiling building supplies , so I'm in the same boat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH, I think it is 100% safe to say that it's a lot worse than what's being admitted to in the USA.

Yo dog Pres says it's cool, we'll be back to business next week.

Meanwhile I have been ordered not to go to my girlfriend's place, and I have to report every time she comes over. She is in a harder hit county than I am, I'm also literally not allowed to stop in the three worst counties in my State, although I may travel through them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I hope you're okay STR.

Rhyno bought a gun today. A Ruger EC9S at the urging of TFR.

My roomate has that same Ruger, it's a good gun, though I prefer my Sig.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navy in my region has relaxed grooming standards because of the forced closure of barber shops.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The real meat of that bill is the Feds are tacking on 600/week to State unemployment insurance, that's a solid move and going to help a lot of people.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I know we have a bunch of people in here who are more electrically minded than I am, is it cool to plug a kegerator into one of these?

It would be the only thing plugged in there, but that thing just looks kind of janky and I wonder how thick the internal wiring is. I'd just swap it for a normal plug if I lived here, but I'm renting (although if necessary, will swap it out).

That reminds me of another issue in the house, there's an outlet that was getting really hot when my wife had her laptop plugged into it. I told her to stop using it, but I'm assuming that just means there's a loose connection or something like that? I know outlets are supposed to be easy if you make sure to turn off the appropriate circuit breaker, but I never do anything involving mains (line?) power so I haven't been inspired to look at it.

That janky six outlet dealy is screwed into a normal outlet behind it, replace it with a $0.69 faceplate and plug the kegerator away! (I personally would not plug a large load into it).

Yeah, don't use an outlet that gets hot, it's probably a high resistance connection and might well let the smoke out soon. Make your landlord fix it!

E: search "6 outlet adapter" on Lowes.com and go to the 360⁰ view and it'll show you what's up with that situation, it's basically a power strip that screws on in place of a coverplate.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 27, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mine's made by Bel-Ray and costa $10 a quart :smith:

Speaking of, WA closed all dirt bike trails today, seems pretty stupid, as I don't see dirtbiking as a significant vector for Covid.

At least I have 2½ acres, they've closed all the pu lic.parks and trails and quarantined Apartment folk must be going crazy by now.

At least I can chill with my Himmingbird Bros.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 27, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bored and frustrated working on the house, I went to Pandemic Central and bought a bunch of angle iron to fab a boat trailer into a flatbed trailer.

I really love sticking metal together, don't know why, Horror Fraught Vulcan TIG/Stick is still working pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, the consensus here is, if you have COVID symptoms, are not in an at-risk status, and can still function/breathe DO NOT go to the hospital, don't go anywhere, for the love of god do not go to work, stay at home until you feel well, or bad enough you need to go to the hospital.

No need to risk transmission by rushing to the closest ER, especially with how precious PPE is for ER workers right now.