Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

CA takeover is only temporary, cagers live longer :)

Counterpoint:
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Graphics-AIRBAGS-Sticker-Windows/dp/B01ATV3OAC
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tREs_ycck&t=60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

Living in Southern California means I have water storage containers for earthquakes, but being a typical native they're just sitting there empty. I should use this as an opportunity to sanitize them and fill them with water, but I spent last weekend at the beach and a brewery. I did get some more Mountain House meals for storage, but I'll bring those with me when I hang out in the mountains anyway so it's not wasted food (and they stay good for 30 years).

If you only drink beer you don't have to worry about dysentery.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

AU is gonna be an Awesome challenge for carmakers, China's already putting out 10kWh bricks that people are adding to Leafs and poo poo, that, plus I'd imagine Solar-based charging systems will be pretty effective in the Outback.

It's okay to have outliers that EV's not a good fit for, fact is it's loving awesome for 90%+ of commuters (especially once we get laws requiring charging stations at Apartment Complexes and Workplaces, California will almost certainly take the lead on this in the US) once we have the "sit in traffic 2hours eryday" crowd in the fold we'll work on the contractors and what not.

I get it, I have an ICE truck I use for truck stuff,and my GF has an ICE SUV 'cause even though her commute would best be served by an EV, her apartment doesn't have charging, so we take her Rav4 anywhere I can't stretch my Leaf. It's telling that she prefers the Leaf if we can manage the range, it's quieter, comfier, and has seat heaters.

I'm a frothing EV enthusiast now though, after buying a basically brand-new one for $14k, so take my opinion with a hefty grain of salt.

When are you getting an electric dirt bike?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's be fair, with 200 miles of real world range you've solved the vast majority of driving people do. Not 100%, but it's not like gasoline and diesel will suddenly vanish overnight for anyone outside of the norm.

This + charging in not-highway corridors would probably do the trick for me. I assume charging infrastructure will slowly continue building out until it hits some tipping point in the US. I’m curious to see what has to happen for the rolling coal crowd to convert though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

Seconding this, my tax guy sucked and told me I could write off graduate school at $41k/year as a business expense during the same year by wife made a ton of money, so years later I got a huge tax bill from the IRS. Told them there was no way I could pay $25k, ended up paying some lump sum then $500/mo for a few years.

FWIW, statute of limitations for taxes is three or six years, depending on how much you understated your income (a lot, relative to your income = six years).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely agreed that charging solutions for renters / apartment dwellers is a whole different problem.

In NYC, parking garages are putting in chargers but they also charge you an extra $50+/month to park your EV which makes it less worth it. I would guess that this is how most parking garages will end up handling it for monthly parking until EV becomes the vast majority of cars.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

I'm in the worst case scenario mindset pretty much since we saw what happened in China

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-r...VEzYJewB3ZgNlgA

2 million dead Americans.

But, https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sharkytm posted:

Dude, Americans can barely follow the instructions on a pack of Ramen... you think they're going to listen to the government trying to protect them impinge on their freedom? Especially after Cap'n Cheeto undermined the validity of the disease for 2 straight months? :lol: gonna be a bloodbath. It's hitting NYC, WA, CA, and the diverse cities right now, but it's gonna clobber the small communities in a few weeks. Come on: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/kentucky-coronavirus-party-infection/index.html

It's definitely hitting NYC awfully hard right now. I'm pretty skeptical of the numbers as I personally know a bunch of folks who have/had it and weren't able to get tested (including someone in a hospital who was told they have it and weren't going to be tested because it would be a waste of a test). At least FEMA gave us a bunch of refrigerated trucks, i guess. Would have been nice to get ventilators instead though.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I really feel like I'm missing out on a cultural touchstone. My schedule hasn't changed at all over the last few weeks, unless you count scheduling in about seven hours a day wondering which of my coworkers or friends will die because the nation decided to prioritize temporary stock market stability over disaster preparedness.

Just think, after this is all over you have something to look forward to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

Definitely don't have the money to pay someone to make a will, so it'll have to be a DIY bit.

I have zero assets aside from an 18 year old car, a ~10 year old PC, and an even older TV. And a little bit of furniture. My 401k is only in the hundreds at the moment.

I have free life insurance at 2x my yearly income (at 38 hrs/week * my hourly * 52) from my employer now, but (now ex) gf isn't listed on it - only my mother.

TBH I'm kinda tempted to put her as 50% on it for now. We're on good terms and doing our best to remain good friends, and she's potentially moving back to our home town soon. We're 6 months apart in age, we both work in "essential businesses", but I have health issues that will make me much more likely to poo poo my life out before she does if one of us drinks the Corona. And she's facing some major expenses if she moves back to our home town. :smith:

Here is a good explanation of what will happen when you die. I think you’re the fourth scenario.

https://fordbergner.com/dying-without-a-will-in-texas-what-happens/

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm mainly looking forward to seeing my parents again.

I've heard some horror stories out of NYC, and it sounds like Philadelphia is ramping up. Things are about to go crazy, it sounds like.

It is, per the doctors I know, quite bad. Please do everything you can to stay safe.