Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

E: didn't refresh before posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm basically out of food and apparently my city has someone with covid-19 so I'm guessing grocery shopping after work today will be extra extra fun. I'm just going to skip Costco all together.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Galler posted:

I'm basically out of food and apparently my city has someone with covid-19 so I'm guessing grocery shopping after work today will be extra extra fun. I'm just going to skip Costco all together.

False alarm. If anything there were fewer people at Fred Meyer/Kroger than usual and I didn't see anyone panic buying. Maybe people panicked this morning and the shelves got all fixed up by the evening rush.

Kazinsal posted:

I realized last night that I'm down to my last roll of toilet paper.

Not looking forward to this.
I guess having a bidet could be considered disaster prep. At least until the water runs out.

Galler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 4, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tremek posted:

Is it bad that I want to know as little as possible about the person buying my car and to never hear from them again

Seems reasonable to me. I sold my house through a corporate relocation and was 2,000 miles away by the time it was listed for sale. I know, from my realtor, that the buyer was a she and that's literally it. I signed a bunch of documents that allowed the relo company to handle most of the paperwork on my behalf. I don't think I even have a copy of the actual closing documents with the buyers name on it. It was great.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ferremit posted:

True, but it’s still going to be a significant challenge to charge a vehicle in the middle of the Simpson Desert or on the Canning Stock Route, but those are very much an AU or African challenge.

Serious question- are there many areas in the US where your legitimately 400+ miles away from any civilisation?

Elmnt80 posted:

Depends on how you define civilization, but yeah there's quite a few stretches in the western US that would have quite a bit of trouble recharging unless nationwide charging stations are implemented.

I moved from Illinois to Oregon last year and, out of curiosity, I checked if it would be possible do the drive in an EV.
Tesla model 3 long range awd aero 18" (seemed like the best case?) can do it but it would take an extra 5 hours (36 instead of 31) but some of that time could probably be done at a hotel. The charging cost would be half as much as the gas my Fit used ($104 vs around $200)
An I-Pace can make the trip but it would take an extra 18 hours (49 instead of 31) and cost more than twice as much as it did in my Fit ($472 vs around $200)
A Leaf (newer one with the bigger battery) would take an extra 24 hours (55 instead of 31) but it would be cheaper ($153 vs around $200 ignoring the days in a hotel).

I'm not saying that's a normal activity. I was just curious about how it would work with an EV. Also I made the trip in the winter so those numbers are probably optimistic for the EVs.

I think I'm going to end up replacing my Fit with an EV at some point but I'm definitely still going to have a practical ICE vehicle (probably a Tacoma) for a long time.

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the option to work from home but I'm still going into the office and most of my coworkers are doing the same.
I would work from home but I get gently caress all done and don't like it. There's no where in my apartment that I can work without distractions and I don't have space for extra monitors and such to be fully productive. Once I get my house I'm going to set up a home office and see if I can make working from home work.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Costco here, at 1pm on a weekday, was more busy than the day before Thanksgiving. The parking lot is very nearly full and the cart wrangles were very busy keeping carts in front of the doors. I haven't been to Costco in a month so maybe that's the new normal.
Intel switching from 'feel free to work from home' to 'effective immediately, we're recommending you work from home' a few hours ago probably got a lot of people out of the office and into stores about when I was out. Especially since it's Friday afternoon.

The shelves of non perishable goods were less full than normal but everything still seemed available aside from paper products. I couldn't be bothered to go all the way back to the tp area but from a few aisles over it looked pretty empty. I'm only like 2/3rds through the Costco pack I bought a year ago so I'm in no hurry to get more.

I haven't heard of anyone getting shot because of a toilet paper dispute yet. I wonder which state is going to win that race. I assume Texas and Florida are the front runners.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 13, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stay safe goons and wash your drat hands. Stop touching your face!

I trimmed my beard to help with this. Also because I was starting to look a little too homeless but mostly so I would touch my face less.

Rhyno posted:

JUST TOUCH YOUR DICK LIKE A NORMAL GOON

I've got two hands I can multi task.

STR posted:

It's going to be a shitshow once this passes; that's when we're going to start getting all of the other stuff again. They're smart enough to slowly trickle it out, but management thinks it'll take us 2-3 months to fully recover AFTER customers return to normal spending habits.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a period of time where people are working through their giant stockpile of tp, cleaning supplies, and non perishable goods and not buying much. Maybe you'll get a bit of time to catch up.

STR posted:

I'm glad to be working for this company right now, but it's so loving weird when I walk out in the morning, past the huge line of customers waiting to get in, dirty as hell and sweaty, and people are... thanking me for keeping the shelves stocked. I don't know how to respond to people thanking me for just doing a basic job of throwing poo poo on shelves all night. People regularly thank me if I'm still in the store stocking when we open. Feels weird as hell to get thanked for just doing a basic job.

Enjoy it while it lasts I suppose. I'm sure they will forget you exist and go back to being assholes before too long.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Looking at historical rates in the US, it looks like adjustable rate mortgages have been a bit cheaper but the difference is pretty minor. My last mortgage was a 15 year at 2.875% and my new one is a 30 year at 3.375%. At those rates I would rather be locked in.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was trying to get a move scheduled a couple weeks out and found out as of today the moving company I was talking to is temporarily shutting down due to virus concerns. They referred me to another company and I've got a move scheduled Monday. Not the way I had planned to do this but it seems like it's better to rush than wait at the moment.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

One year, on September 1st, my wife and I packed up our things into a NYC based moving company's van that was to cross-country and meet us there in 2 weeks, put our cat, computers & and some small personal things into my 1985 Volvo 240 and drove it to Los Angeles. We arrived here on 9/10/2001.

Thanks to some silly poo poo & the ensuing shutdown/panic, 56 days later our stuff arrived :popeye: On the up side I managed to upgrade our TV since I wasn't waiting for THAT. So good luck!!

Hah, fortunately for me my house is less than 8 miles from my apartment so it should all happen in a couple hours. I did the same sort of move as you last year from Illinois to Oregon with my Fit fully loaded and two cats. Luckily despite a couple blizzards in the way everything arrived on time thanks to the trucker being an old pro.
I was waffling on even hiring movers for this move but I've got a few pieces of furniture that are heavy and awkward along with my tool chest and other garage items (and a short and steep driveway) that I'm fine throwing a couple hundred bucks at the problem. I'm still going to pack and move most of my stuff so I hopefully only spend 2 months looking for all my poo poo instead of another 6 months. The movers can move all the poo poo that's still in boxes from the last move though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was hoping to see it with the pencil chucked up in a drill and the results were better than expected...or, well, faster than expected.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm really interested in if there's going to be a lasting change in people's buying habits for food and such similar to how the great depression affected people.
I've never kept all that much food on hand. I usually go grocery shopping every week at a minimum and get stuff for the next few days plus a few things for the next week or so. I inevitably end up with a bit of a surplus and I like to cook and bake so if needed I could survive pretty well off the contents of my pantry for a few weeks. Now I want to be able to go months without leaving the house.
Whenever it's possible to do so, I plan on buying a Costco sized bag of white rice, a bunch of dried beans, various canned foods, and a couple cases of MREs. I guess I'm inadvertently going to make the earthquake preparation kit I should have made a year ago.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Movers got all the important stuff moved into my house today just in time for the stay at home order (OR). I'm so happy to have all my tools again and space to fully unpack and organize. I'm going to be busy for weeks just unpacking and finishing moving out of my apartment so I might not really notice the quarantine. Although I do need to visit the post office to get access to my mailbox (the subdivision has mail lockers) which is a little concerning.
I've also got a giant pile of house projects whenever moving is complete but I don't know if I'm going to be able to buy materials. I can make many lists and plans though! (and then ignore them as is tradition)

E: my house warming gift to myself was going to be a big pellet smoker (rec tec rt-700) but I think I'm going to be financially responsible and put that on hold until I can feed my friends and coworkers again.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you have to paint more than a wall get a power roller. Holy poo poo do they make the process faster, easier, and better. Also get good paint so you only have to paint once.