Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, it looks the next stockmarket crash is finally beginning. I've personally lost 10% of my investmented money since valentine's day, I can't imagine how bad everyone with real money invested is getting hit. People are trying to play it off like today's stock jump was the end of it, but those were retailers'/wholesalers' stocks; there was a rush on supplies. That kind of thing can't support the entire economy indefinitely

FE: the servers for both my stock apps went down this morning. I think there may be a bit of a rush on the bank, as it were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm going to have to sell my Capri soon, and I have no idea how that'll go. It's a super niche car in not the best condition, but it's so unique that some weirdo like me might snatch it up. Right?

Ether Frenzy posted:

After watching the profiteering/incompetent GOP bozos repeatedly crash the economy and buy up all the now de-valued assets of everyone at the bottom panic-selling every 11 years like clockwork for 40ish years now, I have learned that the trick to being a successful middle-class American is:
Die somewhere between year 6 of a Democratic presidency and year 3 of the subsequent Republican one, and buy as much Vanguard index fund when the market is 'Down' as you can.

I'm looking for that sweet, sweet real estate. I was too young last time this happened, but soon it'll be cheap enough for me to come and take it
Although after doing some research on the trends, starting some serious investing 6-9 months after the big fall seems to be the way to go. That seems to be the sweet spot when these big crashes hit bottom and slowly recover from there on out

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 3, 2020

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't get it myself, I saw someone buy an entire pallet of bottled water and 2 carts of frozen food at Costco and just laughed in amazement at the levels of panic sweeping through people

Rhyno posted:

Look just pray for the virus to go away

Found the Hoosier

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Do people normally have water storage on hand? It's not a bad idea, but I'd be more worried about running out of booze

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Humphreys posted:

OK which Capri are we talking here?

Or

I know in my heart it's the second :(

It's definitely the second. Everyone wants a cheaply put together FWD Miata knockoff that leaked water into the cabin when it was new

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Srs : I know AI is probably the only forum that could just roll on without a moderator but anyone seen Adiabatic lately? Seems to be oddly quiet on fronts. He is okay?

Is he on Facebook or anything else? It's starting to get worrisome

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I once traded a Jeep in that no longer had an AC compressor and they called me and told me I needed to pay for that repair since I didn't mention it when I traded it in. As I had paid the balance in cash I told them I wouldn't be doing that and hung up.

When I traded in my Civic (still miss that car) I told the dude literally everything wrong with it and got $300 over the KBB trade in value because apparently the shop guy thought he could get an amazing deal out of it

Bear in mind, it had one headlight, and the bumper and grille were drift stitched together from at least 3 separate pieces, on top of mechanical issues I told him about

More likely they were just excited to get rid of the Capri and were giving me every deal and sweet talking me the whole time, but I choose to believe what the dealership's shop guy told me

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

History is not going to be kind to white male conservatives and this whole ~era~ of just absolute garbage, one way or another.
As a straight white male that lives in a wealthy conservative area I'm constantly looked at like everyone's brother, son, or grandson. The insane off the deep end poo poo people confide in me because I look like them is loving wild. I don't need talking points or NPR or chem trails to make up my mind. Spend some time with true brain worm away-from-reality dead to rights pieces of poo poo white men on a golf course and you too will go 'holy gently caress burn all this down and start over, please.' Those dudes are terrified of Bernie Sanders

I know this is from last month, but it has really started to prove itself out in my company, to a spooky degree. We have "a girl" (a young latin woman with a bachelor's degree in applied arts) in the office now and it's astounding how much less political the office is now that we have an "other" among our once exclusively white male group

All I can say is thank you designer whose name I keep forgetting, you're a blessing unto us all and I pray that you're never exposed to the awful brain worms that I know are lurking around every corner

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

slothrop posted:

I don’t mean to be condescending, and I’m not preaching because goddam am I bad at names.

I often find myself in a spot where I’m spending a lot of mental/social effort just trying to find out someone’s name instead of engaging with them.

Learn her name and remember it.

I’m a better person when I focus on getting other people’s names in my brain. I can remember more about them when I have both a name and a face to assign that information to. I can remember a lot more when I can actually listen instead of low key freaking out about what their name is.

Again, sorry if I come off as condescending, that’s not my intention. Just sharing some experience

I have legit face blindness, and I'm trying to get better about it, but it's not an easy thing. It's so hard to remember what faces I know, and even harder to remember the name that goes with the face. I meet people that I know all the time
It took me a week to learn the name of my boss, as in the man that I report to every morning and gives me work. I run into our new designer so infrequently that all I can remember is that she has dyed hair and a very unique sounding name that should stick out better in my head

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Coronavirus is 15x as lethal as the flu, so a little apprehension is appropriate, especially in vulnerable populations. Maybe if it's still around in the fall, it's worth worrying about, but now it's a blip on a radar screen lit up like a Christmas tree

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Guys, please be careful with parroting back numbers that you heard without context.

Oh, I'm well aware of how dangerous the seasonal flu is, which is why I said not to worry unless you're vulnerable. I suppose the sarcastic tone didn't come through as well as I thought

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah, there's a clip of Dr.Drew going the gently caress off on the media and he said he has never seen it this bad.

He also made a good point about in the future if there really IS a pandemic threat people aren't going to take it seriously because of the media crying wolf all the time about this kind of poo poo.

It is a big deal on the global scale due to its "high" mortality rates and governments should worry, but individuals? No. Not unless you're already worried about the seasonal flu killing you

I get not trusting the current government's information, but the CDC is telling everyone to chill the gently caress out and just wash your hands like every human being already should

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, it's been an interesting 14 weeks, but I'm back to vaping again, antipsychotics loving suck. I mean, they're great and I feel so much better, but the nicotine withdrawals never stopped, they just ebbed and flowed over the course of 3 months instead. And slowly, I ramped up to taking hundreds of milligrams of caffeine every day, to the point that I was worried about my heart. My meds' doses got adjusted, but the cravings didn't stop and something had to give

At least I'm off the caffeine :confuoot:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Alfa every day

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I wish I could work from home, construction would be so much easier if I never had to go onto a jobsite. At least I'll be able to weld from home if my classes are put on hold :v:

One of our subcontractors got back from Poland last week with a wicked cough that he was kind enough to share with me and I've been running fevers since Saturday and almost threw up from the dizziness yesterday. I can't take time off or go to the doctor because I need the money from working, thanks Uncle Sam!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

rdb posted:

Not wishing death on anyone, I apologize for coming off like an rear end. The information I saw is the death rate climbs dramatically as age increases past 70. Something like 14% of people over the age of 80 who contracted it died. Keep in mind what goes into that statistic, 110k cases mostly in China.

I think thats part of the strategy here in the US. They don’t have test kits for everyone, they will likely be reserved for politicians, healthcare workers, people likely to suffer severe consequences from exposure, and people who have been in contact with someone who has already tested positive. The rest of us young healthy people can pound sand and get back to work.

To be fair, according to what little we actually do know, it shouldn't be worse than the flu for us. If they have to be rationing supplies*, I'm not opposed to falling on that sword and getting the bonus of not being quarantined. I'd prefer not to be sick, but whether I've got one viral respiratory infection or another doesn't mean much to me when I'm sick and there's no effective antiviral treatment for what I've got

*we should not have to ration supplies, this is flat out unacceptable. How in the world would they'd let potentially contagious people walk around with a virus that we have no immunity to and so little solid information about?

Elviscat posted:

Ban on gatherings larger than 250 people in several counties in Washington now.

According to my co-workers this is some sort of liberal plot to....???...?

Stop Trump rallies, of course!

It's the same as every other anti-science conspiracy, from flat earth to antivax. There's an extremely nebulous goal that we can't understand and they can't articulate, but they have exclusive knowledge of how to prove that someone is trying to reach that extremely nebulous goal for unknown reasons

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

How well does an HF rotary hammer work? I feel like that one's a coin toss

I wear a respirator for welding and I had 5 people ask me where I got mine today. It has weird shape so it can fit under the hood, if I can't get new filters for it, I'm going to get so upset. And so much aerosolized metal and flux in my nose

slidebite posted:

If this is still around in November, I'm calling a conspiracy theory that it was planted by the US as a way to keep Trump in office.

If this is still around in November, we should actually get worried about our personal safety instead of just taking precautions to not spread it to vulnerable individuals

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Airlines can't even keep their cabin crews safe from long term health consequences of exposure to minute amounts of exhaust gas being circulated into the cabin, I'm not confident in their ability to scrub for viruses

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

That's a thought. The travel/destination industry is going to be *hurting* in a few months.

Jesus, that seems like bad timing, but I assume it's unavoidable.
God speed and good luck, I guess.

I've already heard talk of bailouts for airlines, oil companies, and cruise ships

Seriously though, good luck to those in vulnerable populations and your at risk loved ones. Hopefully we've caught on fast enough and can slow the spread enough to keep everyone safe

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

China sent nine experts and 31 tons of supplies to Italy to help combat COVID-91. Included in that is plasma from patients that survived, infuse antibodies directly into the new patients. Potential to be a solution to reduce the death toll.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/how-blood-plasma-from-recovered-patients-could-help-treat-coronavirus/

Jesus, they're that desperate for relief. What's next, we start growing antibodies in horses again?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

For better or worse, my school won't cancel classes. The AWS is so old school that we take proctored scantrons, hand in written work books, and are not able to use any computer based anything for our coursework, so at least I'll still be on schedule to be certified :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tomarse posted:

My Saab got collected today and I now have a nice lump 'o' cash and an empty garage :)

(If only I wasn't self employed and already having a quiet period which is about to get even worse)

It was through Carvana, right? They might be giving sellers great deals, but they are gouging buyers. $15,000 for a base model xB is borderline criminal, I don't care how many miles it does or doesn't have. That's only $3k less than MSRP for a used, 5 year old economy car that's both ugly as sin and from a dead brand

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Uh, so have you guys heard about the how monkeys in Thailand are dealing with COVID? Because it is loving wild
https://youtu.be/mVEhLO2daI4

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

I just noticed Everyone is hoarding cleaning supplies and I have a lifetime supply of industrial cleaner concentrates I got from that rv dealer. Literally 5 gallons of cleaner that gets diluted 120:1.

Checkmate, scalpers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I just discovered tiktok and I feel so old

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In other, and more positive news, apparently there's some recent evidence that chloroquine (an antimalarial) shows some benefit. So maybe we'll have something else in our armament other than symptomatic care and possibly remdesivir.

I've been in self quarantine for 2 days because I've got a wicked fever and get tired walking around the house. Are you saying that gin and tonics will help?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

All bars and restaurants are closed in Illinois too. poo poo is getting weird

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

So how does this free gubment mulah work? I'm being told not to come into work for at least a week

E: thank god I kept putting off buying a new car, because I've got a month's worth of bills money saved up and a new car would have cut it into 2 weeks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I mean, there's still a very good chance it doesn't happen. If it does, then it's most likely going to be a token amount which doesn't actually save anybody, but perhaps delays the inevitable?

As for how it actually happens, who knows. At this point, it will probably be issued in return for a signed VBM ballot with Herr Drumpf indicated as the winner.

My state made it so that people who are temporarily laid off are automatically eligible for unemployment insurance, but I don't know if I need paperwork or anything from my work. I've just been told this morning that after I'm done with quarantine, I'm not going to have work, and only one of our crews has any work this week, and the building they're working in is gonna kick them out after today. Apparently we find out a more definitive answer about what's happening to all our employees come Friday, but until then :shrug:

Maksimus54 posted:

Thinking about one of them fancy bidets ya'll talking about

A bidet addon for your toilet is only like $35 at Home Depot.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

5 confirmed cases at my local hospital, hooray!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Talking to a loan officer in an hour about mortgages. Jesus, I haven't been this anxious in so long

I was confident about this meeting until I got told my job was on hold and now it's like I've got to hold up the pretense of stability and fiscal responsibility while also getting constantly whacked in the shins with a hockey stick made of debt and self doubt

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I might be homeowner in the near future if this panic ends soon. Holy poo poo

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What are you guys doing to stay sane? Week one of quarantine and I've burned through most of my games and the missus and I are already going stir crazy in the same ~1000 sqft of space with no real outside interaction

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I guess I can finally finish painting the trim I put up and I've got some woodworking and home improvement projects I've been putting off. My fever has broken, so maybe power tools and detailed painting aren't out of the question anymore

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I can't legally own a gun in Illinois and I think that's a good thing

I wouldn't mind going to a range and plinking every so often though. Guns are cool

E: I love watching Forgotten Weapons

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

State and local Governments say that I shouldn't be working, but my boss called me in tomorrow, so at least I've got a job

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

big dong wanter posted:

One of my american mates just bought a whole bunch of aks and ars because of covid. Not to kill people with but apparently they hold their value and are easy to move despite the economy taking a poo poo, his dad did that in 08. Can someone who lives in seppoland please tell me if it was smart or extremely stupid.

It's not the worst investment I can imagine, but it feels like buying gold or something would be more prudent

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't think that people understand how masks and gloves work and it's getting under my skin, bad

Me having nitrile gloves on doesn't magically stop me from spreading disease, it protects me from disease that might be on surfaces I touch as long as I don't also touch an unprotected portionof skin with the glove. An N95 dust mask doesn't stop me from spreading disease, it stops me from breathing in most things, but I still breathe out a steady stream of airborne droplets through the big loving flap in the front that has no filtering agent on it. At all :bang:

If you're so concerned about me bringing in disease, you wear the PPE, or don't let me in. Right now my very limited mask supply (that cannot be replenished easily) is just being wasted for no reason other than giving some paranoid building manager the false belief that I'm not contaminating his air

freelop posted:

Started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn today and I feel it had taught me many things for surviving this apocalypse.

We are in the robot dinosaur apocalypse right now aren't we?

If so, I need to brush up on my bow skills. I send arrows too high every time, like I'm aiming 15yds behind the target. I should buy a crossbow...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I made the mistake of power gaming H:ZD and had all my weapons and armor maxed out as soon as possible, and so I stopped worrying about taking hits and basically only used bombs or the blast arrows. A second playthrough where I followed the intended progression path was way more fun because I had to use the game mechanics and interact with the ecosystems instead of Max Payne-ing my way through every encounter

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I need a sub-compact for EDC. I have a Sig SP2022 which I ended up getting over the Springfield XD because the slide release of the Sig was easier for my wife to operate.

What are you guys doing to fill time lately? I finally got my Breath of the Wild cartridge back from my co-worker and my kid has started it. He is loving it, I even picked it up and started finishing all the side quests (two left). I am in need of a hair cut. Currently going crazy.

I am still working. We are an insulated group, taking precautions and all. A break would be nice though.

I think it's weird that barbershops aren't except from shutdowns. I completely understand why you wouldn't want so many people in that tiny space, but when so many people are laid off, a haircut is kinda a big deal
I've played enough League, Witcher 3, and Digimon Cyber Sleuth to make me angry at sitting on the couch any longer. I was super into my woodworking projects until I got called back into work and I've been too tired to do anything from trying to readjust to waking up at 5am after 2 weeks of sleeping in

On a related note, Home Depot is a weird place to be right now. The staff has been really, really tense at both the locations I frequent

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

STR posted:

An hour ago.

I'm in a hotel until tomorrow. Just too pissed off to deal with humanity after that. Wore a mask when checking in (and hotel staff is doing the same), along with gloves. Changed gloves before opening the door. Glad I stocked up on HF gloves awhile back. I'm just assuming I'm a carrier at this point and trying to minimize exposure to anybody else.

I'm not so much pissed about her withholding info (okay, I AM pissed about that)... I'm ready to curbstomp puppies over her "geez, I wish I hadn't told you" reaction to me getting pissy.

Is there a bigger :sever: emote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Anphear posted:

DNA/RNA is surprising stable at freezer/fridge/room temperature. Assuming its been purified correctly and there is no DNAse or RNAse, the stuff is viable for ages. I've used DNA and plasmids stocks that my now retired Professor purified during his first Post Doc in the late 70's/early 80's, labeled and dated to prove it. You get your rear end I was careful with those

A Dutch researcher I worked with regularly sent, at room temperature, RNA dissolved in ethanol, via international courier services, with no real degradation experienced. Everyone else sent it on Liquid N2

Some viruses are pretty good at avoiding desiccation, but some bacteria can last for thousands of years. Human Caronavirus 229E can last a surprisingly long some given the correct humidity. 20% viable after 6 days @ 50% Relative humidity at 20° C https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509683/

Edit: just stay home.

DNA is remarkably resilient, even being almost complete despite being tens of thousands of years in some cases. Even freakier is that sometimes the DNA is still mostly viable under ideal preservation conditions

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 26, 2020