Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ryanrs posted:

Never mind the cart. Tell me about that little bandsaw table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yeah, it seems like any concept of "what is negotiation" is long dead.

I think it may just be that the games have changed.

Take, for instance, my search for a couple-year-old midrange SUV this past summer. I struggled for a couple months with failed deals and dealerships not moving an inch when all I wanted was to give them cash and take a car off their lot. I guess my mindset is outdated. I saw this video last night and it all made sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxVyeFmod8

I'm sure the game has changed in other ways that I don't know about, too. :sigh:

In other news, Dax Shepard is awesome and has the best taste in cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7M5mM7BiU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:siren: Guys, we have a problem. :siren:

As you may have noticed, there are two chat threads currently open. This has caused a great disruption and this is exactly what Russia wants. But we're on to their scheme. Did they really think that we wouldn't notice the fact that one thread has a Cycles tag and the other has a Cars tag? It's clear how this will go down. The cycles people must squash the cars people. You know what to do.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I usually have enough stuff floating about to last a couple of weeks if I really needed to, but I can't say I'm expecting things to descend into some kind of apocalypse.

Even if what you're seeing is an overreaction, it's still a reaction. I just keep going back to New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina -- it only took about 3 days without services and utilities to fully devolve into chaos.

We're not nearly as ready for disruption as we think we are.

I'll be stocking up on Bota Boxes. If it all goes down, I don't want to get caught drinking swill beer, I'll get caught drinking box wine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

shy boy from chess club posted:

A friend of mine got a lawyer for SSDI and it took 6 years which sucked but the cool part was the back pay comes all at once

Has anyone gotten "Detroit Axle" brake parts? Holy hell they loving stink so bad and are stinking up my shop wtf

Don't get Detroit Axle anything. It's absolutely the worst Chinesium they can buy and slap their brand on. It's better to order from AliExpress for 2/3 the price and at least get the same part cheaper.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just a reminder of my Avalon with 4 brand new Detroit Axle struts. :laugh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ticketmaster doesn't set the prices, the artists do, Ticketmaster doesn't own the tickets, the artists/and promoter do. This is not a theory, it's how it works.

Imagine any other retail operation selling you their merchandise at cost without any need to cover their overhead, and imagine any other retail operation having the ability to supercede the laws of supply and demand. These are things that do not happen in retail. But music lovers get extra excited about the thing they want to buy so this is the attitude that results.

Nope. I've bought tickets to shows for a long, long, time. There was a fundamental shift in the pricing structure when ticketmaster enlarged its online presence, and the tacking on of "convenience" charges and fees out the rear end just sours me to the whole experience. Neverminding their whole "facilitating a secondary market," which just means that they are profiting multiple times on the same ticket.

Which makes today's ticket buy surprisingly nice. Fairly large "indie" band has a lead singer that's doing a solo tour. Very few stops and one of them is about an hour and a half from me. Checked with my wife and we agree to go. I pick 2 General Admission tickets for $35 and I'm figuring it's going to be $100 or so in total after all the bullshit. Nope, bottom line was $70. ZERO fees, ZERO convenience charge, ZERO taxes... wow. I mean $70 for 2 people to stand and listen to music isn't cheap, but I appreciate it just being a straight price upfront.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Guys, please be careful with parroting back numbers that you heard without context.

Rhyno posted:

At most! But he isn't low balling.

Yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

and I really don't understand how this is a pandemic.

Perhaps you should look up the term "pandemic."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

It is a big deal on the global scale due to its "high" mortality rates and governments should worry, but individuals? No. Not unless you're already worried about the seasonal flu killing you

There are multiple things to consider -- this is a new virus, so nobody has immunity. This is a new virus, so we don't know its proclivity to mutate, or its dormant cycles or... anything.

I'm just sick as gently caress of everybody becoming immunoviral scientists all of a sudden and spouting off statistics they heard on their news outlet of choice like it's some kind of "proof." Everyone needs to chill out and see how it develops. I've said from the start that it's not going to be a plague event, but there will be disruption. It'll really show how our system (and the global system) accounts for stress of the system.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

TP check on the Chat Aisle

meatpimp, sir, reporting in, sir.

TP sitrep: 40 on shelf, Amazon Subscribe and Save order for 2x36 in place for late March delivery. Bungholes in my house are well covered.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Along this discussion thread --

The latest F1 documentary on Netflix is pretty good. A lot of behind the scenes drama in real time that makes that component much more interesting than the lovely racing that's been on the track the last few years.

The thing that sticks out to me, though, is a phrase from one of the main Red Bull guys who said about the first open practice at the beginning of the season "It's where we drop our pants and see what everyone's got."

I have already used that phrase since I heard it last week and I intend to use it frequently.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beach Bum posted:

At the ER for the second time in two weeks, only this time I'm on the stretcher. Suspected appendicitis :suicide:

Edit: appendicitis confirmed, surgery ETA 0400.

Beach Bum posted:

Apparently the nurses station was misinformed, on clear liquids. Just finished chicken broth, lime jello, lemon ice, a popsicle, and apple juice.

Hoping to get out of here today. I can literally see my favorite breakfast joint out the window.

Wow, that was fast. Glad to hear you had a quick resolution.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

A fulfilling weekend, daughter finally picked up this whole "cycling without falling off" business. Also, got a cast iron pan for a tenner when the wife and I couldn't decide which of the thousand equally poo poo looking £30+ non-stick pans to get. It's unbelievable how good this is.

Now browsing 15 year old XC90s on AutoTrader, I mean just how many electrical faults can a car have, really?

I've got a big cast iron pan that I salvaged from a house my brother bought. Haven't worked up the gumption to use it, it seems like it's a while "thing."

XC90s -- avoid the I6 and V8. Turbo 5s are solid. Angle gears are problematic. FWD T5 is stout, but hard to find.

I loved the one we had in the late '00s. If non-dealer canbus equipment was easier to source back then, I still may have it. It was a seriously nice car.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 8, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kivi posted:

That should be easy :v:

Corrected. I never paid attention to the x6 configuration. So noted.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Not popping up for me, but there's a QCS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916846

Welcome back, goatman, it's been a long time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posting won't recognize video link. :( But today had me fondly reminiscing about goatse and our collective trauma.

https://youtu.be/eb7YH-a3oH8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Goatse ain't poo poo, just be glad you didn't get mrhandsed or 1man1jarred

Oh, we've all been down a road that makes goatse look tame, and that's its magic. It was shocking for a minute, then it became part of the collective culture. Now we bump into it years later and feel homestead nostalgia for a simpler time. And that's kinda hosed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So I've been notified that I'm off next week too (spring break this week), and the week after, my college will be doing online classes.

Except I don't have an online class. I don't have a plan for an online class. I think online classes are bullshit and don't accurately provide proper challenges at the college/university level.

And I've been told that "it will be burdensome for you. "

Ummmmm.... I'm a contract employee. I don't really give a poo poo about continuing contracts with this organization and there's no provisions in my contract to change the method of delivery.

This is gonna get weird. And interesting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

Yeah but the difference is we have vaccines and medicine that can drastically reduce flu symptoms and infection rates, we don't really have poo poo for COVID yet.

And it's a new virus that we know nothing about generating immunity, or mutations, or any of that "science" stuff. Plus, the PERCENTAGE of people that have died from COVID is higher than the flu, but you know... Fox Trump talking points.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Good luck, Powershift.

I've been stocking up over the past 3 weeks and I'm ready to just pull the ripcord and take the family underground for a few weeks.

Congress was just briefed that the US has tested 11,000 people IN TOTAL. South Korea is testing that number PER DAY.

We are being directly lied to by our government and, while the virus itself isn't going to cripple us, horrible mismanagement of the situation just may.

I'm not normally reactionary, but this combination of an actual situation needing immediate response, paired with our government's ostrich reply is honestly frightening.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big 10 basketball tournament cancelled. Are they gonna shitcan March Madness entirely?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My kids just got a 3 week Spring Break starting Monday... man, that's when things start going tits-up, when people don't have daycare options and kids out of school and jobs... something has to give.

It's gonna get weird.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I think that may be the strategy here. Don’t test, that way numbers can’t be bad. Repeat “its just a normal cold” or “the flu kills more people” until people believe it. Pretend it never happened/we won. No one can test, so evidence won’t exist otherwise.

This is my thought/fear, also.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ohio is not loving around and is just spitting truth.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I am nearing certainty that the strategy at least in Indiana is to not test and pretend its not spreading.

I am starting to believe that this scenario is country-wide. And looking at the news and sitreps coming out of Italy, they are hosed. And they had some preparation going on. I am seriously concerned.

We're finishing things we need to do by tomorrow morning and my whole family is underground for a while.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You can always find poo poo people. The power shift to make is that most people aren't fully poo poo and... some of this world is actually p. cool.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

It's highly dependent on it being installed correctly. If you're annoyed, it probably wasn't.

And removal difficulty is typically inversely proportional to the quality of the installation.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is gonna be really weird.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

What country are you in? We still aren’t testing people based on symptoms in the US.

:911:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey Powershift: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-kijiji-bans-listings-for-toilet-paper-hand-sanitizer-face-masks-and-other-items-1.4853107

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If this is true, we (the US of goddamned A) are literally the worst country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1879190/us-germany-battle-for-virus-vaccine-surpremacy

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Trump tweeted about Benghazi today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ohio's governor just closed all bars and restaurants in the state, effective at 9:00 tonight. They can still remain open for carryout/delivery only.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

Ohio seems to understand how serious this is. They were the first to admit to having a massively under-reported infection count, too.

It's a Republican governor, and I'm inclined to disagree with his moves, but credit where it's due -- he's listened to the science and made strong, difficult calls that needed to be made. I'm absolutely on his side right now.

rdb posted:

So many people live paycheck to paycheck and this forces them to loose their paycheck. And stores are empty, not that they have money.

And at just about the same time he announced the restaurant and bar closure, he announced that he was signing an executive order giving people that are out of work because of coronavirus unemployment. Another strong, good move.

Good luck on this week, rdb. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

How are y'all gonna spend your free government money?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh, so it's like The Happening, but with a disease.
Nature truly is amazing.

The earth knows it needs to protect itself from boomers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

My what?
Tax refund?

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/White-House-coronavirus-plan-aims-to-send-2-000-15140061.php

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And $2k in pocket isn't but the tiniest fraction of what I've lost in the market, so gently caress this country's denial of a problem until it's getting punched in the face with it.

rdb posted:

I am torn on that. Every time I see a trumper post disinformation it makes me wonder if the real virus is COVID or the disinformation. I just want to say “Its a Democratic hoax, fake news, testing not required because you had it in November, its safe to go out if you gargle salt water, flu kills more people, and the real disease is people skipping church on Sunday. Go repost this before Facebook takes it down because its the truth and media is evil.” Maybe the results will open some eyes.

But as it stands, local media has lacked the balls to report on the complete absence of testing in our area because they were afraid to offend these people. Results will be similar.

I follow some wacko Right-wingers on facebook and they are full-on deniers. Quoting Swine Flu numbers and saying that this is nothing worse than the flu. Bottom line is that in 6 weeks, it'll be clear who was correct. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what you've lost in the market is paper money

getting cash in to the hands people who have lost jobs or will get evicted or otherwise materially harmed is a lot more important than a short-term decrease in the paper value of your equities holdings

I know, and I wasn't bitching (about anything other than the Trump administration itself). Stocks are long-term things and all. What I was intending to say is that a short-term :10bux: doesn't do anything to alleviate the damaged caused in the last month. It'll help people in the short term, I just hope that's not translated into "Trump helped us when we needed it," when it's demonstrable that Trump amplified the damage.

In other news, the DJIA is lower now than when the orange one took office. :toot: