Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I list a lot of cars, and if ANYONE asks what I will take for it or makes an offer without seeing it I either ignore it, or tell them they are welcome to come look at it and make an offer. Why would anyone but someone wasting your time make an offer without ever seeing the car?

Just be prepared to deal with idiots and ignore them. Or block them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I tried in vain to make a deal to buy a new car cash 2 years ago no one wanted my money. Hyundai sold me an Elantra for $8500 off sticker if I would finance with them. I made 3 payments so they would get credit and paid it off. That was more important to them than cash.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Don't know about the US, but here, you can get dealer/manufacturer contributions to finance deals, and then immediately pay off the finance. In fact, it's legally mandated that any consumer credit agreement can be exited without penalty in the first couple of weeks.

I just asked them how many payments I could make and they get the full benefit/kickback whatever. Finance guy said 3 to be safe so that is what I did. They treated me kindly and gave me a great deal and I saw no reason not to return the favor.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We got hit with a F3 or F4 tornado last night came through Nashville then hit my town.

My house and family is fine, cars at my house are fine.

Main area of destruction is where I have RV storage and I have a fire truck I sold (which should be covered under full coverage by the buyer they informed me they did that after I demanded it for keeping it til picked up) and my Hi Ace camper which has no comprehensive. BUT, reports from the Sheriff says that the buildings and RV covered area is standing that is all we know. Will probably be days before I can go check, that area is a total no-go by anyone but emergency services. It is just cars and we already have 14 confirmed dead and that will certainly rise during the day...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

Is it bad that I want to know as little as possible about the person buying my car and to never hear from them again

No that is what we all usually hope for, but the kid I sold that little Honda Today to follows me on IG and he is in love with that thing. Makes me happy to see.

And the young guy I recently sold a Skyline to messaged me raving about it and apologizing over and over for some stuff (he insisted on paying through paypal and it cost us both a bunch in fees and he used a shipper he found and both would have been easier if he had just trusted me and used my methods).

So it is nice to hear positive, but YES ideally you get the money and then they fall off the face of the earth

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My community was recently ROCKED by a massive tornado and there is absolutely nothing going on at grocery stores.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Valencia was a magical place when I was there 2007. Hope to go back one day but it won’t be the same

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That sucks. Definitely call asap, they will absolutely work with you. I'm paying $250 a month and the end is finally in sight.

I am paying the state $350 a month on top of my regular sales tax bc I messed up some credit card reporting a few years ago and got hit with big rear end fines and they calculated missing funds as ridiculous amounts like where I would be making $100k more a year than I was making. I have like 2 more years of this crap to go...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I used to sell a lot of poo poo on Amazon and first I was taxed on the full retail value of what I had sold (close to $120K) then we got the corrected amount which was 1/3 that and then my actual take home that was 60% of that.

Then it happened again the next year so I got audited and had to go to court over all this poo poo. I ended up owing far more than I should have but they settled and allowed me to make tiny payments since I didn't make much money. Once I got the current job I started paying that poo poo off fast just to be done with it.

Yeah my screw up of under-reporting which should have cost me about $2500 ended up as $12k, with threats of them padlocking my business it was just too much, I was going through a divorce. If I knew the right person or had a lawyer or something I should have not had to be on this payment plan but it is what it is. Just shows the little guy gets SCREWED trying to do the right thing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

They were pretty willing to work with mebut it was nearly impossible to get Amazon to admit they'd misreported my earnings. I quit selling online through Amazon or Ebay, just too much trouble.

Well I could have done a literal mountain of paperwork to make something called an "offer in kind" and finally got a sympathetic person, but I was going through the divorce and I had "won", and this would have involved them just absolutely going through every bank record I ever had and I just did not want to mess anything up. I am just eating the loss. Sucks. But if I had caught it sooner and my ex hadn't thrown away so much of my mail constantly I might have known and been able to avoid these huge fines. The ship has sailed nothing I can do about it now...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

I tried, but she doesn't want to go more than 3 model years old (at the most), and doesn't want to spend over $25k (what she was approved for by her credit union - she works part time as a 1099, half of her income is SSI, and she filed bankruptcy recently enough that it's still on her credit). A later model LS definitely isn't within her budget. A GS might be, but it'd probably have to be higher mileage. And still won't be as roomy as what she's used to.

She bought her current car brand new in 2002 (up until then she never kept a car more than 2-3 years), so her pricing perspective is a bit... skewed. Just like my ex thinks you can still rent a 3 bedroom house for $1000/mo, when we pay more than that for a 1 bedroom apartment. She's lived in this apartment complex for over a decade, housing prices here have essentially tripled since then.

Mom also asked me about a late model Denali Yukon, I almost threw up from laughing so hard. Then I pulled up how much a brand new Denali Yukon goes for (almost $70k without anything added), and she just went silent when I told her how much they cost. Her brother/my uncle just bought one for his wife... after mom spending nearly 20 years in a high end, fully loaded (for 2003) Toyota, I don't think she'd be happy with even a Denali Yukon, the interior fit and finish wouldn't compare. Her 18 year old (2003 purchased in 2002) Toyota started developing interior rattles about 2 years ago, and it's absolutely because it needs motor mounts, not because of anything broken inside.

I get she wants an Avalon/Toyota and they are fantastic, but these days besides Toyotas no one wants sedans. I hate to always bring it up but if she is approved and you could go in busting balls you could probably walk out with a brand new Elantra for 14-17k financed and the warranty is rock solid. I have a brand new rental Rogue AWD top of the line remote start, heated seats etc... and I liked my Hyundai better in all ways. The camera was better the seats were better the menus were better and it got a poo poo ton better gas mileage (and was pretty quick too)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to break up death chat but I've got another one up on BAT just went live...ya'll bid!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-honda-acty/

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's a great color, would make a nice replacement for the F100

Yes why I bought it in the first place, I personally love the color combo and it is kind of rare, certainly way less common than the white ones.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

I'd love a little Kei truck. Preferebly with a hydraulic dump bed :getin:

Well they definitely make them...but could I interest you in one with a bucket attached to it? The only one I have ever seen is mine and on the boat! Ha.

There have been some very nice Kei dumps up lately at auction in Japan but the nice, nice ones have gone for BIG money relatively. Definitely something people are looking for.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Me and my little girls are headed to the beach for the next 8 days in a rental Rogue! Man Nissan infotainment SUCKS

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Legit asking are there battery powered or rechargeable bidets? No outlets by my 1960 house poop holes and it was nearly impossible to get an electrician out a few months ago now half the town was destroyed by a tornado it is JUST NOT HAPPENING. I’ve learned enough now to install outlets but I can’t cut open the walls and drop wire or let me say I’m not going to. I can replace outlets and switches now with confidence.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My relatively small town outside of Nashville has drive thru testing, but no one should be tested IMO unless you are having symptoms. You should stay home or limit where you go. Our city would lock most things down but our government charter doesn’t allow it city leaders hoping Governor calls for it.

In some AI related chat I am amassing lots of sets of wheels and tires. Will it hurt them to stack them on top of each other? Like 8 wheels/tires in one stack? Not really concerned with best way to preserve tires just storing wheel sets (extras/stock sets from my Japanese imports)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well the restaurant bars are full tonight all my lady bartender friends are urging everyone out for one last hurrah before the shutdown. And it’s my birthday and I’d love to be out but come on people.

I am no gun nut, didn’t take one with me out of town, but got home and grabbed my 45 (dropped kids at their moms after they have been with me 11 days for a day or two). Didn’t get my gun bc of this but bc I was heading down through destruction to check on some vehicles and there has been some looting. Well I come out of the backyard and only thing in my driveway is the acty waiting for new owner to pick up and some beach stuff I unloaded and a person who does not live in my neighborhood halfway to the acty in the middle of yard. I asked if I could help him and he starts mumbling then is asking if truck is for sale. I can promise you he was not there for the truck.

He left quickly after i told him robing was for sale and to haven nice s ya, and I felt odd this was a rare time I’d have a gun on me in my yard. Made sure to turn cameras back on before leaving. After checking on vehicles (sheriff and police were located every few blocks in the tornado zone) I did stop in Walmart for a Case of water and some cokes. All sold out of 556 and 223 as I knew they would be. Will look online but heard its bad. I do have 250-300 rounds of 45 and 3-400 22LR.

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 23, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I talk to someone in Japan probably 5 days a week and in some good news Japan itself is returning to normal and schools will start normally in a April. Now olympics with people from all over the globe coming I don’t see how they will make that happen.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Pleasantly surprised at work today. The building is locked and I was expecting tons of calls asking if I was open. Only one so far and it was a nice lady looking for a laptop for her husband while he is at home out of the office. I explained what I had on the shelf and the prices, told her I wasn't allowing anyone in but we could do an exchange at the front door and the laptop would have my full warranty and they could exchange after this was all over. Totally understood and we made a nice clean transaction.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I posted in the AC thread but after chasing fixing the AC on my Celsior to get it ready for sale and wasting a whole lot doing it myself with an old guy and venting $150 worth of R12 to Jesus above I threw it to my little local shop who is desperate for work. They had one last stash of R12, found a bad O-Ring and are confident we have it fixed for $400.

Stay tuned! In about 10 days on this boat I have a Daihatsu Kei Bucket truck coming in, Mazda Fire Truck, Diesel Nissan Camper with wild murals on outside and vintage motif inside, 1984 Acty Street Van with factory AC and 4wd, and a 4wd Pajero Mini.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

How did you do with the little blue truck? Seemed to go for way too cheap, was it timing with all of the poo poo hitting the fan and taking focus away from toy car buying?

I made money, about $800+ but I just think worst day to end. I could not have asked for a better BAT auction experience this time, just super positive comments, tons of watchers, tons of bids from different people. It ended on the day this poo poo got real is the problem and I think people just were focused on other things. I am not upset about the outcome but I think it should have sold for $5700. It is a great little truck I have been driving it every day this week (buyer is deciding to pick up or have shipped, he has paid already).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The State of TN so far still wants my taxes on my payment plan and are not being nice about it. Like put that poo poo on pause for 3 months or something.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am the least qualified electrical dude here’s but if you can turn power off for sure pull that bitch out both places and put in a new $1 outlet. You can always go back. Get a $3 non contact voltage tester at HF to be sure. I learned all this from people here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Stuff like instant oatmeal in packets and pasta that was best by 2018 should I toss that or is it safe? I don’t have bugs or anything here. I normally make fresh breakfast for kids but I am trying to use everything here to minimize getting out for any supplies. We have plenty of food just trying to use what we can and not use what shouldn’t be.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I shall feed them from the back of the cabinets!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just have my life insurance left to my mother. My main worry is what they will do with 15 Japanese imports if I croak.

Had to drop the kids off at their moms today and I know she has been out somewhere, probably shacking up with some rando, she has been lying saying she has been home. But what can I do? loving despicable piece of poo poo.