Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Obviously make sure you run me down on whatever long term side effects I can expect and precisely what kind of pleasure plateau we're talking about here!

Things from sci fi that I've seen be used as drugs:

1) Cigarettes

2) Electricity

3) Ginger (for nonhumans)

4) Steroids

5) Black Spiderman Costume

6) Spice Spice Baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The drug glands in iaian m banks' culture novels.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If I get those inserted do I eventually ever run out and will it make me go into terrible withdrawal (this is not necessarily a deal breaker of any kind)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Coffee
Kaf
Cof
Coffeine

Probably more ridiculous words so the author doesn't just say coffee

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh you meant addictive substances that make people feel good and get them through the day

Oh

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
who wanna buy some death sticks?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Basically everything in Farscape causes euphoria and horniness, up to background radiation

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tulip posted:

Basically everything in Farscape causes euphoria and horniness, up to background radiation

sometimes it causes suicidal ideation

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Squizzle posted:

sometimes it causes suicidal ideation

And paranoia!

Point is that if you're in farscape you're high as hell

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tulip posted:

And paranoia!

Point is that if you're in farscape you're high as hell

These are very promising initial findings when it comes time to choose my sci fi universe I'm absolutely giving strong thought to choosing the farscape universe

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Brave New World had people doing drugs all the time

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Brave New World had people doing drugs all the time

Were they good? Would they get me really high?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They would get you laid.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
How's Tek? They fought a whole war over it so it must be pretty good right?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The drug from Dredd.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Star Trek, clearly. Their drugs are videogames

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
That one seemed really lovely to me like why would I want subjective time to go on for LONGER like I already live in a horrible post nuclear apocalypse city can I get some mo-fuggin shrooms or something. Maybe something to give me a hard on? SOMETHING had better be improving when I take these drugs gosh darn it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

reignofevil posted:

If I get those inserted do I eventually ever run out and will it make me go into terrible withdrawal (this is not necessarily a deal breaker of any kind)

It's not explicitly stated in Banks' Culture books but I seem to recall there being limits to how much of any one thing could be made by the drug glands at a time and that a lot of folks just switched to something else to deal with or mask withdrawals, or knocked themselves out.

Were I to find myself in that particular sci-fi universe I would definitely gland all day everyday.

frogge fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 2, 2020

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Melange (spice). It turns you into a giant floating baby-thing with psychic powers and a face vagina and EVERYONE wants to stay on your good side because you're, like, the only one that can stop their spaceships slamming into planets and stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

reignofevil posted:

That one seemed really lovely to me like why would I want subjective time to go on for LONGER like I already live in a horrible post nuclear apocalypse city can I get some mo-fuggin shrooms or something. Maybe something to give me a hard on? SOMETHING had better be improving when I take these drugs gosh darn it.

I assume you use it to strech out what little joy you have. Like imagine if by taking drugs a weekend felt like it lasted for two weeks.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It also made things shiny and lensflared as all hell

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Finger Prince posted:

The drug glands in iaian m banks' culture novels.

I can't remember which book specifically but in one of them some Culture citizen grew little dicks all over his body and went on a cruise and partygoers were just piling in to see how many of them could jerk the dude off at the same time

it might have been The Hydrogen Sonata

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

I can't remember which book specifically but in one of them some Culture citizen grew little dicks all over his body and went on a cruise and partygoers were just piling in to see how many of them could jerk the dude off at the same time

it might have been The Hydrogen Sonata

I don't know if this is a drug but by god I'm thinkin' about it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tulip posted:

When my friends and i watched it we called it the show about people in space tripping balls, we'd try to identify at least one moment in every episode where someone was tripping or high as hell and it was almost never hard

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

VaultAggie posted:

The drug from Dredd.

I came here to say this, but it seems kind of nightmarish, all things considered

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
adrenochrome

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mass Effect. It's the only one where you can sniff a bag full of red pepper and turn from a cloud of farts in a bubblesuit into a BIOTIC GOD

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silvergoose posted:

Coffee
Kaf
Cof
Coffeine

Probably more ridiculous words so the author doesn't just say coffee

In Warhammer 40k they have recaff, which is coffee brewed with tea.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Well I don't know that we've found the best drug in sci fi yet but now I'm pretty sure we found the worst one

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Well I don't know that we've found the best drug in sci fi yet but now I'm pretty sure we found the worst one

:lmao:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

reignofevil posted:

I never said it was good.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Who What Now posted:

Arkhan Land was sadly lost in a warp storm before he could get back to the Imperium with the STC documents for Red Bull

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So in Warhammer they have some kinda of super steroid I could take right? Is that a drug? Will I grow large and smash things? I think that would make my brain feel at least a little bit good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the spice must flow OP!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
i mean there arent many scifis where the plot revolves around a specific drug that everyone in the galaxy who matters is hopelessly addicted to, so dune

lets not forget sappho, the mentat drug that's probably just an amphetamine, though

there's also semuta, which is the combination of some sort of drug and music that only sounds good on the drug

which may or may not be a dig at the grateful dead

one of the later novels (still by frank herbert though) mentions something called a hypnobong, which evidently doesn't require a chemical component to get you high

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 4, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

reignofevil posted:

So in Warhammer they have some kinda of super steroid I could take right? Is that a drug? Will I grow large and smash things? I think that would make my brain feel at least a little bit good.

Yes, but they only give it to ten year olds to turn them into space Marines. Also it makes your dick fall off (unless you're from one of the Chapters that fucks)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Terran stimpak. Ahhh yeah, that's the stuff

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
good to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Hodgepodge posted:

one of the later novels (still by frank herbert though) mentions something called a hypnobong, which evidently doesn't require a chemical component to get you high

Dang wanna rip the hypnobong rn