Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen so much Battlebots that I thought for sure the Utah moms were going to win the demolition derby simply because they had a wedge.

The demolition derby was extremely underwhelming. Those RC kits just don't have enough kick to them to make it interesting.

I'm working on catching up and just watched the derby episode, and shared the same sentiment to my wife about the wedge on the tractor. I was sad they built it so weak.

But yeah, the actual derby was crap aside from the dork twins doing the funniest poo poo that will ever be witnessed on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Zach and Wayne got robbed. The fencer puppet was really neat and the movement was fantastic. I didn’t get much from the dragon at all. Honesty, probably my least favorite competition week.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I think the fencer was the best puppet, then the DJ. The dragon was a fantastic sculpture but it had minimal movement. The fencer with the eyebrows moving with the the mouth made it very expressive. At least the correct team went home.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Zach and Wayne should have won basically every event so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think chances of anyone but Zack and Wayne winning in the end are slim tbh. They are pretty obviously the best builders on the show.

Mark and Steven do really good aesthetic stuff. I think they deserved to win this week personally. The dragon actually had better movement than people are giving it credit for imo and it looked great. The fencer definitely had the best movement though. The other entries were all ok but not great. I can see why the dog lost because it barely moved but I thought it looked better than the grandma by a long shot.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 19, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The aesthetic of the dragon puppet reminded me a bit of this guy that showed up at Lego properties quite a bit:

And I’m wondering if that’s something of the reason behind its success - it felt very complete and polished, and balanced being a character with being a puppet.

Next week’s challenge will be interesting - could really emphasize who is responsible for what in a given model.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked the look of the losing puppet a lot but it didn't seem to move, like, at all. They made it really easy for the judges, I think.

I agree that Zach and Wayne seem like the heavy favorites down the home stretch. They're a lot more creative than Mark and Steven and seem to have more technical skill than Nichole and Michelle.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 20, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

VaultAggie posted:

Zach and Wayne got robbed. The fencer puppet was really neat and the movement was fantastic. I didn’t get much from the dragon at all. Honesty, probably my least favorite competition week.

Agreed with this 100%.

The judges also seemed to really like Caleb and Jacob's puppet but it didn't really seem that great to me. They just built a box with some moving parts on the outside. Obviously this is all way beyond anything I could build, but it feels like the judges have picked a few favorite teams and give them a lot more leeway now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I agree with the decisions this time as well, though it feels like there was no punishment for one of the builds falling apart.

Either way, I'd say depending on the challenges it is pretty wide open.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of really cool builds this week. I love the artsy-er challenges.

A bit surprised by the decision. I thought Mark and Stevens' was worse than either of the bottom two. But Richard put in a notably bad performance in the individual part that really put them in a bind putting things together. I think he got stuck in a cul-du-sac with that coral idea. And both of them should have realized that if they can't really combine a penguin and coral, then all the rest of the punk rock scene needs to look like its built out of coral.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The coral was very bad. They needed to turn the penguin into colorful coral thing. Instead they didn't do anything. Once the judges said the girls were bottom two I knew the brothers were safe since the penguin didn't come close to satisfying the challenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think there was a fix for Mark and Steven's too. Rigid giraffe legs for the jellyfish instead of dangly ones. The dangly ones they went with just made it look like a jellyfish with weird-colored legs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think Zach and Wayne belonged in the top two this week. Their finished scene was so busy it was hard to tell what was going on. It was like the build from the other week where they judges told them to add a bit of color, and they went way overboard and just covered their build with colored pieces. It was just spines everywhere. I think the judges were too harsh on Natalie and Michelle for their how their creature was presented. Though the lack of color and diversity in it makes me feel like it's kind of a wash. If think if their scene had more than just yellow in it, I would be arguing more in their favor. The judges said the creature didn't stand out enough, but they combined a rat and an eel, a creature that would be hiding in its environment the same way they had it. David and Richard could have been in the top two easily if they had done more with the coral. I think they were completely hosed by doing coral, a rock that is technically an animal. Having it be a multi challenge saved Zach and Wayne but killed David and Richard. I think it would be hard for me to not feel frustrated if my partner had done coral. Not just that he picked coral, but that it was just that build.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

That coral build was possibly the worst build over both seasons of the show. The penguin was excellent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There have been worse builds. Like the "tower" the engineers made. And last season that team that tried to make a space RV or something that fell apart while they were moving it to be blown up or whatever the challenge was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The winner this week just blew all of the others out of the water. There was no question who would win. They also had the strongest initial builds.

Mark and Steven are unbelievably lucky. I couldn't believe they didn't use the golden brick after that build. They had a way bigger challenge than anyone else, but the tiny giraffe head sticking out of a giant jellyfish just looked ridiculous in a bad way. I thought they were going home for sure. Ultimately I see why the penguin lost though. The coral was completely unidentifiable in the end.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Sure was a shame to waste the golden brick on a week you win and they send nobody home. LOL

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Preposterous decision this week on the winners. The week really emphasized that this competition is Zack & Wayne vs. Scrubs.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

Sure was a shame to waste the golden brick on a week you win and they send nobody home. LOL

It was hilarious. I wasn't really impressed with any of the builds this week.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 2, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This week was just disappointing. I feel like the twist really just made everyone's builds take a turn for the worse as they had to change what they were doing and figure out how to fit new parts into their build. This week was kind of a wash, the challenge was dumb to begin with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The movement on Zack and Wayne's build was amazing. The build itself looked ok. Nothing else really stood out much, although I thought the whole popcorn thing Natalie and Michelle did was rad and they incorporated the wildcard part in pretty well. Giving a team a bunch of snakes was just mean. What an awful part to have to try and incorporate into almost anything. That curveball straight up sucked.

The choice of winner was baffling. I'd say it was easily one of the two worst with the other being snakes everywhere.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Zack and Wayne were robbed, again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if it was because all the entries sucked poo poo, or if they really planned to not send anyone home this week. It seemed like last season they were acting like it was an act of mercy to send three teams to the finals. But more they are doing that again, just putting off getting rid of the fourth team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if it was because all the entries sucked poo poo, or if they really planned to not send anyone home this week. It seemed like last season they were acting like it was an act of mercy to send three teams to the finals. But more they are doing that again, just putting off getting rid of the fourth team.

I'm sure they've got a set number of weeks where they can't send anyone home to make their episode order, so it's mildly clever of them to save one to the last week the golden brick can be used to flush it out.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Zack and Wayne had by far the worst build, but hey, they built something really far, so good job taking advantage of the challenge while not having any sort of story that the judges usually harp on.

Other than that I agree with who went home. I think without the length auto qualification it should have been a different finals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope they don't do anymore "build this technicality and you get into the top two" challenges. It just leads to teams building to that but also having a terrible overall build. The earthquake challenge is the epitome of that. An ugly tower with worse aesthetics than what a five your old would build, but their tower didn't fall down, so they are in the top 2. Total BS. I think that's what we ended up with this week. All the way up to the end I was thinking "The two teams fighting over castle bros will win be in the top two and then we'll wonder who is going to win, then Zach and Wayne will go home because their castle is truly lovely looking." Then it gets to the end and they announce that Zach and Wayne built out the furthest, so they automatically get to be top 2 and that pretty much forced the judges hands to send Natalie and Michelle home. While they didn't go out as far, they deserved to stay for the finals more than Zach and Wayne did. Their build was much more creative than Zach and Wayne's and I think was a better representation of their skills. The heaven castle or whatever was not at the level those two should have been building at, and it was also the worst of all the castles. It was pretty clear that they spent all of their time building six feet out and ran out of time to add details to their build. That "build furthest" technicality just added a layer of bullshit to an already good competition.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Caleb and jacobs build was incredible, I’m finding myself cheering them on in the Finals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really cool builds this week, aside from Zack and Wayne who figured out that no one was even going attempt to challenge them on length.

Not a lot of drama though. It was obvious Natalie and Michelle were struggling from the start. They had a neat concept though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think Zach and Waynes looked bad at all personally. Clearly wasn't on par with the other two moving to the finals, but I didn't think it looked ugly. Maybe a bit unfinished. I kind of knew no one was going to challenge them on length. the second they announced that would be part of the challenge I think everyone knew to not bother.

Michelle and Natalie always always had good ideas and this was no exception, but tbh I couldn't have told you it was even supposed to be a castle if you had a gun to my head. I feel like they would have gone home whether or not Zach and Wayne were safe. They always did really cool little builds of everyday objects and made unique stuff that stood out. But it felt like in the later half of the season they struggled to really bring their builds together. Their high point was definitely the hat

I feel like walking back previous statements that I think Zach and Wayne are a shoe in for the win. Really don't feel that way anymore. I have absolutely no idea who is going to win at this point. All 3 teams are probably the strongest of either season of Lego masters. Caleb and Jacob have done some incredible stuff in the last half of the season. Them winning this week was a no brainer. Awesome castle, awesome bridge, fun concept that worked really well. Although the fish was sort of hilariously small considering the idea was that it weighed so much that it destroyed the bridge lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess we'll have to see how it goes next week, but I think Zach and Wayne have been waning in quality over the last few challenges. They make ambitious builds, but they never have the details that make the other team's submissions pop.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zach and Wayne go too hard on the technical elements when the judges are notorious for emphasizing story and theme. That's cool -- I love their stuff -- but it's why they keep getting passed over. I loved finally seeing a castle build, and the twist was cool, but it shouldn't have been as important as it was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that is their biggest weakness. The actual top two teams had both great builds and good stories for what was happening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally started watching this and blasted through s1 in about a day. Now catching up with s2. I don’t think the teams’ personalities are as good/interesting as in 1 but there’s still lots of great builds. And Brickmaster Amy is GOATed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I’m caught up. That poo poo about the Castle Bros title was so lame haha. Caleb and Jacob’s castle owned but I wouldn’t mind if their build fell over and smashed and they cried on-camera next week

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Edit: Disregard, wrong Lego thread!

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 14, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So pumped I'mma watch this poo poo live and put up with the commercials. I'll spoiler any live posting because I get the impression most people watch it on Hulu.

I just noticed Brad Pitt is an EP on this.

ooo day/night idea is cool. I would have expected this to be a "do whatever the gently caress you want" finale like last season

Oh poo poo, Caleb and Jacob's build is going to be cool as gently caress.

Zack and Wayne's idea is pretty meh. I feel like we've seen the "Tower with stuff on each floor" idea before and it did not go well.

Could see the "night" side of Mark and Steven's getting lost.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 15, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the size is really going to be a problem for Caleb and Jacob. They're just trying to add some drama.

Really stretching for time here. Family videos huh? *checks watch*

Oh god, this commercial break cliffhanger is brutal :ohdear:

The second cliffhanger "Oh no I tripped on a cord" was much less dramatic.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Zack and Wayne did not bring it on this one. Several of their, like, 6-hour builds were more impressive than this.

Mark and Steven's is dope. Really comes together in the dark.

Caleb and Jacob's doesn't change very much light to dark.

Gonna predict Mark and Steven win.

I think they got 2nd/3rd wrong there.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 15, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok I’m caught up. That poo poo about the Castle Bros title was so lame haha. Caleb and Jacob’s castle owned but I wouldn’t mind if their build fell over and smashed and they cried on-camera next week

They made a penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PostNouveau posted:

Zack and Wayne did not bring it on this one. Several of their, like, 6-hour builds were more impressive than this.

Mark and Steven's is dope. Really comes together in the dark.

Caleb and Jacob's doesn't change very much light to dark.

Gonna predict Mark and Steven win.

I think they got 2nd/3rd wrong there.

Zack and Wayne didn't even get the movement of the dragons to work. It was disappointing I was pulling for them since technically they were clearly the best but couldn't tell a story.

Caleb and Jacob i think tried the best with the theme, and I think if they made their build rotate like an hour glass (and despite the dramatic tension they set up I don't think think it was that instable) it would have been good but I feel in general the build was weak.

Mark and Steven just flat out did the best and won.

This is the second year in a row the team my wife hated the most won.