Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This fails a test I have for early season builds, which is the "Is this what I would have done?" test. If I look at a build and say "I would have done that", the team has royally hosed up because I am an uncreative moron who can barely do the Lego kits. A mine with a conveyor belt and minecart tracks? Yep, that's what I would have done with this brief.

By the end of the season this test no longer works because all these teams have been eliminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
For completeness sake and later callbacks, build shots from the first two episodes.

US seaon 4, episode 1 (us.s04e01)

Note: they never got a title card shot, though they did have an animated sequence.

US seaon 4, episode 2 (us.s04e02)

And special call out to the director of cinematography, 'low angle into a can light' looks like poo poo and I hope you get hemorrhoids.

Bonus gif:

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 16, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Did the teams get a chance to demo or at least see the goop before it sprayed out of the volcano? I know you couldn't run it through the model, but you had a few teams that really seemed to totally misunderstand how the stuff worked. Even Poppy and Ben's build, which was great, seemed to not work 100% the way they wanted. I thought it was going to wash out the king guy and the scorpion and blow them all the way into the water.

Jordan and Chris had a really fun idea but they had that wheel so far away from a straight obelisk, I don't know how they thought any of the goo was going to hit the wheel, let alone enough to rotate it a few times.

Kind of a bummer episode for that reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A Fancy Hat posted:

Did the teams get a chance to demo or at least see the goop before it sprayed out of the volcano? I know you couldn't run it through the model, but you had a few teams that really seemed to totally misunderstand how the stuff worked. Even Poppy and Ben's build, which was great, seemed to not work 100% the way they wanted. I thought it was going to wash out the king guy and the scorpion and blow them all the way into the water.

Jordan and Chris had a really fun idea but they had that wheel so far away from a straight obelisk, I don't know how they thought any of the goo was going to hit the wheel, let alone enough to rotate it a few times.

Kind of a bummer episode for that reason.

I would think they would have taken everyone aside to show them what it would do so they could plan for it. Also, they said they were going to build a trough from TNT obelisk but then didn't. Their build made no sense. Why would an obelisk have lava in it?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I would think they would have taken everyone aside to show them what it would do so they could plan for it. Also, they said they were going to build a trough from TNT obelisk but then didn't. Their build made no sense. Why would an obelisk have lava in it?

The ancient legonians whittled down their volcano into a phallic structure that had sticky goo coming out of it, I don’t see what the judges had a problem with

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The two jungle ones were probably my favourites this episode. Those tech douches really nailed it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The tech bros big face looks like a space marine head to me. I thought at first they were going with an homage to the classic Pirates set Islanders, the King Kahuka mask.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Kinda looks like a Bionicle head to me on the temple...

Yeah I'm coming around to the idea that this is all Fox's fault. Some of those builds aren't bad given the time constraints, maybe a little below the Aus level. But we see so little of the actual build! Maybe a split second shot which isn't enough where you can get a sense of the details. That's all production choices.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That part last week where Will was like "You have 20 hours .... lol jk it's 12" :/

Like it would be awful for them to get more time

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoyed tonight's episode. The theme was great and so were a lot of the builds. Probably still too much reality TV drama bullshit for most.

I assume aussies already did the same theme with more build time etc.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jehde posted:

I enjoyed tonight's episode. The theme was great and so were a lot of the builds. Probably still too much reality TV drama bullshit for most.

I assume aussies already did the same theme with more build time etc.
No, it's a concept they haven't done in AUS. But yeah it's becoming extremely obvious how little they focus on the builds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great concept again. They've had some really good ideas for contests this year.

The builds were quite good. Most got as creative as you'd hope from the prompt.

Insufferable tech bros and Neena & Sam killed it. Monkey classroom was cool, but I think the concept was a lot better than the execution.

I noticed the show spared us because the ukelele lady had brought it up to the judging with her so almost certainly did a song that they cut.

Either of the bottom 2 could have gone. Neither of them really rose to the occasion.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

US seaon 4, episode 1 (us.s04e04)

My personal rankings of the builds.

Top Tier: any of them could have been a winner
Poppy & Ben's Hydra Attack - Great motion, and excellent composition of the piece. For a ten hour build (gently caress you Fox you time stingy bastards) it's impressive.
Chris & Robert's Alien Conquest - It keeps raising my bile that the Tech Bros are actually solid builders and deserve to be here. The beam was a little hard to read, but the spaceship was cool and the tractor mechs made it real fun.
Neena & Sam's Cuckoo Clock - Again great movement, excellent presence with the height. The brick should have gone to either of the other top tier teams but still a cool build.

Mid Tier: don't send them home just yet
Luis & Alex's Monkeying Around - Great character work, but that tree everything else is noticably lower quality, especially the tree. Barely misses top tier.
Aubree & Ryan's Mess on Jupiter - Good colors, meh ship and aliens, yet another build where Brickman would have stepped in at hour 2 and had them step back and assess the weight of elements, but these loving useless judges just don't seem to give a real poo poo about cool Lego builds.
Allyson & Melanie's Monster Meal - Did not fit the sound at all, boring movement, and the monsters are competent but boring shapes. The picnic basket and melon slices in the back are actually my favorite parts.

Bottom Tier: can we please cut them now so we can spend more time with better builds?
Tim & Tim's Great Willroni - I was yelling at the TV about them getting sent home, but the more I look at it now, man, it really is bare and basic. They needed some Brickman guidance to stick with their plans instead of choking. What's there is good, it's just so scant.
Emilee & Kelly's Lonely Robot - Just squares with stuff stuck on them. Felt uninspired and simplistic.
Paul & Nealita's Brick Baby - I hate the baby, especially its face and body. I hate the super square crib. I hate the rats. All it has going for it is size I guess? And the story sucked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How did the dick smashing robot stay out of the bottom two?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The pictures of the builds really aren’t making me think I’m missing out on much here to be honest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agreed with the top two although I would have given the win to the monkeys. Just a really good concept executed very well, although I do get the point about the tree. Hydra and tech bro one were good too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Another fun challenge idea. I would have liked to have seen a lot more of the builds. You barely got to see them this week.

Good concepts and executions all around. I thought the sun and moon falling in love was the better idea and technical execution and a lot more Cirque de Soleil-y, so a bit surprised for the judges to call it a tie.

The tech bros team was a lot less insufferable this week; the one guy goading them into a pushup contest was fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just started but Team Cirque are absolutely hosed

Starting to like the villainous tech guy

I hope the ukulele girls go out this week

Brickmaster Amy is mad cute. sorry ive been drinking

Oh no Sam made a mistake! Sam you idiot!!!!!!

Considering going to Cirque du Soleil…..wonder why……

Oh no, did Poppy die??

God the sun and moon poo poo is so good and tells a really good story, obviously they should win

Sam crushed it! Editing tricked me again!

oh gently caress the other one is really good too!!!!!! drat!!!!!!

The tie should feel like a cop-out but I get it both builds nailed it this week, sun and moon is a better story but mermaid thing had better scenery

They definitely plan the weeks where no-one is going home in advance lmao. I guess that’s obvious to everyone but STILL

Which was Aubree and Ryan’s? Are they not even gonna show it again? Oh yeah that one was really really good, deserved win

Liveposting Esco is BACK, baby!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow the builds were so good, that we have a tie, this has never happened before. *unfurls the pre-made "it's a tie" banner*

This was a fun episode but I'm getting tired of the fake drama they are putting in. From the editing, it looks like Sam and Neena don't even have anything built. They have two bland towers and then that non-working stage with nothing on it. Then the timer ends and they suddenly have a bunch of stuff on their build. Just let us see the builds, stop inserting video from earlier in the build to create fake conflict.

Also, I feel like if anyone were to go home, it would have been the team that was doing the train car high wire act. If the show gets to make up drama, I can too. I wonder if maybe they didn't get it fully working. They barely showed it off at all, and it was a tiny bit a movement, jump cut, tiny bit of movement, then move on to the next build. Whereas every other team got these long shots of their build moving. Like maybe they couldn't really get it to work, and they couldn't put that in the show because they had already decided on this "NO ONE LOSES, IT'S A TIE" story, so they had to just work around it and have the judges praise their boring build.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

so they had to just work around it and have the judges praise their boring build.

I'd be shocked if the judges don't give teams positive and negative feedback for every build to give the editors the maximum amount of content to work with.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was a fun episode with a pretty unique challenge. The rug turned out infinitely better than I expected but I really didn't like the chair; it felt like a really boxy approximation of something with smoother lines than that.

I feel real bad for Poppy and Ben, though. I thought they were one of the stronger teams overall. I'm assuming they popped positive for Covid or something like that and they couldn't film around a quarantine period?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

Did the teams get a chance to demo or at least see the goop before it sprayed out of the volcano? I know you couldn't run it through the model, but you had a few teams that really seemed to totally misunderstand how the stuff worked.
Yeah, it was kind of BS. I certainly wasn't expecting the lava to be, basically, a bunch of sweet and sour sauce. The obelisk guys though, I don't know what they were thinking. It's a shame because I think that team was really good, they just couldn't get it together. Some teams seem to have the imagination and the building skill but just can't handle the time limit. (Like, if that team had had an extra 45 minutes to think they probably would've realized it was a bad idea to not build a volcano in the volcano challenge.)

Just glad the volcanos didn't end up knocking out Neena and Sam who are the best team this season, IMO. And also in the Brickmasters' opinion, clearly. (And they are loving adorable.)

Poppy and Ben were nearly as good, and nearly as cute, and it sucks that got knocked out by whatever.

Rewatched season 2... I dunno, I feel like there just aren't any teams in S4 the caliber of the three brother teams. Once you get past the top 10-15 lego building pairs I think the level of skill starts to drop off, just like once you get past the top 10-15 runners or quarterbacks or any extremely high-skill thing with a long tail of talent distribution. From S2, Michelle/Natalie and Dave/Richard would have had a serious shot this season.

The best volcano anybody's ever made on Lego Masters is still the one Caleb and Jacob made for no reason except they had to use a bunch of red snakes and didn't know what else to do with them.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 3, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The chair was way worse than the camera, these judges are smoking crack.

Also, really hoping Poppie’s doing okay.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Another great challenge concept. Whoever does that is killing it this year.

God help me, another week when I was enjoying the antics of the tech bro. I don't think it got made in the edit; he really did seem to goad Nina and Sam into picking the impossible rug. The rug came out really well though. Obviously not 1:1, so they were right to use their freebie, but way better than I could have imagined from the start.

Clarinet and telescope were both really good. TV set was obviously trash. Judges got everything right this week.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The replicate an object from this office challenge was copied direct from AU, which as always did it better. The host and judge both stayed in costume and played up the parts. Brickman pushed all the teams to do better builds. The US version even nods to the awesomeness of the AU version of this challenge with a closeup of a fan, which one of the AU teams did and it was insane, especially when it was like 2 hours left and Brickman just saunters up to them and goes "I bet you could make it oscillate as well. go on, make it oscillate" and they did.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Slyphic posted:

The replicate an object from this office challenge was copied direct from AU, which as always did it better. The host and judge both stayed in costume and played up the parts. Brickman pushed all the teams to do better builds. The US version even nods to the awesomeness of the AU version of this challenge with a closeup of a fan, which one of the AU teams did and it was insane, especially when it was like 2 hours left and Brickman just saunters up to them and goes "I bet you could make it oscillate as well. go on, make it oscillate" and they did.

Yeah, I think it's hilarious how far and away the best episode of the season is directly lifted from Australia. I'm pretty sure the typewriter you've seen in lego stores is an adaptation of Damiaan and Andrew's build from that ep.

That being said, the American version was the best building so far from a bunch of teams. The moms hadn't shown anything of the quality of that clarinet yet, nor had the sibs done anything like that telescope. Both were hella impressive

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Poppy!!!! Nooooo!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sam and Neena definitely did a foolish thing but gently caress it why not when you have the golden brick

If the ukulele girls can pull off that camera it’ll be really neat

“We should have done the TV screen first” drat if only the judges had told you that

Everyone coming to help with the rug is a very cute if obviously fake moment

The clarinet looks great! Very very good use of parts. Big glow up from the moms.

Nobody would mistake any of these for the real thing. Hopefully the mystery guest is a real idiot

Quite surprised to see the tech guys didn’t even try to do the curves in a lot of the chair

drat the TV is not good.

God the rug looks so nice. Would have def got them in the bottom two but just as a thing in itself it’s cool

Oh ok Stacey treating this like she’s stressed on a game show lmao. Doing a terrible job. Or they asked her to y’know. Jessica Rabbit costume rules tho

Agreed with the top two but shocked the clarinet didn’t win it looked so good!!!

Tech nerds should have been in the bottom two but I guess they don’t wanna send them home because they make for entertaining TV and if they put the chair against specifically one other it would be even more blatantly dumb

What a downturn for Aubree and Ryan! Was probably the worst one though.

Overall a fun episode and next week’s looks like it could be a huge mess lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Which season/episode did they do this challenge in the Australian show? I couldn’t find it so I’m rewatching the aus bridge challenge.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

ruddiger posted:

Which season/episode did they do this challenge in the Australian show?
s5e03

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sucks that Poppy and Ben had to leave. Poppy had to leave part way through the last episode, so I guess he just couldn't keep going on, and that means Ben had to leave because he needed a teammate. Maybe they should rethink having older people on the show, considering one of the grandpas from last season died earlier this year.

It was a fun episode. I agree with the top two. I would have had the clarinet win, because the brickmasters were praising them the entire episode. They were following the ideas of lego by grabbing a bunch of parts to really try different things and see what worked best and they nailed. But I'm not mad about the telescope, that was also a really good build. The tech bros should have been in the bottom two. That chair was a stupid choice, ambitious or not, and it was a bad, boring build. I feel like the judges had it out for Aubree and Ryan with that TV ever since Ryan didn't listen to them and didn't build the screen first. I don't see why else the camera was in the bottom 2 as well. It was the smallest build, and then they had that tube that didn't really fit the cable that was on the real camera, I don't think that's enough for bottom 2. So I think they put them in the bottom 2 so that it would be easier to send Aubree and Ryan home. Otherwise I would have sent the tech bros home. Like someone said above, I assume they want to keep them because they are good foils for other people. Him tricking Neena and Sam into going too big so they had to use the golden brick was good TV, but I think it would have also been good TV for the tech bros to have their icarus moment and both put the golden brick in play for everyone else and also get sent home.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Poppy, the grandpa, Leslie Jordan. Is Lego Masters cursed?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: doh mistook this thread for the regular LEGO one!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 7, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got around to watching the office objects one. I thought it was pretty funny by the standard of the show’s intentionally groan-y format. I liked those voiceovers, even if was kind of trite.

Would’ve been tough for the girls to get knocked out on what was a very, very good model, even if it was one of the easier choices, but that’s what happens late in the competition, you know? Fortunately Aubrey and Ryan made it very easy on the judges by not even getting the dimensions of the TV screen right, when everybody in the world can instantly recognize the 4:3 format and would very easily notice if it was off a little - and they were off a LOT. The screen didn’t look good either, but making it the right shape probably would’ve helped a bit.

I definitely agreed that the telescope and clarinet were the best, and I figured they’d give it to the telescope just because it was bigger. I liked the clarinet a bit more because of the NPU, and because I like clarinets, but they were both pretty great. There was absolutely zero chance of Stacy picking them out except by naming random poo poo, which was more impressive with the telescope because it was much more prominent. (The bell on the clarinet was also pretty off and would’ve made it easier to pick out up close.)

My wife really didn’t like the deceit from the business school kids (which I thought might have been reality show “magic”, but Neena said they really did convince them to take the rug.) I can understand that. But it did end up creating a nice moment when everybody helped them finish. It’s clear there are strong bonds among most contestants, that don’t get shown on air too much* until you see them crying when somebody leaves, so it was nice to see some of that directly. The juxtaposition of that with the “villains” nearly failing the challenge was good TV. And the rug turned out to be actually pretty awesome, it looked shockingly natural in the room.

I need to check out some of those Aussie episodes. Like, even if I don’t find them better than the US episodes, it’s still, y’know, more “Lego Masters.”

* one of these that really took me by surprise this season is that everybody REALLY seemed to love the Tims (the overall guys). I mean they seemed nice but they must have been absolute saints.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I really thought the rug finish was a manufactured moment, but when I went back and looked again, you can see other teams working on it while the Tech Bros are trying to assemble the chair. So that was nice to confirm. Or they gave everyone 5 extra minutes or something so they could build the chair, and everyone else jumped on the rug because it's not like it was going to make or break it, it's just a sweet gesture.

Misunderstood posted:

I need to check out some of those Aussie episodes. Like, even if I don’t find them better than the US episodes, it’s still, y’know, more “Lego Masters.”
You really do, I have never spoken with a single soul that's seen both and thought the US version was better. NZ was pretty meh though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Australian Lego masters eps are on tubi, but they only have the first four seasons.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BTW, sorry for the delay.

US seaon 4, episode 5 (us.s04e05)

And bonus gif of the mermaid train 'movement'

US seaon 4, episode 6 (us.s04e06)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bric Chic

I predict the team making a gray duffel bag for the fashion episode are gonna go out. That or one of the summer ones. Sam’s and tech bros both look really good

Ok yeah ukulele girls are potentially hosed

Arnett’s diva thing is probably more entertaining to me than it should be. If he isn’t actually having fun dicking around making this show he’s doing a good job of fooling me. Bringing some of that Murderville energy.

This is a very very silly episode

Tech bros bag is still a little busy but overall a very good design and the clasp is super impressive. The emotional mom stuff is obviously still just playing the reality show game in a different way lol. Ukulele girls just about pulled it together in the end and ended up with not a disaster but not really good enough for this far in the competition. Miami boys have a really good design but sucks you seemingly can’t actually pick it up, but I do think the design/amusing shoot will keep them safe. Mom’s design is a little ugly to me but overall looks unique and the shoot is very good. Sam and Neena’s is good as hell as usual, really nice shape especially. My auto-correct keeps wanting to capitalise “Sam”. Siblings did end up making kind of a boring one but not as bad as I was initially worrying. Ukulele girls are going out for sure.

Absolutely would not have put the sibs in the top two but definitely agree with the winner, it was for sure my favourite this week and made up for their boring chair last week. Bottom two and eliminated group I have no qualms with. So glad they didn’t sing a leaving song.

Very goofy amusing episode. Next week’s seems extremely chaotic so looking forward to that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really liked Sam and Neena's bag. it was really cool. I can't believe that the ukulele team was that bad. The guy's with the miami bag had a really cool concept but they just goofed the implementation. They probably would have gone home if that shoebox with wheels wasn't so terrible. Another victim of "I LOVE *topic* this is my challenge!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not to take away from the new episode but I just noticed Lego Masters UK is also on tubi.