Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, surely they had enough material to make two episodes out of the final. Maybe they thought average viewers couldn't handle not having someone win a challenge in one of the episodes so they just made the clip show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man I could’ve sworn the Australian s4 was on tubi, I was so bummed when I finished s3 and found out I ran out of eps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s da finale!!!!!

Concept-wise the siblings’ sounds a little weaker than the others but they all have a chance to be good.

Neena coming in with the save to tie the stories together nice

Wouldn’t be surprised if the tech bros take this one their build sounds really good plus, y’know, their general track record

I guess there has to be some focus group testing somewhere that says people like when they bring the families in in the finale but who cares!!!!!

Oh poo poo a big break it’s that reality show drama baby that is sorted out 30 seconds later because of course it is lmao

Looking at them from a distance I think I like the tree the most?? The front of the plane looks a little wack but the tree is great from every angle

Yeah I love the tree, all the individual dioramas are great and it comes together so nicely, while the tree itself also looks great.

Christmas Eve is nice, some very sweet stories, but I think the main issue is that the walls are like on the wrong side? Like from one angle you see the interesting hill but only wall and from the other angle you see all the stories on the inside but not the hill.

The plane is cool but the wings stick out too much and there’s too much dead space, while the stories in the middle are very very good there’s too much that’s just basic colours around it.

Results went as about as expected but they’re gonna have to do a lot of work to make that plane something that would go in peoples houses without people knocking the wings constantly. I would have gone for the tree for sure. Oh well another season down, see you all in like four days for the Christmas eps

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Weak concepts for the finale here. I'm sure the Lego pros are going to shove the scale down to regular kit size, but it's hard not to watch this and think about how awful these sets would be.

I think everyone came in ready for a normal finale, when "This build is personally meaningful for me" is a good pitch for the judges. And then no one pivoted when the challenge was a kit. No one but you wants to build a big diorama of your life, guys.

These are too big for a kit too. "We are hoping to set a record for the largest thing ever built on Lego Masters". Yeah, alright they gonna make a kit out of your 5-foot-long jumbo jet or your 4-foot tall tree? The Lego company is going to ship 50-pound buckets for this?

None of them are working at minifig scale. I can't recall a kit with characters like that. Lego is pretty much all-in on minifigs.

Mom and son I think still pretty came out disconnected even with this seasons idea.

Siblings, cool house, all connected in one scene, probably better than mom and son.

Tech bros, impressively large with the wings self-supported. Like Neera and Sam though, it's not cohesively one single scene. I dunno I hate diorama builds.

I liked Paul & Nealita's the best.

The judges seem to really spaz out about impressive engineering. And like, yeah, genuinely cool that you managed to build a plane with those wings. But it's a lot like the roller coaster with the weird lift mechanism. Sure you accomplished what you set out to accomplish, but was your goal meaningful to begin with?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I enjoyed the season quite a bit overall but this finale was kind of a dud, which wasn't helped by the random clip show last week.

So the challenge was to make a big model that's tied to your life experience. Cool, good concept for a finale. But also, it's getting turned into a real kit. That feels like two different challenges and two that are completely opposed to each other. It's got to be something people would buy and could realistically be sold. But also make it huge and all about you.

The siblings build was the weakest imho but a wintry cabin on a hillside would be a fun kit to build in real life. And the tech bros airplane dream thing was cool but I can't imagine that the real model will be anything at all like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm very interested to see what the final kit looks like. "Scale this down and generalize it for a mass audience" sounds like a Lego Masters challenge on its own.

Surprised it isn't on sale already. Lego's definitely not going to sell any of these things by the time they make the kit.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I find it amusing they picked the build that would probably be the hardest for the lego group to turn into a real set, between the flimsy wingspan and the motor track going everywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm a bit disappointed by this episode. Was the challenge actually for them to connect the build back to themselves or did everyone just do that as judge bait? I thought it was just "make something big and ambitious and also it will be turned into a lego set." Those seem like two completely different challenges. This was an ok "make a big scene that showcases your life, but none of these would be good sets. The christmas house was really simplistic, and it seems like they forgot it was supposed to be christmas and forgot to put snow on the hill. Their sled is sliding down rocks. The tree was an ok diorama, but the connection between the seasons and the scenes seemed tenuous at best. Their explanation was "This is winter, and also my grandma's kitchen. This is spring and my mom's garden." Why are they those seasons aside from Amy and Jamie saying you need a story tying things together? The plane was interesting in that it is so large and doesn't need supports, but those scenes don't really mean much to me because I haven't been to those places.

I feel like I'm judging them so harshly because they also need to be a lego set eventually. I personally would never buy any of these. And also lol at Sam saying that his grandma bought him his first lego set and hopefully his build could be some other kid's first lego set. No one is going to spend 200 dollars on a big tree about some guy's family as a child's first lego set. The builds were all pretty decent for "make a large build that is connected to your life". But I feel like if the builds would be a lego set in the end, the challenge should have been "create an actual lego set that we can sell." Like a 24 hour Lego Ideas challenge. That would have been really cool.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

But I feel like if the builds would be a lego set in the end, the challenge should have been "create an actual lego set that we can sell." Like a 24 hour Lego Ideas challenge. That would have been really cool.

Yeah, the judges saying "we want that scale" really hurt it, but I don't think anyone had a vision.

Like someone on Reddit posted the finale builds from the Danish version and look at this thing

That is a vision and a clear, discrete scene. I could see that being a set, no problem. It's big, but not mind-blowingly enormous, but it's in a different league than these finale builds quality-wise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finale should have been cut in half for exactly this reason because a giant rear end show piece is not a set they can sell and vice versa

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

I'm a bit disappointed by this episode. Was the challenge actually for them to connect the build back to themselves or did everyone just do that as judge bait?

Watching the episode now and they did ask for them to dig deep and personalize it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Very pissed off over who won. gently caress them

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

A Fancy Hat posted:

The siblings build was the weakest imho but a wintry cabin on a hillside would be a fun kit to build in real life. And the tech bros airplane dream thing was cool but I can't imagine that the real model will be anything at all like that.

That’s what I was saying to my wife - I could see Lego making a minifig-scale version of that as the annual winter village set or something.

I’d bet that the set that’s produced from this ends up being a small brick-built plane that fits their minifigs and three microscale vignettes. Maybe the plane has a clear stand so it looks like it’s flying between them or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally getting around to AU Season 5 and woo boy the level of competition is crazy.

Actually didn't agree with Brickman on the one I just watched (the first elimination with the roller coaster). I thought Kale was a lot more functional with a non-passive teammate, and their section looked much cooler than several of the other teams, even in the POV shots

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you have the time, it’s worth following Bilsy’s twitch feed and watching his live videos he made for each episode of that season. Has a lot of the people on (and Henry is one of the cohosts, it’s so funny to see his actual personality) and they talk a ton about the reality of the show and give their opinion of the builds.

You have the most amazing finale ahead of you for sure.

E: I went through the effort of finding the link then promptly forgot to paste it. https://twitch.tv/iambilsy

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 17, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't stop binging Season 5, just so good.

Do have another bone to pick with Brickman though. They're doing the Disney build and the Fantasia guys are doing the scene on the crag where Mickey is controlling the waves, and he basically orders them to give up on that and do the brooms scene because it's the most iconic scene in the movie.

But then there's a team doing Frozen and doing Olaf getting a nose, which is a scene I don't even remember. If you're gonna do it to one team, you have to go order that other team to do the ice castle!

My god, everyone crushed the explosion build so hard.

The heist build was the first time I actually felt a bit sad about an elimination. I could easily just watch a show that was like 24 episodes a season of that group of 6 teams competing for a new prize each week.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 17, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All those final builds were pretty awful. Woe to the Lego teams that have to adapt any of those things for the consumer market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ruddiger posted:

All those final builds were pretty awful. Woe to the Lego teams that have to adapt any of those things for the consumer market.

Even worse, they have to interact with Christopher and Robert to make it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Even worse, they have to interact with Christopher and Robert to make it.

They’ll want to do A/B testing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got to the cliff face challenge in AU Season 5.

It's definitely a "first as tragedy then as farce" situation with this butterfingers team. Like every other week, they're in the previews for dropping something. At some point, this is your signature move! You've got the team who destroys their build 1/3rd of the way through the contest; you're the team who drops things.

One team made the elimination pretty easy in the end though. You could tell from the start their concept wasn't going to read and it never came together and they've got some technical issues on top of it and every other non-immune team turned in great stuff. I was surprised they didn't get the classic Brickman come to Jesus talk a few hours in.

Also :lol: at how lazy the immune team was. I probably would have been too, but there's such a huge difference between them and the top 3.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 18, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Season 5 AU semis:

- All carousel concepts are great.

- Classic Brickman throughout. He's got some great critiques throughout that made these builds a lot better, although a lot of them did boil down to "Bigger!!!! Biggeerrrrrrrr!!!!" But he was dead-on each time.

- These came so goddamn out well — just a masterclass in Lego. Every one of these blows anything in the recent finale of the US version out of the water.

- I am surprised a couple of these teams didn't get dinged for their builds not being theoretically rideable because they didn't include saddles.

- Ultimately, I don't think it is a tough decision for Brickman. The bee was awesome (especially the face), but it did not have a lot of detail compared to the other builds. So much of it was just a big green blob.

Finale:

- Oh hey actual scenes in a finale. Who would have thought?

- I love how they actually show the builds coming together. I think the US version tries to hide the builds so they can have big reveals, but it's so much better watching them come together.

- Each of these is perfect for the teams' strengths. They're so different from each other too.

- lol the halftime show/dance party is such a great tension cutter

- End results are astounding. Like, probably 3 of the top 10 builds across the shows I've seen. The winner is the best thing anyone has built.

- I knew from like halfway through the season that Scotty & Owen were going to win. Brickman was focused on them the whole season and I think pushing them harder than the rest because he knew they could do it, and I'm not sure he thought the other teams had it in them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How much time did they have to build those?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

Fifteen minutes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

28 hours

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe the extra four hours is where the good builds come from.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going from “this old contestant got a job at LEGO!” to “this old contestant got a tumour” was loving wild

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure they just made half of these carols up

Marshawn Lynch stole the show in these specials tbh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm just building so I don't get fined

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Those Christmas specials were better than the entire last series tbh. And no, I've never heard of 'up on top of the house' or whatever it was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw the US had their Christmas special out and got excited over the prospect of AU Bricksmas… and they’re not doing it this year.

Tree gone back in the box. Christmas ruined. Hopefully it means the next season is close tho.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I just started AU season 2. They've definitely dialed up the comedy and it works really well. The Flash Jordan brick is brilliant.

I thought Brickman was kind of nicer to everybody than he was in season 1. Or maybe it was just edited to make his criticisms seem gentler? (Like, anything sounds worse after a scary reality show sound effect.) I loved how he would just say "well geez you made a real piece of poo poo here huh" in season 1 and I hope he still does that, and he was just being nice because it was a premier (and also because the only team to really screw up was little girls.)

I love how open it was for a first challenge, though! It was pretty drat close to "build anything," just with minifigure scale mandatory. (And really I think they should do mandatory minifigure scale more often. It makes things look more like sets. Like the steampunk island and boat that the stoner guys made, that looked like a set!)

(Unlike big planes with saggy wings and random monuments in the middle!)

ruddiger posted:

I like to be a positive person but yeah, they were all just... okay, at best. :smith:

I just don't understand why they couldn't get better teams this season. The top three teams all had their moments, but they felt more like fourth-sixth place teams from earlier seasons. If there's enough talent in Australia to keep up the quality, can't we manage with over ten times the population?

(It's not just on the builders, either - I think some of the challenges were pretty poorly conceived.)

Escobarbarian posted:

Marshawn Lynch stole the show in these specials tbh
I think Marshawn Lynch has stolen every moment of his life. That dude rules.

[praise from brickmasters]
Will: "Marshawn, how does that make you feel?"
Marshawn: "It doesn't make me feel any way. I already knew that. I told you."

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 23, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the hell is wrong with Fox? I load up the first holiday special episode and it's a recap of the episode that I haven't even watched yet? Just let me watch the drat show.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty sure they just made half of these carols up

What :what:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Unkempt posted:

Those Christmas specials were better than the entire last series tbh. And no, I've never heard of 'up on top of the house' or whatever it was.

What :what:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe those people aren't American or something. But Up on the Housetop is from the 1860s, so surely you'd have to hear it at some point.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Catching up on season 5 AUS and the first 3 episodes have just been incredible. I don't particularly care for Trents builds til the last second and realize just how good the facial expressions are. Scott&Owen are just being awesome too.
I skipped season 4 and should go back to see the two teams I don't know they flew under the radar but are coming on strong.

S5E3 may be the single best Lego episode I've seen of 8? Sessions between Aus and US. And the USA one I saw copied it!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Aussie Lego masters season 6 is up next week.
Australia vs the world.

There's Krystal and Michelle from the US seasons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do they put things on YouTube like taskmaster does, or do I have to set sail on the high seas?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I kinda sorta know a dude in this so go that dude's team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They aired a new promo last night during Married at First Sight showing the teams and some of the builds from the floor, it looks to be a fun one again. Hyped. It’s not on their insta yet annoyingly.