Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The beard guys' bridge was starting to come apart a bit. The newlyweds bridge would probably have lasted longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

er, I just said that?

But yeah Mark and Boones looked like it was going to take about 5 more lbs before crashing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You said it was seemingly holding endless weight. If they had been allowed to go much further, it likely would have failed.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Boone is one of the Beyond the Brick YouTube guys! I knew I'd seen that dumb beard before!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
By outward appearance I thought Richard and Flynn was going to be one to beat. All that technic work looked amazing even though they admitted artistry was more their thing. It just seemed like the plates on the bridge itself were held up by nothing. The weights just fell right through like it was nothing I couldn't believe it. Also agreeing I have no idea how the newlyweds held up but I'm real curious what their structure underneath was like in detail, not just the sweeping shot we got. Another time a time-lapse shot would be super cool.

I will say I was disappointed that they were going to pick the loser by aesthetic. I was excited to see a "physical" challenge this week but they keep going back to looks and story too much. Lego can make some amazing art but it's also an amazing engineering toy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

By outward appearance I thought Richard and Flynn was going to be one to beat. All that technic work looked amazing even though they admitted artistry was more their thing. It just seemed like the plates on the bridge itself were held up by nothing. The weights just fell right through like it was nothing I couldn't believe it. Also agreeing I have no idea how the newlyweds held up but I'm real curious what their structure underneath was like in detail, not just the sweeping shot we got. Another time a time-lapse shot would be super cool.

I will say I was disappointed that they were going to pick the loser by aesthetic. I was excited to see a "physical" challenge this week but they keep going back to looks and story too much. Lego can make some amazing art but it's also an amazing engineering toy.

How else would they decide? There would be no point of a bottom two if they went by the weight being held by the bridge. How much weight their bridge held is what stratified them into the bottom, middle, and top. Then aesthetics decided the final results.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did appreciate the two teams who put a minifig driver in their cars in the racing challenge.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

How else would they decide? There would be no point of a bottom two if they went by the weight being held by the bridge. How much weight their bridge held is what stratified them into the bottom, middle, and top. Then aesthetics decided the final results.

Really it was a bottom one since the one team didn't bother to add a layer of flats to the top to be level.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still confused as to why they couldn't have just done that in the last 5 minutes to meet the criteria of the challenge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still confused as to why they couldn't have just done that in the last 5 minutes to meet the criteria of the challenge.

The rest of their bridge was completely unfinished as well. The big arches at either end stopped about 2/3 of the way up and weren't supporting the bridge at all, and they had a flimsy strut running underneath the bridge which also wasn't supporting it apart from a tiny thin pillar on one side which they added at the last minute. It also looked ugly as sin:

They came second in the car race as well so they had a big time advantage to start with. The Newlyweds came second last in the car race and started at a disadvantage but managed to make an insanely successful bridge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think it was almost a sure thing they would have lost regardless, even though it held more weight than the other one and tied with Sam/Jessica. They would probably have used aesthetics as the tie breaker and would have still been in the bottom 2, and Richard/Flynns looked way nicer.

I just didn't see what was stopping them from slapping some plates on top at the last minute just so they weren't guaranteed a loss.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They came second in the car race as well so they had a big time advantage to start with. The Newlyweds came second last in the car race and started at a disadvantage but managed to make an insanely successful bridge.

The problem is they couldn't copy anyone else's design this week. Baby copying bastards! :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they really copied the poo poo out of that baby

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

veni veni veni posted:

I just didn't see what was stopping them from slapping some plates on top at the last minute just so they weren't guaranteed a loss.

They could have also lifted it up and placed a handful of small plates on the thin bottom edge of the bridge or even the end sections immediately under the bridge surface for the same result, it probably would have taken less than a minute :ssh:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

There doesn't have to always be a bottom two with an arbitrary decision made by the judges. You don't need to reiterate what the show did, I understood what happened, I'm saying I thought it was dumb.

It was a weight/structure competition, let that be the decider. I guess it doesn't make for dramatic tv since you lose the opportunity to have the long pause because they say who's going home.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ChesterJT posted:

I guess it doesn't make for dramatic tv since you lose the opportunity to have the long pause because they say who's going home.

Yeah they also need to give the judges something to do at the end of the episode. :v:
Also it gives the producers a degree of control over what happens which is often just how it goes in reality TV. Plus it's just better TV if the contestants make pretty bridges which looks like scale models instead of everyone making boring solid bridges that work well but look ugly. Don't forget that it's not just a reality TV show that happens to feature Lego, it's also an advertisement/promotion of the Lego brand and the Lego brand values.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 16, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Without the aesthetics, they would have just sent Richard and Flynn home with little fanfare. Jermaine and Mel deserved to lose. Their bridge tied for second to last place, looked bad, and wasn't even close to being finished. Not to mention that they had spent the past few weeks copying other people's designs and everything they came up with on their own was pretty lackluster. I felt like they deserved to lose against the cosplayers, so to keep them in the game two times in a row with terrible entries, would be bad television.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It' been pretty clear since the first episode that Christian & Aaron, Boone & Mark, and Tyler & Amy will be the final 3. No one else stood a chance.

I was convinced until the last couple eps that Christian & Aaron were a shoe in. I still think they have the nicest looking builds in general but really all 3 of those teams are crazy talented and it's probably anyone's game at this point.

Flynn/Richard and Sam/Jessica have made some pretty great stuff but I don't think there's any chance they won't be the next two teams to go.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sam/Jessica should have been gone week 1 and were lucky to get through week 2. They've been all right since but are definitely the weakest of the remaining groups. No idea how Jessica ended up on the show.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Sam/Jessica should have been gone week 1 and were lucky to get through week 2. They've been all right since but are definitely the weakest of the remaining groups. No idea how Sam ended up on the show.

Jessica would be great if she had someone to bounce ideas off of, Sam is a bully through and through.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PowerBeard posted:

Jessica would be great if she had someone to bounce ideas off of, Sam is a bully through and through.

Good job reading the thread.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Waltzing Along posted:

Good job reading the thread.

what?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

He edited my post to say he had no idea how Sam ended up on the show when on the previous page that very fact was explained. In other words, he didn't read the thread.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Waltzing Along posted:

He edited my post to say he had no idea how Sam ended up on the show when on the previous page that very fact was explained. In other words, he didn't read the thread.

Pretty sure Powerboard was just using rhetoric to suggest that Sam shouldn't be on the show on account of being a bully.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I read that bit about Sam's previous models, but great exposure like that doesn't excuse poor teamwork and manipulative behaviour.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Thank you, thread police. Your work here is done.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Finally got to watch the episode. I think the right team went home. They didn't finish the build, their bridge sucked, and it also looked terrible.

I do slightly disagree with the winners, I thought both looked good (slight edge to newlyweds) but I think on the weight holding, while they had to stop at 1000 lbs, it definitely seemed like the beard bridge was starting to fail, while the newlyweds was not. It's not particularly egregious, but I would definitely have gone that way, especially since they did it without technic, which is awesome because i don't like technic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I might be grossly misreading it but the newlywed's bridge felt to me like it was going to look fine all the way until it suddenly wasn't and exploded into bits.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

I might be grossly misreading it but the newlywed's bridge felt to me like it was going to look fine all the way until it suddenly wasn't and exploded into bits.

That's what the judges theorized would happen, and since working with Lego is literally their job I'd think they'd know what they're talking about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the newlyweds was the most creative looking, and the built in the most interesting way but mark and Boone’s just looked slicker.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

It' been pretty clear since the first episode that Christian & Aaron, Boone & Mark, and Tyler & Amy will be the final 3. No one else stood a chance.

I was convinced until the last couple eps that Christian & Aaron were a shoe in. I still think they have the nicest looking builds in general but really all 3 of those teams are crazy talented and it's probably anyone's game at this point.

Flynn/Richard and Sam/Jessica have made some pretty great stuff but I don't think there's any chance they won't be the next two teams to go.

Considering what the next challenge is, I wouldn't assume Christian and Aaron are a shoe-in. Quite the opposite personally. They might really gently caress it up next episode. They are not the best when it comes to following the challenge's goals. And I wouldn't underestimate Flynn and Richard. They have made some really cool builds too! And hell even Sam/Jessica could make it to the final three depending on what the challenges are and how lucky they get with them. It's still anyone's game. Aaron and Christian are the only ones I would bet money on them not winning on account of them not really following the challenge goals very well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Its TV so it very well could be the newlyweds because that is the best TV story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The next appears to be story telling so I can definitely see Aaron and Christian goofing it up, considering that their idea for "romance" was to just put hearts on a dragon. Mark and Boone used hearts for theirs, but it was to link the one shark to the other shark and it was a clear story that these two were in love and one was trying to free the other. Aaron and Christian's was just a dragon with a heart on it that was in love with something I guess. They make nice sculptures, but storytelling is definitely not their strong suit. Especially for what seems to be a story made up by children. I think Flynn and Richard, Sam and Jessica, and Tyler and Amy will be pretty strong for that one. Maybe even Mark and Boone because they are great all around. It would be really hilarious if Aaron and Christian get sent home because they make a really good looking model but it doesn't fit the story so the Judges have to pick them. I could really see Tyler and Amy winning this whole thing and it would be hilarious since Amy hadn't done any Lego before going on the show. Tyler could say he beat all the other teams while also teaching his wife how to be a world class builder at the same time.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Agree with the winner and loser this week. The newlyweds made a pretty awesome taker and carrot, and the chicken and horse for Richard and Flynn didn’t really look very good. With being in the bottom last week as well, it was sadly their time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kloaked00 posted:

Agree with the winner and loser this week. The newlyweds made a pretty awesome taker and carrot, and the chicken and horse for Richard and Flynn didn’t really look very good. With being in the bottom last week as well, it was sadly their time

Yeah the outcome was pretty clear there. I can kind've see where Richard and Flynn might have been trying to make their characters look like 2D storybook illustrations which worked super well for their Taker-Waker but they really needed everything to look perfect to pull that off because if the models were even slightly off they'd look like they went down that route because it was quick and easy (which was probably the case anyway!) rather than an aesthetic choice.
That UFO that popped out at the end looked especially simplistic and low effort.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the outcome was pretty clear there. I can kind've see where Richard and Flynn might have been trying to make their characters look like 2D storybook illustrations which worked super well for their Taker-Waker but they really needed everything to look perfect to pull that off because if the models were even slightly off they'd look like they went down that route because it was quick and easy (which was probably the case anyway!) rather than an aesthetic choice.
That UFO that popped out at the end looked especially simplistic and low effort.

Yeah the shot they showed earlier where he mentioned not having a chicken yet after three hours it was pretty apparent that they were just struggling to finish

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yeah, this is the first episode that I agree with their rankings 100% from top to bottom. Aaron & Christian barely stayed in it here, aided only by the fact that Richard & Flynn were totally lost and spent way too much time mechanizing and the actual models felt slapped together. Mark & Boone were solidly middling, but not for any reasons that involved poor building, just poor planning. I really enjoyed that their "things raining from the sky" actually did fall from the sky to the ground. Plus they get to keep the brick!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I could have seen Mark and Boone being swapped with Aaron and Christian but they were basically even to me so no qualms with how they were ranked.

Also I love how everyone expected Aaron and Christian to struggle with the story aspect of the challenge and that's exactly what happened lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was very happy to see Sam and Jessica in the top two. I figured they would be good at this challenge and they knocked it out of the park. Tyler and Amy really loving nailed it. The first part of their build was nice, but that carrot was awe inspiring. Especially the way they they attached the brown bricks to it to make it look like bricks are exploding out of the ground as the carrot comes out.

This week was weird for me because I knew exactly who was going to be top two this week, but had no idea who the bottom two would be. I kind of figured Richard and Flynn, but it was a complete toss up of the other teams. I have a feeling that the judges are really harsh on Aaron and Christian, because they are so good. The judges expect them to knock it out of the park, and they often don't. I think if any other team had done what they did, they would have been fine, but the judges expect so much more from Aaron and Christian. Mostly because there wasn't really any imagination to their build. They built a generic green witch for the Taker Waker. Probably the same for Tyler and Amy, but they always knock it out of the park. I guess also for Mark and Boone, who kind of poo poo the bed this week and were lucky they didn't lose their golden brick.

Richard and Flynn's build looked like it could have been an actual lego set, they just needed to make the creatures look nicer. Them and Sam And Jessica seemed like the weakest teams coming in to this week. Sam and Jessica stepped up to the plate, and Richard and Flynn really struggled. I think there was probably some producer fuckery going on to allow Mark and Boone to keep their golden brick and to give Aaron and Christian a wake up call that they can't just assume that nice looking builds are good enough, they really need to use their imaginations to fit their build to the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I have a feeling that the judges are really harsh on Aaron and Christian, because they are so good.

This is how it's seemed to me since episode 2. They've consistently been judged harsher than anyone else. That said, they really got beat this week. The second they revealed the Newlyweds it was the clear winner. I thought all of the other ones were pretty on par with each other except richard and flynns animals looked pretty rough so I'm not surprised they went home.