Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm the angry New Yorker posting in the thread because someone dared to criticize my city!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lambert posted:

I'm the angry New Yorker posting in the thread because someone dared to criticize my city!
GET HIM

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

TontoCorazon posted:

It's actually been a very warm winter, also suck a gently caress op.

It was cold and windy on saturday and you know that it's true.

Anyways. I went with my wife for 5 days. Mostly was a business trip. I went to a musical. Went to restaurants. I didn't want to spend tons of money so I was trying cheapish places like traditional new york pizza spots. No place to sit, always crowded as gently caress. Went to a taco place that is raved about. Very mediocre tacos. I can get better tacos at home, and those pale compared to what you can get in Texas. Went to Keens. That was ok. Went down to the World Trade Center for the experience. I didn't really want to go to museums my wife really doesn't care about art too much and we went to like 3 or 4 in Miami.

There was trash consistently all over the sidewalks everywhere I want. Saw rats in the metro and tons of trash there, not to mention sick homeless people that kept coughing on me, probably got coronavirus. Everything's always just packed with people. It's really uncomfortable and off-putting.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What I've learned so far is that you can stay up until 4am barhopping and not spending any money by going to the MET, which only asks for a donation.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Rats are adorable, so are pigeons. Oh no, your city is filled with cute critters, woe is you.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

GORDON posted:

What I've learned so far is that you can stay up until 4am barhopping and not spending any money by going to the MET, which only asks for a donation.

Don't forget the overpriced(but quality) yayo.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
New York is fine but every time I've been the entire city just REEKED of piss. Like yall know your city just smells like a toilet all the time right?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, tons of subway stations look really dilapidated.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

riseofmydick posted:

It was cold and windy on saturday and you know that it's true.

Anyways. I went with my wife for 5 days. Mostly was a business trip. I went to a musical. Went to restaurants. I didn't want to spend tons of money so I was trying cheapish places like traditional new york pizza spots. No place to sit, always crowded as gently caress. Went to a taco place that is raved about. Very mediocre tacos. I can get better tacos at home, and those pale compared to what you can get in Texas. Went to Keens. That was ok. Went down to the World Trade Center for the experience. I didn't really want to go to museums my wife really doesn't care about art too much and we went to like 3 or 4 in Miami.

There was trash consistently all over the sidewalks everywhere I want. Saw rats in the metro and tons of trash there, not to mention sick homeless people that kept coughing on me, probably got coronavirus. Everything's always just packed with people. It's really uncomfortable and off-putting.

I don't know about you sir but I will not stand here and have you slander the greatest city on the planet. The ability to do anything at anytime means most of it is mediocre quality. It's all right there within a 200x200 block area, what's the problem here?!

GORDON posted:

Don't forget the overpriced(but quality) yayo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

New York is fine but every time I've been the entire city just REEKED of piss. Like yall know your city just smells like a toilet all the time right?

Welcome to any city with a sizable homeless population

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

1redflag posted:

Welcome to any city with a sizable homeless population

Homie I live in Portland which has a thorough coating of homeless people thanks to skyrocketing housing costs and it does not smell like piss

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it rains all the time in portland doesnt it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Portland Maine or Portland Oregon?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Come down to Philly where an uber out to the bars, 14 alcoholic beverages, a big sloppy all night diner breakfast, and an uber home, will run you $75.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When my friends from NYC come down to Philly they act like rich tourists in a country where the exchange rate is very favorable. They're positively giddy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i lived in nyc for 10 years and yeah, it sucks for various reasons especially how expensive it is. but if you think the subway is "the most disgusting place youve ever been in your life" you just sound sheltered tbh its not significantly different than the public transit systems in most urban areas of the us or in plenty of other countries for that matter

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Homie I live in Portland which has a thorough coating of homeless people thanks to skyrocketing housing costs and it does not smell like piss

Homie, it definitely smells like piss in Portland. Lmao

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Earwicker posted:

i lived in nyc for 10 years and yeah, it sucks for various reasons especially how expensive it is. but if you think the subway is "the most disgusting place youve ever been in your life" you just sound sheltered tbh its not significantly different than the public transit systems in most urban areas of the us or in plenty of other countries for that matter

No, the difference is in most metro's they actually clean them. Lol. I've been to many countries all over the world and they all have significantly cleaner public transport systems. At the very least the line I was taking most often (6) was absolutely filthy.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
well well well fancyboy op is too good for smelling like piss

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

1redflag posted:

Homie, it definitely smells like piss in Portland. Lmao

only when you're here oddly enough

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

You see, when you live in a shithole everybody who won't dunk their head in piss is 'sheltered'

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i expect all cat owners have quietly shrunk away from the conversation

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

riseofmydick posted:

No, the difference is in most metro's they actually clean them. Lol. I've been to many countries all over the world and they all have significantly cleaner public transport systems. At the very least the line I was taking most often (6) was absolutely filthy.

the only ones ive seen that were substantially cleaner were in asia, major european bus and train systems can be plenty gross and most urban bus systems all over the us are pretty similar to the nyc subway in terms of cleanliness etc

also there is a tradeoff in that the subway runs 24 hours. its easier to keep trains clean when the whole system shuts down at midnight or 1. but really its just not that big of a difference at all

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Earwicker posted:

You're just wrong; the NYC metro is simply filthy.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Justin Credible posted:

I don't know about you sir but I will not stand here and have you slander the greatest city on the planet. The ability to do anything at anytime means most of it is mediocre quality. It's all right there within a 200x200 block area, what's the problem here?!

Please tell me about the mediocre restaurants, museums, architecture, theaters, and parks. Keep going. You are owning the libtards.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
NYC is like a bad version of Columbus, Ohio.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lambert posted:

You're just wrong; the NYC metro is simply filthy.

of course it is? im not denying that its filthy, im saying that most public transit systems in american cities are filthy. i mean i was a regular public transit rider for years in the bay area and in pittsburgh and sometimes dc and other cities before moving to nyc where i also used the subway multiple times a day and it didnt really seem any different. yeah it smells like piss and sometimes hosed up poo poo happens but thats pretty common all over

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The_Continental posted:

Please tell me about the mediocre restaurants, museums, architecture, theaters, and parks. Keep going. You are owning the libtards.

No I'm just posting in the New York sucks thread and you are very defensive about a place for some reason I can't really wrap my head around. Closest I got to NY was NJ so I have no experience of the place to go off of myself or cite specific examples for you to refute. I'm glad you like living there.

It just sucks, though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gently caress the yankees

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Also it's okay if city life is not for you, but lol that you would post a thread about it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
OP went to loving NYC and complained that it was crowded everywhere.

Can't make this poo poo up lmao.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Justin Credible posted:

No I'm just posting in the New York sucks thread and you are very defensive about a place for some reason I can't really wrap my head around. Closest I got to NY was NJ so I have no experience of the place to go off of myself or cite specific examples for you to refute. I'm glad you like living there.

It just sucks, though.

I actually live in Brisbane. It has none of the things people hate about New York, it also has none of the things people like about it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've lived in nyc for half of my life and its super rad gently caress you OP

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I know a bunch of tourists must do this, but it just feels wrong to go to the city and not check out at least one museum.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

riseofmydick posted:

At the very least the line I was taking most often (6) was absolutely filthy.

The 456 runs 24/7 and has more daily ridership than the entire train system in San Francisco, Boston, Chicago or DC. It's hard to keep clean.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A city that is one gigantic mega toilet. The city that never flushes

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fyi tourists are required to pay at the Met now https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/now-at-the-met/2018/updated-admissions-policy-daniel-weiss

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
The first time I went to Manhattan I got off the train and saw two bums blowing each other in an alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sex and the city makes NYC look positively glamorous