Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sheriffs are just bastards that get elected rather than bastards that get hired, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1294755111713927169?s=21

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Sheriffs are just bastards that get elected rather than bastards that get hired, right?

in general, yes, and it's almost always based on county as a technicality rather than cities, so places without technical police will almost always have them, other than alaska which does things weird

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

To clarify, gently caress the police.

Those shootings were a classic case of the double standard of justice.

Nothing like seeing the Popo do a no knock nightime warrant and blasting a woman multiple times.

Then the official investigation and court ruling is that nothing wrong was done.

Also lmao at how Sleepy Joe thinks he can compete with Trump's authoritarian ideals and messaging in this respect.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

MarcusSA posted:

it would be some good lols if this were true as presented.

How the gently caress is Biden the one with the worse failson.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What would Biden look like as an anime girl

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

If you're nervous I voted for Nader in 2000 and have gotten over 20 years of liberal tears out of it. My Tear Cave is full enough Mayo Pete could hold a fundraiser there.

:same: I haven't milked it for lib tears, I don't know why I never considered it before.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e :misread

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

just changed my voter registration for my move, so i can not vote for joe.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

IAMKOREA posted:

Aww jeez though, the greens don't support nuclear power. Guess I'm gonna have to hold my nose and vote for Joe "fracking rules, renewables drool" Biden.

Oh wait no I'm not! gently caress Joe Biden.

Goons, and D&D in particular, love nuclear power more than most people who work at nuclear power plants. It's crazy. I don't have any strong opinion about it but they genuinely think that the Greens being against it is completely disqualifying

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

There's no nuclear regulation in international water #lifehack

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

it would be some good lols if this were true as presented.

hunter looks like someone photoshopped a young biden to make him look sleazier than should be humanly possible

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Goons, and D&D in particular, love nuclear power more than most people who work at nuclear power plants. It's crazy.

Blame Fallout.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

hunter looks like someone photoshopped a young biden to make him look sleazier than should be humanly possible

Rob lowe in a Biden skinsuit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

He looks like a extra from a 80s film if you needed to have a coke addicted stock broker or banker character...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jewel Repetition posted:

Goons, and D&D in particular, love nuclear power more than most people who work at nuclear power plants. It's crazy. I don't have any strong opinion about it but they genuinely think that the Greens being against it is completely disqualifying

There is where i'm at. I see a place for it in moving us off fossil fuels due to its extremely low emissions/high output however, the greens not being for it is pretty whatever in the grand scheme of the greens literally being for everything I like otherwise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silicone thrills posted:

There is where i'm at. I see a place for it in moving us off fossil fuels due to its extremely low emissions/high output however, the greens not being for it is pretty whatever in the grand scheme of the greens literally being for everything I like otherwise.

:same:

Ideally most energy would be derived from renewable sources, and nuclear as a transitional energy is fine by me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
nuclear is the only power source we need, put reactors into every car

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How many new nuclear plants were built under Obama, again? You loving dinguses? God drat these people are stupid.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whoever kills a cop must be held accountable. but if a cop kills someone lol who gives a gently caress

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

imagine telling a black person to vote Jesus Christ

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Nuclear power has some upsides but the whole "The best we can do is bury the waste and put up weird signs in the hopes that some dipshit 10,000 years from now doesn't get the bright idea to dig it up" thing is somewhat soft-pitched by its advocates. But goons love it in that "I loving LOVE science!" way.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nuclear power has some upsides but the whole "The best we can do is bury the waste and put up weird signs in the hopes that some dipshit 10,000 years from now doesn't get the bright idea to dig it up" thing is somewhat soft-pitched by its advocates. But goons love it in that "I loving LOVE science!" way.

It's better than spreading the radioactivity and pollution all over our farms and water, like coal plants.

I feel like by the time we build any nuclear plants at this point it would be too late anyway, but we should've been building them this whole time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

More modern reactor models produce significantly less waste than the barrels upon barrels of green sludge that people traditionally like to think of, and also that waste can be recycled for more power generation multiple times over. Also I would contend that a bit of nuclear waste we have to figure out how to store in a remote area and keep people/animals away from is a much smaller cost to the planet than dumping fuckloads of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere generating via fossil fuels. And that's not getting even into the fact that coal plant waste is also radioactive and instead of shoving that in a barrel in a desert somewhere they just just vent that poo poo directly into the air for all of us to breath!

Everybody loves solar but the environmental impact of producing panels right now is tremendous, they need tons of rare earth minerals whose extraction and refining processes are horrible for the environment. If you're looking for the lowest immediate environmental impact for large scale generation, there is nothing that beats nuclear and it's not even remotely close.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

imagine telling a black person to vote Jesus Christ

:hmmyes:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ikanreed posted:

How the gently caress is Biden the one with the worse failson.

Describing either of the trumpsons as lesser failsons is too far.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's better than spreading the radioactivity and pollution all over our farms and water, like coal plants.

I feel like by the time we build any nuclear plants at this point it would be too late anyway, but we should've been building them this whole time.

I'm personally very glad there are less nuclear reactors regulated by the Donald J Trump Administration and managed by the Rick Perry United States Department of Energy.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Sydin posted:

More modern reactor models produce significantly less waste than the barrels upon barrels of green sludge that people traditionally like to think of, and also that waste can be recycled for more power generation multiple times over. Also I would contend that a bit of nuclear waste we have to figure out how to store in a remote area and keep people/animals away from is a much smaller cost to the planet than dumping fuckloads of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere generating via fossil fuels. And that's not getting even into the fact that coal plant waste is also radioactive and instead of shoving that in a barrel in a desert somewhere they just just vent that poo poo directly into the air for all of us to breath!

Everybody loves solar but the environmental impact of producing panels right now is tremendous, they need tons of rare earth minerals whose extraction and refining processes are horrible for the environment. If you're looking for the lowest immediate environmental impact for large scale generation, there is nothing that beats nuclear and it's not even remotely close.

this and also lost nuclear capacity is almost always backstopped by fossil fuel power.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

The Greens being against nulcear isn't a problem in itself; we could work through that discussion later. The problem is that being anti nuke tells everyone that the Greens don't actually understand the energy policies that they want to enact. Nuke is safe and relatively clean even with the piles of spent waste we're currently building up, but since they were made up of/attracting the support of woo-y new agers and the crunchy granola types they've bought into the idea that nuclear is scary and bad.

Still, it's something that can be worked out. The second big issue that I personally had with the Greens was that, just like with nuclear, they are pushing for policies that are at best anti-science. I'm looking at their stuff right now so I don't know if it still holds true, but a BIG tell against them was their support for anti-vax policies. Like what the actual gently caress guys? There's no telling if their support for actually good things would lead to meaningful change since they aren't exactly on-board with effective analysis and planning.

So yeah, it's hard for some of us to put any stock into the Greens as anything other than a convenient "gently caress you" to the dems. But hey I would rather deal with the Green's problems instead of our hosed up overlords.

Sydin posted:

It's also this. Most renewables have tremendous hidden impacts that get ignored. Wind, at least, is pretty great though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

uninterrupted posted:

I'm personally very glad there are less nuclear reactors regulated by the Donald J Trump Administration and managed by the Rick Perry United States Department of Energy.

So are you happy about the increased number of coal plants regulated by Trump and Perry? Because that is predominantly what has replaced nuclear in the US.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

whoever kills a cop must be held accountable. but if a cop kills someone lol who gives a gently caress

Due to concepts like Qualified Immunity cops to can kill and injury people without any sort of legal / financial damages to themselves.

Also most places accept the brutality of the Popo they employ to the extant that cities buy special insurance to cover victim pay-outs.

In conclusion No Joe!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sydin posted:

So are you happy about the increased number of coal plants regulated by Trump and Perry? Because that is predominantly what has replaced nuclear in the US.

I mean it's better than an equivalent number of nuclear plants (mis)managed by them

Would you live next to a Rick Perry-era nuclear power plant?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As a side note I'm actually working on some safety equipment for some nuclear plants. Nothing too exciting, just some panels designed to open when air pressure gets too high or a steam vent breaks.

I've been working on them for almost 18 months now, so I'm kinda over them, and ready to see them tested and put on a truck never to be seen again by me.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
How do you feel enabling nuclear proliferation, you monster?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
sure

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

uninterrupted posted:

I mean it's better than an equivalent number of nuclear plants (mis)managed by them

Would you live next to a Rick Perry-era nuclear power plant?

It really isn't? I'd much rather live next to a nuclear plant than a coal plant because a) the nuclear plant isn't constantly dumping tons of irradiated, carcinogenic greenhouse gasses into the air right near where I live, and b) Nuclear energy generation is far, far, FAR safer than coal and again, it's not even remotely close.

You are fearmongering about something you do not understand, sorry. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plek posted:

How do you feel enabling nuclear proliferation, you monster?

I like to keep a roof over my head and food on my plate TBH.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

The negative environmental impact of green technology, solar or otherwise, is vastly overstated, and quite frankly it's largely fossil fuel industry propaganda. Yes, there are environmental costs, as with any industry, but compared to traditional power generation they are trivial.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Okay everybody shut up about nukular please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

T-man posted:

What would Biden look like as an anime girl

No idea, but snapchat's anime filter gave me this for RBG: