Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

john kerry was a clear answer to the problem of how to run as a perceived dove in a time of extreme hawkishness. he was in a position to criticise warmongering from a position of presumably undeniable personal credibility, had the vietnam-era stripes for both dovish agitation and actual combat experience and he had solid realist/hawk chops from his later political work as a senator

the democrats were terrified of looking non-credible in the face of foreign aggression and had identified a subset of voters which, if captured, would let them win - this subset, of course, was suburban educated whites, especially women, who the democrats have been drooling after ever since because they're movable in the midterms and don't cost anything in terms of policy

of course, the republicans spent five seconds thinking about how to deal with this and then decided to deny kerry's personal credibility, making that itself a party political issue and completely undermining the entire premise of his candidacy because this is how this poo poo actually works - i've been watching mrs america and this is literally how phyllis schlafly operated back in the seventies.

i can forgive the steinem crew not getting this, but the democratic party really ought to have learned by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i feel i must say that while i support the nojoe cause to the hilt i am not an american voter and so a pledge may not be valid

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

people are watching polls and atm biden's cunning strategy of hiding in a basement while the country falls apart is reaping dividends in the polls

i suspect that this will change eventually, but biden's very lucky that covid-19 hit precisely when it did

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

atm i'm guessing that a lot of 2016 non-voters are pretty fired up, but even if covid-19 is gone by november they're not getting that sort of turnout

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am legit starting to want trump to win now just to own the libs lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

competent fascism is a contradiction in terms, but yeah if biden wins it's going to be really grim

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wait hang on a bunch of republican primary voters were just handed democratic ballots

hhow
aughhhhhh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

my friends, i have contributed to the funding of lowtax's spine and request the reinstatement of av and tags

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i honestly don't even mind that much, but i do prefer my old avatar

as far as redtexts go i've had much worse

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

funny thing is, the weeze is spending enough time reading this thread that he can export and take seriously jokes made here in his bizarre sophistry elsewhere

it really is kind of perplexing, but a lot of these types seem to be deeply invested in an idea of political discussion as falsification of certain positions, so if you can deminstrate a technical weakness of the argument being made you don't have to address the underlying points being proposed or defended

i suspect that this is a weird sort of debate club mentality, where the structure of the argument is more important than its content

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idk if it's liberalism, really, plenty of people of all mainstream persuasions do this stuff (shapiro makes a living off it, for instance), i think more than anything it's a middle-class thing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

death to america, death to the democrat party, no joe no masters

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Failed Imagineer posted:

Still don't think that debates will actually happen. Both candidates have enough disincentives and plausible deniability

trump wants lots of debates - he absolutely needs biden to get in the dirt with him and say something stupid. nobody cares much how dumb the poo poo trump says is, because everyone knows he's a colossal moron, so he can happily drag biden down at very negligible risk to himself

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

seriously, elections people have realised that everyone hates most politicians and that if they don't already hate them it's easy to manufacture such contempt that breeds hatred. this means that for the front runner, it's always best to play it safe by avoiding the spotlight as much as possible, which leads to boris johnson hiding in a fridge and to biden somehow needing more than a week to set up a podcast studio in his basement

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nojoe november

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the_steve posted:

Bernie's biggest problem is that he believes in the system and thinks he can work within it to achieve Good Things for people. Somehow, he hasn't caught on despite the system blatantly doing everything it could to stop him at every turn.

old-timers like that stay in and keep fighting for their posts for a reason

if they didn't sincerely believe that this is a way to effect positive change, they wouldn't be in parliament/congress/whatever

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is still biden's election to lose at this point, but yeah Events could very plausibly place him in a very nasty position and neither he nor his campaign are remotely prepared to react, even as flailingly as trump is

and yet there is no reason to vote for him

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i imagine that harris is also going to be spending a lot of effort getting her own loyalists in place for a future run, potentially displacing some of the obama or clinton people

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah but if you're veep (especially to this president) for a few years you can build your own machinery rather than have to rely on the goodwill of external power brokers - it depends how serious she is about taking over the clinton apparatus and accepting the constraints that go with it, i guess

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo the best way to view an individual vote is as a positive statement of support for something, since there is no way that an individual vote will ever make any kind of difference

in this mindset, you don't have to choose! if you can't honestly say that you support some candiate, you can just cast a blank vote or not go at all

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

NY internal polling being wonky would explain the reports of otherwise inexplicable ad purchases in the state

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I tried to read Hegel but i must just be too stupid because I cannot grok it at all, even with supplementary texts telling me what to look for

however I believe I did pick up his most important thesis, which is to not vote for Joseph R. “Joe” Biden

reading hegel is like wading through fog

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1299025404729200640?s=19

God's, it would be hilarious if Joe had to debate sober.

oh my loving god lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

biden is leaning hard into the affable old chap role, which he plays pretty well. i'm sure that he'll be able to come off as genial and aloof for a couple of years, at least