Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
garageband is better than it has any right to be, and that was my experience back in the og ipad days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kernel Sanders posted:

is “band-in-a-box” type software still a thing? I’d love to just jot down a chord progression, pick a style and have a half decent backing track to noodle over without thinking about arrangement.

garageband. an old iphone or ipad oughta be able to do this for (relatively) cheap

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kernel Sanders posted:

is “band-in-a-box” type software still a thing? I’d love to just jot down a chord progression, pick a style and have a half decent backing track to noodle over without thinking about arrangement.

ableton live has a huge library of these kinds of things too. i don't have a lot of experience working like that though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
garageband is insanely good. i use ableton when im really writing music, but GB is great for just jamming out on the couch or practicing bass with something more interesting than a metronome

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

garageband is insanely good. i use ableton when im really writing music, but GB is great for just jamming out on the couch or practicing bass with something more interesting than a metronome

this is the way

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I use Microsoft songsmith for all my backing tracks

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the og band-in-a-box is also still going strong and has an insane database of nashville session musicians playing to every chord change

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

the og band-in-a-box is also still going strong and has an insane database of nashville session musicians playing to every chord change

could you name it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the software is literally called BIAB, put out by PG Music

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gotcha, thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the lady that does these videos evidently uses Rocksmith for the backing tracks and welp im sold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DraQWqPJ8aw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm maybe I should look into something because I find programming drums tedious as heck and I am sure my music could do with more than two similar instruments

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Ruffian Price posted:

holy poo poo, im an idiot for not checking it out. looks amazing!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am *this* close to finishing the rig. I'm pretty pleased with how much connnectivity I have a what it lets me do. In fact connection wise im sorted, I just need to take the dive into the battery to get it running fully off battery.

Novation Circuit Tracks - drum machine basically and sets the tempo.

which has back and forward midi connections with :

Hydrasynth - synth obv

the circuit has 2 midi sequencer channels. one can drive the hydrasynth. the hydrasynths notes are also sent back to the circuit so if I want I can record the notes from the synth on the sequencer

and also I've got a macbook pro and im running ableton live

I have a 2 channel audio interface that takes inputs from both the synth and drum machine. its all mixed and sent to the amp through ableton live

I got a usb hub and I am amazed it works at all, I have both the synth and drum machine connected via usb as well into ableton live, so live gets all the midi notes from the drum machine and the synth too. midi over usb is great

this means the synth is either a synth or a midi keyboard,

the drum machine has pads I can basically switch them over to being an 8x4 midi keyboard, and drive vsts in ableton. one midi channel goes to synth, one goes to ableton, both can be sequenced)

because I pipe everything thru ableton, means I can apply compression etc too. I know gently caress all about compression so I just use guitar rig 6 lol and just use a vc 2a (no amp or cab simulation) on the master and idk it works I suppose

this whole setup gives me quite a few ways of making music, which is ideal, it's quite a small rig. I could perhaps ditch the synth and just have a midi keyboard, because honestly the analog V VST from arturia is pretty fucken good. thousands of presets so kinda just find a whole bunch that work and no fiddling. I do have a lot of fun making sounds with the synth and its super powerful, but I also have tons of enjoyment just playing keyboard with an organ or oiano sound out of the arturia vst which tbh sound great. plus itd mean carrying around far less $$ of equipment to a remote site on a street corner etc

this 2015 mbp handles it. as long as I close the VST windows, otherwise it pushes too hard and breaks up. im amaing how well this old beast handles it all tbh, given I have multiple instances of guitar rig and analog V going at the same time.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 30, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
super cute mini controller came in

so with my midipad for pattern triggers and this to, i dunno, hit pads or something, i can do some neat one man band stuff on my bass or guitar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo. love one man band stuff

I’ve been doug some stuff i’m super proud of lately. the trick will be working on it, usually i have little patience to fiddle with something and improve it but i really should

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda proud of this, especially some moments.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7060067625153449217

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

been listening to the new Ghost track a bunch and god drat this is the kind of music I wish I could make

is it fast or fancy? nope. is it technically super complex? nope. does it have super progressive introspective lyrics and composition? nope. is it catchy and driving as all hell? you bet your rear end

if Hells Bells were made in 2022 it would sound like this

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Nice. What kind of stuff are you looking to do?

I sing pretty much all the time with random stuff. Jason Mraz is probably one of my favorites for it. I've been slowly working on getting my pitch just right. I tend to be ~5 cents flat. Also like to sing Ben Folds stuff a lot. First (only) maroon 5 album is also great for it.

post it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
passed the treshold where I decided to tell my synth

fucken love this thing. it's taught me a lot, the biggest lesson of all being that I love playing keyboard

I have this thing setup and it takes a second to switch between it being its own synth and just a midi keyboard for a hammon organ vst on my laptop and I am generally ashamed to say I use the synth as a synth less and less.

I think its mostly that I love playing music, and I do love knob twiddling but not as much as just being lost in playing it and well anyway

now its for sale and where th gently caress I put the box I have a sinking feeling I trashed the box :(a

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

passed the treshold where I decided to tell my synth

fucken love this thing. it's taught me a lot, the biggest lesson of all being that I love playing keyboard

I have this thing setup and it takes a second to switch between it being its own synth and just a midi keyboard for a hammon organ vst on my laptop and I am generally ashamed to say I use the synth as a synth less and less.

I think its mostly that I love playing music, and I do love knob twiddling but not as much as just being lost in playing it and well anyway

now its for sale and where th gently caress I put the box I have a sinking feeling I trashed the box :(a

not sure why you need to sell the synth? unless you need the money or it is taking up space, it's fine to keep it

it's ok to switch around how you use your gear every once and a while and even quite frequently actually, because it's got so much to do with how you are feeling at the moment and what sort of things you want to do

for example, i have a korg microx sitting in a box somewhere but that is fine, because i know that it's temporary and i will come back to it because it has some kickin rad sounds

you might like the hammond vst more now, but you're still going to need a keyboard to play it on, and maybe at some point you may start layering hammond and the synth or something more advanced

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a few things but mostly get some money out of it and move to a cheaper overall rig

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7062310961171942657

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

its a few things but mostly get some money out of it and move to a cheaper overall rig

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7062310961171942657

hammond and sleepy dog was not the combination i knew i was looking for, until now

think i finally learned to play the lick from mystery train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpc1yYNGFc

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I will at some point. I'm getting ready to move across the country at the moment for a new job so my setup is slowly being disassembled.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've also still been slowly working on my boss battle thing or whatever the hell it is now. I've done the second pass of probably 80% of it. Turns out it takes a while when it's so long.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Woohoo! Got six lovely tracks done for February Album Writing Month. Only eight more to go.

I paid for file hosting this year, so they can be found at https://files.fawmers.org/FAWM_2022/spacehoers420 if anyone actually wants to hear it. I'll come up with song/album titles later.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 12, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey nice! you'll be my bg music for work tomorrow.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

been really busy getting ready to move. new job here i come, which means making some cool hardware for audio stuff, but that'll still be a bit off. in the mean time i had this stuck in my head so i threw it together in around 20 minutes. really simple stuff

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/20-minute-thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sold my synth and went to get a replacement and had in mind a novation launchkey, and wanted to browse and generally look at midi controller things but got distracted looking at electric pianos and ended up getting a full 88 key hammer action casio electric piano lol

it’s long.. but not much else to it and feels nice to play and will be used 99% of time for midi out although the onboard sounds might be really nice anyway

it’s interesting how much my playing tastes have changed since getting the synth, and how much it moved on from synth with keyboard to keyboard primarily

anyway let’s see how long i get used to hammer action feel and if I actually end up preferring it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man this keyboard is long lol

but taking advantage of "instrument rack" in ableton allows me to split it, and cheat by putting chord/scale midi effects on the bottom instrument so im playing one note chords lol and playing lead with my right hand..

this thing owns. the onboard sounds are quite good and its nice to have an all-in-one instrument I could take around and play by itself too... hmmm

e: I'm using ableton lite but the instrument rack thing allows you to make incredibly complex single channels (seeing as you can put instrument racks inside instrument racks) and easily turn on or off different instruments so the channel limit ceases to affect what I am doing

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 13, 2022

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
holy poo poo, I just adjusted my guitar strap, lifting my guitar from balls height to nipple height and suddenly I can play more than 5 minutes without my wrist trying to explode

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i look like a goddamn doofus but who gives a poo poo, this changes everything

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kernel Sanders posted:

holy poo poo, I just adjusted my guitar strap, lifting my guitar from balls height to nipple height and suddenly I can play more than 5 minutes without my wrist trying to explode

Kernel Sanders posted:

i look like a goddamn doofus but who gives a poo poo, this changes everything

these forums are such a black hole that they have apparently opened a portal to somewhere far far back in time and space where people first discovered progressive rock

anyway congrats on the level up. just make cool music - looks are for posers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tom morello makes it work

I can play positioned like like hetfield but tbf im not very good.

unlike my keyboarding https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSeWFnebc/

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

echinopsis posted:

tom morello makes it work

wow, you’re right. i never noticed it before. all I could thing of was early Beatles george harrison.

this is very nice, reminds my of bo hansson :3:

Kernel Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 14, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i play with my instruments real high up, it's really important especially for things like >4 string basses because you have to have hand position discipline or you'll destroy every tendon and ligament you have

I'll never look "cool" playing anything so the low slung thing isnt worth it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kernel Sanders posted:

this is very nice, reminds my of bo hansson :3:

thanks! also I had never heard of that person so thanks for sharing. i’ve been playing music thinking I must find some of the same style to listen to but wasn’t sure what to look for, thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ibanez put their 50th anniversary series page up and theyre gorgeous i want so many of them

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/special/50th_Anniversary/50-guitars.html

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

forgot about this thread. thought it would be appropriate to share what i'm making. i don't know what to call it. maybe weird, ambient electronic? sorry if it's a bit ear piercing, or sounds like squeaky sneakers on a basketball court

https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/s...=social_sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kernel Sanders posted:

made me remember House MD of all things making fun of people destroying their wrists with low slung playing in a patient vignette