Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ball height guitar playing is for when you've got so much gently caress-off money you can pay a doctor to harvest shiny new wrists from a poor person to replace your hollowed out brittle ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ambient/weird/experimental

just finished this one today:
https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/remembering-is-all-thats-left

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 19, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
had another GAS attack

125 ameribucks for a brand new jag clone!

Low stakes, and the factory has pretty good reviews (located in vietnam, run by koreans that quit other factories to start their own)

will be here tuesday.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my pocket operators out and set up on the desk. dang, i used to be pretty decent, at least at the PO-32, but I have forgotten how to use them. oh well i'll re-learn

it's really fun having my stuff set up to output directly from the interface without needing to open ableton. of course i have a ton of really fun synths in there that i can use, but my computer is not really up to the task a lot of the time these days, so it's really cool to be able to jam out mostly without using the computer

post the guitar links jonny

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

got my pocket operators out and set up on the desk. dang, i used to be pretty decent, at least at the PO-32, but I have forgotten how to use them. oh well i'll re-learn

it's really fun having my stuff set up to output directly from the interface without needing to open ableton. of course i have a ton of really fun synths in there that i can use, but my computer is not really up to the task a lot of the time these days, so it's really cool to be able to jam out mostly without using the computer

even older computers can multitrack audio quite easily. my hardware setup that I loved was my computer, audio interface, 5x5 midi interface, and equipment all hooked up. when i pressed play on the computer, it also pressed play on all my hardware sequencers, then i could change notes in the loops and tweak it however i wanted it. since it was continually playing and my DAW was providing the tempo, i could just hit the record button while it was playing whenever i liked what i was hearing.

when i felt like i got enough, i had a timeline with recorded sections speckled about. the total time i recorded on and off might be an hour, but the total recorded time could have been 20 minutes. i could then easily splice out the parts i wanted in the end, since it’s recorded to a grid.

this is waaaay more fun to me personally, than writing in notes and stuff meticulously.

i’m now a computer person writing my own music software, developing it, and getting distracted by making stuff with it, but i work very much the same by making things happen by chance and experimentation, instead of doing painstakingly tedious things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

IYV is often misspelled "ivy" so that's kind of a search term too

https://www.amazon.com/IYV/s?k=IYV

aw gently caress its down to $119 lol

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

IYV is often misspelled "ivy" so that's kind of a search term too

https://www.amazon.com/IYV/s?k=IYV

aw gently caress its down to $119 lol

they'll give you back that $6 if it matters to you at all

Achmed Jones posted:

your comp is probably fine. even my 2012 macbook air can run reaper fine and have several synth tracks and whatnot going at the same time. only things that really need a lot of horsepower are highly sampled instruments like orchestra stuff. and you can always freeze tracks which renders them not in real time then just plays the audio file of them if it gets to be too much for your comp.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the links jonny!

it's not an issue of "is it possible to use my computer." of course it is. the issue is that it's annoying and unpleasant to do so, so id rather not. it is important to me that i can make music without having to switch monitor and usb inputs over to my personal computer and then mess with it being slow as hell. this means i can play around when everything is routed through my work computer and it owns

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks for the links jonny!

it's not an issue of "is it possible to use my computer." of course it is. the issue is that it's annoying and unpleasant to do so, so id rather not. it is important to me that i can make music without having to switch monitor and usb inputs over to my personal computer and then mess with it being slow as hell. this means i can play around when everything is routed through my work computer and it owns

oh well carry on then :tipshat:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that was a lot saltier than i intended, sorry about that! i do appreciate the advice :)

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i have a track that has a lot of dynamics i want to preserve for the most part, but it needs to be squashed to make it louder, because right now it’s way too quiet. the thing is, that’s not multitrack.. just one stereo track. i’m guessing a multiband compressor on the master with a -0.1 dB limiter will be my friends.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Up to track 12. Working on track 13 right now, but I've decided that I'm not going to use the Beatstep Pro on track 13, and track 14 will be a live hardware synth jam (Beatstep Pro included) which will likely also have a parrot or two in the audience with commentary. :parrot:

(https://files.fawmers.org/FAWM_2022/spacehoers420/)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

ambient/weird/experimental

just finished this one today:
https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/remembering-is-all-thats-left
i like this

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

toiletbrush posted:

i like this

thank you!! & for checking it out :h:

im_sorry posted:

Up to track 12. Working on track 13 right now, but I've decided that I'm not going to use the Beatstep Pro on track 13, and track 14 will be a live hardware synth jam (Beatstep Pro included) which will likely also have a parrot or two in the audience with commentary. :parrot:

(https://files.fawmers.org/FAWM_2022/spacehoers420/)

i've been enjoying these. i also like how i can play more than one at a time. i don't know anything really about Sonar X3, but i remember the name Sonar. i'm guessing it's like a sequencer with a piano roll and built-in instruments. i'm getting Plaid vibes a bit on some tracks. that just may be me. 07 is awesome, and dig that beat which sounds like 3/4

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Good Sphere posted:

i've been enjoying these. i also like how i can play more than one at a time. i don't know anything really about Sonar X3, but i remember the name Sonar. i'm guessing it's like a sequencer with a piano roll and built-in instruments. i'm getting Plaid vibes a bit on some tracks. that just may be me. 07 is awesome, and dig that beat which sounds like 3/4

Thanks for checking it out! Sonar X3 was the DAW Cakewalk put out, but Gibson sold Cakewalk to another company, and I switched to using Reaper. If you've never worked with digital audio workstations before, you can download a free trial of Reaper at https://www.reaper.fm/ and watch some tutorials on Youtube to get the basics. There are tons of free instruments in VST format you can download, and the website https://bedroomproducersblog.com/ helped me a lot when I was starting out.

I've been messing with the time signature on some of the tracks, as it's something I've never really done before, and I like how it's been turning out. Someone in Goontube is helping me come up with song titles, which rocks, because I'm not very good at it. :D They called track 7 "Escape the Metaverse", which totally fits.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

im_sorry posted:

Thanks for checking it out! Sonar X3 was the DAW Cakewalk put out, but Gibson sold Cakewalk to another company, and I switched to using Reaper. If you've never worked with digital audio workstations before, you can download a free trial of Reaper at https://www.reaper.fm/ and watch some tutorials on Youtube to get the basics. There are tons of free instruments in VST format you can download, and the website https://bedroomproducersblog.com/ helped me a lot when I was starting out.

I've been messing with the time signature on some of the tracks, as it's something I've never really done before, and I like how it's been turning out. Someone in Goontube is helping me come up with song titles, which rocks, because I'm not very good at it. :D They called track 7 "Escape the Metaverse", which totally fits.

interesting! i don't know much about Cakewalk, and it's other programs, even though it was my first midi arranger in the 90's. it was overly complicated to me though, and i used a much simpler one to scribe notation called Music Time. i actually use Reaper now! for a long time i was using MOTU's Digital Performer, since like 2005. thank you for the link!

something i like doing on the model cycles was making each machine a different pattern length. almost like a different time signature, and play them all at the same time. a kaleidoscope of patterns take effect

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Can i post one?

this one sticks in my head still

https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/crumbling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that was good.

this is not:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7067869620144737538

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

actually you’re wrong. this is my kind of jam, and it sounds lusciously serene

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Sphere posted:

actually you’re wrong. this is my kind of jam, and it sounds lusciously serene

:D thankyou

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

absolutely. no soundcloud? should i download tiktok to be cool?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tiktok is just an easy way for me to upload things

https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/ducktown

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

tiktok is just an easy way for me to upload things

https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/ducktown

thanks got it. how do you make the wave of a long track so short on soundcloud?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I did some luthier poo poo today.

was getting some fret buzz on a couple frets on the new guitar and there were one or two nicks i could feel when doing bends. So let's do a fret level!

* First, unstring it.
* Now we need to flatten the neck. You take your straightedge:

And tighten or loosen the truss rod until a single sheet of paper barely doesn't slip between the straightedge and fretboard between the 7th and 8th frets.

It's flat now!

* next up is we color in all the frets with a Sharpie. This is an indicator of material removal when we use our next toy, a leveling tool:

Simply a chunk of 1x2 aluminum channel that you stick self-adhesive sandpaper on.

Now we slowly and lightly sand the tops of all the frets until we've just kissed the crown of all of them - when the sharpie gets sanded off. We start with 600 grit and as things get close switch to 1000, then 2000.

* Now it's time to crown them. Some of the frets (the high ones) will be very flatspotted right now. So we use a fret file:

Re-sharpie everything and now we look for the opposite ink removal. What we're doing here is shaping the fret back to a hemispherical cross-section, so we look for the sharpie line on top to gradually get thinner until it's as thin as a hair, then we do one more stroke. The cross section now perfectly matches the profile of the file.

* Now our frets are level and profiled right, but a little rough. Now we take our micromesh pads, which are foam backed sandpaper to even out pressure:

And again start with 600, then 1000, then 2000, then 3500. This will put a mirror shine on them and take out any roughness. Smooth as glass.

* Now our nut height is a little off, so we re-string it and tension to ballpark playing tension. Fret at the 3rd, and look at the gap between the 1st fret and string. It should be right around 0.5mm. If it's too high (stock ones almost always are) we pull the nut off and sand it on the leveling beam until we're dead on or just a bit over.

* Final treatment is a good wipedown and then oiling the rosewood fretboard with lemon oil, to make the raw pores of the rosewood happy and clean off any grime or leftover grit.

* Now we restring one last time after fixing the nut in place with ONE drop of super glue, adjust the truss rod for 0.25mm gap between strings and the 8th fret when we use a capo at the first and 18th frets, and we're done.

And it plays so much better now! I was able to drop the action almost a full millimeter after doing this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Sphere posted:

thanks got it. how do you make the wave of a long track so short on soundcloud?

oh I hosed that up. it’s a sound file with a min of sound and 8 mins of silence (or something) and it must not display then nothing

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

oh I hosed that up. it’s a sound file with a min of sound and 8 mins of silence (or something) and it must not display then nothing

ah i got it. it would be neat to condense it, because it looks nice, but of course that would probably be overly complicated, and not many users would be looking for that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
was going back through poo poo i used to listen to in college and had such a good time with this i figured some of y'all might enjoy hearing it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBCbRfLP58

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Just finished the February album. I ended up calling it "Escape the Metaverse", and having an AI generate a cover based on the title with the random number seed of 42069.

https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/album/escape-the-metaverse-2

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I got an OP-1 and am finally loving making little pieces of digital music. I got it because my poor little heart had adored it since 2016, but also because it is a sunk cost fallacy -- I have to use it, otherwise why did I shell out the money?! And it is working, and it really does make intuitive sense to me :)

My one difficulty, though, I think, is that layering and sectioning(?) is a problem. I can make a nice looping thing that sounds nice, and maybe add a complimentary piece to it, but adding something to a drum beat is a bit difficult and it tends to not fit well, and I can't really take my music beyond that section?

I kind of want to do a Music Theory, however it's mostly physical-music focused and goes over things I can't really map to the instruments I know, nor the OP-1 :(

Any help?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I got an OP-1 and am finally loving making little pieces of digital music. I got it because my poor little heart had adored it since 2016, but also because it is a sunk cost fallacy -- I have to use it, otherwise why did I shell out the money?! And it is working, and it really does make intuitive sense to me :)

My one difficulty, though, I think, is that layering and sectioning(?) is a problem. I can make a nice looping thing that sounds nice, and maybe add a complimentary piece to it, but adding something to a drum beat is a bit difficult and it tends to not fit well, and I can't really take my music beyond that section?

I kind of want to do a Music Theory, however it's mostly physical-music focused and goes over things I can't really map to the instruments I know, nor the OP-1 :(

Any help?

add a bass drum beat synchronized to every note that you feel is stressed. don't listen to the whole result too much while you are going through the track. once finished, fade the bass drum track all the way to silence, and start fading it back in while the track plays. see how you feel about the result, if you don't like it: trash it

edit: its also worth to mess with repitching the bass drum track so that it fits in more with the track. as always, its best to trust your feelings about it

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

alexandriao posted:

Any help?

My advice is to seriously not think, and try to see if constraining your elements and ways of doing things help. Sounds strange, but I feel art is all about finding out what you can do with certain limitations.

You don’t necessarily have to know music theory. I often choose 5 notes across different tracks and just start inputting them randomly and keeping what I like. A bunch of parts can be made, and you might surprise yourself how interestingly they transition together. And then you could do a “key change” just by choosing another 5 notes and making new parts.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
bandcamp's been acquired by Epic games

L A M E

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m conflicted about epic games because they seem overall to be a bit of a lovely company

but they also make some incredible stuff accessible to masses in a way never before possible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Sphere posted:

but I feel art is all about finding out what you can do with certain limitations.

I think this is true in some cases, and not in others, some of my favourite music has been from bands who at time had all the resources money could buy

but it’s probably true for artists finding their feet. I leapt forward when I started playing a “true instrument” rather than sequencing stuff on a DAW, but thats just me and for some people the sequencer is the true instrument. but in a general sense, restricting the instrument-choice space to focus on the notes the instrument plays is a good thing.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zam Wesell posted:

bandcamp's been acquired by Epic games

L A M E

post avatar title combo

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i'm in the middle of getting ready to move across the country but took some time to play with music and whatnot

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/another-thing-wip

prob add better drums and actual dynamics at some point but whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7072691257763532033

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWfMI4CVFI

this guy is the anti-beato and im really struggling to find someone to share the experience with

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kernel Sanders posted:

this guy is the anti-beato and im really struggling to find someone to share the experience with

i'm a finnerty fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Stringent posted:

i'm a finnerty fan

🫂