Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It was revealed to me in a dream that I should make a 4 track EP called “Amen’s Warehouse”

Also the Lyn Collins “Think” break is a good second to the Amen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
don't forget the tramen, as we call it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9oQeW7owoI

Not an amen!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

in a shocking development, i made more music

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/as-the-days-go-by

this was the WIP from before. i think it's done now, and one of my favs

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
just got this thing and it's pretty great

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/wait-a-minute

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/eeeny-ooony-wanah

I seem to be incapable of stopping.. just when I think I'm all out of ideas and done with this poo poo, I'll go on my computer, start looking for a MIDI drumbeat to start with, and more crappy music is born unto this Earth. Oh well.. I guess at least I have *something* to show for all this wasted time and money... even if it's not very good...

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 2, 2022

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

drum and bass is an exceedingly big tent
I've been loving jump-up the last few years, a lot of it is a bit too jazz-hands but I love how cheeky and playful it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0pbpyGf98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-twwEU-1fk

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm trying to learn some old In Flames songs and I can't figure out if these are hard or I'm just out of practice.
It's probably the latter tbh.
Still, haven't challenged myself to learn a whole song in ages so this is fun and I am really appreciating the warp in Cubase so I can slow down tricky bits to learn them

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

I've been loving jump-up the last few years, a lot of it is a bit too jazz-hands but I love how cheeky and playful it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0pbpyGf98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-twwEU-1fk

reminds me of katharsys in a good way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsNPOumALLs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

in a shocking development, i made more music

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/as-the-days-go-by

this was the WIP from before. i think it's done now, and one of my favs

This is actually really good.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i made this last week, but since weeklybeats has this rule that you shouldn't really publish tracks before they become available on there (i.e. each monday morning) i forgot i had it even

really happy about how it turned out https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/2022-2552a

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Been doing a lot of this lately. And I wrote a song about it!! https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/screaming-into-the-void

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Finally took the time to figure out why the hell JACK wasn't picking up my MIDI controller. Of all things, the goddamn cord was the culprit. Now I can start noodling again, got a whole bunch of unfamiliar instruments to mess with and a new DAW, should be fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

this was stuck in my head today for some reason, so I put this together in like an hour

may expand on it more, may not, who knows

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/simple-wip-thing/s-h7NLR1LM5h4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was feeling lame about having sold my synth but then discovered the newer smaller version of the same thing and I got it and drat I forgot how much good polyphonic aftertouch is. it’s so expressive in a way a boring piano isn’t

I’m so bad at chopping and changing gear, but I do currently have a rig that meets all my requirements. now there are no excuses

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s:

turns out that composing without an explicit plan or at least some sort of direction actually makes making music a lot harder than it should be. without it, it’s unclear what any next step should or even can be. yes there are no rules, i know, but for someone with a deconstructive/problem-solving mindset like mine structure and guidance are still integral.

if you asked me what any of my tracks are, i’m just gonna shrug. that actually reduces my confidence in them and means i don’t represent myself very well. for me, music always tells some sort of basic story - you don’t need words to speak. it can be as simple as an i-am or i-want song. and i’m not hearing that in any of my works…

maybe the best way for me to make music is to go in with a plan. some sort of outline, or something.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
try starting with a reference track, something you like, and analyze its structure, where it has drops, builds, how it progresses, when elements switch in or out, where the energy is, etc. & try to recreate something like it, but with your own sounds. eventually you'll kind of internalize this knowledge but starting out it can be rough, esp since there's so many genres of music to play around with and they all have different rules and different ways to break those rules. it def doesn't have to be a 1:1 copy but knowing where other artists put these things and how they work in the context of a single track or a longer DJ mix can help you find what you're looking for

idk, im not really a teacher so i can't convey the "how" very well. in the end it just came down to figuring out how to make the same kind of music i like listening to

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the problem there is that what I make doesn’t naturally fall into a genre, and that’s the core of my anxiety. despite wanting to be unique and valuable I also really don’t do well outside of a prescribed framework, but my compositional approach is rarely any more structured than “idk it sounded nice”. that and my personal favorites (not the same as biggest influences) don’t really have explicit genres either, or at least kinda move around a lot.

maybe it’s too early for me to go freeform, and it’d behoove me to work within specific genres first. since my instrument is the synthesizer, my genres would include techno, house, dnb, synthpop, and industrial. (i guess that means my genre is Electronic? which is vague as hell.) I suppose I could start learning piano for real again, too.

also I still don’t know the difference between techno and house

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 15, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I tend to think of house as having more "real" sounding instruments mixed in with it whereas techno is generally more synthetic.
This is probably totally wrong.
The only house subgenre I have liked so far is hard house and that's got barely any "real instruments" in it so I've already proven myself wrong.

I also associate vocals (whether sung or sampled) more with house than techno

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hope graph doesnt find this post bc whatever i say will be wrong

house is descended from disco and yeah more live song-based and natural samples / vocals
techno came out of detroit when a bunch of kids got Roland 303/808/909's cause they flopped in their original market (backing tracks for rockers) and were supercheap
also techno has more influence from beep boop pioneers like kraftwerk etc

however there is instrumental house and techno with vocals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
techno and house are exactly the same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you're not going to engage in serious takes here im not going to contribute what knowledge i do have

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

house is samplers and techno is vsts and analog modules qed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're not going to engage in serious takes here im not going to contribute what knowledge i do have

my opinion on electronic music doesn’t really matter much but to me house and techno are similar enough in effect that I personally categorise them together as the same. ie they’re totally interchangeable

this is not me trying to be contrarian, it’s just how I feel about the place this music has in my life and what purpose it serves

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
then phrase it somehing like "i havent gotten an understanding of the differences between house and techno" instead of sweeping declarations like that. saying poo poo like 'house and techno are the same' erases the efforts and art of like a million members of the queer and black communities, respectively, with a fair amount of crossover between the two. they are extremely soaked in their founding culture, its not just us nerds doing beep boops in front of a computer. we will always be guests of both scenes.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 15, 2022

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i hope graph doesnt find this post bc whatever i say will be wrong

house is descended from disco and yeah more live song-based and natural samples / vocals
techno came out of detroit when a bunch of kids got Roland 303/808/909's cause they flopped in their original market (backing tracks for rockers) and were supercheap
also techno has more influence from beep boop pioneers like kraftwerk etc

however there is instrumental house and techno with vocals

it’s wild that the 303’s commercial failure is the whole reason we have the “acid sound”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

then phrase it somehing like "i havent gotten an understanding of the differences between house and techno" instead of sweeping declarations like that. saying poo poo like 'house and techno are the same' erases the efforts and art of like a million members of the queer and black communities, respectively. they are extremely soaked in their founding culture, its not just us nerds doing beep boops in front of a computer. we will always be guests of both scenes.

well that is certain an enlightening view of the topic

I can’t say I entirely agree, on some level, the personal engagement a person has with music can be utterly disconnected from the origins and culture it came from, and their experience is valid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jonny 290 posted:

then phrase it somehing like "i havent gotten an understanding of the differences between house and techno" instead of sweeping declarations like that. saying poo poo like 'house and techno are the same' erases the efforts and art of like a million members of the queer and black communities, respectively, with a fair amount of crossover between the two. they are extremely soaked in their founding culture, its not just us nerds doing beep boops in front of a computer. we will always be guests of both scenes.

i had a vague notion of the latter but i somehow missed the former, i need to investigate this wtf am i not getting

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Jonny’s right, like all music, we stole it from black people

if you haven’t delved deep into the history and evolution of electronic music def take some time to research it, there’s so so much

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah, when white guys pick up cheap instruments that no one else is really using at the time you end up with Korn and uhhhhhhhh

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

to me house and techno are similar enough in effect

then i can only conclude that you've listened to superficial variants of both

it doesn't mean they can't blend or borrow elements from another but a good thing to keep in mind is that both were formed by where they originated - techno being machine music from the motor city, house from being the warehouse where disco got stripped down to its essentials

it's both four to the floor but really different

obligatory opinionated reference

genres are meaningless but getting down to the individual song (or even section level) of things is just so tedious. if you don't have a linnaeus, you'll have to invent one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what is music for?

surely the answer to this question is subjective

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

the problem there is that what I make doesn’t naturally fall into a genre, and that’s the core of my anxiety. despite wanting to be unique and valuable I also really don’t do well outside of a prescribed framework, but my compositional approach is rarely any more structured than “idk it sounded nice”. that and my personal favorites (not the same as biggest influences) don’t really have explicit genres either, or at least kinda move around a lot.

maybe it’s too early for me to go freeform, and it’d behoove me to work within specific genres first. since my instrument is the synthesizer, my genres would include techno, house, dnb, synthpop, and industrial. (i guess that means my genre is Electronic? which is vague as hell.) I suppose I could start learning piano for real again, too.

also I still don’t know the difference between techno and house

here are some genres which have things to do with synthesizers https://music.ishkur.com/

asking the difference between techno and house are like trying to categorize beer into two buckets based on taste. i.e. it's a completely misguided question since there is so much variety in those genres as you will see in the above link

regarding the anxiety, i really suggest reading the dennis desantis book (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25168710-making-music-74-creative-strategies-for-electronic-music-producers)

it has like 3 broad sections, with a bunch of simple strategies that have to do with:
1. starting out a track
2. progressing on a track
3. finishing a track

so if you say that you are lacking structure, then this book can give you a bunch of frameworks to operate in

at worst, if you try out these things you will add some tricks and tips to your mental toolbox, and that's always useful to have so that when you are in the creative mood, you don't get stuck on "how do i do this"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

by the way, does anyone else feel like acid jazz is a massive well poisoning psyop and the genre was created only to fill it with the most horrid poo poo rear end crap, in order to block humanity from ascending to the next level upon hearing the true form of what acid jazz could be?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

your posts are acid jazz?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

your posts are acid jazz?

:weed:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ffffffffuck yes

im gonna go devour a book for the first time in like i think a few years actually, that's kinda sad. also

4lokos basilisk posted:

by the way, does anyone else feel like acid jazz is a massive well poisoning psyop and the genre was created only to fill it with the most horrid poo poo rear end crap, in order to block humanity from ascending to the next level upon hearing the true form of what acid jazz could be?

ive gotten pretty well exposed to acid house, dnb, breakbeat, etc, and i still dont know what the gently caress acid jazz is supposed to be

weatherchannelcore?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh and if we're talking the role of communities in musical genres we can't forget industrial

oh lord we cannot

i suggest you all read up on it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

here are some genres which have things to do with synthesizers https://music.ishkur.com/

ok going through this more i am even more solidly convinced that my genre is Nondescript Whatever

and frankly i don't think it's entirely my fault because jesus christ what a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

ok going through this more i am even more solidly convinced that my genre is Nondescript Whatever

and frankly i don't think it's entirely my fault because jesus christ what a mess

i mean the timescale on that site goes to 2010s, we are 10 years after that which to me means that the explosion of microgenres now is even more fractalific than it shows there

however genres are just labels, just do your thing and dont worry too much about it as long as you feel good doing it

if you want a framework to exist in, then there are plenty of ideas in that book (and it's not so much of a book than a collection of 1 page tricks to try)