Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jesus christ ive been owned just one sentence in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

i mean the timescale on that site goes to 2010s, we are 10 years after that which to me means that the explosion of microgenres now is even more fractalific than it shows there

however genres are just labels, just do your thing and dont worry too much about it as long as you feel good doing it

if you want a framework to exist in, then there are plenty of ideas in that book (and it's not so much of a book than a collection of 1 page tricks to try)

hell those tricks work for me!!!

and yeah…when it comes down to it all I just don’t have confidence in what I produce and my method of production. that’s a bigger issue

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

hell those tricks work for me!!!

and yeah…when it comes down to it all I just don’t have confidence in what I produce and my method of production. that’s a bigger issue

there are two countermeasures for not having confidence imo:
1. keep making stuff, keep getting better (make sure you enjoy the process itself too)
2. leave some time until you listen to your own stuff again, like on the order of months and even years.

you may be surprised when you set your horrid wip playlist on shuffle and wait what the hell did i make that, wow that's actually good ahh yeah this part needs to go though

and the only way to have a wip playlist is to make some crap

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i made some more music, hope that's ok for this thread :v:

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/might-as-well-enjoy-it

just something somewhat chillish I guess?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

so one of the recommendations in the book was to listen to some music you wouldn’t normally listen to

I thought of some band I’ve never heard anything by and ended up checking out this track by the prodigy

https://youtu.be/YV78vobCyIo

anyway that was a complete failure because this song fuckin slaps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm stoked that you enjoy it but really have you never seen Hackers? im not judging just fascinated

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
matter of fact yeah. this is my recommendation to you. go listen to the full hackers soundtrack

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i made some more music, hope that's ok for this thread :v:

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/might-as-well-enjoy-it

just something somewhat chillish I guess?

oooo nice n chill

I like that higher pitched plucky sound for what appears to be the main melody, what is that exactly? yes it’s a guitar but how

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm stoked that you enjoy it but really have you never seen Hackers? im not judging just fascinated

no I’ll have to see if any vtubers have done a watch along of it

Jonny 290 posted:

matter of fact yeah. this is my recommendation to you. go listen to the full hackers soundtrack

sure

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

so one of the recommendations in the book was to listen to some music you wouldn’t normally listen to

I thought of some band I’ve never heard anything by and ended up checking out this track by the prodigy

The acid line in this song is one of my all time faves, it's so hype

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean yeah listen to the hackers soundtrack, it's really good

but also just watch hackers, it owns

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > makin music thread: just watch hackers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that tracks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

help how do you stop bopping to all the parts you have so far on loop instead of making more changes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i have the book yes but i just really like how it sounds already

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

actually the more im listening to it the more i hate it gently caress THIS IS USELESS ah well imma go eat dinner

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

oooo nice n chill

I like that higher pitched plucky sound for what appears to be the main melody, what is that exactly? yes it’s a guitar but how

it's acoustic samples telematic (so telecaster) with TH-U overloud preset "TremWorld"

overloud has a zillion presets so I usually just listen to random ones until I find something I like

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

actually the more im listening to it the more i hate it gently caress THIS IS USELESS ah well imma go eat dinner

make random stuff, don't ever destroy things, come back to it days, weeks, or months later and you might be like whoa actually that's pretty cool i think i'll add this on to it now

i make shitloads of 30s to 2 m things that i never post but will go back to occasionally and add stuff to on relisten. like literally hundreds of them. i don't even remember how half of them sound, and just give them super lazy names until they're complete or whatever (names like 'near guitar sounds' or 'slow chillish thing')

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

god gave me adhd because he was afraid of my power left unchecked

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh god so many projects named "arpy" "space" "billy bass" and other dumb poo poo

i think the "arpy" project has like 10 tracks in it, none actually laid out, just a bunch of terrible poo poo i can make terrible jams for

ugh i've hardly made anything since i got a new computer specifically so i could make music easier

it's been a hard few months, that's gonna be my excuse

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

make random stuff, don't ever destroy things, come back to it days, weeks, or months later and you might be like whoa actually that's pretty cool i think i'll add this on to it now

i make shitloads of 30s to 2 m things that i never post but will go back to occasionally and add stuff to on relisten. like literally hundreds of them. i don't even remember how half of them sound, and just give them super lazy names until they're complete or whatever (names like 'near guitar sounds' or 'slow chillish thing')

yeah this is really it. revisit every now and then when you need ideas and you might find something good, or it might still just be a pile of crap. I still have project files that date back to 2005 and sometimes they still have gold in them

you’re going to end up making tons of stuff that you hate for every one thing you like. that’s normal

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/rOMcxTK7-0w

ughhh I should really practice piano. it’s so pretty. and I feel this track hard right now. just dunno how to work it into my workflow

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

it's acoustic samples telematic (so telecaster) with TH-U overloud preset "TremWorld"

overloud has a zillion presets so I usually just listen to random ones until I find something I like

innnteresting

a lot of the music I listen to actually has bass/rhythm/treble guitar and piano, so I’ve been considering my options for using them. I shall look up these vsts.

I wonder how well it works in a tracker as opposed to like a piano roll or DAW timeline. actually yeah, how was this sequenced? piano roll in ableton? live quantized recording? just jam out with the software keys and record it in audacity?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

wayyyyy ahead of you, though they’re less 30s-2m things as much as 2~4 bars worth of 7+ tracks including each percussion part

on the one hand I like the idea of Horizontal Composition. it’s nice to write everything against the same rhythm and progression and not have to worry about things not working together, because that’s a higher guarantee that they’re gonna fit like puzzle pieces. but on the other hand, it puts the problem of arrangement front and center which is one of my biggest weaknesses.

it might be worth making 3 or 4 of those 2-4 bar patterns mentioned above, where each of those 3~4 are different but similar phrases made with the same set of instruments. even if it’s just a key change or transposition

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

with renoise at least, the phrase editor clearly sets you up for success by modularizing musical ideas and phrases, and making it easier to mix, match, chop, and vary. I should really be using that more, if for nothing else but to try a top-down approach compared to my current bottom-up approach

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

there are two countermeasures for not having confidence imo:
1. keep making stuff, keep getting better (make sure you enjoy the process itself too)
2. leave some time until you listen to your own stuff again, like on the order of months and even years.

you may be surprised when you set your horrid wip playlist on shuffle and wait what the hell did i make that, wow that's actually good ahh yeah this part needs to go though

and the only way to have a wip playlist is to make some crap

as long as making stuff is at least somewhat guaranteed to make me better at what I do, then I will worry less

Make poo poo Get Hit(s)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

shot

Pollyanna posted:

chaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYLp5uX9Yw

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

https://youtu.be/rOMcxTK7-0w

ughhh I should really practice piano. it’s so pretty. and I feel this track hard right now. just dunno how to work it into my workflow

innnteresting

a lot of the music I listen to actually has bass/rhythm/treble guitar and piano, so I’ve been considering my options for using them. I shall look up these vsts.

I wonder how well it works in a tracker as opposed to like a piano roll or DAW timeline. actually yeah, how was this sequenced? piano roll in ableton? live quantized recording? just jam out with the software keys and record it in audacity?

I use reaper for just about everything these days with piano roll, although sometimes I'll use dorico to put down music notation. a lot of VIs use keyswitches and I can't imagine doing them in a more tracker like environment, although I have a custom dorico setup so that if i write a part and put pizzacato for it, it uses the keyswitch at that point

for electronic stuff i tend to write 8-16 bars of everything stacked, then move them around to come in/out as needed

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

for electronic stuff i tend to write 8-16 bars of everything stacked, then move them around to come in/out as needed

yep, and occasionally mute a channel when things get too busy, then make more stuff. this makes for easy ways to build progression

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

todays recommendation

https://youtu.be/TEZJIarhIQk

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna for all that is good watch this and do not skip

Dude has more

Now imagine doing all of this on a sampler with 2 megs of RAM or so

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 21, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

watching now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

god

drat

this is fascinating. also really puts into perspective how pervasive and wild sampling was before DMCA (:argh:)

—-

im so glad to see the way they sampled led zeppelin and nirvana here. it’s very, very similar to how I use instrument phrases, recordings of modular patches, and other patterns in some of my tracks. like in this one. it’s really fun and I love discovering new patterns by chopping up existing ones!

ACTION ITEM: sample whole patterns and modular patch sequences, and build new interesting patterns by chopping them up.

—-

as much as I like renoise as a tracker, ive actually found it kind of tedious and annoying to write synth param/sample macro/device chain/etc automation. it’s so simple to add variation and progression to a track with it, and I am utterly in love with automation on gear like the volca drum (💛) and use it all the time on hardware, but for some reason I just don’t use it in trackers like renoise. something about its automation interface just doesn’t compare to tweaking knobs. i also hate how it fucks up patterns that are otherwise identical besides which tracks are muted. I think I need to just get over that.

ACTION ITEM: start learning and getting used to using parameter automation across multiple sections.
ACTION ITEM: write vertically instead of horizontally, and stop being so OCD over DRYed sections and patterns with 4-bar parts distinguished only by muted tracks. it’s okay to have more than two unique combinations of patterns and phrases.

—-

6:05 vad i helvete

ACTION ITEM: figure out what’s happening here.

—-

one thing this video doesn’t quite communicate is why certain things were done, chosen, processed in a certain way, etc. comes with the territory of a simple track replication, yeah, but this raises so many (stupid) questions.

wish I was at home so I could play in my daw.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 21, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I use reaper for just about everything these days with piano roll, although sometimes I'll use dorico to put down music notation. a lot of VIs use keyswitches and I can't imagine doing them in a more tracker like environment, although I have a custom dorico setup so that if i write a part and put pizzacato for it, it uses the keyswitch at that point

I assume by keyswitches you mean velocity and note-on-note-off? that’s pretty simple in renoise at least, though a bit more manual. it accepts midi input when recording too, so those params can be just as brainless. in fact it even supports non-quantized notes

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I assume by keyswitches you mean velocity and note-on-note-off? that’s pretty simple in renoise at least, though a bit more manual. it accepts midi input when recording too, so those params can be just as brainless. in fact it even supports non-quantized notes

keyswitches usually are keys that you press to have an instrument do different things, and tend to be very low keys that are outside the instruments play range. for example, you have a guitar and want to go from chord mode to legato mode, you might momentarily hit C0 to switch modes, then can switch back with D1 or something. it's more of a pain in things that take musical notation since they're usually far below the range that the instrument is intended to be played. some times control channels can be used in their stead which makes it easier for some stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh drat so some vsts allow you to switch modes n stuff by playing a really low note

i should see how that works out in renoise

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

People often think of templates as blank slates containing a bare minimum of elements, and most default templates provided by DAWs are exactly that; maybe one or two empty tracks, perhaps a return track containing a single effect. But if you regularly start work in a similar way (and even if you don’t), building a template that’s unique to your musical preferences and working style can save you lots of time when you start a new song, allowing you to more quickly capture an initial musical idea from your head into your DAW.

huh. i wonder if this might be an answer to my question of “what is an album?”. it’s a very open ended question, so maybe this question can be answered as “a collection of songs that all begin from the same set of initial artistic choices”. or in terms of the daw, “a bunch of tracks derived from one base template”.

honestly that makes sense. if we take The Slip as an example, it’s pretty clear that the tracks all sound like they came from the same starting point - similar instruments, similar fx, similar mixing/mastering, etc. it’d depend on how prescriptive and restrictive the template is, of course, and there’s always the option to deviate as needed.

maybe you can make an album not by thinking outside the box, but by drawing an interesting one. i think i might actually be able to do that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

oh drat so some vsts allow you to switch modes n stuff by playing a really low note

i should see how that works out in renoise

renoise can send any CC message you want for program or parameter tweaks too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

problem solved

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: I really wish I had started delving into this when I was younger.

quote:

When writing music, try to think about where each element should reside on this three-layered depth chart of foreground, middle ground, and background.

lmao I have no idea cmon

interesting box it is, then. first I gotta figure out what the people I like do.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bought a piano a few weeks ago and one of those music learning ipad apps and lol it’s really not like guitar where if you play the right notes at the right time it’ll probably sound okay, there’s no faking good technique :( started taking lessons and now i can only play things at like 2/3 the tempo i could before, but it actually sounds good now