Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress you, it’s Jamuary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i said gently caress YOU, IT'S JAMUARY

https://on.soundcloud.com/EU9Qx

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
working on some concepts and loops, nothing's really sequenced yet but i think i have all the sounds and phrases i want for now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

they’re real good sounds!!! i need to learn how to patch those kindsa sounds, my stuff is all very random and out of left field so it’d be nice to have a big ol library of known-good patches

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
i have so many patches and samples and synths, it's absurd, like 90 gigs. i wouldn't wish this upon anybody

i do recommend finding a favorite synth or two and learning them inside out, esp if you get good fundamentals of like subtractive synthesis or the like out of it. i can dial in a lot of sounds i want pretty quickly on a few of the ones i use frequently and am learning more about the others as i continue

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah, my main synth is Vital. i’ve dabbled in RYM2612 and VCV and a little bit of the Oberheim but that’s the synth I know the most and am the most comfortable in. it does subtractive first and foremost but can do other forms (e.g. FM :love:).

i have yet to build a vocabulary of different kinds of synth patches and what “””should””” be used when (no should). so i am still learning

also critique my jamuary for the 2nd!!! i need improvement and to improve i must get beaten up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

come check out the stream in a few mins https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-82

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

multiple ppl having problems with twitch at large at the moment jfyi

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

multiple ppl having problems with twitch at large at the moment jfyi

i stream to both twitch and bandcamp in parallel, so it should still be reachable

e: now its finished of course

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i tuned in! i had to navigate there manually but it was good

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Sat down last night and actually tried to sequence things but idk, I’m looking for feedback here I guess

https://on.soundcloud.com/ugj4z

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

killhamster posted:

i have so many patches and samples and synths, it's absurd, like 90 gigs. i wouldn't wish this upon anybody

i do recommend finding a favorite synth or two and learning them inside out, esp if you get good fundamentals of like subtractive synthesis or the like out of it. i can dial in a lot of sounds i want pretty quickly on a few of the ones i use frequently and am learning more about the others as i continue

I have wasted so much time "patch surfing" ..and that would lead to listening fatigue.
Now I try to stick to a few standards, like a basic saw lead, a decent string patch, etc.
I used to do something real similar with fonts

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Got my gear all set up again at the new place, gonna have to start jamming some more and see what I can come up with

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

agreed re: patches. our goal is to make music, not listen to cool sounds all day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not sure i agree with that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

process vs product FIGHT!!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bro if it runs Linux that's a Kronos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tell me mr anderson. what good is a volca if you can't hear it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

not sure i agree with that

fair. s/our/my

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

imma make some dark ambient and industrial horror

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

akadajet posted:

well its amazing if you want more space in your mix!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

akadajet posted:

One of the people I support got a Volca Drum for Xmas so at work today I basically got paid to make beats (ie show them how to work it). Rewarding as hell.

Also now I understand why everyone says the snare on it sucks, ew

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

snares are a pain to synthesize. I wonder if the drum can do what the 808 does in this: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-snare-drum-synthesis

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
you can solve a lot of the pain with an envelope that has a hold stage and ideally adjustable curves, unless you want to synthesize acoustic snare drums, in which case lol good luck

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/kohlbern-jary/brap230106-longing

Little something I've spent the past couple nights tinkering with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it good imo! worth building out further

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
friend is setting up a sweet ProTools rig

around a Quadra 950

with the NuBus interface and external boxes full of DSPs

that’s gonna be loving killer

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
then you realize you can't run any current-day plugins and it's gonna suck because the last tdm and rtas stuff by now is 20 years old and whatever dongle you had can't call home anymore to check if the license is legit

so congrats on a big harddisk recorder i guess

but yeah in a "let's see if i can get this pdp-11 working" that'd be interesting to document

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

then you realize you can't run any current-day plugins and it's gonna suck because the last tdm and rtas stuff by now is 20 years old and whatever dongle you had can't call home anymore to check if the license is legit

but yeah in a "let's see if i can get this pdp-11 working" that'd be interesting to document

making music on a pdp-11 would be funny

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Laserjet 4P posted:

there are workarounds for that

and why would you need current-day plug-ins when you have TDM?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

akadajet posted:

making music on a pdp-11 would be funny

especially hearing the music over the computer

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

going to start streaming again in a half hour or so https://cohost.org/thawkins/post/819668-telecharger-livestre

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like watching bad gear becasue the dudes voice is so classic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I like watching bad gear becasue the dudes voice is so classic

also the gear is so hilarious at times

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ahhhhh i don’t wanna work!!! i wanna make music!!!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Still a little miffed my boy the Yamaha RM1x ended up on there. loving amazing sequencer in that bad boy, especially for how cheap they used to be. These days, you can get a Squarp Pyramid for just a little more and holy hell that thing is absolutely perfect for my setup.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

as a music maker I am ashamed to say that computers are much better at making interesting music than I am

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Been critically listening to some albums I like and kinda want to make music similar to, wow holy poo poo I am overthinking my parts. Drums especially you can get away with repeating the same pattern for way longer than I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

killhamster posted:

Sat down last night and actually tried to sequence things but idk, I’m looking for feedback here I guess

https://on.soundcloud.com/ugj4z

been loving around with and tweaking this and think it's just about done, or very close to it

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/dc2023-rev-5/s-I1L1Eoery3Y?si=9d091de771d945d6ba7ca09d701b96ca