Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I did a thing today. I might delete it later. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_...=social_sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i think I spent 20 hours putting together i/o and routing and all software updates and licenses on my last 20 years of studio gear to not make a single bleep or bloop with it, I did get my ancient tascam fw-1082 and novation remote zero sl working with cubase 12 on win11 before i realized I would rather just noodle on the volca bass when on the couch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
crosspost from the weekend thread. I have returned to makin music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dj0PFY_Oc0

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

chipped my guitar yayyyy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

inevitability.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Silver Alicorn posted:

crosspost from the weekend thread. I have returned to makin music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dj0PFY_Oc0

Liked, subscribed, bell was hit.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiQhhLJCQ6g

Aight I finished this up. Hope you like it.

edit: sondglond https://soundcloud.com/silver-alico...=social_sharing

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 7, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what have you made all that in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also incredible congratulation and good work on finishing it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what have you made all that in

DefleMask

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
makes a sick video at the same time. good poo poo my friend

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm trying to do more live playing when I make the sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/everything-is-on-fire

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice poo poo

I can’t wait for my minitaur to arrive. I ordered thinking it would arrive a couple days later but it was gonna be like two weeks so maybe this week and now I might have to listen to it thru headphones

it takes CV as input for note (as well as midi).. does this mean I can give it any possible value ?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

awesome. makes me want to play a sonic game or something?

i had a tiny part of the system shock 2 song medsci stuck in my head for like a week so I made this https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/ss2-thing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

awesome. makes me want to play a sonic game or something?

youtube flagged it as being from sonic 3 somehow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i finally got my moog minitaur and had a chance to get some beef out of it

look at that waveform, this thing sounds insane. it has taken a while to find it’s sweet spot, and I am kinda gutted I’ve gotten my hands on this when I did because as part of the move I’ve really only got headphones to listen on and poo poo ones at that so I can only really guess lol. I look forward to getting a midi splitter so I can run this thing dawless like god intended

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i finally got my moog minitaur and had a chance to get some beef out of it

look at that waveform, this thing sounds insane. it has taken a while to find it’s sweet spot, and I am kinda gutted I’ve gotten my hands on this when I did because as part of the move I’ve really only got headphones to listen on and poo poo ones at that so I can only really guess lol. I look forward to getting a midi splitter so I can run this thing dawless like god intended

hair on tip

e: congrats on your new synth echi. maybe one day i am getting a moog too. but now its looking like more and more hardware to me means input devices and interfaces like keyboards and mpc pads, not actual synths. being able to mess with the full ableton project only with some headphones and a laptop is a really nice way to work imo

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 14, 2023

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i ordered a studiologic 88 key hammer action keyboard in order to get back to the roots and play some more expressive keys.

also i have been working on finishing an album from some good jam tracks from our livestreams, so far happy about it and not burnt out on the mixing and cutting process yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for a while I had a casio 88 key electric piano thing that actually sounded so good, and as a midi controller was extremely sweet. I only wish I had the space for it. a controller with knobs etc would probably have more utility, but gently caress I enjoyed playing that bad boy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I finished a rough draft of another song but I want to give it a few beauty passes before I put it up on youtube. this one's a doozy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m still making music. but I got soundcanvas va so that’s distracting me from finishing my DefleMask stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

openmpt has a better interface anyway. maybe I’ll get that ym2612 vst that’s out there. I don’t think it has the sn76489 though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

haven’t made music recently, been learning to play guitar. what i’ve learned has been good though and i think continuing to explore this avenue will help me appreciate and understand music more

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh there’s a vst for that too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i suck at guitar still but that’s for lack of practice and time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh there’s a vst for that too

if u dont build your fmops from raw bits and MML u are nothing …… fayker!!!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

haven’t made music recently, been learning to play guitar. what i’ve learned has been good though and i think continuing to explore this avenue will help me appreciate and understand music more

rock on

I need to play my dang mandolin

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also: I guess you can’t fade out a note with midi commands? unless I were to run an instance of the vst for each instrument and then I can change the mix for the whole thing??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

something I was wondering about is licensing/where to publish my tunes. I was thinking of releasing everything as some form of Creative Commons/copyleft, would this prevent me from selling albums on Bandcamp? is SoundCloud good for wip / impromptu posts? I assume I would want to have stuff really polished up if I’m publishing something to Bandcamp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m also worried about those bots that steal music and perform takedowns for your own dang music.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

basically I don’t mind if someone uses my music for a game or a YouTube video, I would be flattered even, if I really want to make money I’d take commissions

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIwH3C0Yr8

Well I finished one

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I like it... kinda dungeon synthy. I'd like to do more dungeon synth, but every time I try, it just sounds like a normal track by me. I've done a few dungeon synth tracks, but they're not very good. I live near a forest, so I should release it just so I can do a cover photo at night while wearing a horse mask, a black leather jacket, and an almost appropriate T-shirt (I'm thinking a shirt of one of those bands with Bong in the name).

I can never get the guitar level right when I'm trying to record volca and guitar jams... it sounded okay while I was playing, but when I listened to it again, it sounds like the guitar sounds much more prominent than I want it to, and I can't tell if it's because I hosed up the levels again or because I'm mashing the strings like a caveman.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 21, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I see what you mean. I wasn't aware dungeon synth was a thing, I was just going for a 90s video game vibe. I'm going to migrate towards more spacey scifi synth sounding stuff I think though.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I see what you mean. I wasn't aware dungeon synth was a thing, I was just going for a 90s video game vibe. I'm going to migrate towards more spacey scifi synth sounding stuff I think though.

If you want to check out this genre, it pretty much started with Mortiis in the 90s. However, as it is a genre that's related to black metal and often deals with themes associated with the ancient Vikings and a long forgotten past, it sometimes attracts certain types of people. (The "other guy" often associated with starting this genre is Varg Vikernes, and... well...). But there are a lot of cool people doing dungeon synth, including this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQvMYfJefeE and this sorceress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFbBqFGi9w

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 21, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19gWIgHysys

Oaouaugh I've been working really hard on this one and was incredibly eager to release it. It's definitely my best work so far.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c making music s: haven’t touched my guitar in like a week, too addicted to zelda

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:cripes: im such an rear end in a top hat

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

c making music s: haven’t touched my guitar in like a week, too addicted to zelda

I have the opposite going on... I've given up video games pretty much entirely because I can't put my bass down. Suddenly being able to play it without a pick feels kind of like a superpower, and I also tuned it (and the associated surprisingly well built cheapo Squier strat from 2007) down to Db. I'm trying to get better at improvising along to synthesizers, so I've been practicing that a lot too.

I also finally ordered a replacement transformer for this cool-rear end amp I found at a pawn shop in smalltown Alberta for $150 with what appears to be a busted transformer (it works, but it's really quiet, and the transformer looks like it leaked or something). It's a 20 watt solid state Darius D-23 bass amp, about half as tall as I am, and I can find no info about the thing other than that Darius was a Canadian line of amps made in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just really wanna save hyrule ok :(