Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
am i stupid or is this stupid?

quote:

Her first full-length album as Soccer Mommy, For Young Hearts, was released in 2016 on Orchid Tapes.[8] Her second album, Collection, was released in 2017 on Fat Possum Records.[9][10][11][12][13] Her debut album proper, titled Clean, was released on March 2, 2018.[14]

how could a person's third album be a debut album? what do words even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im_sorry posted:

How do you make drum patterns in weird time signatures? I'm most used to doing them in 4/4, and when I try to do it in other time signatures, I can never get them to sound like they're properly looping.

Repetition legitimizes! But you can also google your time signature's claves to get a feel for how it is usually accented.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Trying to take the step from doing 4-bar loops I dig to structuring whole songs, does anyone have any good resources on like, how to come up with that structure? Like, I can build up say a chorus part pretty well at this point, but then when it comes time to transition I'm not really sure what to do to make something that feels cohesive with the previous part but changes the energy. I realize the answer is probably just "actively listen to music you like more", but if there's some guidelines I can use it would definitely help for me.

this isn't exactly what you're talking about but I watched it the other day and I think it might give you some ideas about how to turn 4 bars into a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpWsy-f2eRg&t=331s

if the 4 bar phrases sound enough like they're building internally (and not just being looped verbatim over and over again) I bet the transitions will feel more natural. also throw in a drum fill maybe?
if the instrumentation is totally different between your verse and chorus or whatever you might could allude to the other phrase with lil teases of its instruments

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

also according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure#Variation_on_the_basic_structure bob dylan made a song that was just AAA so you can just keep hammering that 4 bars if you want and dont even transition to anything, gently caress it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao i tried to "do the right thing" and buy reason instead of pirating it, and i'm glad i chose the monthly license model because from reason 5 to 12 they took out literally the most important feature to me ("lock device to instrument")

the whole point of the software was so i could play on my keyboard while my kid played on the drumpad and vice versa but now apparently you have to gently caress around with expert mode midi channel bullshit to do it instead of just having a simple option in the context menu

glad the first month was only a euro!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've never used any of the others because i really liked the dorky skeumorphism reason has always had. it made it really easy to figure out how to do most of the things that came to my mind

i guess i'm going to try ableton though. I think you're probably right and the lite version came with something i ordered recently i just gotta remember what

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i'm having a lot of fun with bespoke but it sucks for messing with live while i'm trying to be an entertaining dad because the presets are barebones as hell and it takes some work to gin up a couple of good instruments

i probably should just keep using bespoke and build up a library of instruments

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

record it and then triple the tempo of the track in your daw

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i was trying to find a song my brother posted on soundcloud and stumbled upon this old cover i did of one of my friend's (now wife's) acoustic guitar songs and it kinda slaps (aside from the fact that i wouldn't have access to speakers that could produce non-muddy bass for another decade so the lower register is 100% absent): https://www.whyp.it/tracks/114272/why

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that sounds DELIGHTFUL and it also seems like a extremely fun thing to do

did you use ML or math or something to pluck out the vocals, or was there an isolated vocal track available already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what device are you using? i could've sworn my padkontrol had a hole on the back for a sustain pedal's mono plug in to give me a kick drum but I can't find it right now (also that might not be good enough if you're a good drummer because it was just on/off and velocity had to be added later)