Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
So yesterday I learned that Nobuo Uematsu composed on and directly sampled from a Roland SC88 Pro for Final Fantasy 7 and 8. Now I really want to get one or a software equivalent

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I wish I could keep my few remaining brain cells focused long enough to do anything remotely cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

anyone use OpenMPT? I used Modplug Tracker way back in the day when I was more serious about music. It has VST plugin support so I guess I have a frontend for Munt and Dexed now

I wish I'd stuck with making music longer. I am having a much harder time getting back into it than I'd like

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got the monoprice 606304. seems nice enough

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I want a Roland SoundCanvas

Will I actually use it? who knows

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got a mandolin

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got an Ibanez and it's a very good instrument for the price! Sound is lovely and it's easy to tune. Only problem with a mandolin is the strings bite into your fingers really aggressively

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sounds cool mate

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

crosspost from the weekend thread. I have returned to makin music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dj0PFY_Oc0

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiQhhLJCQ6g

Aight I finished this up. Hope you like it.

edit: sondglond https://soundcloud.com/silver-alico...=social_sharing

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 7, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what have you made all that in

DefleMask

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

awesome. makes me want to play a sonic game or something?

youtube flagged it as being from sonic 3 somehow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I finished a rough draft of another song but I want to give it a few beauty passes before I put it up on youtube. this one's a doozy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m still making music. but I got soundcanvas va so that’s distracting me from finishing my DefleMask stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

openmpt has a better interface anyway. maybe I’ll get that ym2612 vst that’s out there. I don’t think it has the sn76489 though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh there’s a vst for that too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

haven’t made music recently, been learning to play guitar. what i’ve learned has been good though and i think continuing to explore this avenue will help me appreciate and understand music more

rock on

I need to play my dang mandolin

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also: I guess you can’t fade out a note with midi commands? unless I were to run an instance of the vst for each instrument and then I can change the mix for the whole thing??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

something I was wondering about is licensing/where to publish my tunes. I was thinking of releasing everything as some form of Creative Commons/copyleft, would this prevent me from selling albums on Bandcamp? is SoundCloud good for wip / impromptu posts? I assume I would want to have stuff really polished up if I’m publishing something to Bandcamp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m also worried about those bots that steal music and perform takedowns for your own dang music.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

basically I don’t mind if someone uses my music for a game or a YouTube video, I would be flattered even, if I really want to make money I’d take commissions

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIwH3C0Yr8

Well I finished one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I see what you mean. I wasn't aware dungeon synth was a thing, I was just going for a 90s video game vibe. I'm going to migrate towards more spacey scifi synth sounding stuff I think though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19gWIgHysys

Oaouaugh I've been working really hard on this one and was incredibly eager to release it. It's definitely my best work so far.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ll consider that for my upcoming album, Songs for Wood

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://youtu.be/s6IVlkXBYLs

yo… did another one of these, I’m getting a better understanding of FM synthesis but I don’t know if that’s actually improved the sound lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjrWdC9pmLo

Been a while, huh. I felt like "rescuing" this track from DefleMask, so I redid it in a real tracker program with good old SoundCanvas VA. I'm pretty happy with the result. I hope the drums sound alright, I'm still learning how to deal with those.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

killhamster posted:

these tracker songs are wild, i can absolutely not wrap my head around how to make something like that with something like that

its easy, you move the cursor to where you want the note and you press the key for the note. repeat until you have enough notes. I don’t understand how people work with other DAWs

quote:

been stuck in kind of a creative rut and trying to make some new stuff, finally have a a few collections of decent loops and a kind of rough draft of something

some kind of synth-wavey sort of thing idk

I like it! good rhythm and good chill vibes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if it makes sense, I’m not classically trained and can’t read scroll notation, so I don’t think about sound visually really

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I ought to make some more music

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

last thing I did was vamping with Proteus VX but I didn’t really get too far with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hosed around with some synth patches tonight but idk I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere good with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m actually getting somewhere as of this am. it’s gonna be a lot of work but I think it’ll be good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I use OpenMPT op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JgZnv-V87c

I finished it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

humans like finding patterns in things, and an appealing structure can make a big difference.

you're absolutely right, I have a tendency to introduce variation in each phrase to sort of show off? I've noticed professional music is more restrained

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

👀 much to think about

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

nice! what are these visualizations made with?

also are you working on a video jame to go with the music?

I found a neat little visualization program called astrofox. It only works on one track at a time, so I split the project by instrument and then edited them into one video. a little work but it's worth it imo

I wish I was good enough at coding to make a jame

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://cohost.org/silveralicorn/post/2392953-take-two

I gave it a 2nd pass and tried to make it more coherent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve actually done a lot more tinkering g, so there’s a newer version on my home computer, but I’m still curious if I’m headed in the right direction