Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

LuckySevens posted:

i was thinking about building a raspberry pi fx thingy with sonic pi and loving around with my flatmates guitar

Achmed Jones posted:

i have a new raspberry pi that does almost nothing an old raspberry pi that does literally nothing, sonic pi looks dope a f

only mess around with the pi if you already have one, if you are buying, get an http://www.axoloti.com/ instead, it seems much more geared towards making music and providing you tools for it at the get-go. the pi is a full general purpose computer, which means you'll have to janitor and set things up to do audio.

i got a pi for running pure data patches, and i found it cumbersome to work with, because:
* the integrated audio on the pi is crap, iirc the dac does not go up to 22kHz so i got a cheapo behringer usb interface to fix that
* i suck at linux touching so i could not get my pure data patch to start up on boot so that it would receive midi from my apk mini and output sound through the behringer interface

maybe one day i will revisit this project because what i wanted to do is have a midi/audio-looper that I could bring along to jam sessions without barging in with a "real" computer, basically a poor turbonerd's octatrack

the sonic pi stuff sounds good but if you're already using a laptop/computer to live-code, why do it on the pi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

on the subject of live coding stuff here is a sequencer that maybe also has the yospos aesthetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaI_TuISSJE

edit: there is a comment that suggests hooking it up to the VCV rack which seems like a insanely good idea

reminder that ALL THIS STUFF IS FREE SOFTWARE meaning you dont have to pay nothign

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 8, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

nice!

does Live ever go on sale? the options seem to be insanely expensive (bc it seems kind of pointless to not get all the VSTs and stuff), educational (I'm not in the academy any more though) and piracy. Like, I want to throw a couple hundy their way and have a legit full copy, is that possible at all?

i got live 9 non-suite version and even though i miss M4L, everything else works nicely for me as i stick to free vsts and hardware stuff. i recall the price was around 300 euros or something?

edit: posting my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins
i got pro unlimited this year so now making a point to post something every week

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 12, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

LuckySevens posted:

you're making a lot of sense here, but it'd still be cool to have a standalone device you can take with whatever music kit you have.

i'll see if anyone has any cool mods, maybe a light effect sync :rodtronics:

that's what i am saying - the pi requires intensive computer janitoring to be able to function as a standalone device, you're better off with an axoloti in that case

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

oh and if you want a pro-quality DAW to play around and record in, you can't go wrong with Reaper. there's a million free plugins. it's missing Live's session view though which makes live jamming not so comfortable

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do u guys have a workflow? like start with a beat then do bass or what?

sometimes its incredibly difficult to get started because i keep posting on forums or doing some ridiculous bullshit

but usually i start with just random noodling on any instrument until i accidentally end up on a loop that sound nice, then i record it and start building on that.

i try to change things around a bit, this week i have been messing around with the orca sequencer i linked before, but it's been hella busy so no results yet

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

AtomD posted:

I don't do a lot of blips and bloops but I use FL for everything I do:
https://soundcloud.com/atomd

I'm seriously considering writing a VST for something, though.
I want to take input from my MIDI keyboard, then split that to channels 1-16, with each of which should be togglable with MIDI CC commands. Like organ stops, you know.
This will sit between my KB and the main VST I use (which is ARIA player) for when I'm playing poo poo live, so I can switch instruments on an off using something my nano kontrol/ launch control / FL Fire

not super familiar with FL and ARIA but here's how it should be possible:
assuming your MIDI keyboard transmits on channel 1, you need 16 tracks each listening to MIDI channel 1 to receive data from your keyboard
each channel should output to the channel where you have your ARIA VST (I assume it listens on many channels at the same time?).
now the trick is to configure each of those tracks so that it routes the MIDI to the correct instrument in ARIA and that should be somehow doable in FL

after you've done the routing, now you only need to map some keyboard or MIDI CCs for arming the 16 tracks so that you can toggle them on and off - ARIA will just receive incoming notes from the proper tracks and voila you can switch instruments on and off

another way is just to MIDI learn the toggle parameters in ARIA?

but definitely you dont need a VST just to do that, this is all basic DAW routing stuff, should be possible one way or the other

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

good poo poo brother

ableton live is good, and when you get ya head around modulation and automation you’ll make all sorts of dope beats

my ableton live lite suffers from a lack of inbuilt instruments. I used to use “analog” and “operator” for all sorts of poo poo

one thing i’d like to know how to do is how to send synth commands to the bass station ii over midi because I know it’s possible to program every parameter over midi and so you could not just send notes but everything but I don’t know how to create something akin to sending a txt file to the synth over midi.

I do know how to send patch changes to the synth so could pre program the synth patches and have live change patches and also how to record every parameter change on the synth to midi in ableton

also for some reason now my bass station ii won’t connect as midi over usb anymore. it runs off usb power wise so clearly the usb is working but no longer connects as midi 😖

you can use Simpler as a wavetable synth, sky's the limit https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/free-wavetable-synth-using-simpler/

get some single cycle waveforms here and just drag em in a simpler https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

Same. It's kinda funny that some famous musicians like Brian Eno are totally unapologetic about that being their way of making music, but I wonder how much of a track some artists have in their head before they start, or once they're going how much they need to experiment before they get something that's exactly right.

It's amazingly good given its age, but kinda lacking if you want to do much automation, because most of it is global to a channel, not to individual notes, and messages like note-on only contain a single parameter (velocity) besides the note#. You can get around it, but it's annoying.

My ES-9 arrived and does exactly what I wanted, which is sort of great but now means I've got no excuses. A million acid tracks incoming.

sequence CCs from your DAW as well as notes :)

sometimes i have an idea of a bassline or a tune in my head, but most often it's quite random and i am just trying to get good enough to focus it in some abstract direction

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

I don't really get how, though? Like, say I'm programming drums and I've got a CC for how open a filter is for the duration of the sample, independent of velocity - if I have a note-on for a long cymbal sample with the filter CC at 80, then a beat later a snare with the filter CC at 100, that opens the filter for both sounds. There's ways round it, but it will always be limited or awkward in ways that it wouldn't be if messages could have multiple parameters.

ahh right you only can automate one CC for one thing at a time.. I somehow thought you can send CC on different channels to the filters for snare and cymbal. in that case you can just record a loop of snare with one filter automation, then a loop of cymbal with another.

i guess that's one of the restrictions of modular - a lot of stuff is passing through the same modules or influencing each other so you can't really think of "snare track" and "cymbal track" but it's all a mish mash of percussion

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

made some music https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sun-15-mar

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have a roland xv-5080 and it makes the good sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGs55iydwzo

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

is that a dog underneath a desk

or what one might call

a subwoofer?

ayyyyyyyyy

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i made some music https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sat-21-mar

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my weekly music, krautrock-kosmische https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sat-28-mar

Jonny 290 posted:

thursday's dnb mix

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/576308850

starts around 4:00

this is the first one with my new traktor x1 box alongside the S2. its really fun and i am enjoying the setup so far

i feel like i wanna round it out with something like an apc40 or a maschine pad type box and then ill be happy. no need to get an s4 or s8

i love a nice dnb mix, i especially loved some tracks off your ultrawizardsword mix many years back

not so much time to listen on a weekend, but i will try to remember to give a thorough listen tomorrow when working

edit: i also set up a ninjam server running on my raspberry pi the other day. we tried it out with a friend from over in germany and it was pretty neat cranking out some standard 120 bpm techno house for hours with our respective space stations. i wish this became a weekly thing, it's so good for building skills to be fast when messing around on the equipment while also taking the pressure off because the other guy is also working to make it sound interesting

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 29, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the uws backlog is huge, i started listening at one point but got turned off by the "boring" house/techno sets that just weren't my taste back then. jonny's dnb set was pretty much the sole exception

might give it a shot again now that times are different and i really appreciate long dj sets without any mc talking over them

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

what is it you like about it? I've only ever really used Logic, which I really like, but kinda like the idea of using something different

for me the session view combined with ableton push is what makes it an insanely good jamming tool - i record loops, layer loops, fade them out, mess around with my hardware (but record the MIDI in clips/arrangement)

and later when i finish the session i come back to it and edit and cut and mix everything into what resembles an actual track, not 30 minutes of the same loop that got recorded because i got sidetracked in yospos

it's basically the duality of session view (grid of midi-audio clips) vs arrangement (a horizontal scrolling "traditional DAW")

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

gahhh push looks perfect for modular jams but I know I'll just end up with a bunch of stuff 'trapped' on the push that I'll never get off of it. Is Ableton by itself decent enough for the same thing? Or are you kinda stuck with just recording an hour of multitrack audio you have to chop up later (which is exactly what I do in logic)

fwiw I don't do anything with midi on the modular but the ES-9 I got lets you send 16 gates/CVs from your DAW or whatever, not tried it yet though.

push is just a specialized controller for Live. there is nothing "on" the push. basically a fancy keyboard

everything is kept in the Live project. when i am cutting and editing a finished jam the push usually is not even switched on - i use it only to be able to trigger and record clips without staring at a laptop screen

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ableton is insanely flexible but you have to pick a side. i never had any luck trying to hop between its more DAW-ish multitrack mode and clip view.

for what its worth ableton and its looper plugin is what i used for my live pa bass guitar project a while back. it worked v well for that

i have never used the looper plugin, basically the whole session view is a huge multitrack looper for me and i love it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

Oh right, I just watched the vid on the Ableton site and it looked like the Push was also doing all the sampling and like a little mini-DAW

I may as well give it a go if it's free!

i got a used push version 1 (the 2 is more fancy and more expensive) and it is extremely needs suiting

i also spent like one full year programming my own control surface scripts and even soldering together a doepfer pocket control kit, and in the end i realised that i came here to make music, not make tools and got the push

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sat-4-apr/sets

dunno i constantly keep learning new things an cool tricks to do in live. friday i set up pitch followed by scale plugins along with a pure data patch converting note values to cc values, mapping the cc to pitch and now i could change the pitch of all melodies playing on all tracks simultaneously while the scale plugin kept the bad notes out

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

I upgraded to Live Suite in March. I emailed Ableton last night and woke up to a refund of the difference between what I paid and the current sale price. That's $95, so I'm happy!

thanks for the heads up, finally got to upgrade to 10 suite. been waiting for that sale so long

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i decided to go with a middle of the road solution - get a rack sound module that can play back 16 channels simultaneously and sequence it using ableton live.

this is good because every sound nerd has moved on to vst-s or elektrons or modulars so the old 90s digital romplers you can get for cheap used AND definitely you will find more original sounds from there than downloading yet another IDM pack from the internets

i dont necessarily think computers suck at making sounds, but it is very easy to immediately dial in something you found in a youtube tutorial and never explore your tools and become familiar with them and never develop your own sound

+ being able to push the laptop on the side and interacting directly with the gear (or using ableton push only) will get you a more intimate experience making music.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i’m interesting to hear more about these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyUmBUUS1w

e: don't be fooled by the orchestral presets, there is plenty of synth sounds as well and the sound engine probably has like 1000+ waveforms to choose from when building your own sound

the only reason nobody ever bothers with making their own patches is that it's quite complicated and tedious

4lokos basilisk fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 12, 2020

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

my main problem with the $5,000 eurorack setups is never have i once ever seen a video or heard a song where anybody is doing anything but making random arpeggiated doodles and beep boops with no rhythm or backing tracks. i'm sure its fun to twiddle the knobs but its just a more expensive update of the old 'circuit bent' aesthetic.

problem with eurorack is that if you search for "modular music" you will only get MODULAR music - i.e. guys getting hard while turning the knob of their extremely rare bespoke filter doodads built from soviet nuclear reactor materials. i have been to several modular events and always without fail the best live sets are when a guy with just a couple of modules plays a nice set, followed by increasingly badass racks that devolve into noise, noise and more bespoke noise. i have said it before and will say it again that you probably hear and enjoy music made with modulars quite often - it's just that the musicians don't need to plaster MODULAR MODULAR all over their poo poo because it sounds good as it is anyway

anyhow here is something rare: modular MUSIC https://soundcloud.com/djmag/fresh-kicks-74-ann-annie-live-modular-set

just for clarification when i speak about sound modules i absolutely do not mean eurorack, i am talking about rack versions of regular synths like nord lead, nord modular, yamaha and korg and roland and kawaii and novation even. this gear you can get for $200, they come with insanely sophisticated sound engines and 16 parts with 64 notes polyphony.

none of the demos do it justice but combine this with the evergreen life hack of "there is no such thing as a boring over-used preset if you have effects pedals/plugins" and you are good to go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPHEMSLM2g&t=387s

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

poo poo I need to learn to play the piano

here's some stuff https://www.pianoscales.org/major.html

but if you want more instant gratification i suggest messing around with an arpeggiator

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

by the way you can run your own modular in the computer and it's free too https://vcvrack.com/

i have had lots of fun with it and it hooks up nicely into DAWs using the VST bridge plugins it comes with

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B40AizE6i2g

mylarmelodies explaining 'try to emulate things you like' modular fun much better than I did, should be doable in vcvrack too

that's a good idea

should put it on the list of good ideas i never get around to doing

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

this week and last i have started to play around with drums. i got a yamaha dtx12m pad thing a while back but now it is flashed with new firmware and i also got some proper kits on it thanks to yamaha offering them free for download

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/fri-24-apr

i am happy with the overall sound but the "solo" could be better and some things bug me with the mix but it's a record as I have never made such a short track

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have an akai mpk mini2 that i got for having something small to play gigs with and carry around in a backpack and i like that it has a built in arpeggiatior. that is extremely fun and a good creative tool

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there is a new cool unofficial firmware out for volca sample, now you can sequence it better from a computer and it does not require 10 midi channels. https://ranzee.com/volca-sample-unofficial-firmware/

volca sample is already a pretty awesome little box for all kinds of fun things, now it is even better

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I saw “loom” is like$15 and I have no additive synths so maybe I’ll take the dive. feels like I should have at least one of every kind of synth vst

don't be an incredible dumbass and pay for anything when you have obviously not checked out some available stuff that is free https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows/instruments/free/newest

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly i'm ok with paying for stuff now. it's a privileged position, to be sure, but i am absolutely impressed with my S2 and X1 and am happy to throw money at Native Instruments

Free poo poo is super good though as long as they don't get too wacky with the interface

i pay for stuff too. but this comes after years of experimentation with free stuff to push myself and my tools so now i know what i want and when i pay for something it does not end up unused

going hmm 15 bucks that's not a lot of money i will get all different types of synth even though i barely know what's out there.. sorry that's a recipe for wasting a lot of money and ending up doubly sad because it turns out that even if you pay for a synth you still need to know what you are doing in order to make it do what you want

for example i know my limits, i am never paying for a fm synth. i got dexed for free, tried it once and put it back.
TAL synths - i used many of them in my first tracks many years ago until i got a physical yamaha workstation with a keyboard and realized i just care more for romplers

you can make this journey with paying 20 bucks here, 20 bucks there and still not make something that you are happy with, or you can try out some free stuff, learn it and buy something really great after you really know what you want

like probably the first most important thing is just to get good monitor speakers or headphones so you can hear what you are doing

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

rip florian schneider

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

hi i made a new album last week

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/

trip report: very nice :)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

thank you :)

nerds may be interested to know that the 'bells' sequence was essentially random notes in a scale slowly fed into a delay set to 13/8 (or maybe 13/4). the weird delay time lets each new note kindof slip into the sequence that makes it feel like it's evolving organically.

also yeah rip florian :(

i set up a generative pure data patch to do something similar, except these things seem to work wya better with modular or just analog gear.. there's something in the water

alternatively i should just try to set something up in live and turn off the screen for a while

anyway thanks for the inspiration :)

Trashman posted:

I’m thinking bout getting an electronic drum kit so I can learn to play the drums while stuck in lockdown, good idea / bad idea? I know nothing about music theory I just think it would be fun and I like to drum on things all the time anyway...

i got a yamaha dtx 12m with pedals and i like it

my downstairs neighbor does not like it. banging the thing is still pretty drat loud especially if you use pedals.

also ymmv:
i have played the high end roland kits at stores and they are almost like the real thing, cheaper digital kits are like playing a cast iron skillet covered with some excuse for rubber padding and may actually damage your wrists if you play too much

i got the dtx 12m knowing it would never make me instantly happy and it would be yet another instrument to be conquered and made to sound nice

basically if you want a digital kit, go try out things in a store, see how you like it

i actually came here to post this video. i followed it along with a drum roll sample that i found on a weird website, but you can find your source material by getting some breaks collection or something somewhere.

so if you don't want to get into breakbeats or dnb, and you have never harbored any wish to be a dnb producer you can safely watch this video. otherwise prepare for a life of ruin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCnM8qxOy8

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

this is more woodwork than music but the thread on the body is stripped here holds but is loose and won’t hold for much longer.

what’s best way to fix this? I have PVA .. pva and matchstick then redrill????

fwiw every poor gigging guitarist who does not have a straplock has the strap taped to the guitar

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

got my launchkey mini mk3 yesterday and it's very good. i guess it does a whole bunch of ableton poo poo that i don't care about. but it also lets you use the drum pads as drum pads and the knobs as instrument knobs which is all i want. maybe i'll care about launching clips from the pads later, but not right now

im trying to find a vst (or whatever) to map the white keys to specific scales. i know there's a plugin called Cales that does this, but it's windows-only. any ideas?

what daw are you using? if it's Live that's already having a Scale plugin built in i think

there's ReaControlMIDI if you are on Reaper

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah i use live but the scale midi effect just forces to scale rather than mapping. so if you're playing a minor pentatonic and just going left to right on the white keys it'll go 1,1,3,4,5,5,7 rather than 1,3,4,5,7 (which is what I'm after). it wastes a lot of keyboard space

basically what echi says, take a midi effect rack and you can map every individual note to another note coming out. it is a bit tedious to do but worth it in the end as you only need to do it once.

KoRMaK posted:

i took a project as far as i think i can take it creatively for now, so i decided to polish it up and make it a bit production ready, render it down to mp3, before i put it on the shelf
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/pg-8-x86_a_02

something seemed off about the mix at first when i pressed it to mp3, but i bumped the bitrate from 192 to 320 and it sounds waaay better, nearly the same as when i hit play in my daw. when i make fl studio play the project live it sounds fuller. its like the sounds are cutting each other out, like an auto mix is going on or something.

here's the stats in case anyone wants to play along
code:
Tempo
107 bpm

Song Key:
F Blues
F Minor
Ab/G# Major
if you got any question about rig, instruments, effects, or process or whatever, please, ask away :cheers:

pro tip you can upload lossless audio to soundcloud too, no need to mess with mp3 bitrates :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

so i guess im writing a plugin to do what i want with respect to scales lmao

i had to install xcode :mad:

writing a plugin with xcode sounds extreme, have you tried playing around with a pure data patch before? that's infinitely easier to get a proof of concept with and you can always wrap it in a plugin using camomile later

it may be a headache due to the visual programming paradigm but for testing quick MIDI mangling ideas i always use pure data