Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After a decade and a half of trying to figure out scales/modes on guitar, the day I learned them as per their relationship to white keys on a piano about 2 years ago was probably my biggest musical eureka moment since I learnt palm muting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

im_sorry posted:

I'm thinking of getting an Arturia Microfreak. If someone has an opinion on whether or not this is something I should do, I won't get paid for a few days, so you have time to plead your case. Also, much like you get fries with a burger, what sorts of effects pedals go with it, if any?

Microfreak is good.
Microfreak with delay and reverb pedals is great.
I just have a cheap poo poo behringer verb and delay after mine and it really brings it to life.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Am I the only person who plays guitar who gets nothing from the minor pentatonic scale, especially when used as the basis for solos?
I mean, I "get it" theory wise but it just does nothing whatsoever for me on any emotional level, it's like listening to a plain tortilla chip

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

harmonic minor scale > minor pentatonic, but I still like pentatonic scales

Harmonic minor is tied with Lydian for me for fun modes.
Although mixolydian flat 6 is up there.
Its got a complicated name but it's all the white keys on a piano from G to G except instead of E you play E flat and it is instant Trent Reznor soundtrack

It's so good on a too much reverb piano sound

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Piano is just long buttons anyway

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
And music is math

(like anime is blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What do y'all do when you are feeling really enthused to play (in this case guitar) but also feel creatively bereft?
I wanna write stuff but am struggling.
Had a jam along to 2 chords and a drumbeat I laid down yesterday and it was fun but that dumb voice in the back of my head is going "that's just Technical Difficulties but worse" or "this is 3 Devin Townsend riffs sellotaped together".

I genuinely feel envy for bands/guitarists that are able to say this is simple/obvious but it works.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgotdnJRGlo
I started watching this and within 8 mins opened Cubase and had a mad little 3/4 riff sesh. Blew out the creative cobwebs for sure

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

4lokos basilisk posted:

please dont take this the wrong way: i admire your devotion to building the ultimate beast setup for whatever you want to do, but its one of those things i would never personally do or suggest anyone to do

its the sort of crazy unorthodox approaches that may end up with something super cool down the road

I am envious of this beast setup but personally I would probably spend the money on other bits (like an Axe FX, new monitors... OK fine, more RAM too).
I love the idea of having 30 different articulations on strings but I don't have the patience and or skill to make the most of such things.

Venus Theory, one of my fave music youtubers (who recently did a very candid video about the effect youtubing has had on his music and mental health which is a hard but worthwhile watch for anyone with anything even approaching artistic temperament) , did this with a viola and its super cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssp_A-T5hZI

(buy cheap viola with no idea how to play it, make a sample library from it anyway)

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 1, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Im definitely hypercritical of myself but slowly getting more accepting of "is this fun to play or listen to? Yes? Then it's OK."

Generally the few people who I send my scribbles to have positive feedback and, although I don't necessarily believe them, it's important to remember what a niche of a niche of a niche being someone who writes and records and mixes all parts of a tune is. Most of my friends are musicians but very few of them have even the first idea about recording or programming drums or whatever.

It's easy to get blindsided by hearing "aNyOnE cAn MaKe a ReCorD NoW"; it's true, sure, and it's all definitely more accessible than it was 30 years ago but it's still far from being watching TV or playing videogames. And this sentence is often also followed with "just means there is more poo poo to wade through"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

putting stuff together of pretty much any kind is fun for me, and playing with sounds to get them to how it sounds in my head. it's a fun hobby that i get a lot of enjoyment out of, and the amount that i spend on it is a drop in the bucket compared to even dumber stuff like cars

I hope I didn't come across as mean, I absolutely get how your setup appeals to you and its clear how much enjoyment you get from it- I enjoy the posts and also am not totally convinced you might not secretly be hans zimmer.
It's a different approach to mine, but that's what makes music interesting and fun! Mixing orchestral bits with guitars etc but not like yngwie is something I enjoy doing and tbh it'd make my life so much easier if I could stack ampsims the way you do string libraries :)

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 2, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Renoise is great for chopping up Amens (and other breaks too...i guess... But why would you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aACxKhJ-GY

I like a lot of DnB, especially the darker old Metalheadz kinda sound but at this point it's as much a descriptor of tempo (160-175bpm) as it is anything else.

I really recommend the Ed Rush/Nico album Torque to anyone with even a passing interest in DnB: in a genre thats heavily Bladerunner influenced this is pure cold hard scifi music and I love it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

im_sorry posted:

Why would you not?

Other breaks are good don't get me wrong, but there's something I find zen about making dumb mangled Amens.
Think is also a real fun one for messing with and resequencing

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm trying to learn some old In Flames songs and I can't figure out if these are hard or I'm just out of practice.
It's probably the latter tbh.
Still, haven't challenged myself to learn a whole song in ages so this is fun and I am really appreciating the warp in Cubase so I can slow down tricky bits to learn them

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I tend to think of house as having more "real" sounding instruments mixed in with it whereas techno is generally more synthetic.
This is probably totally wrong.
The only house subgenre I have liked so far is hard house and that's got barely any "real instruments" in it so I've already proven myself wrong.

I also associate vocals (whether sung or sampled) more with house than techno

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

so one of the recommendations in the book was to listen to some music you wouldn’t normally listen to

I thought of some band I’ve never heard anything by and ended up checking out this track by the prodigy

https://youtu.be/YV78vobCyIo

anyway that was a complete failure because this song fuckin slaps

The acid line in this song is one of my all time faves, it's so hype

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Like with guitar, the secret is copious reverb and delay.

For reals though, Piano is definitely one of those instruments that when it doesn't sound good there's nowhere to hide and it seems like the learner plateau happens a lot faster than guitar. I am not good at piano

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 22, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I did a metal, testing out amp sims.

It's... Very Bolt Thrower.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/EdkJ2

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Woolwich, I used the Brainworx Diezel Herbert for guitars, and their GK for bass. Bxtube screamer on guitars and bass, guitars double tracked, just one for bass. Slate Drums 5.5 for the drums but it's an old kit from an earlier version I tweaked a little.

Pollyanna:
(hypocrisy) I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress about these things, you seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself and anyone at any level is going to have criticism- look how many people hate Bieber, or Metallica, or Skrillex or whatever.
If you like your music then that's key, if anyone else does that's a bonus.
(/hypocrisy)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pedals have that same tactility thing synths do

Yeah my Arturia vsts sound ace, especially once through some native instruments effects or whatever

But

It's not the same as playing my Microfreak through a couple of cheap behringer pedals into my guitar amp on the clean channel

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just gone through the horrors of having to reinstall my OS and the bleakest part is downloading/attempting to sign into all the various launchers and authentication apps for music.

Cubase wasn't too bad (didn't reinstall any of the included content yet but I barely use anything that isn't the DAW and the effects) but NI, Izotope and anything with Ilok is a loving nightmare.
Even though I had all the NI stuff in a separate drive they've updated Native Access and now it won't see any of it so I have to reinstall.

At least this is making me think about what I use and how important to me various things are l, but sunk cost fallacy is chewing my consciousness

Rapidedit: especially as NI and Izotope are the same group now, let me have all of it in one place!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah, that's definitely going to be some stuff I try to integrate. Adding some automation, working with longer patterns and adding fills and stuff. Going for like an early NIN/Skinny Puppy kind of thing too so building up a good library of samples will let me add some color to things. Is there a good way to downsample wav files in the way early digital samplers did? I know that's really important to get that low fidelity crunch on things, electribe wants it's samples in 16 or 24 bit though so I'll have to fake it

Bitcrusher plugins are your friend here. Reduce the sample rate on the plugin to 12 and either record that to a new track or bounce/render the sound before it goes onto your electribe.
Playing stuff back at the wrong pitch is also a great way of getting this sort of vibe, particularly stuff like tambourines. A tambourine 2 octaves down is a sound you've probably heard a hundred times but it's not immediately obvious what the source is.

One of the most important and best scores of all time was based on this principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpYowxlwsU

For more general NINny Puppy sounds, you'll be after sounds from the older sample based drum machines, search for the Vintage Drum Machine archive, it's been floating around forever, is just over a Gb in size and has every drum machine you could ever want in there, as well as a bunch of other sounds from synths and samplers to use.
The Arturia EMU and Fairlight are excellent if you have V Collection, not just for the sounds but the instant fuckup the sound engines can impart on your own- I think a lot of Pretty Hate Machine was an EMU, or similar

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That MS20 filter gets really gnarly and chewy, I stuck it after the actual Arturia MS20 plugin on an acid sequence I made (already with filter mod going on) and it sounded killer.
Gonna run some breaks through it I reckon

also Waves H-Comp is free for about another 36 hours

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

akadajet posted:

tell me mr anderson. what good is a volca if you can't hear it?

One of the people I support got a Volca Drum for Xmas so at work today I basically got paid to make beats (ie show them how to work it). Rewarding as hell.

Also now I understand why everyone says the snare on it sucks, ew

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

i wanted to make that mini-concept album but i’m too scared to start

something about not already knowing exactly how to do something stops me from doing it at all

Anxiety collab?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So it's agreed.
Each song will increase in bpm from vapourwave at the start to terrorcore at the end

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

c music s: turns out that having an orchestra vst does not, in fact, mean i have any idea how to make something

also turns out this orchestra vst is owned by people who hate me and want me dead so that also sucks!

i approb :slick:

i wanna make something like this someday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJS0LHW_-WA

So disappointing Spitfire turned out to be founded by a total shitbag

Or did JK Rowling release a kontakt library?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm really fired to make music but everything either needs updating or reinstalling.
Maschine would be so much nicer if it wasn't constantly throwing shitfits over where plugins that haven't moved are. Ironically enough it's only other NI plugins it wont find :catstare:

On the plus side, installing Microfreak 5.0 on my hardware, looking forward to samples and grains on it after messing around with EFX Fragments

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 5, 2023

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I wonder if there's a way to make note colours different on Renoise? C is blue, D is purple etc, sorta like the pads on a Maschine?
Might make navigating a part a little quicker when you can see where, say, the bass changes from G to E but there's already so many colours and info to parse already it might just add to the visual (re)noise.
Be interesting to try though

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've just this minute bought Redux, the "vst" version of Renoise because I'm on an IDM kick and since Rewire got killed so did my Renoise>Cubase workflow for making irritating bug beats

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I dislocated my elbow on my dominant (left) arm and had surgery so much of my music is out the window for a bit.
Time to get into generative VCV I guess, I've got a few modules (befaco, instruo, audible instruments, vult, a couple other bits like chronoblob and plateau so I can follow along with Omri).
Even just pissing around with not-marbles and a bernoulli gate it's amazing how far you can go

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can you sample the macaw?
Bet it makes some interesting noises!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Plank Walker posted:

any good resources for learning to use reaper (or any DAW in general)? got inputs and everything set up, just looking for some tips on setting up a workflow for recording guitar and the user guide is just descriptions of every menu and modal dialog which doesn't really help when you're not sure what you're trying to do

A bit more about your recording change would be helpful :)
If you've got your ampsim set up as an insert effect on an audio channek only the dry (pure, uneffected) guitar signal is recorded so you can figure out a riff, get a good take, set loop points then play with tonez to your heart's content.

If you have an amp mic'd up then what you recorded is mostly what you get, but you can eq it or add effects after. In this scenario if you recorded something with heavy distortion and wanted to hear it clean, you'd need to rerecord it I'm afraid.

Rule of thumb for guitar eq is they are midrange instruments, more often than not you wanna sweep a high pass filter or shelving eq (ie cut all the low end) around under 100hz (ish) to cut out flub without losing weight, and around 500 hz is where boxiness resides, a broad gentle cut here can help with clarity. 4—8k is where fizz resides, narrow cuts (but not too extreme) can get rid of abrasive frequencies here.

Remember that everything exists to serve The Song and a great powerful guitar tone on it's own will likely sound like rear end from a butt in a full mix

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's a compliment

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kernel Sanders posted:

ive come to peace with the fact that my actual interest in music is building my ideal dawless setup, more than making music.

kinda like model trains.

This is fine, as long as you are having fun (and not getting into huge debt!)

I think I might be being really fussy but i am struggling to find a drum sampler vst that suits my needs.
Battery 4 and Groove Agent SE are both supercapable but the gui resizing is absolutely gross on a 1440p monitor!
I have Redux (the Renoise VST) and tbh I think that is where I'm headed unless I can get my brain around Kontakt which seems like absolute overkill for "hit pad, play sound (which I may or may not gently caress with)"

If it wasn't for choke groups on hi hats and crazy midi routing required to play as a kit I'd just stack up the stock Cubase sampler.

If only there were some way to link Ableton Lite with Cubase so I could use drum racks... Oh wait there was but it was put down.

(i am absolutely being fussy as an excuse to not make music)

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 23, 2023

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

haven’t done music poo poo in a long while

it still overwhelms me. i still don’t know what i like or what i want to do. i still have no higher-level planning steps for making music. i also got super distracted by guitar and although i learned a lot i’m unsure how to apply it

what i would love is some structure and framework to work off of, a paint-by-numbers or something. for nothing else than to just actually get something done for once lmao

Have you (no snark) tried recording a cover?
As in sit there and properly dissect a song down to the last hi hat in all its elements?
I found this really helpful for ear training and also finding my way round Cubase when i started properly getting into recording myself
If nothing else I learned that Arch Enemy, despite sounding quantized as gently caress, actually have _insane_ tempo variations in their songs (Dead Bury Their Dead was what I was having a go at)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The other wisdom is just dump a song you like into your timeline and copy its structure, then replace with your own bits

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Arturia are doing a freebie effect plugin til January, a modulatory multifx thing 'Efx REFRACT"

https://www.arturia.com/products/software-effects/efx-refract/overview

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 21, 2023

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://music.ishkur.com/

This is a good starting point for electronic music and seeing what came from where and listen to examples.
It's a bit of a mare to navigate on a phone though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm having that dumb thought I get once in a while about trying to make a track or EP using just one sample pack or sound source