Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I've been using FL for the last 7-8 years and I get periodic existential anxiety that everybody else I know who makes oontz oontz music uses ableton.

Then I remember I've got harmor and they don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the workflow difference between the two leads to different music I reckon, and why loving around with both has its own benefits

the main takeaway I’ve gathered is that ableton doesn’t use FLs infuriatingly irritating window management system, it’s a lot easier to use in one view and lends itself to laptops better.

...but it’s also reliant on a bunch of hot keys, and though FLs mixer view is more cumbersome for routing, it can do some fun things that iirc ableton can’t,

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
harmor is also the best soft synth, period

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what can’t it do

It’s probably the FL mantra of having a million ways to do something, but if I recall correctly the only way to do multiple effects chains in ableton is through racks and groups. With FL I can arbitrarily connect any channel with another (I am probably wrong that ableton can’t do this though.)

my faders also look much cooler when I make them dance by automating them with a peak controller (no joke this is how I side chained when I started).

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
well hey look there’s the existential crisis again

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
idk if anybody has posted this yet but ableton has reset their trial and extended it to 90 days.

Time to see if I can finally grok the workflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
picked up some audeze lcd-2s. they sound good and make me look like Princess Leia.