Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

FM8 is great for figuring out operator relationships because the partial view updates in real time as you edit the matrix, so once you see what self-modulating, chaining modulators etc. actually does to the spectrum it becomes kinda intuitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.scribd.com/doc/97034039/Fantom-Tweakbook-e5

I got a print version of this with a used SonicCell once, great resource

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I got launchpad pro because at the time I needed the ability to set up a custom grid sending two octaves to four midi channels and that's piss easy with novation's component system

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there's a sale underway on a whole bunch of scaler plugins https://www.waproduction.com/bundles/view/ultimate-midi-bundle

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Penisface posted:

writing a plugin with xcode sounds extreme
With JUCE it's almost like SynthEdit, you can just snap premade filters together and it has a GUI editor

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I fear not the man who has learned 10,000 chords, but I fear the man who can play the same chord 10,000 times on beat.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah you can do it in any daw, but let's be honest, the way the ui is designed will always shape what solutions do you reach out first when producing and influence your sound
I hate that the ccs aren't one-click in bitwig, but that's not the workflow they want to imprint

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

People talk poo poo about Superlux highs but they're really good at making you tame the cymbals :v: I've used the HD668b for years, it takes a while to understand their quirks but they're real detailed

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If it's a USB mic, you are setting the gain from your audio interface :ssh:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:eyepop:

I just lived with the wrong path for years, maybe it's finally time to fix this

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Raum owns. feeling turbo dumb that I spent so much on other reverbs

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I have the first revision of the UMC0204 which doesn't reliably work in samplerates above 44.1, Behringer tried putting out multiple firmware updates to fix it, gave up, removed the SKU and released the UMC0204HD :mad:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Penisface posted:

sorry if this is actually something that classical composers have to put up with and there is no easy way out. requiring 100+ gigs of memory is still firmly in video/3d artist realm for me
it's easier to run a full-scale mockup on a single machine now but having multiple slave pcs running vienna ensemble to handle individual orchestra sections is the standard for pros. you edit your arrangement on your main workstation but get audio back from all the other ones, kind of like working with rack modules. I guess you could compare it to a real-time render farm

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i really wish that some of these companies would offer 'hobbiest' discounts because the barrier to entry is an insane amount of money. but i also understand that it's a very limited appeal product that's staggeringly expensive to produce.
we are very much at hobbyist prices rn, vsl symphonic cube used to cost twelve thousand american dollars

also the hw solo violin can be pretty good if you solo one of the close mics (the L/R channel only options ministry of rock guitars use to switch between DI and amped) so it doesn't jump around so much

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 3, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the og band-in-a-box is also still going strong and has an insane database of nashville session musicians playing to every chord change

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the software is literally called BIAB, put out by PG Music

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kernel Sanders posted:

holy poo poo, I just adjusted my guitar strap, lifting my guitar from balls height to nipple height and suddenly I can play more than 5 minutes without my wrist trying to explode

made me remember House MD of all things making fun of people destroying their wrists with low slung playing in a patient vignette

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

humplifier pickups

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

if you're on composer cloud get the 25th anniversary sample CD converted compilation, soundtemp used a lot of loops from there

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

http://media.soundsonline.com/manuals/EW-25th-Anniversary-Collection-User-Manual.pdf

quote:

EastWest Symphonic Adventures
EastWest Percussive Adventures 1
EastWest BT Breakz from the Nu Skool
EastWest BT Twisted Textures
EastWest Adrenaline
those have samples used in RO for sure. idk about the others

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's loud as gently caress to use

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I still use patterns I learned from extracted mobile java game midis

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

if you buy tracks from beatport they already have key metadata for dj software, actual key too, not some dumbass proprietary symbol

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

you have bad taste. it’s good op

you seem to assume "demo for arranger keyboard" is an insult :mad:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

maybe this is too far off topic, but can anyone recommend a good usb-c dac?

the two good models I know (NwAvGuy's Objective DAC and the Atom DAC from JDS Labs) use Micro USB and USB Type B respectively, is a dongle out of the question?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

they advertise the ways you can use it on the go with a powerbank connected and don't tell you it has the loudest loving keys

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I like dBpoweramp for batch jobs like that but that's a paid license. try sox in a bash script

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

is this just spleeter again? the icons in the app look like the spleeter 5stems model instruments

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Intelligent Body Music :hai:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you might have noticed how, like, 140bpm tracks seem to have the good part at 0:55. we've been stacking 16 bar loops since the beginning of time

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bro if it runs Linux that's a Kronos

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

(I can’t deal with the clocks at the start of time so i skip them)
that's where the starting gun was

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

did you get the 17hz eye resonance

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

its easy, you move the cursor to where you want the note and you press the key for the note. repeat until you have enough notes. I don’t understand how people work with other DAWs

same but you press the left mouse button

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kernel Sanders posted:

this is technically true, in the same sense “VIM is generally one of the fastest ways to edit text”. it certainly can be but there’s a learning curve and you’d better be ready to commit a lot of stuff to muscle memory

the Sibelius numpad workflow is the vim of sequencing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

writing complete arrangements top to bottom is probably the only real skill I have. too bad I have to make a living writing mediocre code instead

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oh poo poo oh god

best I can do in text is that if you sing and hum to yourself a lot it's fantastic for naturally grokking four part harmony. might need to kill the part of you that cringes first, especially if you were raised in a city. maybe you've noticed that a lot of people seem to be able to sing second voice to random songs without really being able to explain it. you can practice and build on that! solfege as a practice depended on this. ime just being able to imagine the 2-4 part voice leading from a melody you thought up is usually enough to sit down at a sequencer and bang out all parts without thinking

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

with the saw being stacked pwm squares it's the only synth I know recreating a bitcrushed digital sound in a fully analog way

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

are you talking about the pro-800?

lmao I'm an idiot, kept reading that you got the korg poly-800. maybe because the poly-61m is my white whale and dominates my thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah the one that got away (they modded it with analog filter controls!) was $240 at the time but pre-tech bubble employment I couldn't just procure this kinda dough