Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i did it, i made more music, because that's really unusual

another one that i've been working on here and there. actually took some time to do some mixing and mastering this time even! it took me a long time to be satisfied with the balance of it with so much stuff going on

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/the-beauty-beneath

not completely perfect, but oh well, pretty good

This was posted a little while ago but I really enjoy what you've made here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

im_sorry posted:

Well, generally I start with a 64 step drum/instrument 1/instrument 2 pattern that I generate with the Beatstep Pro and/or draw notes for manually in the DAW, after plinking away at a MIDI keyboard until I get something I can use. Then I'll copy and paste that pattern a few times, copy it to some additional layers (change parts to chord sections when needed or whatever), have parts repeat where they need to, transpose some parts up and down if it doesn't end up sounding lovely, reduce and increase the number of instruments when needed, edit the sequences to sound different from the other layers, etc. Then I do the intro and outro. But it's all generally based on what I come up with in those initial patterns.

What usually ends up happening is a few bars of intro, then the song kicks in, goes for a while, cuts down to a couple instruments, builds back up, goes on, then the ending part at about three minutes.

You could try changing some of your default structures. Like, what happens if you make a song that's six minutes long? Or ten? What can you do to keep the phrases you've written interesting in those cases? Or you could try writing a song that doesn't pivot around a breakdown, maybe a more traditional verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure. Or see if you can write a cool song using 32-bar AABA.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

im_sorry posted:

Finally, after having the unlabeled cassettes of "The Air Conditioner Graveyard" for like two years, and getting the labels and covers done early this year, I've come up with the motivation to start putting them together for shipping and sent out some. I have to cut the middles out of the tape labels with scissors, since the printing place couldn't do it, so they look a little handmade, but I think it adds to the charm. I've only been sending them to people I know personally so far, but I'm thinking of putting them up for sale on my Bandcamp page at some point for $4.20 + shipping. I had around 40 cassettes made, and the total price for everything was around $275 Cdn. I'm probably losing money in the end, but I would have wasted that money on something else that was completely stupid, so I don't really care.

There's also a Sunrise Records in the mall here, and they sell stuff by local artists, mostly CDs - I wonder if they'd stock a couple copies of my tape....

It's super cool that you made tapes of your music! It sounds like a lot of fun

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I finally picked up some flat-response monitor headphones and oh my god I can hear everything. :staredog:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

4lokos basilisk posted:

what make & model?

I got the old Sony MDR-7506es. I was also looking at the ATH-M50X but people seemed to complain those were a little uncomfortable, so I went with the Sonys. I was wearing them for a good 3 hours just now working in Ableton and they never got uncomfy, so I'm pleased with that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

4lokos basilisk posted:

those look good. i think i have used them once or twice
my daily driver since like 10+ years ago is beyerdynamic dt770 pro, and recently i started using it with sonarworks reference which flattens the freq response even more, and i am pretty happy

still its a good idea to listen on different speakers / cans to get an idea how the mix translates, too (this is mosty advice for myself because i seem to only listen on the main headphones recently)

For sure, I also try to also listen to my stuff on my phone and on the crappy speakers on my TV. I figure if it sounds okay on those then it's probably good to go