Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So I managed to get some super sweet pictures of my banjo the other day:

It's not a very expensive one (It's a chinese make) but the sound of it actually isn't all that different from the really expensive ones, and it looks really pretty, which is something that the $1000 banjos just don't do, apparently.

I've wanted to get into electronic music for a long time but I've never really felt very comfortable with any of the interfaces. They all seem very, very clunky ;-;

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Penisface posted:

on the subject of live coding stuff here is a sequencer that maybe also has the yospos aesthetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaI_TuISSJE

edit: there is a comment that suggests hooking it up to the VCV rack which seems like a insanely good idea

reminder that ALL THIS STUFF IS FREE SOFTWARE meaning you dont have to pay nothign

Ughhhh. So I was involved in the community where this was made and gave advice to the author before it became a music program (it was going to be a programming tool originally).

It looks like a super cool thing! But I have really bad memories of that place. I went through about 2 years of some repeated harassment by an admin on the slack that was never sorted out, and then got kicked out because I finally, finally lost my cool at them and it happened to be the one day the owner was in (They lied to my face and said it was just a tempban, too). After asking other admins to deal with it and going through every single process I could to get it resolved. Turns out about 5 people if not many, many more left the community because of that single person.

So my cursory warning about Merveilles: Use the tools, just, don't touch the community with a bargepole.

E: back On Topic - I used VCV Rack a while back? It seemed cool but I had zero idea of what I was doing and felt I needed to learn a lot, lot more. Anyone have any articles on like, synthesizer theory or explanation or something? I didn't find anything worth reading ;-;

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

kaboofa posted:

Andrew Huang has a good 20ish minute video on modular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWslSTTkiFU

Dang, thanks for that video. It's the same stuff I was reading last night but I feel like it stuck a little bit better

I'll check out the rest of the stuff when I'm not cooking bacon :)

pointsofdata posted:

This guy's videos are a good intro to vcv rack https://youtu.be/pDmSy3PukTQ

Zaxxon posted:

if you wanna go pretty deep you can read sound on sound magazines "synth secrets" articles.

Ahhh thank you all :) Looks like my to-do list just got a bunch added to it :)

-

So one system I remembered about is called Pure Data, I didn't do much with it but it has a really interesting presentation and workflow, there's two good videos on it here:

https://youtu.be/FkmMzqohsDo

E: now I remember why I dislike VCV Rack, half the dials aren't labelled so I have zero idea what I'm doing :v:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

LuckySevens posted:

i settled on messing around with this new beta app cables.gl (which is compatible with blender!!!) and ableton, will report back

I tried to join the beta but uhhhhhh. I registered, and the confirmation code went through, but it bugged out and said I wasn't confirmed when I tried to login. Tried to re-register and it said I *was* confirmed, and could login. I sent a support request and they haven't answered yet, it's been two days :S

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

a lot of it is programming stuff like fades or turning up a filter to actually have a _track_. like I'll make the drum track build on itself and that's fine, have some pads up the volume until they're there, but then I don't know what to do with my melody. I'll have a handful of bars that I can put in different order and stuff, and it's fun while I'm playing it live, but listening to it after is just super lifeless and bad.

basically the problem is creativity and skill. the lack of skill is both with ableton and at music, generally speaking. it's just frustrating when I jam for a while and have a blast and then can't figure out how to get the jam into 3 minutes I'd actually want to listen to

for what it's worth I've thought of a dozen celtic tunes and can play them out on banjo, digital music is a completely different skill and my 19 years of physical instrument experience doesn't matter for poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I got an OP-1 and am finally loving making little pieces of digital music. I got it because my poor little heart had adored it since 2016, but also because it is a sunk cost fallacy -- I have to use it, otherwise why did I shell out the money?! And it is working, and it really does make intuitive sense to me :)

My one difficulty, though, I think, is that layering and sectioning(?) is a problem. I can make a nice looping thing that sounds nice, and maybe add a complimentary piece to it, but adding something to a drum beat is a bit difficult and it tends to not fit well, and I can't really take my music beyond that section?

I kind of want to do a Music Theory, however it's mostly physical-music focused and goes over things I can't really map to the instruments I know, nor the OP-1 :(

Any help?